• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I already have 2 years of gamepass ultimate. With that live conversion deal. Can I do it again to add another year. What happens when I buy a year of Xbox live now?
If you buy a year of Gold now and add it to your account it'll convert to adding IIRC 4 months of Ultimate instead.

With Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, can I still redeem codes for Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass?

Yes. These codes will automatically convert to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate at a ratio based on the ERP (Estimated Retail Price) of those codes. Conversion rates are subject to change.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I signed up when gears 5 came out, intending to play that and blair witch. thought gears 5 was pretty mediocre, glad i didn't buy it out right. currently game pass is probably something i sign up for 1 month at a time to play through a game or two. dont see it as something i stay subscribed to full time. maybe in the future if games i want to play are released every month. but xbox doesn't have quality releases coming regularly enough yet, i hope that changes next gen.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I signed up when gears 5 came out, intending to play that and blair witch. thought gears 5 was pretty mediocre, glad i didn't buy it out right. currently game pass is probably something i sign up for 1 month at a time to play through a game or two. dont see it as something i stay subscribed to full time. maybe in the future if games i want to play are released every month. but xbox doesn't have quality releases coming regularly enough yet, i hope that changes next gen.

Would love to hear which publisher you believe is releasing any games monthly, let alone great games monthly.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Nothing wrong with signing up for 1 month. It's a smart way to go about it.

Do think there is enough to play on the service if you have enough time to play games. I've discovered a lot of interesting indies this way. While playing Forza Horizon and Sea of Thieves on the side.

Dec 31, 2017
They do add new games every month, and rarely have I seen them release something I didn't care about; there was at least always 1 game worth playing, even if it was an indie game.

I actually find myself sometimes lowering game difficulty to finish faster as so many new games get added and sometimes removed that I wanna make sure I don't miss the chance to finish it. Also, with work and kids a big AAA game can easily last me a month, so with indies and whatnot + games that have multiplayer (so lots of replayability) I don't see myself ever having down time and needing to cancel. I've pretty much given up on buying new games at this point; so much content from MS that I have enough to play, and if a game will not show up on the service by the time I can play it it'll be on sale anyway.

Obviously if you are single and without kids and can play 40+ hours a week maybe you won't find enough content for yourself; however I think with busy lifestyles that people have these days and the aging community of gamers, this type of service is a godsend as the 16.99$ it'll cost me in more than 2 years is easy to fit on a monthly budget, gives me Gold and games on PC + Xbox, and enough new content to keep me busy and make me save money in the long run by buying less games.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Have signed up for £2 for 2 months, but will be ditching off as soon as I finish Gears and Horizon 4.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Have signed up for £2 for 2 months, but will be ditching off as soon as I finish Gears and Horizon 4.

I said the same about different games when I signed up for one of their three months offers and now my subscription is running until almost the end of 2021 ;)

It's just a fantastic service. My mind is still blown every time I think about how you can sign up for €2 and play stuff like Gears 5 and Outer Worlds on day one. Why wasn't this around when I was a kid!

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't make the math work out at the current price point they have. I bet most of the few million subscribers(?) have payed an average of perhaps 2$ a month for the service some for years in advance. That is 30 months of the service for a regular 60$ game. A game like gears probably cost around 50 million or something similar and that is just one game on the service and with them adding so many new studios with games in the 10-50 million budget coupled with all the third party they must be taking a huge loss right now.

I know they need to be aggressive to get people "hooked" on the service but I just wonder when the free meal will end and how much it will cost them and affect their decisions regarding games going forward. If this service don't take off and gets people to stick around when they jack the price up I wonder what will happen. The industry every generation talk about how game development is getting more and more expensive but monetization have help them out this gen I just hope this doesn't lead Xbox in a direction in the future towards heavy into those kinds of games but instead try to offer single player experiences and similar that the other game developers don't invest into because the risks are to high. Not saying that seems to be what they are currently doing but later on when they need to actually make a profit on this service.
Much like the vast majority of users don't wait until Black Friday to stock up on Live subs when they are cheap, most users may take the plunge for the $1-$2 a month XGP deal and then keep it. Not cancel and then resub at the next sale.

