• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Still hoping for a cart-dumping feature to be added. At this point though... maybe I should let it go?
I'd also really like to see this. There is still a chance we'll see the cart adapters and/or DAC so I suppose another firmware update is possible.

Otherwise, yeah, this is likely it.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So the new update says that the scanlines feature has been redone; does that mean it's no longer done incorrectly in 1080p? (if so I hope the update makes its way to the Super NT...)

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
you guys having any trouble getting colecovision to run on this? i couldn't with the first jailbreak, and now updated, it says "can't load bios"

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
you guys having any trouble getting colecovision to run on this? i couldn't with the first jailbreak, and now updated, it says "can't load bios"
You need to setup the path to your coleco bios file in the core settings in the menu. Bios files are copyrighted so cannot be distributed so we must provide it ourselves.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
TerraOnion just announced the MegaSD a cart that plugs into any Genesis and acts as a Sega CD. No comment on price yet they're still showing it off.

*Price is $280.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man.. they make so much cool stuff but I had to get my SSD3 modded twice to get it working well. Hmm..
That should be the biggest reason for people to pause. The second biggest being their apparent shitty support making it better to buy their products from places like Stone Age Gamer.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a sucker for a slick flashcart interface. I can't justify it after just picking up an everdrive a couple months back but it is definitely on my radar as an all in one solution.

If you bought it from Stone Age Gamer, they're going to offer a trade in for an Everdrive towards this.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Might as well just say buy a Mega Drive/Genesis instead of the Analogue Mega SG if I was going to do that.

A FPGA Sega CD isn't going to do anything appreciably better than a real Sega CD hooked up to a Mega Sg. You already have access to all of the Mega Sg's options and features, it already does everything. There's just no point. And now we have the Mega SD which runs disc images on a cart and is an FPGA recreation of the Sega CD hardware just no disc drive so you have to dump your discs.

Then there's emulation. These three options cover 99% of everybody looking to play Sega CD games on a high definition television. There's not really a need for a bespoke FPGA version of the Sega CD that plays discs.

I'd say the chance is zero now that there's a ROM cart that doesn't require a CD unit at all.

Exactly

RynoW

Mar 26, 2019
What is the next Analogue/Kevtris project is gonna be? When Super NT came out, they were already hinting that their next project would be a Sega Genesis, but no such hinting at what's next this time.

IMO likelihood goes like:
1. NES - NT Mini 2
2. GB/GBC/GBA
3. TurboGrafx/PCE
4. Neo Geo
[...]
74. Atari Jaguar

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Either they rerelease the NT mini, make a TG-16 or go back to NEO GEO.

Biggest likelihood right now is NEO GEO imo

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My hope is Neo Geo. That'll be the day I can justify diving into Neo Geo properly

Last edited:

RynoW

Mar 26, 2019
Either they rerelease the NT mini, make a TG-16 or go back to NEO GEO.

Biggest likelihood right now is NEO GEO imo
Neo Geo would be great, but I see it as less likely than GBA/GB/GBC and TG-16 because the market for the latter two seems bigger, and the complexity is way lower.

Demand for Neo Geo stuff has always seemed pretty low to me. Given the super high prices of Neo Geo games, you would have thought they'd be an obvious candidate for romcarts, but they only got viable ones recently, and I would guess that's because the demand isn't extremely high.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
GBA isn't happening so scratch that from the get go. It is an ARM processor that would be unbelievably expensive to implement in FPGA.

Neo Geo is my top hope, just look at the cost of a NeoSD by itself, though I agree it might not be top of the most likely list. An NES using the newer board that is cheapier and easier to produce might be it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like if they re-released the nt mini, as even though I have a retroUSB AVS and I friggen love that thing, I'd buy an NTMini 2 if I could use it to rip NES games easily. I guess that functionality was never added to the Mega SG, but copyNES functionality was already in the original ntMini so I would hope it would work its way into any re-release even if in an "unofficial" way.

RynoW

Mar 26, 2019
GBA isn't happening so scratch that from the get go. It is an ARM processor that would be unbelievably expensive to implement in FPGA.
I had never heard GBA as being out of reach for reasonable FPGAs. I know that someone is working on a MISTeR core for it. Kevtris said that PS1 was the limit of what today's commercial FPGAs could do, and I can't imagine that the CPU and graphics on a PS1 would take fewer gates than the ARM in a GBA.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I had never heard GBA as being out of reach for reasonable FPGAs. I know that someone is working on a MISTeR core for it. Kevtris said that PS1 was the limit of what today's commercial FPGAs could do, and I can't imagine that the CPU and graphics on a PS1 would take fewer gates than the ARM in a GBA.

The MISTeR GBA core isn't to the level of booting games yet and Bob from Retro RGB seems to think a fully working GBA core is not going to happen anytime soon. I'd of course love for it to happen but alas

I'd suggest instead of waiting for an FPGA GBA, just get a GBA consolizer mod. It uses original hardware and outputs to 720p with no input lag

www.game-tech.us

GBA Consolizer by Woozle!

We’re hoping to get another pre order started SOON!

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
The MISTeR GBA core isn't to the level of booting games yet and Bob from Retro RGB seems to think a fully working GBA core is not going to happen anytime soon. I'd of course love for it to happen but alas

I'd suggest instead of waiting for an FPGA GBA, just get a GBA consolizer mod. It uses original hardware and outputs to 720p with no input lag

www.game-tech.us

It's cool but starting at $140 to $180ish, I'd rather have an FPGA GBA, portable or console.

RynoW

Mar 26, 2019

www.game-tech.us

Ah interesting re: complexity. I've been watching the GBA consolizer with great interest and will definitely pick one up after I get a display setup that handles 720p better than my current one. My screen is 1080p, and 720p content looks really terrible on it. Or who knows, maybe a GBA Consolizer 2.0 supporting 1080p will come first.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
when Smoke Monster had his chat with Kevtris last month, i got the feeling that it might be awhile if ever that we see another new analogue system.

Kevtris mentioned how niche the t-16 audience is, and how hard it is to even find games in the wild--- it wouldn't sell unless everyone bought it just to jailbreak

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
when Smoke Monster had his chat with Kevtris last month, i got the feeling that it might be awhile if ever that we see another new analogue system.

Kevtris mentioned how niche the t-16 audience is, and how hard it is to even find games in the wild--- it wouldn't sell unless everyone bought it just to jailbreak
Might even be waiting to see what the mini TG16 release does in terms of numbers.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

If we discount TG16/PCE and Neo Geo is a long shot for likely the same reasons.. what are they going to do?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If we discount TG16/PCE and Neo Geo is a long shot for likely the same reasons.. what are they going to do?

Well I think Neo Geo is a possibility because they started their business with Neo Geo. But they also said they don't like going backwards in reference to re-releasing a new NT Mini so who knows

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I guess another possibility is the MSG and SNT are the first units they have been able to keep in steady supply meaning incoming revenue is likely to be a bit more stable putting less pressure on a yearly release.

Which I know is not what people want to hear but instability and burnout are incredibly common in niches like this so I'd be content with a little breather. Especially if it meant pet projects like the cart adapters and DAC could get more of a focus.