Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted on behalf of ThorHammerstein courtesy of the Adopt-A-User program, Gaming Edition.

NOTE:
''So you wanna be a player... But your posts ain't fly... You gotta hit us up... to get your threads on time...''
Give the volunteers at Adopt-A-User a call, and we will assess whether or not your thread is deemed worthy of ERA ;)

Now, on to the thread!

EDIT: This thread will be renamed to Super NT - orders and shipping. The new OT can be found here.

From the makers of the Analog NT and NT Mini comes the Super NT, your true 1080p SNES mini.

PR: "A re-imagining of perhaps the greatest video game system of all time. Engineered with an FPGA. No emulation. 1080p. Zero lag. Total accuracy. The Super Nt is not a plug n' play toy. It is the definitive way to explore Nintendo's 16-bit era. Compatible with the 2,200+ SNES and Super Famicom game cartridge library. Explore and re-live one of the greatest video game systems of all time with no compromises."

SYSTEM SPECS:

Compatibility
  • SNES cartridges, Super Famicom cartridges*
  • Region Free
  • Worldwide Compatibility [PSU: 100-240v, 50-60hz]
Video
  • HDMI 1080p/720p/480p
  • NTSC & PAL Support
  • Lag free, zero signal degradation
Audio
  • 48KHz 16 bit
  • Digital audio via HDMI
Special features
  • Original-style SNES/SFC Controller Ports
  • SD card firmware updating [via Super Nt SD card slot]
Other Features
  • Scanline options
  • Scaler options
  • Horizontal position adjust
  • Horizontal stretch
  • Vertical position stretch
  • & more
I'm genuinely more excited about this than any other system. My favorite system, now in 1080p without a separate upscaler, we can use original controllers or wireless modern ones via the RetroAdapter, and more than likely, every game should work as well as it did on an original SNES.
Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get an unofficial firmware like the original NT that will let us rip our carts to the SD slot for SD loading.
So, if you're on-board with the Super NT, what color are you getting? Are you going for the 8bitdo controllers or do you have another preferred brand/model?

Last edited:

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Are any other 4th gen consoles ready for prime time, FPGA-wise? I would be quite interested in an FPGA Neo Geo.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Pro-ordered mine on day one. I can't wait to see what kevtris has cooked up for us. The only thing this is lacking is analog output, but it seems like Analogue is going more mass market with this device. So it's understandable that they didn't include it to hit a more wallet friendly price point. Supposedly there may be a special edition that includes analog output in the future.

I fully expect this device to load games off the sd card like the NT Mini with a jailbreak firmware update, but there's still a question of how it will handle games that utilize special chips. So there may be many games that require the original cartridge or something like the SD2SNES to emulate the chips.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
I've got one pre-ordered. Made the purchase as soon as it was available.

I already have a SFC Jr that I RGB modded and an OSSC set up - but there's still a bit of overdrive on the RGB lines which leads to a tiny bit of blur on flat colour sources. This could be fixed by lifting a pin on the PPU and hooking it up to 5v via a resistor, but I'd rather not take the risk as it's such a tiny, tiny pin. And I'm very experienced in soldering/modding.

As such, I think the Analogue could be fantastic for my situation. Genuine Super Famicom for my CRT and Analogue for the HDTV - especially considering I'd be able to zoom/scale in Super Game Boy titles and still preserve the image perfectly.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got a SNES classic, and after a week decided I needed one of these instead. Now I don't want to play anything on the classic.

I wish this were coming sooner.

I'd like to see MSU-1 support, via real carts via patching, as well as via just the ROM and patch on the SD card.

Not that I know much about this stuff, but I don't know how using a real cart could possibly work. Don't you need a patched rom, and then the huge audio files? The audio would obviously have to be run off the SD card from the system, but even then there's no way to patch a SNES cart. It'd have to dump the rom, then patch it.

Last edited:

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Do they take payment now? With Christmas coming and my daughter's birthday just gone I can't justify the outlay this month.

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is super cool. I'm seriously considering buying one. One question, though - why is there an asterisk next to "Super Famicom cartridges"?

Also, I added a link to this thread to the OP of ERA's official SNES/SFC thread!

Oct 27, 2017
My first post on Era! Woohoo!

I've been seriously excited for the Super NT since the reveal several weeks ago, but for whatever reason those Retro-Bit game compilations have got me extra pumped up (Joe & Mac!). I intend to get a preorder in sometime in December, and I've got my eye on the SFC model in particular.

Going by the sheer quality of the original NT, it's very exciting to think of that level of care applied to a SNES clone console. As someone who went with the RetroUSB AVS due to the cost of the first NT, I'm happy the Super NT is so much more reasonably priced.

Isn't this also coming with the Super Turrican Director's Cut?
Aye, the Director's Cut of 1 is included digitally, as well as a digital copy of Super Turrican 2. Pretty swanky!

Link to the manufacturer page doesn't work for me?

