• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
-Can you have an 'SD card save' by playing via a cartridge, let's say a Shining Force copy for which the battery is dead, or do I need to play via the .bin file for that to happen?
No, however if cart/save dumping gets added to the jailbreak (reasonably good possibility) then you could do something like play and save on the cart, then dump the save to the SD card before turning the system off. You would not be able to push the save back to the cart for your next session (none of the jailbreaks have allowed this) though so would be kind of futile at some point.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, however if cart/save dumping gets added to the jailbreak (reasonably good possibility) then you could do something like play and save on the cart, then dump the save to the SD card before turning the system off. You would not be able to push the save back to the cart for your next session (none of the jailbreaks have allowed this) though so would be kind of futile at some point.

Hah, I didn't even think about the possibility to dump cartridges with it!

That would be awesome, as the Retrode cannot recognize my Virtua Racing cart because the SVP chip is not documented for it.

Thank you all for the answers, I'll proceed to buy with this insane luxury at lunch. :P

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
That would be awesome, as the Retrode cannot recognize my Virtua Racing cart because the SVP chip is not documented for it.
No idea if it will be able to dump Virtua Racing, but the jailbreak cannot currently play it due to the chip so hug your cart and keep it close.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Awww really? That's a shame...default Mega SG can play it so I wonder what's going on there.
Sorry, I meant the jailbreak can't play the rom. If you plug the cart in it will work just fine. The jailbreak just hasn't implemented the chip for playing the rom, and is unlikely to do so as no cart chips for the super nt were added.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I meant the jailbreak can't play the rom. If you plug the cart in it will work just fine. The jailbreak just hasn't implemented the chip for playing the rom, and is unlikely to do so as no cart chips for the super nt were added.

Ah I see! Thanks for that clarification, awesome then, I'll just rock the cart out when need be! :D

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

After lots of going back and forth I think I've settled on 'Clear 2612 Audio', I like the bit of ladder effect, however I admit in some cases the tight punch to the 3438 is appealing so I might knock the ladder down to 2 just to split the difference a bit. My childhood console was a model 2 so probably explains the indecisiveness here.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So good news for anyone waiting on a pre-ordered SG. Mine shipped this afternoon almost precisely 3 weeks after being ordered. So hold steady friends. Hopefully I get it tomorrow (that's when it's scheduled). As well, the Everdrive X5 I ordered left the Ukraine on the 8th so I think it has a chance of showing up tomorrow or early next week too :D

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just the fuse, or something simple.

Mine was giving me issues and it turned out the power connector was just so dirty the power supply wasn't making contact. Some Deoxit fixed it right up.

I hope yours ends up being something just as simple.

Thanks! I'll report in if I get around to it.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how I got lucky but ordered a Mega SG last week and got it 2 days later. Also, I picked up a Sega CD but am waiting on a power adapter. Feels like it is taking forever to get here.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yes. It includes all of current fixes from the official firmware and adds cores for multiple systems and the ability to play off of the SD card. It's also super easy to flash official firmware as needed.

How do you play SG1000 games? There's not a folder in the roms folder for it. Do you toss them into the master system folder or should I make a folder for it?

edit: folder folder folder

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
The SMS and SG1000 run from the same core, so I would assume just put it in the same folder as the MS Games.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I ordered mine on Sunday and it was posted out this morning, it didnt take the 2-3 weeks it says on the website

Well an update. The finally sent me a shipping email. It has been shipped to me and set to arrive by 24 April by FedEx (I'm in Australia). So mine did end up being 2 weeks for whatever reason. Oh well I was able to pick up some extra games in that time.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well an update. The finally sent me a shipping email. It has been shipped to me and set to arrive by 24 April by FedEx (I'm in Australia). So mine did end up being 2 weeks for whatever reason. Oh well I was able to pick up some extra games in that time.

Thats a shame it took so long, I ordered the white one so maybe thats why mine was shipped so quickly. At least you have yours on the way now :)

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask how much that cost you all up, in AUD?

