• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The 16bit clone console (with a cartridge slot) Sega could never make...

MdOAFaE.png

qYxgkzE.png

Thanks to ThorHammerstein whose Super Nt OT I pretty blatantly used as the template for this OT.

Mega Sg home page
SuperNT-Tower.jpg

Introducing the Mega Sg: To be this good takes Analogue

A re-imagining of the underdog that led a 16-bit revolution. Engineered with an FPGA. 1080p. Zero lag. Total accuracy. Mega Sg is not a plug n' play toy. Compatible with the 2,180+ Sega Genesis, Mega Drive and Master System game cartridge library. Explore and re-live one of the greatest video game systems of all time with no compromises.

megasg.jpg

ZeVWcb3.png

High Definition Graphics: 1080p with Zero Lag

Just like Super Nt, Mega Sg uses the most advanced retro-gaming video upscaling on the planet. No other game system is like one from Analogue. Every pixel is razor sharp with accurate, stunning colors. Not to mention true lagless video output.

Reference Quality Control

Mega Sg is a reference quality video game system with reference quality control. Featuring aspect ratio preservation, multiple video resolutions, scanlines, scalers and more.

High Fidelity Sound

With the YM2612 at it's helm, Sega's 16-bit era is home to some of the most iconic music in video game history. Music this significant should be experienced in high fidelity. Mega Sg outputs the highest quality digital audio: 48KHz 16 bit stereo. It's like hearing Sega for the first time.

Unparalleled Compatibility

Mega Sg uses an original-style cartridge slot and controller ports. Included in every box is a special made Sega Master System adapter. Mega Sg even has an edge connector for the Sega CD and Mega CD. This means it is compatible with the original Sega Genesis, Mega Drive and Master System game cartridges plus the original hardware and accessories. All the way from the Game Genie to the Sega CD.

Welcome to the next level: Sega CD in HD

Mega Sg plugs directly into your original Sega CD & Mega CD with its edge connector, hidden behind an expansion door. Just like the original. But now in stunning, lag free 1080p.

3451325-21-mega+sg+details+-+sega+cd.jpg

Analogue does it all: Mark lll, Game Gear, Sega MyCard, SG-1000, SG-3000 & Sega Master System

Sega's early console history is a rich and unique era to explore- which is why we designed Mega Sg to support it all. We will be releasing a series of game cartridge adapters for Mark III, Game Gear, Sega MyCard, SG-1000, & SC-3000 (Sega Master System adapter comes included with each Mega Sg). Each individual system totally implemented into Mega Sg via FPGA. Coming 2019 and sold separately.

adapters-3.jpg

We're preserving history with FPGA hardware

Mega Sg has the same unparalleled compatibility as Super Nt. The core functionality of each system is engineered directly into an Altera Cyclone V, a sophisticated FPGA. We spent thousands of hours engineering each system via FPGA for absolute accuracy. Unlike the knock off and emulation systems that riddle the market today, you'll be experiencing Sega's 16-bit and 8-bit era free of compromises. Mega Sg is designed to preserve video game history, with the respect it deserves.

Available in four styles

USA, EU (PAL), JPN, White

0586783cbced09219ddc3dcca6a8c177_analogue-mega-sg-03.jpg

Play Sega ...wirelessly

You can finally play Sega wirelessly and lag-free with 8BitDo's high quality retro M30 controller. We partnered up with 8BitDo to offer matching controllers for Mega Sg, including a wireless 2.4g receiver at discounted price. In classic black and and in white.

1539705899_screen_shot_2018-10-16_at_9.02.36_am.jpg

Technical Specifications

Compatibility
  • Genesis cartridges, Mega Drive cartridges
  • Sega Master System cartridges [with included Analogue cartridge adapter]
  • Mark III, Game Gear, Sega MyCard, SG1000/1000II, SC-3000 [requires Analogue Cartridge Adapters]
  • Sega CD & Mega CD [requires original Sega CD & Mega CD]
  • Region Free
  • Worldwide Compatibility [PSU: 100-240v, 50-60hz]
Video
  • HDMI 1080p/720p/480p
  • NTSC & PAL Support
  • Lag free, zero signal degradation
Audio
  • 48KHz 16 bit
  • Digital audio via HDMI
  • Headphone jack, 3.5mm
Special Features
  • Original-style Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System Controller Ports
  • Original-style edge connector for Sega CD and Mega CD
  • SD card firmware updating [via Mega Sg's SD card slot]
Other Features
  • Scanline options
  • Scaler options
  • Horizontal position adjust
  • Horizontal stretch
  • Vertical position stretch
  • & more
8BitDo M30 Gamepad w/ 2.4g wireless receiver:
  • 20hr Battery Life
  • Auto sleep mode after 15min
  • Lag free
  • Includes 2.4g wireless receiver

