• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Who could have guessed that an already-fringe game, for which the core audience already got their copies through its Kickstarter, would have narrow sales potential.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
How can they not track their EGS sales?
A niche game that probably sold a lot of its copies through kickstarter already. Not sure what they were expecting.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
That settles it I guess, mixed or negative reviews = haters.

Just not all that unexpected.

In most mainstream 2020 metrics, Shenmue 3 was not going to be scored as a good game. Hell, I'd even wager that reviewers were being generous with their scores, since they wanted to be respectful somewhat to this revered IP and not completely trash it.

That said, the few and proud who actually played and love Shenmue 1 & 2, got their wish with Shemnue 3- more Shenmue. (they did not reinvent the wheel with 3)

As for sales, I'm sure Deep Silver was hoping for a nice showing at retail, but I"m guessing they did most of their business on the Kickstarter. (and that whole EGS debacle didn't help there, but surely there was a nice Epic check involved, so I wager it didn't matter too much) But most of the Shemnue fans simply jumped in on the Kickstarter early (hence its massive success), but there really wasn't that many people still caring about Shemue in 2019 beyond the sixty some thousand that pledged on Kickstarter.

If I was a betting man- Shemnue 4 will be another Kickstarter. Deep SIlver won't be back, but maybe there will be some smaller publishing arm out there that will grab it for a very limited print run kind of release plus digital. Maybe Sega will come through- if they are receptive to publishing recent-ish things like Shining Resonance and the upcoming Sakura Wars game, then why not Shenmue?

For it to happen though, Yu Suzuki will probably need to wrap it up with this game and advertise as such (instead of however many more games he thinks he is actually going to be making, time to see the writing on the wall, it will take luck for one more game to happen, time to finish this story)

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Never expected much. Fans bought it with the kickstarter and it's a niche series which is ok. Would be good if they have developed some assets for Shenmue 4 like Baisha Village which was spotted in some previews and cancelled, and they're allowed to do a last game. Wrap up a lot of story at the
cliff temple where the mirrors are meant to be used
Lan Di doesn't need to be beaten to a pulp, Ryo might find some peace like Xiuying and defeat him spiritually, depending of how they explain
why Lan Di was taken as a child by the Chi You or if they killed his father, he may be redeemable and negotiated with. The Chi You Men have already turned against him in Shenmue 3 or a lot of them so it might not be a straight up revenge story and they might part ways on their animosities.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
They cancelled plans to release on Steam. Against the wishes of backers and Yu Suzuki.

And handled/communicated it terribly.

Eventually they capitulated to the terrible PR and offered Kickstarter backers refunds.

They did not cancel the Steam release, it was made exclusive to EGS for a year. Stop exaggerating.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't Deep Silver. This is an equity analyst making an estimate based on limited data. That's why they don't have access to some numbers like EGS, etc.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They did not cancel the Steam release, it was made exclusive to EGS for a year. Stop exaggerating.
They cancelled the release that had previously been announced, the one that was going be the game's initial release.

Not sure how a discussion about semantics contributes much to this conversation...

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
This game definitely had a much larger hype on announcement than on release. That's never good.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
They cancelled plans to release on Steam. Against the wishes of backers and Yu Suzuki.

Eventually they capitulated to the terrible PR and offered Kickstarter backers refunds.

So it was instead released on PC elsewhere? Guess I don't see the problem, but then again I only play on console so the concept of multiple stores doesn't exist.

Jul 10, 2018

The Kickstarter campaign from start to finish never had any mention of Steam. It was not until surveys were sent out that they mentioned Steam as the PC platform. Still not an excuse for the switch to Epic but the backlash was overblown IMO.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
All will be revealed next week at Embracer's Q3 results presentation. Perhaps this report is completely off the mark.

Invitation to Embracer Group’s Q3 presentation

Embracer Group hereby invites you to a presentation in connection with the publishing of the third

Invitation to Embracer Group's Q3 presentation
MON, FEB 10, 2020 12:29 CET
Embracer Group hereby invites you to a presentation in connection with the publishing of the third quarterly report for the financial year, Oct-Dec 2019. The report will be published at 06.00 (CET) on February 19th.

The presentation will be held in English by CEO Lars Wingefors and afterwards questions are invited.

Date: February 19, 2019

Time: 09:00-10:00 (CET)

Place: Carnegie Hall, Regeringsgatan 56, Stockholm or via webcast and teleconference.

Please register for participation in person at Carnegie Hall: https://financialhearings.com/event/11779

Questions are welcome in advance by e-mail to: [email protected]

Link to webcast: https://tv.streamfabriken.com/embracer-group-q3-2019

Teleconference dial-in number SE: +46850558355, UK +443333009268, US: +18338230590

Please dial in a few minutes before the presentation begins. To participate, please state your first, last and company name. For questions during Q&A press 01.

For additional information, please contact:

Lars Wingefors, Co-Founder and Group-CEO

Tel: +46 708 471 978

E-mail: [email protected]

About Embracer Group

Embracer Group is the parent company of businesses developing and publishing PC and console games for the global games market.

The group has an extensive catalogue of over 130 owned franchises, such as Saints Row, Goat Simulator, Dead Island, Darksiders, Metro, MX vs ATV, Kingdoms of Amalur, TimeSplitters, Satisfactory and Wreckfest amongst many others.

With its head office based in Karlstad, Sweden, Embracer Group has a global presence through its three operative groups: Koch Media GmbH, THQ Nordic GmbH, and Coffee Stain AB. The group has nineteen internal game development studios and are engaging more than 3000 employees and contracted employers in more than 40 countries. Embracer Group AB was renamed during 2019, formerly known as THQ Nordic AB.

Embracer Group's shares are publicly listed on Nasdaq First North Stockholm under the ticker EMBRAC B with FNCA Sweden AB as its Certified Adviser; [email protected] +46-8-528 00 399.

For more information, please visit: http://www.embracer.com

We should see some solid numbers on Wednesday.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Should be noted this report suggests Deep Silver/Embracer still had a very profitable quarter. Shenmue 3 just didn't do as well as expected.

rostad

Oct 27, 2017
Stock price reached ath today.
I've only invested about 800 dollars and got back about 40% so far.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
From reddit - The guy who runs Gamstat appears to be offering a tiny bit of caution about his figures as they relate to Shenmue 3:

Shenmue III is popular in Asia, and I've received many signs that I'm underestimating Asian figures. Add the margin of error - it might easily be around 80-100K (which is still a big failure for Shenmue III).

Unfortunately, I can't calculate the confidence interval - considering all those manipulations and tricks I apply - I'm not that good with statistics.

We've got two days until the actually Embracer Quarterly presentation, which will be live streamed. I would love to be able to update the thread title if Deep Silver contradicts what this analyst reported.

https://tv.streamfabriken.com/embracer-group-q3-2019

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the numbers in SEK? Deep Silver isn't a Swedish publisher I'm pretty sure...?

/Confused Swede

Edit: Ah, Embracer is Swedish it seems. Never heard of them before.

Jun 12, 2018
Shenmue III was the principal Deep Silver revenue driver in the quarter, followed by another new release of Let's Sing 2020. Moreover, Metro Exodus continued to give a significant con-tribution to Deep Silver's revenue in the quarter, as well as other notable back catalog titles such as Kingdom Come Deliverance and Outward.

Can somebody translate that into layman's English lol