• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
As long as you subscribe, they don't give a rat's ass where else you're playing. Hell, if for some reason you subscribe to GP and still play all third party games elsewhere, that suits them even better - less load on their servers.
Sorry to keep harping in about it but the tweet mentioned dlc to gp games as revenue, so naturally Microsoft would want you playing on their system exclusively to maximise dlc purchases. That's my reading anyways.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If 343i sticks the landing, the combination of Scarlett, GamePass, and the massive 5 year gap since Halo 5 (and hell, even the disappointment people felt with 4 and 4) could lead to a true megaton moment. The stars are all aligned for a potential BotW-like explosive resurgence for the franchise.

Steam, Xcloud, PC-GP. Whew!

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It is really smart to have people locked into the ecosystem for the launch of Scarlett. It'll give people extra incentive to buy the system.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the free thing with Alienware but lost motivation to commit to trying Gears (data rationing ISP), especially after Game Pass downloaded Prey (35 gigs or so) when I wanted to see how big the download was and tried to cancel after it started to download. Days later it decided to download the whole game without any notification that it was doing so or that it even finished.
You set your connection to a data metered connection? If not I suggest doing that

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The amazing thing about the discourse in this thread is the downplaying.

Everyone probably has a Spotify, Apple Music, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime or other subscription account, almost all of which came with some introductory offer to get the user bought in before they pay full whack later down the line. Everyone knows this ploy, it's as old as time itself.

And then Gamepass builds steam and suddenly this oldest of subscription strategies is unsustainable and not viable

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
But if you're buying those Sony and Nintendo exclusives, you're worth more as a customer to them than you are to Microsoft. Profit-wise, MS loses. The biggest worth you have to MS if you're only investing $5 a month for a subscription is to inflate their engagement numbers and potentially they can throw some ads at you somehow. It's great for customers, but it doesn't seem like a sustainable business model. That price is going up or they may have to walk back some of the benefits like getting first-party games day one. I can see why they are pushing Gamepass so much right now because they don't have as much to lose.

If it were me, I'd switch from this Netflix-ish model, to something similar to renting movies on services like Vudu and iTunes. Charge $5 per game for a 2-3 day rental and occasionally give out free rentals. If people can't finish the game they like in that time, they'll either rent it again or buy it. Basically take the Gamefly/Redbox model but make it even easier because it's all just expiring digital licenses with the option to buy.
Hahahaha... Ads... Hahahahahahaha
Nah. They making extra money off of users on the subscribers too. :)

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, when you spell it all out like that...

I'm just dreaming of the day MS announce an exclusive partnership with Garmin/Fitbit, and Kickr/Tacx. Imagine being able to connect your smart trainer to an Xbox, and use MS version of Zwift. Or even log into your Xbox, and sync with your fitness tracker, and see live health stats... Like Xbox Health.

To clarify - This is ideal, but not confirmed?

Apparently it is.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
The amazing thing about the discourse in this thread is the downplaying.

Everyone probably has a Spotify, Apple Music, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime or other subscription account, almost all of which came with some introductory offer to get the user bought in before they pay full whack later down the line. Everyone knows this ploy, it's as old as time itself.

And then Gamepass builds steam and suddenly this oldest of subscription strategies is unsustainable and not viable

This. I bought an iphone headset lightning adapter cable thingy at Best Buy for 9.99 and they were trying to give me a free month Apple Music subscription with it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just dreaming of the day MS announce an exclusive partnership with Garmin/Fitbit, and Kickr/Tacx. Imagine being able to connect your smart trainer to an Xbox, and use MS version of Zwift. Or even log into your Xbox, and sync with your fitness tracker, and see live health stats... Like Xbox Health.
You mean like Microsoft Health...which they are shutting down...or already shut down, I forgot I had my email the other week talking about it.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to keep harping in about it but the tweet mentioned dlc to gp games as revenue, so naturally Microsoft would want you playing on their system exclusively to maximise dlc purchases. That's my reading anyways.

Why do you think one can only play one console if they purchase dlc? Microsoft doesn't revoke your purchase if they find out you bought something from them and still played your other systems.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
You mean like Microsoft Health...which they are shutting down...or already shut down, I forgot I had my email the other week talking about it.