Product Information
Mega Sg Dimensions
  • 138mm length
  • 168mm wide
  • 47mm high
What's in the box
  • Analogue Mega Sg
  • Analogue Sega Master System game cartridge adapter
  • Ultracore (original game title: Hardcore) (digital)
  • HDMI cable
  • USB cable
  • Worldwide USB Power Supply [100-240v, 50/60hz, USA/JPN plug-type]

pX7CkuX.png

Ultracore (AKA Hardcore): An unreleased Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game from DICE

hardcore.original.jpg

In 1994, Digital Illusions (DICE) cancelled a AAA, 99% complete Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game called Hardcore. For 23 years Hardcore has gone unreleased. It has become one of the most sought after unreleased video games. The only know source code of the game was stored on a single, dead hard drive that was barely recovered so we're is thrilled to announce that Hardcore is being released for the first time ever on the Mega Sg.

Hardcore is a fast paced, euro-style run'n'gun, space base thriller. We're dedicated to preserving this piece of video game history and Hardcore is included digitally on each Mega Sg system.* For legal reasons, Hardcore's name has been changed to "Ultracore". The game remains the same.

*Firmware update required to play game
SuperNT-Multi_Color.gif

9RflcDe.png

IGN Review by Jeremy Parish
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/25/analogue-mega-sg-review

Polygon Review by Chris Grant
https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/25/18278800/mega-sg-review-analogue-sega-genesis-mega-drive

My Life In Gaming
https://youtu.be/vq5eQhCN6Co

Digital Foundry

https://youtu.be/_ZCQ6kN9Ie0

GameSpot Review by Peter Brown
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/analogue-mega-sg-review-the-best-sega-genesis-cons/1100-6465807/

Nintendo Life Review by Damien McFerran
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...get_the_mega_drive_mini_this_is_the_real_deal

Gizmodo Review by Andrew Liszewski
https://gizmodo.com/the-mega-sg-is-the-only-sega-clone-you-should-buy-1833471663

VG24/7 Review by Alex Donaldson
https://www.vg247.com/2019/03/25/mega-sg-review-ultimate-sega-mega-drive/

Kotaku (not technically a) Review by Chris Kohler
https://kotaku.com/mega-sg-is-an-amazing-hdmi-sega-genesis-for-the-hardcor-1833582326

ivcqhMj.png

yP49rmq.png

Firmware Updates

Just like the Nt systems that came before the Mega Sg offers firmware updating via the Mega Sg's SD card slot. kevtris will most likely be rolling out updates here and there over the next few months squashing bugs (and maybe adding features). I will update this section as needed. Go to Analogue's main support page to download the firmware updates as they release.

Here's information on the latest update:
v4.4 notes:

- Sega CD - adjusted timing for several games, i.e. Micky Mania
- Overdrive 2 demo border cropping fix
- X-men 2 character select fixed
- Fixed player 2 XYZ (6 buttons) bug
- Allow no controller on player 2
- SMS fixes for X7 and flash everdrive
- You now stay in the file browser when selecting a font
- Changed "hotkeys" to "hotkeys & controllers"

8bitdo M30 2.4g Receiver Firmware Update

The 8bitdo M30 2.4g Receiver requires an update in order to function properly. Go here for step by step instructions on this process. I believe this update is only for the 2.4g receiver and not the Bluetooth Retro Receiver.

UPDATE (Thanks andshrew)
There are people reporting to have received controllers with the 2.0 firmware already installed, so you may not have to immediately. There's also people saying new revisions come with one of the screws in the receiver replaced with a rubber cap, as apparently the screws may have been causing some interference in the connection.

You can tell what version of firmware you have by pressing L+R+START. The two LEDs on top will start flashing, plug it into your computer and the firmware version is shown in the name of the removable drive that appears.

