• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Microsoft is making Game Pass such an incredible deal that it's impossible to say no. It's pretty much a free lunch. Phil foots the tab. Absolutely loving the Xbox experience, much thanks to Game Pass. In return, I offer Phil the majority of my engagement.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO WILL CANCEL

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yep I'm playing it through Game Pass Ultimate (which I may or may not have abused the fuck out of *whistles*), and I'm a huge Gears fan.

Free >>> $60

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Excuse me for daring to think that a lot of people will sign up for $2 to play Gears and then unsub.

OUTRAGEOUS.
Thing is, we don't know. My guess is that people will also see how many games they have access to directly with gamepass and will say "why not, it's cheap". Add to that I think that this especially applies to people which are not on era but the ones that buy systems because of price, the "casual" audience, or, let's say better, the majority of the console gamer demographic.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I paid a quarter of a dollar to play Gears 5. Why would I say no to that?

I'm part of the statistics, but does that mean much in the grand scheme of things?

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty cool you can sign up for one month, play all their big exclusives then cancel it. Worth £7-10 per year.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I can't see a world where company wouldn't care about their game selling for 60$. Especially digital where they get 100% of that money
No one is saying they don't care about traditional sales at all.

But it doesn't take a genius to figure out that their main focus now is Game Pass, and success in that area is what they care about above all else. Still pretty early for Gears 5, but it's had a strong start on that front, which Microsoft will obviously be very pleased with.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's way to early to say if it is anything close to success. If those people who get it for $3 and then unsub that sounds terrible. We still haven't got any solid subscriber numbers and how many people are actually staying at full price. It's good value but i really doubt MS want to be subsidising gaming in the long term.
Excuse me for daring to think that a lot of people will sign up for $2 to play Gears and then unsub.

OUTRAGEOUS.

So when Netflix and Hulu and Amazon gives EVERYONE a month free for new accounts...those are failing businesses?

How many times does the concept of subscription services have to be explained? Yes most people will not resubscribe but there will be enough that do stay in order to make a profit. Low barrier of entry and all that.

It's peak concern trolling. MS isn't subsiding anything. Give away a free slice of pizza to ten people, and at least a handful of those people will come back to buy a whole pie.

And, $2 is more than nothing, which is what it costs MS to allow you to play these games. So, even for those that don't sign up again, MS just got $2 from millions of people that would have spent zero. Yes, you read that right...at $2, GamePass has likely gotten at least a million new subs. That's 2 million dollars they wouldn't have had otherwise.

For MS, it's a tactic to get people "hooked" on the whole Xbox ecosystem. And from their last numbers that they posted, it's working. Their gaming division just had their biggest quarter ever, while selling a system that is third place in the 2019 market.

Wow...they haven't released any games in the quarter and Crackdown 3 was a flop...how are they pulling in more money than anytime in the history of Xbox?

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I paid a quarter of a dollar to play Gears 5. Why would I say no to that?

I'm part of the statistics, but does that mean much in the grand scheme of things?

How'd you only pay $0.25c?

Granjinha - Variety is important, absolutely, but I feel MS has to be much more strategic in what they pay for and present as coming to GP. Too much mediocrity and not very engaging experiences and they run the risk of boring gamers, not too different from what Netflix is suffering from right now.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any region locking on PC Gamepass? I'm in Mexico at the moment, but it looks like there's more than enough stuff I'd like to play to make a subscription worth it.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Well 2$ for 2 month is the best fucking deal ever
Well the free month (plus one more from the auto renewal) for the PC game pass from Alienware was even better.

I will use it next month on The Outer Worlds.

A few months ago I played Forza Horizon 4 with the 1€ for 3 months offer.

Before the game pass I had bought on Microsoft Store the Forza Horizon 3 + Blizzard Mountain expansion and the ultimate edition of Forza Motorsport 7.

Crazy but I assume Microsoft sooner or later will reduce a lot the offers.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Gears is awesome. Game Pass is an awesome value. Great news for everyone involved.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
So glad for that 1-month giveaway this week. Got 3 years worth of XGPU and only spent $2.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just stupid NOT to use it at this point. I had 2 friends sign up who'd never heard of it so they could play Gears. I basically told them "It's 1 dollar, and then just cancel immediately and you can play for a full month til you're bored with it". One guy couldn't believe it was real lol.

I'm going to cancel for what it's worth. I wanted to play Gears 5 beta and the retail game so I'm good with that for the price of a McDouble.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Am i crazy.....or where is the source ? Numbers grew how much exactly and from what ?

Anyway we knew since e3 that Gears 5 would be the first big first party release really to benefit from GamePass - SoT, CRackdown and co. were nice and all but no critical darling.

May 25, 2019
London
Wonder how many signups were taking advantage of the $1 upgrade thingy. I spent about $280 to get three accounts on Ultimate for until June 2022.

So you gave them $280 upfront to rent digital bits from them

I'd say their model is doing quite well

(I love Game Pass, just pointing out that a deal for consumers can also work out for Microsoft)

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I'm a bit dumb but I don't really see why Microsoft would be so happy that GoW5 is so popular in GamePass. Wouldn't they want to sell more physical and digital copies? It's not like they're going to get more revenue if the game is only played thanks to GamePass...
Sorry for the thread derail but I never understood this.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
First Gears game I haven't actually bought thanks to Game Pass. Feels kinda weird.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Well duh why pay 60 bucks for it if you can sign up for Gamepass.

