• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
osJzAbC.jpg

It fit like a glove!

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Playing around with the YM2612 High Quality Mode and I can't tell the difference enabled/disabled at all (using headphones). What should I be listening or testing it with (what game in particular?)

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Totally ordered that Genesis decal.

MattWhite924 So got the 6-button pad today and yeah, while there haven't been actual input mishaps while I was running through Shinobi III I could definitely see the "issue" with the d-pad when you press down. It's a tad loose. It's been almost 20 years since I've held the older model so can't remember if it was always designed that way but otherwise no major issue to speak of.

Oct 27, 2017
Totally ordered that Genesis decal.

MattWhite924 So got the 6-button pad today and yeah, while there haven't been actual input mishaps while I was running through Shinobi III I could definitely see the "issue" with the d-pad when you press down. It's a tad loose. It's been almost 20 years since I've held the older model so can't remember if it was always designed that way but otherwise no major issue to speak of.

I've taken it apart and compared it to an original one, and I can't figure out what the difference is, other than the d-pad is just slightly looser. Best I can figure is the plastic molds are just old, and the tolerances just aren't what they used to be.

Though after using it for a few more days I'm less concerned with it. It plays just fine, and is better than those generic replacement pads by quite a bit. In some ways I prefer how it feels to the 8bitdo version.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also went in on the decals. One for AVS, Mega SG, and Super NT. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome :)

Y'all be sure to follow the instructions. The decals can be tricky if you haven't used this type of sticker before. It's similar to applying a phone screen protector but you have to make sure you rub the film on top of the letters first so that they come off with the top film. After you get them in the right spot, rub them again to make sure they really stick to the console. You might even have to keep rubbing as you slowly peel off the top film so that the letters stay where they're supposed to.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Era: set up my Sg last night and spent a few hours revisiting a few of my all time faves, and it's just a joy. BUT I have had two little issues maybe y'all can help with:

1. I'm loading games off an SD card, all of them ROMs copied and pasted from their previous home in an OpenEmu folder. They all were tested and worked fine THERE... but on the Sg, I've noticed a fair number won't boot - typically showing either a solid white screen or white garbage. Anyone have any theories what's going on? Why would a ROM work on an emulator but not an Sg?

2. The audio seems a bit muted - when I'm playing any other console my TV volume is around 12-15, but for the Sg I'm having it up around 30. Is that normal?

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era: set up my Sg last night and spent a few hours revisiting a few of my all time faves, and it's just a joy. BUT I have had two little issues maybe y'all c

1. I'm loading games off an SD card, all of them ROMs copied and pasted from their previous home in an OpenEmu folder. They all were tested and worked fine THERE... but on the Sg, I've noticed a fair number won't boot - typically showing either a solid white screen or white garbage. Anyone have any theories what's going on? Why would a ROM work on an emulator but not an Sg?

2. The audio seems a bit muted - when I'm playing any other console my TV volume is around 12-15, but for the Sg I'm having it up around 30. Is that normal?
For #2, try disabling the -3dB cut option.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my unit and slammed Gunstar Heroes in after updating the firmware and setting the video to fullscreen square pixels setup from FBX's OCD settings.

Feel soooo good and high quality. Also, pretty glad I didn't have to pay import fees, that would've been 50$ CAD on top of 50$ USD for shipping alone, so something like 80$ USD lol.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loading games off an SD card, all of them ROMs copied and pasted from their previous home in an OpenEmu folder. They all were tested and worked fine THERE... but on the Sg, I've noticed a fair number won't boot - typically showing either a solid white screen or white garbage. Anyone have any theories what's going on? Why would a ROM work on an emulator but not an Sg?
Try loading them in BlastEm and check your results there. https://www.retrodev.com/blastem/

A few gotchas you can look out for is they should not be zipped. If some are zipped and some are not that could explain a discrepancy.
If the file name is very long you can try shortening it. I forget what the max length was but anything longer than 20-30 characters might be a problem.
Try turning off autodetect region in the menu and flipping it specifically to the region the rom is from.
If all else fails do a checksum and compare it to no-intro. If you have no idea what that means I can type up a little guide.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Try loading them in BlastEm and check your results there. https://www.retrodev.com/blastem/

A few gotchas you can look out for is they should not be zipped. If some are zipped and some are not that could explain a discrepancy.
If the file name is very long you can try shortening it. I forget what the max length was but anything longer than 20-30 characters might be a problem.
Try turning off autodetect region in the menu and flipping it specifically to the region the rom is from.
If all else fails do a checksum and compare it to no-intro. If you have no idea what that means I can type up a little guide.

Thank you - I will look at these things. Zips are no good?? Jeez I think a lot of them are zips... what would be the preferred file format?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you - I will look at these things. Zips are no good?? Jeez I think a lot of them are zips... what would be the preferred file format?
Whatever file is inside the zip is likely fine. Typically .md or .bin. Just extract it.

When working with original hardware, a recreation like this, or using an everdrive, compressed/zipped files are rarely supported.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone who gave info - the fact the ROMs were zipped was precisely the issue. Curiously, SOME would still work - but once everything was unzipped and either a md or bin or what have you, everything worked fine.

This is my first Analogue product and man oh man it makes me want the Super Nt. But I'd be twice as interested in them kicking out a newer, cheaper version of the Nt mini... what are they waiting for??