Also you see that tons of people even here have went out and spent $80-$100 to sign up for gold for years in advance and then do the conversion. That's upfront money given to MS to "take advantage" and now they are locked into the ecosystem

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Now is Gears 5, The Outer world will be next month, on the first half of next year Ori, Wasteland 3 and Psychonauts 2 will come, between all of them there will be second party launches. I can't see myself ditching game pass like never.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I said the same about different games when I signed up for one of their three months offers and now my subscription is running until almost the end of 2021 :)

It's just a fantastic service. My mind is still blown every time I think about how you can sign up for €2 and play stuff like Gears 5 and Outer Worlds on day one. Why wasn't this around when I was a kid!
Yeah young me would have been completely and utterly mind-blown if Game Pass had been a thing for the Commodore 64 :)

Deleted member 36749

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
Now is Gears 5, The Outer world will be next month, on the first half of next year Ori, Wasteland 3 and Psychonauts 2 will come, between al of them there will be second party launches. I can't see myself ditching game pass like never.

Its a good service man. It affords me the chance to try titles I honestly wouldve ignored. I beat like 11 extra games over the last 6 months because of gamepass.

I felt the value was justified when the last horizon dropped. And now that I got like tons of months after buying in during the ultimate switch? This is all overkill

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
One thing that everyone should remember. For every subscriber that pops in and out month to month there are significantly more that subscribe and never cancel. All subscription services (think gyms) survive this way. They don't actually expect everyone to be active. Apathy and sub renewals are built in.

Most of you picking month to month will be far outweighed by people who sub and leave it or forget (ignoring those who actually use it)
Exactly. I still laugh when I see people peddling the notion that most sign up and cancel - thats definitely not the case.

I remember signing up for a Spotify trial with the intention of cancelling - three years later and I couldn't live without it.

Dec 8, 2018
Much like the vast majority of users don't wait until Black Friday to stock up on Live subs when they are cheap, most users may take the plunge for the $1-$2 a month XGP deal and then keep it. Not cancel and then resub at the next sale.

Also you see that tons of people even here have went out and spent $80-$100 to sign up for gold for years in advance and then do the conversion. That's upfront money given to MS to "take advantage" and now they are locked into the ecosystem

Except I don't think given what adds up to about 1-2 full games keeps you locked into the system at all especially when a new gen is just around the corner. Also for instance on PC I bet people will simply play the games they are mildly interested in on the service when they add them but actually buy the games on steam or EGS or similar. Outside of MS first parties that is but who knows only the future will tell.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a game pass u subscriber for 15 months, and a huge fan of gears. It was nice to be able to get it for free basically but since I like the developers and franchise I bought the $20 Kait skin dlc. If people like me continue to support devs through micro transactions I don't think Microsoft will have a problem with making money this way.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a game pass u subscriber for 15 months, and a huge fan of gears. It was nice to be able to get it for free basically but since I like the developers and franchise I bought the $20 Kait skin dlc. If people like me continue to support devs through micro transactions I don't think Microsoft will have a problem with making money this way.
Agreed.. I think that's actually one of the ways they plan to make money off the service.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Even before they were offering these $1 upgrade deals, I was stacking Game Pass whenever I'd find codes on sale. If you can get a years worth for $60...what better value you going to find in gaming for $60? I don't need to have a AAA game a month to justify $60 for the year. If you're a gaming enthusiasts, damn near impossible not to find a bunch of games worth playing. Only area Game Pass lacks is Japanese games. Once it solves that, it'll be a complete service.

Jan 4, 2018
Yup, I got both DLC bundles for FH4 ans Shadow of the Tomb Raider since I got the base game for "free" and like both series (also in TR case both 1 and 2 include all the DLC already, so I bought the DLC for the 3rd at least)

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Except I don't think given what adds up to about 1-2 full games keeps you locked into the system at all especially when a new gen is just around the corner. Also for instance on PC I bet people will simply play the games they are mildly interested in on the service when they add them but actually buy the games on steam or EGS or similar. Outside of MS first parties that is but who knows only the future will tell.

But the cost of 2 games means that Game Pass subscribers who took advantage of that deal would be choosing between Scarlett and all first party games during the duration of the subscription as well as whatever third party games end up on the service or a PS5 with every additional game requiring an individual purchase. Though Game Pass subscribers may not have a huge monetary in the Xbox ecosystem, their subscription means that the next-gen Xbox offers a huge value over the PS5.

And for PC users like myself there is no barrier of a next-gen console purchase keeping me from staying engaged. I know I already have access to first-party Scarlett games day one and of course I'm going to take advantage of that.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I've got two free months thanks to Alienware, and a few more thanks to AMD.

So I'll be "signing up" again next week to play Gears 5 and then burning the others when games I really want to play enter the service.

Best deal in gaming right now.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Being "locked in" has nothing to do with the price. It has to do with people feeling like they get enough out of the offering that they want to continue the relationship. If someone keeps finding games they like, and finding friends they like playing with, then they might be reluctant to leave that behind.

And if I'm able to bring all this with me to the new gen, they might be even more reluctant to leave.