Explains why Sea of Thieves was 2nd bestselling games of March 2018 NPD, outselling MLB The Show, despite being on GamePass and MS offering free first month GamePass signups.

I'm a bit dumb but I don't really see why Microsoft would be so happy that GoW5 is so popular in GamePass. Wouldn't they want to sell more physical and digital copies? It's not like they're going to get more revenue if the game is only played thanks to GamePass...

Business 101.use an attractive hook to get as many users in your ecosystem or tied to a subscription service.
Reason why Apple gave 3 months Apple music subs for free, why they're also giving a year free Apple TV + subs to folks who buy new Apple devices.
Or Direct TV subscribers being given an Apple TV for free after a one year sign-up.

Take the hit upfront and keep the users.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I believe that Gears 5 is a mega hit on Game Pass.

Also, I would some day like see subscription numbers for Game Pass. What was the peak? Are they there now?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
So you gave them $280 upfront to rent digital bits from them

I'd say their model is doing quite well

(I love Game Pass, just pointing out that a deal for consumers can also work out for Microsoft)
Difficult to say without knowing what MS has to pay those devs for that content the next 3 years and how much "traditional" sales they are missing out.

When you have to spent a 1k to make 300 bucks its not really working out - not saying thats its this crazy...but you get the point.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going by some posters here on this forum I thought all their other exclusives were mega hits already with game pass 🤔. Oh well they already got my ultimate sub anyway 🙌

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
No, they want recurring engaged subscriptions over sales. Sales are a one and done revenue spike, subscriptions are ongoing. It's why every company in the world, even Nintendo, is pivoting to subscriptions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I believe that Gears 5 is a mega hit on Game Pass.

Also, I would some day like see subscription numbers for Game Pass. What was the peak? Are they there now?
I think Microsoft will be more amenable to sharing those as we head into the next generation, since it will give them a talking point to differentiate from PlayStation.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft wants subscriptions. They want to be the Netflix (or whoever else you want to put in here) of video games. PC, Xbox, it doesn't matter. They are hoping to make great games + work with third parties to make sure Game Pass has a lot of content and they want gamers to subscribe.

May 25, 2019
London

Most of the people in this "big wave" that are playing Gears 5 right now on Game Pass would never buy it for $60. So Microsoft is getting $10 (or $2, or $1) from them instead of $0. It only takes a few of those people put together to equal the cost of another $60 sale.

The model works for them because the audience they are reaching with this is far, far greater than the audience they were reaching by keeping Gears 4 a $60 game on PC and XBox One. The ability to stream Game Pass games on xCloud is only going to increase its potential market.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017

Granjinha - Variety is important, absolutely, but I feel MS has to be much more strategic in what they pay for and present as coming to GP. Too much mediocrity and not very engaging experiences and they run the risk of boring gamers, not too different from what Netflix is suffering from right now.
I paid 1 brazilian real, which is roughly a quarter.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when Netflix and Hulu and Amazon gives EVERYONE a month free for new accounts...those are failing businesses?

How many times does the concept of subscription services have to be explained? Yes most people will not resubscribe but there will be enough that do stay in order to make a profit. Low barrier of entry and all that.

It's peak concern trolling. MS isn't subsiding anything. Give away a free slice of pizza to ten people, and at least a handful of those people will come back to buy a whole pie.

And, $2 is more than nothing, which is what it costs MS to allow you to play these games. So, even for those that don't sign up again, MS just got $2 from millions of people that would have spent zero. Yes, you read that right...at $2, GamePass has likely gotten at least a million new subs. That's 2 million dollars they wouldn't have had otherwise.

For MS, it's a tactic to get people "hooked" on the whole Xbox ecosystem. And from their last numbers that they posted, it's working. Their gaming division just had their biggest quarter ever, while selling a system that is third place in the 2019 market.

Wow...they haven't released any games in the quarter and Crackdown 3 was a flop...how are they pulling in more money than anytime in the history of Xbox?

Netflix and all those others have been around for years and enough evidence to show they are success interms of subscriber numbers and retaining people. Any service provider could come out with a new subscription service for $2 and people would flock to them like gamepass it doesn't prove anything.

And you are living in cuckoo land if you think MS is not subsidising gamepass, most of what they are making off their gaming division will most likely be xbox live and not gamepass

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It's way to early to say if it is anything close to success. If those people who get it for $3 and then unsub that sounds terrible. We still haven't got any solid subscriber numbers and how many people are actually staying at full price. It's good value but i really doubt MS want to be subsidising gaming in the long term.

This will always be the excuse. Look around and see how many entertainment companies are going after sub services.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
So I logged into Xbox app on windows to buy gears 5 and was amazed that it said I could play it now. Xbox game pass for pc apparently counts so for 5 dollars a month I get to play gears 5. Fucking incredible

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Game pass is fantastic. If I didn't get it cheap until 2022 I would still buy it as the value is crazy good. There's more than enough games to keep you always busy and a number of games I've tried thanks to the service that I wouldn't have otherwise.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if MS is gonna to calculate profit from Gears 5 based on both
  1. Revenue generated through physical and digital sales
  2. Revenue generated through Game Pass sign-ups that continued past their promo period.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear! The game absolutely deserves it, playing the campaign has been wonderful, especially at the subscription price for GamePass!

Oct 25, 2017

Do you feel that there is too much mediocrity right now, though? Some people i know absolutely adored Blair Witch - and even then, i don't thinks it's fair to use it as an argument that MS is not being strategic with the additions, there is a loooooot of cool stuff being added every month.