• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't see how this will be sustainable in the long term. Something like Apple Arcade makes more sense, since it's not for high-budget games.
Gamepass is 2-3 times more expensive than Apple Arcade, has games that contain micro transaction, and you can also buy the games when they get on sale. Plus you have to have gold to play a majority of those games. It's a much more lucrative subscription than Apple Arcade

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
The two subs are separate, so games that happen to be on both subs may not interconnect. HOWEVER, games that are play anywhere like Gears will work on both platforms, even if you only have one type of sub.

Not true, if the game is Play Anywhere you can play it on PC if you have Xbox Game Pass. That's why people thought there was already a PC Game Pass since games like Forza Horizon 4 worked on PC.

Even better, thanks!

Bro you got it for basically 3 years...it's 2019, 2022 is basically 3 years. Good shit man.

Haha, yeah true.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I see this a lot and I did it too, but it didn't just cost me £1. It cost over £150 when you factor in the three years of Gold sub and the GP I had already bought before this upgrade offer popped up.

Tbf, it just cost me £60 for two years, that's for 24 months Live, upgraded to ultimate (so would've been £90 for 36 months). For me, that's that's pretty much the price for something like Gears 5 (you get the ultimate version on gamepass irrc), and everything else free. If I want to buy Gears 5 down the road, through Gamepass I'll also get 10% off. Brilliant deal imo.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Edit my post to acknowledge the 3 year part. I assume it's the people that did the gp ultimate hack?

LOL, it's not a "hack". It was a deal Microsoft offered. That's why it was capped off at 36 months. It wasn't just 1/2 dollars though, I paid for 3 years worth of Xbox Live then did the $1 upgrade to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. It was still cheap overall but 3 years will pass quickly and then I'll be paying for it yearly. For me I don't care about owning games, I rarely replay them. I have a few hundred games sitting in boxes that I'll never touch again. I'm generally playing the newest games and Game Pass has enough to keep me busy over the next few years.

Even better, thanks!

You don't have to worry either way, your upgrade gave you Game Pass Ultimate which includes Game Pass for PC.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel very locked in over $2. Microsoft are delusional if they think that I'll ditch my PS4 pro and Sony exclusives, my switch and it's portability, over $2 to play gears 5 on my Xbox one S. These 3 year subscribers might be a different story though. And I'm sure as shit not buying dlc for games I'm renting. Jesus.

The tweet wasn't aimed just at you and MS doesn't care if you also play PS or Nintendo.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I'm one of them who signed up to ultimate for $2. It's still mind boggling how people don't understand the strategy involved with it. It's well worth it and Gears V was a pretty solid game all round as well. Can't even imagine what's it's going to be like when Halo eventually goes on especially when launching on new system. $1 Gamepass Ultimate with Halo launch games etc + New console Bundle is going to make it extremely competitive.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
LOL, it's not a "hack". It was a deal Microsoft offered. That's why it was capped off at 36 months. It wasn't just 1/2 dollars though, I paid for 3 years worth of Xbox Live then did the 1 upgrade to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. It was still cheap overall but 3 years will pass quickly and then I'll be paying for it yearly. For me I don't care about owning games, I rarely replay them. I have a few hundred games sitting in boxes that I'll never touch again. I'm generally playing the newest games and Game Pass has enough to keep me busy over the next few years.

Still is being offered for new gamepass subscribers.

You don't have to worry either way, your upgrade gave you Game Pass Ultimate which includes Game Pass for PC.

Yeah, was just reading up on this, cheers.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about the business model yet that's why you don't see bigger third-party publisher participating, certainly not with their newer games.

The second biggest publisher in the industry (EA) created their own "Gamepass" before MS did. Ubisoft has now also done the same.

The model may not be proven for larger publishers putting their biggest games on someone else's subscription service, but they generally seem to be in agreement in regards to the value of putting their games behind their own sub, like MS is doing.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I got the free thing with Alienware but lost motivation to commit to trying Gears (data rationing ISP), especially after Game Pass downloaded Prey (35 gigs or so) when I wanted to see how big the download was and tried to cancel after it started to download. Days later it decided to download the whole game without any notification that it was doing so or that it even finished.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I don't feel very locked in over $2. Microsoft are delusional if they think that I'll ditch my PS4 pro and Sony exclusives, my switch and it's portability, over $2 to play gears 5 on my Xbox one S. These 3 year subscribers might be a different story though. And I'm sure as shit not buying dlc for games I'm renting. Jesus.
Your small minded console warrior blood boiling cry almost makes me want to feel sorry for you. If that's your reaction to a game being successful, then your life is going to be hell. Lol probably already is

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
The second biggest publisher in the industry (EA) created their own "Gamepass" before MS did. Ubisoft has now also done the same.

The model may not be proven for larger publishers putting their biggest games on someone else's subscription service, but they generally seem to be in agreement in regards to the value of putting their games behind their own sub, like MS is doing.

I wonder if it's possible that at the launch of next gen, MS might offer some kind of discount for the combined subs, i.e. including EA Access etc. Like another tier of Gamepass, with EA Access + Ubiwhatever.

Ot, but I wish MS released an Elite version of the Gears 5 controller; it's so goddamn gorgeous.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

giphy.gif

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's on PC too

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why MS didn't throw in some OneDrive storage into the GPU subscription as a sweetener to add another reason for people not to stop paying. It probably wouldn't cost them anything/very little to do it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about the business model yet that's why you don't see bigger third-party publisher participating, certainly not with their newer games. It's a business model worth trying by MS and if it really proves itself as a viable business model for all parties involved then I don't see why other platform holders won't have something similar. It'll be good to see the year-end financial report for this and next year and see if the revenue kept growing for the whole gaming division instead of just people describing benefits subjectively.
You don't see other publishers because they are making their own services. EA, UBI etc already have their own services. And you do see Capcom, Square enix and WB games on gamepass

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. What is this about?