Deleted member 36749

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
Did they let people playing via Game Pass, preload Gears 5?

Yeah I preloaded it as soon as it was available(i think like 2 weeks ahead of launch?) In fact since I played the beta through gamepass it just turned the beta file into the gears of war 5 install and I was good to go.

Makes me wonder if its a gamepass ultimate thing tho? Cause a buddy of mine who didnt convert to ultimate didnt get to play until this past Tuesday when those of us who preloaded were on last Friday.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands

I bought 3 years of Xbox Live/Gold and an Xbox One S just for the GPU deal. Never owned an Xbox before this.

I don't have too much spare time these days, but it's nice to be able to install games on a whim and just go from there.

I also use the PC version in combination with a Shadow PC, which I run on my phone. Pretty dang convenient! If Xcloud were to get added to GPU, I'd be set for life.

Oct 27, 2017
But the cost of 2 games means that Game Pass subscribers who took advantage of that deal would be choosing between Scarlett and all first party games during the duration of the subscription as well as whatever third party games end up on the service or a PS5 with every additional game requiring an individual purchase. Though Game Pass subscribers may not have a huge monetary in the Xbox ecosystem, their subscription means that the next-gen Xbox offers a huge value over the PS5.

And for PC users like myself there is no barrier of a next-gen console purchase keeping me from staying engaged. I know I already have access to first-party Scarlett games day one and of course I'm going to take advantage of that.
The initial months of a console launch are crucial to its trajectory. It's about value and getting mindshare. You get a Scarlett and it's coming loaded with a whole library of games let alone major release likely day 1 in halo. That lets a buyer then go out and get COD or whatever big multiplat is out there

I'll tel you what if the PS5 has a launch lineup like the 4 did I sure as hell ain't jumping into that right away

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Would love to hear which publisher you believe is releasing any games monthly, let alone great games monthly.
not saying any are. but if im going to pay a fee every month, they have to have at a minimum 1 game i want to play per month. THEY have to make the service worth it to ME, its not me changing my expectations so they can get my money every month. Why would i pay them $15 in a month where i dont want to play any games they have available?

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
not saying any are. but if im going to pay a fee every month, they have to have at a minimum 1 game i want to play per month. THEY have to make the service worth it to ME, its not me changing my expectations so they can get my money every month. Why would i pay them $15 in a month where i dont want to play any games they have available?

So...of the near 200 games available on the service, not only can you not find yourself 1 game per month worth playing (like you'd know unless you tried some....which Game Pass allows you to do) you also seem to be able to beat these games within a month too, thus forcing you to look for a game worth playing every month.

K

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Close to 300 games counting pc and xbox game pass at 15 a month. Your straight up trolling if you genuinely are saying you cant find A GAME worth playing to you. That or it turns out video games might not be your thing.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Close to 300 games counting pc and xbox game pass at 15 a month. Your straight up trolling if you genuinely are saying you cant find A GAME worth playing to you. That or it turns out video games might not be your thing.
spot on.

there's pretty much endless quality games now, to the point i now have a gp backlog thrown on my purchased backlog on top of my still need to buy/play backlog.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky

ive played every game im interested in thats on game pass. i dont generally replay games.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
So...of the near 200 games available on the service, not only can you not find yourself 1 game per month worth playing (like you'd know unless you tried some....which Game Pass allows you to do) you also seem to be able to beat these games within a month too, thus forcing you to look for a game worth playing every month.

K
yeah, most games these days take like a weekend to beat.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I also signed up but will probably cancel after Gears 5.

They have a lot of good games but I don't have that much time to play anymore and I don't mind paying 60€ for a new game I want to play.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. G5 is so good and GP is the best gaming service ever. MS needs to keep building upon this success aggressively.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The way id use subs like this is to play a particular game and cancel, but i'd be willing to pay more than 2 bucks for that. I'd pay the normal rate. 12 bucks or whatever.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
I keep saying that Game Pass made me buy an Xbox and I wasn't planning at all to have an Xbox this generation.
As a video game enthusiast, I'm not the brand fighter, I'm not the target market that buy consoles for exclusives. You will have to seduce me first before I open my wallet :)
It's a win win for Microsoft.

My play time of Gears 5 is 10 mn so far, so those numbers are from people really enjoying the game. Nothing wrong with that, some people act like they are shareholders. Let them worry about their business model and enjoy the ride.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
they should've fixed the shitty microsoft store before getting people to sign up....

gears 5 is awesome and I'm thankful for the deal, but I am never buying a game on that store.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gears 5 doing some amazing positive buzz for ms. People at work were even bringing it up. Not heard that since god of war last year.