• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
There's one thing the NT Mini has that I don't think the AVS does, and that's the microphone input that's used to simulate the one in the 2P controller. Not an issue if you're only going to play NES games but several noteworthy Famicom games definitely used it

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest difference is that you need real carts or an everdrive/powerpak. The fact that Analogue consoles also function as flash carts once you jailbreak them makes them an absolute bargain.

For the AVS death grip issue you can try using some Deoxit. It cleans, lubricates and protects. It should makes the carts slide in and out easier while also removing any manufacturing residue from the pins. You can use the cotton t-shirt over a credit card method to apply it.
Yeah, being able to "unofficially" load roms from an SD card is a great boon for Analogue systems, but the AVS is still a freaking great unit. The only concern I have with my launch-era unit is the usb port. I'm terrified I'm going to break it off one day. I've covered it with epoxy and think I'll do this mod too, because the mod's power port is totally secure. They've since made the usb port more secure though, with a bracket and through-holes I think.

I absolutely love my AVS though. Wouldn't surprise me if Analogue put out a competitor at that price range though, since they already have the cores or whatever done. That thing, if it ever came out, would probably be much better because it might have copyNES functionality. sigh... I wish I could dump roms with my AVS...

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest difference is that you need real carts or an everdrive/powerpak. The fact that Analogue consoles also function as flash carts once you jailbreak them makes them an absolute bargain.

For the AVS death grip issue you can try using some Deoxit. It cleans, lubricates and protects. It should makes the carts slide in and out easier while also removing any manufacturing residue from the pins. You can use the cotton t-shirt over a credit card method to apply it.
Yeah I've used Deoxit before and it improves the issue but its a fundamental design flaw that I just don't like. The front loader NES design is not something I've ever been a fan of so seeing it replicated in an FPGA for the sake of nostalgia wasn't something that elicited cheers out of me.

Still, its a worthy unit for the price and considering the alternative is the ridiculous aftermarket prices of the NT or the NT mini? The added cost of an Everdrive/Powerpak is still a damned bargain.

I'd love to see Analogue do a low cost NES FPGA though. I'd drop $200 on an NT Mini 2 in a heartbeat.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, being able to "unofficially" load roms from an SD card is a great boon for Analogue systems, but the AVS is still a freaking great unit. The only concern I have with my launch-era unit is the usb port. I'm terrified I'm going to break it off one day. I've covered it with epoxy and think I'll do this mod too, because the mod's power port is totally secure. They've since made the usb port more secure though, with a bracket and through-holes I think.

Yeah, my AVS USB port broke off last year. I had barely ever used it so I was quite surprised when it happened. I sent an email and they immediately had me send mine back for a free replacement no questions asked.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Badly done repros can actually damage real systems. Kevtris seemed fairly sure that his Analogue designs are robust enough to stand up to bad repros so you should be ok there. Though if the PCBs the repros are using are too thick they can slowly ruin the pins.

i just bought single game repro carts (MUSHA, Truxton etc) not a 300-in-one or whatever. So i'm curious if this is in the same category as an Everdrive etc. Comment section in that article seems to ask the question, but i can't find an answer

the PCB thickness is something that worries me the most. Already i feel like i have to jam my carts into the Mega SG (and MS adapter) a little too hard for them to lock in.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my AVS USB port broke off last year. I had barely ever used it so I was quite surprised when it happened. I sent an email and they immediately had me send mine back for a free replacement no questions asked.
That's a damn shame. I really worry about mine, but at least they squared you away in the end.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Another one scratched off of the list of my most wanted Genesis titles thanks to the Mega SG....

4185ae38-bebb-46c5-a91kjw.jpeg

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm a bit tired of taking cartridges out of the drawer and ready for the jailbreak firmware.

I guess I have to get SmokeMonster's stuff? He seems to be the guy behind it. It may be obvious but I just want to make sure before installing an unofficial firmware on a machine I paid some significant money on. :P

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the answers y'all!

Also, got the 8bitdo 2.4 controller, good god is it a beautiful little piece of controller, they're not kidding when they say 'no delay' either. This is honestly the best time I had with genesis games on a HDTV.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
On the Classic Gaming discord server. It's just a smoke screen, so to speak.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Saying the jailbreak is the same because data is data and 1:1 is not strictly accurate. The jailbreak operates to load roms by essentially acting as an everdrive device on the FPGA and is just as prone to inaccuracies or incompatibility.

