• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

I love Gears 5 a lot, as well as Game Pass, so I find this great news. Good on Microsoft and The Coalition, and here's hoping they can properly capitalize on this momentum.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Nice, can't wait to see how Halo Infinite does with this next year.

That launch is gonna be absolutely bonkers, I hope 343i doesn't fuck it up.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would have been a sign up for me if I didn't take the deal with game pass ultimate back a couple months ago. I'm a big gears fan

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
A supposed great number, but we're completely in the dark about the actual number. There's not a lot to go on here.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to play their games at launch and not paying nowhere close to full retail is pretty sweet

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Gears 5 was a treat. Minus a buggy third act it was really a joy to play. With how well the Coalition did with Gears I am hoping the extra time afforded to 343i results in the best Halo game yet.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
A lot of people are signing up because of the $1-$2 1 month deals for ultimate not to mention that you can use those deals to one-time upgrade your entire Gold Membership to Ultimate. Many people are buying 3 years of Gold and converting it to Ultimate.

Praise for getting people to do it but it's far too early to commend it for competitive pricing, at least when you're just looking at sticker price. I doubt as many people would be buying if they had to pay full Ultimate monthly pricing.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Seriously though, happy to see Gears 5 is doing well. Hopefully this means good sales too and Gears stays a prestige titles for many years to come. Nice to see Horizon getting some shine too. I wonder what the split for retail and GP is for Horizon?

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
it'll lead to a high number of cancels too when people are done with the game
This is the Netflix syndrome. Stranger Things or Orange is the New Black makes people sign up; a lot of people cancel once they are done with that, but many stick around because of the surrounding library.
Game Pass has a strong enough lineup now that it can afford this kind of leakage.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite is probably going to break XBL for weeks, lol. And congrats to Rod and the team on the success of Gears 5, cant wait to see where they take the series next (I'm about to finish Act III tonight).

Can only imagine Scarlett's launch with all the first party offerings being available at launch through Game Pass, it's going to be an incredible value proposition!

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Makes me kinda curious how traditional sales do. Not that it matters if they can get the majority of Xbox owners subscribed and locked in they probably stand to make more money even without traditional retail.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That QLED TCL needs to release so I can finally jump on. Had it downloaded since last week...don't wanna game on 1080p anymore, if I don't have to.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
More than anything else, I think The Coalition deserves mad props for how well they have turned Gears around.

Oct 25, 2017
most likly lower then the past entries since unless you like owning your games there is no reason to not go through game pass to play it
I think it will be far lower in terms of lifetime sales than the older ones, but also that that is a metric Microsoft is no longer going to lose any sleep over.

Yeah, the thing that makes me curious is that the same argument was used for SOD2, Sea of Thieves and FH4, and yet, all of those sold really well. That's why i'm curious.

It's no longer that kind of race.

I'm aware of that. I'm just curious.

It'll be next to impossible to judge this game fairly based on traditional sales. Even if it does well, doesn't paint a clear enough picture.

I don't pretend to judge anything. The game's already a success. I'm just curious.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yeah, the thing that makes me curious is that the same argument was used for SOD2, Sea of Thieves and FH4, and yet, all of those sold really well. That's why i'm curious.

I'm aware of that. I'm just curious.
They sold well in launch month, but I daresay their lifetime sales are depressed relative to their immediate predecessors/what they would have been had there been no Game Pass.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
I have it on PC since they launched it and I love it. Just wish I had more time to play.

PS Gears5 is the most optimized game I've seen on PC in recent years. My GTX 1060 6GB is pulling 60fps at 1440p with ultra textures!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Forza Horizon 4 could have been this if Gamepass PC was out and advertised, but I'm happy for Gears!

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how many signups were taking advantage of the $1 upgrade thingy. I spent about $280 to get three accounts on Ultimate for until June 2022.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Man, Infinite is gonna be a megaton hit for Game Pass then.

So happy for Rod and the whole team at The Coalition. Gears 5 is fantastic and easily in the GOTY conversation for me.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah no shit. I payed 2 bucks for Gears5 instead of 60 and will definitely not renew. 12,99 is too much for me, because Xbox has not many games I want.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Also, remember that Outer Worlds is hitting the service right as those first month trials start to expire. Have to imagine a lot of people will keep the subscription going once they pick up on how many games are actually on Game Pass.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are signing up because of the $1-$2 1 month deals for ultimate not to mention that you can use those deals to one-time upgrade your entire Gold Membership to Ultimate. Many people are buying 3 years of Gold and converting it to Ultimate.

Praise for getting people to do it but it's far too early to commend it for competitive pricing, at least when you're just looking at sticker price. I doubt as many people would be buying if they had to pay full Ultimate monthly pricing.
This is the case for me. I paid for 24 months of Gold for €85 and 2 months of Ultimate for €2, making it around €3.30 a month. I'm PC only and the full price of the service would be €10 per month.

I have no intention at all to buy the service for full price and I've already canceled it. I just won't be buying very many games until May 2022.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I'm glad to see a great game and a great service both achieving success