• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 26, 2018
4 was pretty meh, and also underperformed. The main entry before that was Judgement, which doesn't need any expounding.
Well we still don't know the retail numbers of Gears 5. And the player retention is still a huge task. MS made people subscribe for a 2$ deal but we don't know shit about the actual profits. But I guess they are playing the long game right now

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
it'll lead to a high number of cancels too when people are done with the game

Surely that's because it's literally the only game on the service, and not that players might find themselves enjoying the other games it includes and stick with it. Not like that literally is what happened with me with GamePass on an earlier sale or anything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Well we still don't know the retail numbers of Gears 5. And the player retention is still a huge task. MS made people subscribe for a 2$ deal but we don't know shit about the actual profits. But I guess they are playing the long game right now
My point is that it's pretty clear that there is more immediate interest and positive player and critical reception for Gears 5 compared to how Gears 4 was received.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
that's great. Gamepass has been awesome for me, and from a couple articles I've read it seems good for some developers too- people purchasing game pass games after being featured on gamepass. I still need to try Gears 5. I hope when the next Halo releases, they allow anyone who pre purchased the game to play it on pre release date. (I read on here someone prebought the standard edition but couldn't play it til the second release date)

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
They've been so consistent in adding quality games every month that I'm sure they'll have no trouble keeping a large amount of these people subscribed.

I don't see myself ever canceling my sub, it's a must-have service.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people are signing up because of the $1-$2 1 month deals for ultimate not to mention that you can use those deals to one-time upgrade your entire Gold Membership to Ultimate. Many people are buying 3 years of Gold and converting it to Ultimate.

Praise for getting people to do it but it's far too early to commend it for competitive pricing, at least when you're just looking at sticker price. I doubt as many people would be buying if they had to pay full Ultimate monthly pricing.

didnt that promo expired like two months ago?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the next analysis of UK sales where people will misinterpret the data and claim that Gears 5 is the biggest failure ever and that Phil Spencer should personally apologize door to door to each xbox owner

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 followed by the Outer Worlds next month. Insane offering.

Aye, TOW launching on GP is a huge boon for the service and helps to keep it in the spotlight after G5. They should be advertising TOW as coming soon to GP on the dashboard.

This also raises the question of how much Blair Witch cost and if it was worth it? barely seemed to make a dent in terms of attracting folks to GP, feels more like one of those mediocre releases has every so often. It's just there.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a new build so I have to re-download and beat gears 4 first, but it's like 140gb! I'll get around to it eventually I guess but cotdamn.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
didnt that promo expired like two months ago?
No, even today you can still do it.

Link

Under 'More'
Joining Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will upgrade your remaining Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass for Console or Xbox Game Pass for PC time into Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for the same amount of time, up to 36 months. All conversions are final. See xbox.com/gamepass for details.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Downloading right now. I'll play it on Game Pass but I will buy it in store later as well (the perfect costumer I guess). Nice to see all the praise the game has received. I liked Gears 4 too, but it seems 5 is even better.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I only wanted to pay for 1 month of Ultimate for Gears and it converted me until February. I don't plan on renewing. Game Pass does have a good selection though.

Oct 25, 2017
Aye, TOW launching on GP is a huge boon for the service and helps to keep it in the spotlight after G5. They should be advertising TOW as coming soon to GP on the dashboard.

This also raises the question of how much Blair Witch cost and if it was worth it? barely seemed to make a dent in terms of attracting folks to GP, feels more like one of those mediocre releases has every so often. It's just there.

Variety in the catalogue is quite important for people to remain signed to these services. Not every game will be huge AAA releases but they are essential nonetheless. My GOTY contender is Outer Wilds and that launched on Game Pass, even though it was a smaller game.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any idea how this works out for the studios with the games on offer? Obviously right now Gears is the reason for sign ups, does MS weight that and kick whatever % to the Coalition? I've got 0 info on how this actually works. Would be nice to know they're getting taken care of monetarily for bringing on all these new sign ups.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Sometimes i get the impression, that half of this board thinks, that GP library only includes MS 1st party games.
Alien, Ashen, Batman series, Borderlands 1-2, DMC V, Doom, Hellblade, Hollow Knight, Kingdom Come, Life is Strange, MGS 2,3,5, Metro 2033+LL+Exodus, Shadow of mordor/war, MH World, Ninja Gaiden black, Prey, Tomb Rider series, Shenmue collection, Vampyr, Wolfenstein 1-2 + huge catalog of indie game + all 1st party titles.
Bunch of B-tier games my ass

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
I mean they gave away Game pass codes on multiple sites and the 2€ 2 month for ultimate deal with Gears 5 ultimate is just one of the best deals you can get as a pc gamer right now (thanks to that deal I was able to do a Gears 5 lan with my friends). The question is how many people will stay? I mean I own two accounts with one having 12 months ultimate left (the other one is for a friend using my splitted pc) but I can't see almost any of my friends getting multiple months of XBL gold and transforming that to gamepass ultimate.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes i get the impression, that half of this board thinks, that GP library only includes MS 1st party games.
Alien, Ashen, Batman series, Borderlands 1-2, DMC V, Doom, Hellblade, Hollow Knight, Kingdom Come, Life is Strange, MGS 2,3,5, Metro 2033+LL+Exodus, Shadow of mordor/war, MH World, Ninja Gaiden black, Prey, Tomb Rider series, Shenmue collection, Vampyr, Wolfenstein 1-2 + huge catalog of indie game + all 1st party titles.
This.
Game Pass is the best thing that has happened in gaming during my 35 years as a gamer. For the consumer that is. I hope the actual devs makes some money too. Last AAA game I bought was RDR2 almost a year ago.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its pretty clear what the focus is now for MS. Next to trailers all ending with get it on Gamepass and nothing else. Billboards have the same

EEIdjaxU4AADjT_
EEIdjayU4AE_fwN
EEIdjayUwAA0nLw
EEIdja1U0AIJgVN

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. I don't even have an Xbox or any access to gamepass, but it seems like an ultra rad service and I like seeing it succeed.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the crowd that has to insert negativity into gamepass success stories is even more vicious. Y'all can't help yourselves.
It's way to early to say if it is anything close to success. If those people who get it for $3 and then unsub that sounds terrible. We still haven't got any solid subscriber numbers and how many people are actually staying at full price. It's good value but i really doubt MS want to be subsidising gaming in the long term.

FJimbonda

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Trolling over a series of posts
LOL I knew someone was going to come in with the subscription service concern trolling. We just need someone else to say "BUT DO THOSE PEOPLE KNOW THAT THEY DON'T OWN THE GAME???"
Excuse me for daring to think that a lot of people will sign up for $2 to play Gears and then unsub.

OUTRAGEOUS.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is making Game Pass such an incredible deal that it's impossible to say no. It's pretty much a free lunch. Phil foots the tab. Absolutely loving the Xbox experience, much thanks to Game Pass. In return, I offer Phil the majority of my engagement.