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Head's up for Canadians, had to pay FedEx duties at the door on arrival. Had no idea this wasn't already included in the shipping cost, oh well.

doodledude

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone having problems getting Mega Man Wily Wars to work? Using a Mega Everdrive and neither the EUR or JPN versions will load. The EUR version has a red screen, the JPN version stays black for me. Have changed the region settings but to no avail so far

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Anyone having problems getting Mega Man Wily Wars to work? Using a Mega Everdrive and neither the EUR or JPN versions will load. The EUR version has a red screen, the JPN version stays black for me. Have changed the region settings but to no avail so far
IIRC, that game is incompatible with the Everdrive. Not sure if that's the case with every model.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, that game is incompatible with the Everdrive. Not sure if that's the case with every model.
Working on the X7. Could do a checksum and compare to no-intro to make sure the rom isn't bad.

Code:
Mega Man - The Wily Wars (Europe).md
  MD5:    BB891AEC8A7DFE6164033F57AF2025BD
  SHA-1:    EA9AE2043C97DB716A8D31EE90E581C3D75F4E3E

Code:
Rockman - Mega World (Japan).md
  MD5:    520D081A450B5E9F127369E6EC1BE43E
  SHA-1:    A435AC53589A29DBB655662C942DAAB425D3F6BD

Code:
Rockman - Mega World (Japan) [b].md
  MD5:    7A25E5249C0A406F20F76BEF45DC3202
  SHA-1:    4DFCF5C07106F6DB4D8B7E73A053BB46A21686C3

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've been on a tear buying Genesis games. I had a pretty good collection kept from my youth but there's a bunch of stuff I didn't own or got rid of that I regret. One of those was this:

2qQXV1I.jpg

I paid a pretty penny for it but damn it's good to own it again.

doodledude

Oct 29, 2017

Working on the X7. Could do a checksum and compare to no-intro to make sure the rom isn't bad.

Code:
Mega Man - The Wily Wars (Europe).md
  MD5:    BB891AEC8A7DFE6164033F57AF2025BD
  SHA-1:    EA9AE2043C97DB716A8D31EE90E581C3D75F4E3E

Code:
Rockman - Mega World (Japan).md
  MD5:    520D081A450B5E9F127369E6EC1BE43E
  SHA-1:    A435AC53589A29DBB655662C942DAAB425D3F6BD

Code:
Rockman - Mega World (Japan) [b].md
  MD5:    7A25E5249C0A406F20F76BEF45DC3202
  SHA-1:    4DFCF5C07106F6DB4D8B7E73A053BB46A21686C3

Ok thanks, I'm using an X3. But will check my roms in case they have issues anyway

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've been on a tear buying Genesis games. I had a pretty good collection kept from my youth but there's a bunch of stuff I didn't own or got rid of that I regret. One of those was this:

I paid a pretty penny for it but damn it's good to own it again.

Yeah, I really want to get Phantasy Star IV too, soon. Nice grab, it seems in extremely good conditions.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Ok thanks, I'm using an X3. But will check my roms in case they have issues anyway
Got it. Make sure to turn off Megakey in the everdrive menu (C -> Options) it conflicts with the Sg's auto region detection and causes it to lock up.

Looks like the X3 might not have megakey so you could try disabling the auto-region detection in the sg's settings and make sure to flip it to the correct one.

Last edited:

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, my Analog SG showed up today, updated to 4.4 and tested some games out , played the first 2 stages of ULTRACORE to boot. Pretty happy with this thing so far. Hopefully the shipping/model mixup woes get sorted out for the lot of ya'll sooner rather than later. Now I just look forward to the hopefully soonish arrival of my Everdrive X5. Might have to go grab a couple loose carts in the meantime :D