SD card ROM loading

The "jailbreak" firmware is here! SmokeMonster covers everything you need to know so I'll just re-post the changelog and some important information about saves below:
Changelog
  • JB7.42019-04-16
    • includes all fixes from official firmware v4.4, plus:
      • Sega CD BIOS substitution works properly now on games like Snatcher
      • Fixed speech on Coleco Wizard of Wor
      • Fixed random crashes in Wizard of Wor and majikazo
      • Fixed graphics issue on Juno First and Astrododge
      • Fixed sprites sticking around between games
      • Added warning: CD BIOS replacer only works if fix region is turned on
      • SMS BIOS now also works for cartridges
      • Game Gear buffer changed to zero delay by default
    • PDF user guide with documentation

Saves
NEVER insert or remove cartridges while your Mega Sg is powered on. Doing so may risk damaging the console and/or losing saves. It is good practice to backup saves before updating firmware.

When a game is exited to the menu, it will prompt you to save. Return to the file menu and save your progress before powering down.

SAMPLE VIDEO SETTINGS
The Mega Sg's guts are pretty similar to the Super Nt but there's definitely some differences to consider. I will update this section when I've had time to properly research this. In the meantime Digital Foundry's video seemed to have some good settings (maybe I'll just put those to text when I have a moment).

GAME GENIE (OR GAME GENIE-ESQUE) CHEAT CODES
The Mega Sg has cheat support built-in with no firmware updates required. Here is a free database of many, many cheats available. Cheat away~

F5W3pvY.png

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Era OT

I've been told that Sega does what Nintendon't. Talk about the games you grew up loving or the ones you just discovered. Also, show off your collection or talk about the deals you got on some amazing Sega Genesis/Mega Drive thing.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lets try to keep the shipping issues relegated to the Mega Sg shipping thread. This OT should be focused on the console itself, accessories, system settings, games, etc.

A Quick Thank You
Shout outs to ThorHammerstein & ShinJohnpv for the OT template and for generally just being helpful (I will expand this section over time no doubt). Also, thank you SmiteOfHand for just generally being helpful in these Analogue threads.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Great OP. I've watched a little of the MLiG and DF videos and this thing looks great. A true alternative to an OG console.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Subbed. It would be nice if this thread isn't ignored by people.

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Great OP. I've watched a little of the MLiG and DF videos and this thing looks great. A true alternative to an OG console.

Thanks! Yeah, I found DF's video in particular to be a very interesting watch. The audio breakdown is great. The Mega Sg definitely seems to be one of the best ways to play Genesis games.
Looks like a new firmware update is out.

Yeah, I've been so busy I haven't even had a chance to install the day one update! lol. I've just played Castlevania Bloodlines so far and that's it. I'm planning to rectify this today.
Subbed. It would be nice if this thread isn't ignored by people.

Thanks! I just hope people like my thread title. lol

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just ordered this and the analog super nt as a new house gift for myself. Gonna be a while till it ships but cools.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Great OT! Hopefully this doesn't descend into a discussion about shipping issues.

Really looking forward to experimenting with some graphical settings to make it look as good as possible. Enjoying the SG so far and buying games off eBay has been dangerously addictive!

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Nice OT. I've been really pleased with my Mega Sg thus far. I'm playing Shining in the Darkness now, as I've never played through it in its entirety.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hit roughly 60 games in my collection now. Turbo Outrun and Gynoug arrived today. I'm off to a retro games market in July though so I think I need to stay off ebay for a bit so I actually have some money left to spend there!

OTBWY

Mar 30, 2019
I'm playing Pier Solar now. Before the day 1 firmware update the game didn't work, it was stuck on the first screen. Now it works Yosh!!.

bfgwN0Y.jpg

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The ultimate Mega Sg hardware comparison is out. I know I've been waiting for this one

:P

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Regarding the lack of 32x support, I wonder if there's any possibility of doing a FPGA version of that that eschews the need for analog input? I'm guessing the volume/demand wouldn't be there.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
What are those reasons?
Nt mini had all the cores kevtris has been working on for the past decade. Then with super nt they restricted the jailbreak to just a few features and opted to make the "jailbreaker" anonymous. I think it will still happen here but it has been trending away as a feature to just expect to happen.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Is there a production backlog? I was starting to wonder when mine might ship having ordered a week and a half ago.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really curious about some "modern retro" games that are available. The ones I've heard about are Coffee Crisis and Tanglewood. Are these games worth it?