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Thanks everyone who gave info - the fact the ROMs were zipped was precisely the issue. Curiously, SOME would still work - but once everything was unzipped and either a md or bin or what have you, everything worked fine.

This is my first Analogue product and man oh man it makes me want the Super Nt. But I'd be twice as interested in them kicking out a newer, cheaper version of the Nt mini... what are they waiting for??

it probably makes sense to go Nt mini when sales start to slow down with these mega sg's.

i am day zero for preorders on an Nt mini if/when announced

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Mine was due today, was in the wrong area updated with a delivery exception and 2 mins later marked as delivered. FedEx is 3 for 3 marking shit as delivered then showing up late at my new house... hope this is number 4.

Oct 27, 2017
Any good recommendations for homebrew games? I've never really dug into homebrew stuff too much, so it could be fun to see what's out there.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I got my Mega SG yesterday.

Played it.

Bought a Super NT today.

I declare April the Investment Month!
I'm planning on getting a Super NT on payday lol. I love my SG.

I've never had a Super Nintendo before. I think the only game I'm planning on getting right now is Turtles in Time.

(by the way, off topic: we talked about ripping Dr. Mario once a long time ago. I just ripped it off the NES Classic yesterday and that ROM works perfectly on my AVS through a PowerPak).

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
For those with this and the jailbroken firmware: can the SD card be used to save Sega CD games a la the RAM expansion cart?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(by the way, off topic: we talked about ripping Dr. Mario once a long time ago. I just ripped it off the NES Classic yesterday and that ROM works perfectly on my AVS through a PowerPak).

I remember that and that's a hell of a while ago, haha! What I don't remember is what stopped me ripping it with the kazzo device, but that was after a looooong day of ripping all my collection and never gave it a fair shake again. That said, I also have a NES Classic and it would be a much easier and just as legit way to have a working ROM.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I remember that and that's a hell of a while ago, haha! What I don't remember is what stopped me ripping it with the kazzo device, but that was after a looooong day of ripping all my collection and never gave it a fair shake again. That said, I also have a NES Classic and it would be a much easier and just as legit way to have a working ROM.
Yeah, I remember I tried time and time again and I could just not get a usable ROM from a Dr Mario cart with the kazzo. Just ripped all the roms off the NES Classic and the only game that I can't get a usable ROM from was Excitebike (I don't care much). It was pretty simple to do too, and I don't know if you care about this like I do, but I was able to factory reset it and remove the "hack" easily afterwards (I don't really want a "hacked" NES or SNES Classic).

sorry for going off topic briefly...

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Well that's another reason to get an Everdrive then. I thought for some reason the extra hardware in the X7 could be used to launch Virtua Racing as well, but I don't think that's true. Well, if anyone wants that game it seems like it's actually gotten pretty cheap, but then there's that Switch port coming out kinda soon that at the very least will supercede all the content in the Genesis version...

Oct 27, 2017

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Any good recommendations for homebrew games? I've never really dug into homebrew stuff too much, so it could be fun to see what's out there.
The port of Cave Story is pretty amazing and worth at least a look even if you've played it (and worth a play if you have not, and probably still worth a play if you have and its been a minute)
https://github.com/andwn/cave-story-md

screen01.png

If you pick up Tanglewood from steam the rom is just there in the folder and you pluck it out so definitely worth checking out and supporting their efforts.

ss_004fee57e8c9d1f647e5acc05793f7dc22224440.1920x1080.jpg

L'Abbaye des morts is a ZX Spectrum inspired platformer that while I haven't tried the mega drive port yet looks pretty solid.
https://playonretro.itch.io/labbaye-des-morts-megadrivegenesis-por-002
buLFY8.png
xEs5PS.png

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Port of an old Mojon Twin game:

Genesis does! Well, the synth voices are questionable...

Did someone say demoscene? Because I thought I heard someone say demoscene

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

The Retrousb AVS is also a very good FPGA NES option which is available to buy now.

Last edited:

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having a great time playing the Mega Sg lately. I decided to delve into some SMS / Mark III titles -- Phantasy Star and Aleste.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
The Retrousb AVS is also a very good FPGA NES option which is available to buy now.
Seconded. It's a great unit with my only complaint being the front loading aspects of US NES carts. You need a damned vice to get carts out of the thing. I would have MUCH preferred a top loader design ala the NT Mini. Other than that, its well worth the money. It supports US and Famicom carts along with the Famicom Disk System and plays carts like Akamajou Densetsu that uses special chips like the VRC6 flawlessy.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Seconded. It's a great unit with my only complaint being the front loading aspects of US NES carts. You need a damned vice to get carts out of the thing. I would have MUCH preferred a top loader design ala the NT Mini. Other than that, its well worth the money. It supports US and Famicom carts along with the Famicom Disk System and plays carts like Akamajou Densetsu that uses special chips like the VRC6 flawlessy.

The biggest difference is that you need real carts or an everdrive/powerpak. The fact that Analogue consoles also function as flash carts once you jailbreak them makes them an absolute bargain.

For the AVS death grip issue you can try using some Deoxit. It cleans, lubricates and protects. It should makes the carts slide in and out easier while also removing any manufacturing residue from the pins. You can use the cotton t-shirt over a credit card method to apply it.