• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Anecdotally, i will finish Gears 5 with free 1 month gamepass from alienware and likely never "subscribe" again 😁 Actually, i was disappointed with games selection in pc segment of gp and those games that i was interested were very glitchy due to UWP or other circumstances (or no mods support, like in Shenmue 1+2)

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
source.gif

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit dumb but I don't really see why Microsoft would be so happy that GoW5 is so popular in GamePass. Wouldn't they want to sell more physical and digital copies? It's not like they're going to get more revenue if the game is only played thanks to GamePass...
Sorry for the thread derail but I never understood this.

For the same reason that Amazon want you on Prime more than buying DVDs. Continual cash flow.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
In fact, I will be playing this game thanks to Game Pass PC.

I´m superglad of these news, I really think models like Game Pass have big possibilites in the future of gaming.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, competitive pricing sure got me in. I just got 2 months of Ultimate for $2 after getting a month of PC Game Pass free from Alienware so I'm covered up through late November.

Sure, yes, I'll play Gears 5 for $2, Microsoft.

It is very good, though. Maybe the most tactical version of that game ever.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Netflix and all those others have been around for years and enough evidence to show they are success interms of subscriber numbers and retaining people. Any service provider could come out with a new subscription service for $2 and people would flock to them like gamepass it doesn't prove anything.

And you are living in cuckoo land if you think MS is not subsidising gamepass, most of what they are making off their gaming division will most likely be xbox live and not gamepass
So you just ignored the link I posted, where MS made the most money EVER from their gaming division last quarter. While people have less Xboxes than they did with the Xbox 360, which also had Xbox Live and big first party sales.

Why don't people understand that revenue is revenue? Do you understand how bad your take is?

If it costs MS $100 to pay developers to release X number of games in 2010, and to run their servers for the games to play on and be downloaded from...they make $110 at year's end...

Then in 2019, it costs $100 to make games/run servers, and they make $150 at year's end...guess what year they did best in? It's not the year where they didn't have GamePass! It's not deep, and I think you know that, where is why you ignored the link I posted.

On every measure, GamePass is a wild success. Microsoft has said as much and their income has shown it. And we have respected gaming analysts from across the globe saying the same.

But keep reaching.

Difficult to say without knowing what MS has to pay those devs for that content the next 3 years and how much "traditional" sales they are missing out.

When you have to spent a 1k to make 300 bucks its not really working out - not saying thats its this crazy...but you get the point.
It's not difficult to say, MS has already told us. They are making more money with GamePass than without it. "Traditional sales vs subscription sales"...that's not how revenue works at any company. And, they also have metrics to see who is downloading what and how long things are being played. Those same devs have performance metrics and that hasn't changed.

There is a reason why Disney is making Disney+ instead of putting the same content on Blu-rays and on premium cable or theatres. There is a reason why Nintendo has the NES and SNES as a part of NSO instead of selling them ala carte.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you just ignored the link I posted, where MS made the most money EVER from their gaming division last quarter. While people have less Xboxes than they did with the Xbox 360, which also had Xbox Live and big first party sales.

Why don't people understand that revenue is revenue? Do you understand how bad your take is?

If it costs MS $100 to pay developers to release X number of games in 2010, and to run their servers for the games to play on and be downloaded from...they make $110 at year's end...

Then in 2019, it costs $100 to make games/run servers, and they make $150 at year's end...guess what year they did best in? It's not the year where they didn't have GamePass! It's not deep, and I think you know that, where is why you ignored the link I posted.

On every measure, GamePass is a wild success. Microsoft has said as much and their income has shown it. And we have respected gaming analysts from across the globe saying the same.

But keep reaching.

Your link doesn't prove anything about what i mentioned, and lmao where are you getting some of your numbers from literally pulling it out of your ass. Not even MS themselves can prove gamepass will be a success as those other services until a few years.

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
Damn, Game Pass is a beast!

New allegiances have been formed;the same old console warriors are not enough to offset the positive headlines, they are joined by the fans of single player only games as they assume ( wrongly ) that Microsoft is out to get them with their 'GaaS Pass'. Furthermore, they are also joined by the fans of retail industry and those that prefer boxed collections.

Why is it this hard to realize that Game Pass is not a personal attack on you&your preferences ?

If the industry is going to move in a specific direction that you do not like, Game Pass will only be a catalyst towards the endgame, it will not be the deciding factor.