To my knowledge none have been found up to this point, but it is not a strictly accurate statement to say there are no possible differences.

Edit: I'll add the Mega Drive is much less complicated here than other systems so I don't expect issues to be found. Compared to the NES and its endless mappers problem, at least, and to a lesser extent the SNES and its enhancement chips. As mentioned it is pretty much Virtua Racing on the MD that is a problem here.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying the jailbreak is the same because data is data and 1:1 is not strictly accurate. The jailbreak operates to load roms by essentially acting as an everdrive device on the FPGA and is just as prone to inaccuracies or incompatibility.

To my knowledge none have been found up to this point, but it is not a strictly accurate statement to say there are no possible differences.

Edit: I'll add the Mega Drive is much less complicated here than other systems so I don't expect issues to be found. Compared to the NES and its endless mappers problem, at least, and to a lesser extent the SNES and its enhancement chips. As mentioned it is pretty much Virtua Racing on the MD that is a problem here.

Small derail but...

As someone who's receiving his Super NT next week and will probably end up jailbreaking it too, would that be a problem with games that either have the Super FX or SA-1 chips? Now that you bring up V.R. it got me wondering...since it doesn't work on Jailbreak because it has the SVP chip.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Small derail but...

As someone who's receiving his Super NT next week and will probably end up jailbreaking it too, would that be a problem with games that have either the Super FX or SA-1 chips? Now that you bring up V.R. it got me wondering...since it doesn't work on Jailbreak.
Yep. No special chips games work on the SNT jailbreak.

It is pricey but the SD2SNES (might as well go pro) is a hell of a device here.

For Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...of_Super_NES_games_that_use_enhancement_chips

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yup the SD2SNES now runs about 99% of games for the system, there's just a small handful of Japanese games that use chips not supported by the SD2SNES at this time.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, it is an interesting avenue, while expensive, it will prove to be extremely convenient.

I'll sleep on it.

EDIT: Whoa....just saw the price... ugh, that's even more expensive than the console! :lol

I went with a flash cart on the Super NT but jailbreak on the Mega SG. The extra compatibility was worth it with the SD2SNES. You just got to wait for their annual sale that happens on Black Friday.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, check a list of the games that require a special chip. If you already own the majority of the ones you'll actually play on cart or don't mind buying them if you don't and it's a small number of them, save some money and go with the latest Super Evedrive X5. Menu isn't as nice but it's pretty much just as fast as loading ROMs as an SD2SNES now.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

Cool. This was kinda what i was thinking. I have about 100 carts and aside from convenience and playing really expensive/rare/chip stuff, if there were any pros/cons carts vs rom

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Got my metal stickers for my analog systems and avs. Realized the Red Super Nintendo Logo looks terrible on my SNES grey and purple system, so I'm ordering the silver one. They look pretty good. Had a scare on the nes logo, the letters kept almost coming off with the top sticker., Realized I probably could have centered it more vertically on my avs too, but it looks pretty good.

Didn't know about the Genesis homebrew seen. Looks of cool games to check out...

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I hope there's another update coming, because the latest firmware introduced a bunch of issues (i.e. MAIN CPU ERROR in Popful Mail), and the strange audio glitches in Phantasy Star 4 and Landstalker are still present. It's a huge bummer. The Super NT was left without the last few promised features and bugfixes, too.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope there's another update coming, because the latest firmware introduced a bunch of issues (i.e. MAIN CPU ERROR in Popful Mail), and the strange audio glitches in Phantasy Star 4 and Landstalker are still present. It's a huge bummer. The Super NT was left without the last few promised features and bugfixes, too.

Did you share those bugs to Analogue? I think they take bug reports pretty seriously.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
There are bug reports on the jailbreak github page for all of them except the Landstalker one.
I think it might be worth a shot reporting those bugs to Analogue proper anyways, even though they end up going to the same guy lol.

I "submitted a request" here (https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/requests/new ) about the 2P 6-button issue after the update before last, although I saw a lot of people were already talking about it on the reddit and maybe smokemonster's github page thingy after I sent it (I can't rightly remember where I saw it to be honest), and they emailed me back saying they were looking at it, it'll be fixed in an upcoming update and then "Cheers Justin --We do really appreciate the feedback."

An update fixing that issue was released four days later, but again... I suspect he was already working on it before I sent the request.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kind of surprised with how few post launch firmware updates there have been. It felt like with the Super NT, in the first month or two it was like every other day then ever other week there was an update.