It looks like the link posted in the OP has an extra "http" for some reason. Try here:

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

SikSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I know much about this stuff, but I don't know how using a real cart could possibly work. Don't you need a patched rom, and then the huge audio files? The audio would obviously have to be run off the SD card from the system, but even then there's no way to patch a SNES cart. It'd have to dump the rom, then patch it.

Oh, you're right. I was thinking this was like the Retron 5, where it dumped the cart first. I guess all we can hope for is for MSU-1 support for ROMs on the SD card.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Following this thread. Really want one of these but will wait for impressions from enthusiasts first.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Yep can't wait for mine. This thing looks gorgeous! Ordered a black one :)
Same here! My defacto SNES is the US one but, the black has just a such a slick look that I had to get it.

This doesn't allow loading patches (for fan translations), does it?
No official info yet. :(

Are any other 4th gen consoles ready for prime time, FPGA-wise? I would be quite interested in an FPGA Neo Geo.
I'd love it if Kevtris gave us as nice of a present as the original NT guys got.

Isn't this also coming with the Super Turrican Director's Cut?
Yes, that and Super Turrican 2!

Link to the manufacturer page doesn't work for me?
It's just a formatting issue. Redneckerz should be able to change it easily.
For now,
https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

This is super cool. I'm seriously considering buying one. One question, though - why is there an asterisk next to "Super Famicom cartridges"?

Also, I added a link to this thread to the OP of ERA's official SNES/SFC thread!

Thanks!
And the asterisk... well, I didn't see anything for the legend on the main page so that's an email support question. I'll email them and see.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I think the Analogue could be fantastic for my situation. Genuine Super Famicom for my CRT and Analogue for the HDTV - especially considering I'd be able to zoom/scale in Super Game Boy titles and still preserve the image perfectly.

It would be great to see comparison shots between your current set up and the SNT when you get it.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Oh, it was present on their webpage when I ordered but now it's not. At least there're no worries with Super Famicom carts.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
A small update:
Per the Analogue support team,
"Super Nts will be shipped in mass due to a brand new shipping house we are using. So no matter where your preorder is in line, you will receive your unit in February around the same date that everyone else will. Shipping in chronological order was the primary distribution of the Nt Mini--but no longer the SNT."
So that's great news. Hopefully everyone who has ordered their Super NT will be able to play it within the release week.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still intrigued to know to what extent special chip games are supported without the original cartridge. Obviously I know loading roms off an SD card is not going to be officially supported, but it is pretty much a lock for custom firmwares, I just wonder if it will be limited to games without special chips, or just a subset of chips.

Regardless, it looks like this is a real nice bit of kit.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm still intrigued to know to what extent special chip games are supported without the original cartridge. Obviously I know loading roms off an SD card is not going to be officially supported, but it is pretty much a lock for custom firmwares, I just wonder if it will be limited to games without special chips, or just a subset of chips.

Regardless, it looks like this is a real nice bit of kit.

Going by what kevtris has said in the past, plus comparing it to the FPGA in the sd2snes, everything up to SA-1 should be OK.

Don't bet on SFX though.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm still on the fence. I would like to know what it will offer jailbreak-wise but that's probably not realistic until after it releases.

I'm far from an expert on this, but I would assume all the jailbroken cores on the NT Mini would work with this since it is a more powerful FPGA. Is that a reasonable expectation? I would pre-order now if I knew it could be jailbroken from Genesis.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm far from an expert on this, but I would assume all the jailbroken cores on the NT Mini would work with this since it is a more powerful FPGA. Is that a reasonable expectation?

If it doesn't happen it won't be for technical reasons, but rather for business reasons (if say Analogue didn't want to harm the Nt Mini sales as much)

But my guess is that they will be ported over because it's what kevtris would want.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
That UI font is terrible. The video shows a font option, but they gloss right over it. I hope there's a font available that's easier to read.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Since those Turrican games come preloaded, I'm wondering if they'll officially give you the option to add more roms to that digital list...or if they'll just remain the only two roms in hardware.

Plus, I know the Analogue NT was broken down as, believe it or not, being a decent alternative to RGB installs with a ton of polish included in the premium, but how does the value break down with this unit? It's so much cheaper, I wonder if it's cutting corners besides no RGB support. Is it equivalent to the best modding you can accomplish with an old SNES unit?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Need to wait to see how it handles special chips once boot from SD is added. Don't really fancy getting all my sfc games out of storage

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Going by what kevtris has said in the past, plus comparing it to the FPGA in the sd2snes, everything up to SA-1 should be OK.
Don't bet on SFX though.

So outside of SuperFX, the vast majority of add-on chips will likely be supported.
What kind of solution can be done for SFX (aside from running directly from the carts)? Keep a copy of Yoshi's Island in the cart slot for SD loading? No clue...

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the base console doesn't come with a controller, correct? I don't see it in the list of out-of-the-box inclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.