Regarding Gears 5 itself, it was an important milestone for the Game Pass, it's success was critical for the good will that Xbox needs going into the next gen.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love gamepass, I love Gears 5 (outside of all my issues server related in the OT), but I do need someone to explain to me how me giving them $2 to be able to not only play Gears 5 but any other 1st party game moving forward is better when I would have just straight up purchased it for $60 at launch like I have done every other Gears release.

If they're counting on people like me to drop money along the way on microtransactions they won't get that from me. Especially with how rewards are currently in Gears 5 where things you earn through playing are super shitty but yet the really cool stuff you have to fork over cash for.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I love Gears 5 a lot, as well as Game Pass, so I find this great news. Good on Microsoft and The Coalition, and here's hoping they can properly capitalize on this momentum.

Needs more games like Gears 5 then lol.

I subscribed but I feel at some point gears 5 is gonna be like $30 and I can just end the subscription.

Can MS please tell us what the next mega hit is? If its Halo that can be far

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Your link doesn't prove anything about what i mentioned, and lmao where are you getting some of your numbers from. Not even MS themselves can prove gamepass will be a success until a few years.
So...MS is lying? They made over $10 billion last quarter which is the best they've ever done...in a quarter where they had no new game releases.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
You had to get codes from alienwarearena.com when they were giving them out, and I think they were only available in the U.S. and Canada. They're giving some out right now, but they're only available to members on the site who are Level 2 or above.

Damn i missed my chance.

Thanks and hope they do it again

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

I subscribed but I feel at some point gears 5 is gonna be like $30 and I can just end the subscription.

You don't need mega-hit after mega-hit to keep people subscribed lol. Games like Outer WIlds, The Outer Worlds, Battletoads, Ori, Psychonaughts 2, Minecraft Dungeons, third party games like DMC 5, and so on will do the job just fine.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
BuT whY d0nT theY rEleasE t3H sAles NumBerz GuYzZ?!?!?111G4mE mUstiVe fL0pPeD rIgHT??/

Seriously though, well deserved. One of the greatest games of this gen easily. Glad MS comes off the tail end of the XB1 era with a very high note.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if MS is gonna to calculate profit from Gears 5 based on both
  1. Revenue generated through physical and digital sales
  2. Revenue generated through Game Pass sign-ups that continued past their promo period.
Both. For GamePass, they likely have a metric based solely on how many people are playing, how often. It has nothing to do with the sign-up offers. Get X number of people to download and play Gears 5 for Y number of hours, get Z amount of "credit" for revenue on their performance metrics.

This is how almost all subscription services work internally.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Some basic math to keep in mind:
- a normal console attach rate is less than 10 games
- most games are sold at $20-$50 in sales or after price cuts, not for $60 at launch
- someone subscribed to console game pass for five years has paid the equivalent of 10 $60 games. Game pass ultimate for 5 years = 15 $60 games.

Not hard to see how the math works if MS can get a bunch of people into the service. Obviously they're in the promotion and customer acquisition phase of the service. Once it gets bigger, which games like Gears are helping with, they will cut down the availability/degree of promos.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft Dungeons, Ori, Outer Worlds?
You don't need mega-hit after mega-hit to keep people subscribed lol. Games like Outer WIlds, The Outer Worlds, Battletoads, Ori, Psychonaughts 2, Minecraft Dungeons, third party games like DMC 5, and so on will do the job just fine.
I think you do but we'll see. The news since Gears 5 came out regarding gamepass has been more positive than usual. This news Zhuge shared is prime example. We didn't get this news when DmCV came out or outer world.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So...MS is lying? They made over $10 billion last quarter which is the best they've ever done...in a quarter where they had no new game releases.
There not lying about anything. You just can't get it through your thickhead that $2 gamepass is not going to actually not going to do anything for profit or revenue. You think what people are paying for gamepass right now is gonna cover gears or devil may cry 5 and all the other newish games they offer? They are paying 10s of millions for those games. MS main game right now is to get alot of people subscribing and keep them on the service.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
A lot of people are signing up because of the $1-$2 1 month deals for ultimate not to mention that you can use those deals to one-time upgrade your entire Gold Membership to Ultimate. Many people are buying 3 years of Gold and converting it to Ultimate.

Praise for getting people to do it but it's far too early to commend it for competitive pricing, at least when you're just looking at sticker price. I doubt as many people would be buying if they had to pay full Ultimate monthly pricing.