Are there any more gems like this?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered mine on Saturday and got my shipment confirmation this morning. Should be here Thursday and I'm really excited!

the games I ordered might not be here yet, which is something I had not expected lol

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People have been waiting for over a year. My guess is not until after they release the rest of the cart/card adapters for the Mega Sg.
=(

bc of this i'm missing out on the mega cyclone V

hopefully it'll come shortly after the gamegear adaptor(sole reason i want this) releases

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Also it's worth noting if you buy Tanglewood on Steam it comes with a Genesis rom that you can play through an Everdrive
I wish this was the norm with homebrew. I get putting out a cart is a real cool thing but I'd really rather support the dev and just get a rom in exchange. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Loving my Mega SG, I'm out of town atm so I can't wait to mess with it some more when I get home.

Mar 27, 2019
So, If I order a white m30 2.4Ghz controller from amazon or wherever, is it guaranteed I'll have to open it and update the receiver?

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
So, If I order a white m30 2.4Ghz controller from amazon or wherever, is it guaranteed I'll have to open it and update the receiver?

There are people reporting to have received controllers with the 2.0 firmware already installed, so you may not have to immediately. There's also people saying new revisions come with one of the screws in the receiver replaced with a rubber cap, as apparently the screws may have been causing some interference in the connection.

You can tell what version of firmware you have by pressing L+R+START. The two LEDs on top will start flashing, plug it into your computer and the firmware version is shown in the name of the removable drive that appears.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

I'm still on the first firmware with mine and I haven't had any connection issues, or any other problems with it at all. You should try it first before assuming you need to update it.

RynoW

Mar 26, 2019
Time to update OP: The Jailbreak is now available. Includes the expected Genesis, Master System, and Game Gear cores... but also Coleco Vision?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Torn on whether to do this or not. Is it harmful in any way?

I've so many original games but I would like save states etc. Is it all stable and easy to use?
It won't have save states if it is like the Super Nt. Just regular/battery saves.

But it is assumed to be written by the same people so should be as safe as any other FW upgrade.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Torn on whether to do this or not. Is it harmful in any way?

I've so many original games but I would like save states etc. Is it all stable and easy to use?
The firmware comes from the creator of the product in the first place. Just not "officially" because they don't want to associate it with the business.

To put it another way, the firmware loader has verification on it that means only official firmware will load. It's not possible to get a firmware file for this thing that isn't genuine/safe.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Ah thanks guys! Will running the ROM perform exactly the same as the original cartridge?

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
NEVER insert or remove cartridges while your Mega Sg is powered on. Doing so may risk damaging the console and/or losing saves. It is good practice to backup saves before updating firmware.

I love it when vital information for the health of your expensive electronics device is provided solely through the instructions for 'unofficial' jailbroken firmware.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I broke down and ordered one today. I already own and love the Super NT!

I never had a Genesis growing up, but I love what Analogue is doing and this kind of retro revival that ensures these games can continue to be played in as accurate as manner as possible should be celebrated and supported.

Now I have to avoid burning through my paychecks on collecting Genesis games.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, I really want to drop $250 on genesis hardware in 2019, what am I doing?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the jailbreak drop. It is that time again that I do my regular PSA.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU UNDERSTAND HOW SAVE GAMES WORK. (assuming it is the same here as previous systems haven't tried it yet)

Take it from a guy who lost several hours of progress. It has gotten slightly better over time but it is very easy to bone it up and forget to exit to the menu and lose an entire session of progress.

The basic procedure is
1. Save however you do in the game such as a save spot in an RPG
2. Pull up the SG menu and it will prompt asking something along the lines if you want to back up your save.
3. Hit yes!
4. If you fail to do this when you turn off the system your save will be lost exactly like if you ripped the battery out of a cartridge.

I recommend doing a few dry runs to get a feel for it before trusting progress in a lengthier game. It isn't all that complicated once you get it, but it really sucks to forget/not understand and lose progress.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Where can I download those overdrive demos from the df retro video?
Oh! That's a good idea! lol
I just did a bing search for "Overdrive Titan" and "Overdrive Titan 2" and it brought me to some website I never heard before. place called pouet
My SG won't be here for another few days, so I'm not sure if the demos I downloaded work.
Jesus, I really want to drop $250 on genesis hardware in 2019, what am I doing?
Gooble gobble...