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really want to get Phantasy Star IV too, soon. Nice grab, it seems in extremely good conditions.
It is, yeah. It was an EBay purchase at a relatively good price but as soon as I got to testing it, it wouldn't boot but once every 5 times I plugged it in. Took the cart apart and one side of the pins had some gunk on it badly. Dried up gunk to the point where a q-tip and alcohol wouldn't remove it. I had to use a white eraser and slowly get it off. Cleaned up the pins and all works flawlessly afterwards. I sent the Ebay seller a message about it. For a game at the price I paid ($90), they really should have checked it past a single test but then this is the risk you take on EBay, I suppose.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Well, my Analog SG showed up today, updated to 4.4 and tested some games out , played the first 2 stages of ULTRACORE to boot. Pretty happy with this thing so far. Hopefully the shipping/model mixup woes get sorted out for the lot of ya'll sooner rather than later. Now I just look forward to the hopefully soonish arrival of my Everdrive X5. Might have to go grab a couple loose carts in the meantime :D

i ordered the NA vers (red/white) 3 weeks ago today, and just got a shipping confirmation for Saturday.
I think the next wave of orders is finally here

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm patching roms again, mostly translations. This latest bunch I've been getting flips patching the rom but suggesting the rom may be scrambled. But when I check the games, they appear fine. Any concern?

edit: Okay, it may just be a quirk of a certain rom hacker's patches.

Also, anyone ever get a red screen in Kega? Certain roms just give a red screen. Worked just fine in Gen though.

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I'm patching roms again, mostly translations. This latest bunch I've been getting flips patching the rom but suggesting the rom may be scrambled. But when I check the games, they appear fine. Any concern?

edit: Okay, it may just be a quirk of a certain rom hacker's patches.

Also, anyone ever get a red screen in Kega? Certain roms just give a red screen. Worked just fine in Gen though.
The patches are probably failing a checksum, so disable that in the emulator if you can.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was $397.04 AUD ($279.98 USD = $189.99 USD + $89.99 USD shipping). Some may say that is a bit much but it's not like I can really shop around for this, and compare prices and so forth. If I wanted it there was really only one way to be able to properly get it from what I'm aware of.
Rad, thanks for that info. The only way I know of getting it cheaper is to buy more than one and go halves in shipping. I think it worked out $60USD shipping for two and significantly cheaper for 3.

Good to know what I'd be up for though! I think the original MD1 cost my parents around $300 from Target, so I guess it's not that much more expensive :)

Oct 27, 2017
Curious about people buying an Everdrive to use with the Mega Sg. Other than the models which support save states, what is the reason for using an Everdrive instead of the jailbreak?

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, I finally updated the OT! I will scan through the thread to see if I missed anything important that should be added.

BTW do micro SD cards in a SD card adapter work in this thing?

Last edited:

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
i ordered the NA vers (red/white) 3 weeks ago today, and just got a shipping confirmation for Saturday.
I think the next wave of orders is finally here
I can report the same. Ordered an NA version just under 3 weeks ago and its set to be delivered on Tuesday. I saw folks on Discord reporting EU and Japanese versions shipping earlier in the week.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can report the same. Ordered an NA version just under 3 weeks ago and its set to be delivered on Tuesday. I saw folks on Discord reporting EU and Japanese versions shipping earlier in the week.

I guess they got their batch at the same time I ordered...I ordered Thursday and it shipped on Friday, I was surprised after reading many people here waiting on their unit.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Although I have te 2.4 8bitdo controller, a while back I placed an order for one of the SEGA-licensed reissues of the 6-button pad and mine finally shipped and should get it between today and tomorrow. Hyped!

Oct 27, 2017
Although I have te 2.4 8bitdo controller, a while back I placed an order for one of the SEGA-licensed reissues of the 6-button pad and mine finally shipped and should get it between today and tomorrow. Hyped!

I got mine in yesterday, and while it feels pretty good, it's not quite as good as an original one. The d-pad has that issue where you can push straight down and hit all the directions at once, but I'm not really sure why. I took it apart and it still has the pivot point, but it's like it's very slightly lower. Maybe mold degradation or something.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To truncated_pachyderm - I'm grabbing an everdrive just to avoid flashing firmware constantly. I realize that kevtris pretty much programs the jailbreak himself and it's probably harmless but I'd rather just keep the console on one "official" firmware only updating it for major patches every few months (4.4 was out when my system came so I'll probably leave it there unless some major bug is found and fixed). As well the X5 supports no reset saves whereas I seem to recall the jailbreak is kind of testy (and was on the super NT and NT mini before it). Plus I kind of like the look of the cart too so...

I may go in search of a couple loose carts later today anyway though...