I bet these folks will be buying Scarlett too 😉

There not lying about anything. You just can't get it through your thickhead that $2 gamepass is not going to actually not going to do anything for profit or revenue. You think what people are paying for gamepass right now is gonna cover gears or devil may cry 5 and all the other newish games they offer? They are paying 10s of millions for those games.

Depends on how much MT and expansions they sell for the games.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think you do but we'll see. The news since Gears 5 came out regarding gamepass has been more positive than usual. This news Zhuge shared is prime example. We didn't get this news when DmCV came out or outer world.
Big games like Gears and Halo drive subscriptions, a variety of smaller games between those mega-hits keep them subscribed. I think we've only had positive Game Pass news. The service is obviously doing really well.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Was extremely cool to play a few days early off of gamepass.

I'm still going to cancel when my 2 months is up

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big games like Gears and Halo drive subscriptions, a variety of smaller games keep them subscribed. I think we've only had positive Game Pass news. The service is obviously doing really well.
I think they can and will do a lot better and specifically speaking for myself and my circle. This the first time we signed up for game pass. Well I did before but I had a trial from buying a One X. This being a big first party game with a bunch of anticipation helped. The news isn't surprising to me but I bet money MS can change how games are purchased with this model. I think they should find some way to get big 3rd party games on there too like Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Madden and Star Wars.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming Gears has done massive sales if we're to follow previous examples of Gamepass hits. I love that Gamepass is throwing the rule book out the window on how to succeed, its short-circuited alot observers here clinging on to conventional idea of success (it can't sell big because of Gamepass!!).

Couldn't be happier for The Coalition. What a studio they've grown into.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Remember Outer Worlds is on just next month. Absolutely insane service, love it. There is nothing like it at the moment.

Coalition deserve all this praise for such a quality game.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Really hoping we don't get even further gating as time goes on. "Coming first to PS+/GamePass/NintendoOnline" would really be annoying.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah it's awesome to be able to play the full game for $2
I'm locked in for 3 years of Ultimate, all for $1. Not sure how it's sustainable, but God damn is it a deal

Super happy for the coalition. Congrats on what is a serious GotY contender.

Last edited:

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017

It's not necessarily about mega hits, but about a constant stream of quality games. The megahits like Gears and Halo are great, but those are compounded with constant updates to GAAS like Sea of Thieves and FH4, intruiging releases like Ori, Outer Worlds, and Blair Witch, quality indies like Slay the Spire and Dead Cells, and great surprises like DMC5, Kingdom Come, and Monster Hunter. They have a great recipe that I think will earn a fair bit of people that retain their subscriptions after the cheap deals, even if it's not 100% of them. And even those are okay - if they get them subscribing again for the next megahit, they'll still be making some money.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
GamePass is literally the thing that made me switch to my Xbox from my PS4 as my primary console right at the end of this generation.

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I still don't see how this will be sustainable in the long term. Something like Apple Arcade makes more sense, since it's not for high-budget games.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
This gamepass converting my Live to ultimate, is confusing the shit out of me.

I have Live until Jan 2020. If I renew for a year (till Jan 2021), right now, and then go for gamepass £2 for 2 months, when those 2 months finish, my Live will include ultimate gamepass until Jan 2021, for free?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft and renowned analysts of the industry: The game has been a great success for Microsoft
Internet users whose only experience in the market is playing videogames: Actually.....

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Good to hear!

I don't have an Xbox and can't say the idea of GamePass does much for me (as I prefer to own my games), but...can you imagine if a service like this was around when you were a kid? I would be lucky to get 3-4 new games per year at that age, and usually had to rely more on borrowing friends games or straight up just playing them at their houses. This would have been a fucking dream scenario. Literally too good to be true.

I'm glad it exists for that reason.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Worlds hits in late October 🤠
Outer Wilds then I know one of them came out already
It's not necessarily about mega hits, but about a constant stream of quality games. The megahits like Gears and Halo are great, but those are compounded with constant updates to GAAS like Sea of Thieves and FH4, intruiging releases like Ori, Outer Worlds, and Blair Witch, quality indies like Slay the Spire and Dead Cells, and great surprises like DMC5, Kingdom Come, and Monster Hunter. They have a great recipe that I think will earn a fair bit of people that retain their subscriptions after the cheap deals, even if it's not 100% of them. And even those are okay - if they get them subscribing again for the next megahit, they'll still be making some money.
Yeah I think they will figure it out. I want them to understand that mega hits every now and then are important to a lot of people to even initially subscribe.