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
The tweet wasn't aimed just at you and MS doesn't care if you also play PS or Nintendo.
Your small minded console warrior blood boiling cry almost makes me want to feel sorry for you. If that's your reaction to a game being successful, then your life is going to be hell. Lol probably already is

My life's great bro but you sound like a horrible internet person. Not console waring, just stating that the quality and number of video games has never been greater and just because something is cheap doesn't mean it's successful. There must be a reason we don't get $$ numbers. Obviously they're still trying to lock in people with all these intro deals and I do hope it works out for them but I think even Microsoft doesn't know if gp is going to be successful long term.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if it's possible that at the launch of next gen, MS might offer some kind of discount for the combined subs, i.e. including EA Access etc. Like another tier of Gamepass, with EA Access + Ubiwhatever.

Ubisoft is pretty much doing this with Stadia, so I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it become more common next gen with streaming services on closed platforms becoming standard functionality.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's certainly an appealing deal to me, so I can understand if it does well.
I'm primarily interested in Gears 5 to play the campaign, so the idea I can pay for a month of Game Pass and have a comfortable 30 days to complete the campaign (as opposed to renting at a place like Redbox where fees start to add up pretty quickly on a daily rate) sounds quite nice.

Currently have some other games to go through on my backlog before I play Gears and decide what I want to do, but definitely appreciate this option. Also nice to be able to do this on PC.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
You could just... play Xbox in addition to PlayStation and Nintendo?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft is pretty much doing this with Stadia, so I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it become more common next gen with streaming services on closed platforms becoming standard functionality.

Yeah, I'd prefer to just sign up to everything once, at one place, especially with some kind of discount, or Gamepass Platinum Tier.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
maybe. I think netflix is different as the cost to own a movie is about $20aud (particularly digitally), a game is about $70aud. A movie is about 2hours long, a game is about 10-20. If anything game pass should cost $30/month not $2. I think game pass is getting devalued but as a consumer I probably shouldn't complain.

Again, they want you to jump in and get used to it. They can't do that at $30 a pop. The two dollars a month is for you to give it a shot and at one point, you won't be able to subscribe for two dollars anymore.

The low price right now is so that the subscriptions go up. Eventually the price will go up too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It was a response to the tweet saying Microsoft business mode was locking you into their platform. I feel the idea of playing other systems is the opposite of what Microsoft wants, especially with a sub service.
Lock in doesn't mean you're locked in at the expense of others, in this case it means you're locked in in addition to the others.

Just because I bought an iPad doesn't mean I stop using my Android phone, it just means I'm now locked into both ecosystems.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It was a response to the tweet saying Microsoft business mode was locking you into their platform. I feel the idea of playing other systems is the opposite of what Microsoft wants, especially with a sub service.

They all want you on their platforms as much as possible lol

But out of those three only one 1: has the more powerful console, 2: is intertwined with PC and views it as an extension of its platform so it doesn't matter if I'm on the couch or at my desk and 3: has a reallllllyyyy killer subscription service that gets me their first-party games at launch as well as some really good 3rd party titles I maybe wouldn't have played otherwise.

PS4 and Nintendo are just exclusives-only machines now for me for those reasons. Microsoft's strategy is working.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

But out of those three only one 1: has the more powerful console, 2: is intertwined with PC and views it as an extension of its platform so it doesn't matter if I'm on the couch or at my desk and 3: has a reallllllyyyy killer subscription service that gets me their first-party games at launch as well as some really good 3rd party titles I maybe wouldn't have played otherwise.

PS4 and Nintendo are just exclusives-only machines now for me for those reasons. Microsoft's strategy is working.
You're completely right and I hope it's really successful and convinces the other two to put out something equally competitive.

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Gamepass is 2-3 times more expensive than Apple Arcade, has games that contain micro transaction, and you can also buy the games when they get on sale. Plus you have to have gold to play a majority of those games. It's a much more lucrative subscription than Apple Arcade
The games are probably 5 times more expensive to make and Apple has a wider user base with iPhones. I also doubt that the majority of people that paid for the sub will buy the games.

Anyway, I want to see where all of this is going. Probably next year Sony will have an answer to game pass and more publishers will make their services too.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

As long as you subscribe, they don't give a rat's ass where else you're playing. Hell, if for some reason you subscribe to GP and still play all third party games elsewhere, that suits them even better - less load on their servers.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

But if you're buying those Sony and Nintendo exclusives, you're worth more as a customer to them than you are to Microsoft. Profit-wise, MS loses. The biggest worth you have to MS if you're only investing $5 a month for a subscription is to inflate their engagement numbers and potentially they can throw some ads at you somehow. It's great for customers, but it doesn't seem like a sustainable business model. That price is going up or they may have to walk back some of the benefits like getting first-party games day one. I can see why they are pushing Gamepass so much right now because they don't have as much to lose.

If it were me, I'd switch from this Netflix-ish model, to something similar to renting movies on services like Vudu and iTunes. Charge $5 per game for a 2-3 day rental and occasionally give out free rentals. If people can't finish the game they like in that time, they'll either rent it again or buy it. Basically take the Gamefly/Redbox model but make it even easier because it's all just expiring digital licenses with the option to buy.