Yeah I was just reading up on that. But instead of having hardware, you could just send data (e.g. from a Fitbit) to an app on xbox (a bit like you do with fitness trackers and my fitness pal). So Strava, Garmin Connect, Samsung health etc, could all sync with it.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It's not JUST game pass that makes Microsoft's launch day message for Scarlett so scary. Everything they have done since 2014 has been gamer-focused. Everything has been forward thinking. They have stuck almost every landing on every policy. Only thing left is making better games. Forza 4 (best racing game ever) and Gears 5 are great, but not PS level great. Ball is rolling however. Let's recap what should be their message (a continuation of Phil's E3 2019 speech at the end):

1. We have supported (and outwardly advocated for) cross play because it makes sense
2. We have supported backwards compatibility because we're gamers and we hate when gamers lose access to games they already own. We have done so completely free for those who already own the game. It's been 100 percent fair. OG, 360, and Xbox One.
3. We have supported cross-buy across xbox and pc. We have supported PC with updates and now games.
4. We have Game Pass - $15 across both x1 and pc for AAA titles.
5. We have supported indies more than any other console manufacturer - Game Pass, Inside Xbox, and various other events have cast a significant spotlight on these titles. Now, with the introduction of Winter of Arcade and the like, I feel personally like they're doing the most in this space in terms of marketing.
6. We have the best servers in America and plan on allowing you to play wherever and whenever you want.
7. We are focused entirely on the gamer.

Now imagine the introduction of these new messages/presentations:
8. We are launching at $400 worldwide.
9. The most gorgeous open world 60 fps 4k halo game ever with keyboard and mouse support on pc
10. Ninja on stage to present and play it at E3 2020.
11. Playground Games Open World RPG teased.
12. 4K 60 fps turn10 forza gameplay shown.
13. Continued support for Accessibility controller/input options

I'm telling you it'll be a perfect storm. Because it's not about exclusives anymore in 2020. Or even power. It's about access and value. If MS can focus on access and value - I think MS has a huge resurgence.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
But if you're buying those Sony and Nintendo exclusives, you're worth more as a customer to them than you are to Microsoft. Profit-wise, MS loses. The biggest worth you have to MS if you're only investing $5 a month for a subscription is to inflate their engagement numbers and potentially they can throw some ads at you somehow. It's great for customers, but it doesn't seem like a sustainable business model. That price is going up or they may have to walk back some of the benefits like getting first-party games day one. I can see why they are pushing Gamepass so much right now because they don't have as much to lose.

If it were me, I'd switch from this Netflix-ish model, to something similar to renting movies on services like Vudu and iTunes. Charge $5 per game for a 2-3 day rental and occasionally give out free rentals. If people can't finish the game they like in that time, they'll either rent it again or buy it. Basically take the Gamefly/Redbox model but make it even easier because it's all just expiring digital licenses with the option to buy.

Average gamer buys 2 games per a year. Often those aren't both 1st party. Subscription leads to more engagement which has a "halo effect"...meaning word of mouth, additional sales of games, better branding of the platform in general, more controller sales, add on transactions, etc. It doesn't eliminate or replace the old business model. It makes being a gaming enthusiast more accessible to the general population. This impact is exponential when 5G is a thing and the entry level cost to access hundreds of games and Microsoft's entire ecosystem is a entry level subscription fee.

Microsoft has around 45 million consoles sold. They don't have a total of 45 million 1st party games sold. Not even close. That means over the course of 5 years, most Xbox gamers buying 2 games a year are mostly buying 3rd party AAA games...which continues to happen in addition to Game Pass.

Subscriptions are not a zero sum gain.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks to that Alienware promo, I'm all set with GP Ultimate until 2022, which makes me extra excited for the next gen to know I won't have to spend any additional money on various titles I want to play (Halo Infinite!).

Would love for Sony to join in with a similar program. I certainly enjoyed their exclusives more this gen, but it was primarily single player games that I didn't return to afterwards. This lead to me selling back the title or keeping it 'just because' (but still not returning to it).

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the business model yet that's why you don't see bigger third-party publisher participating, certainly not with their newer games. It's a business model worth trying by MS and if it really proves itself as a viable business model for all parties involved then I don't see why other platform holders won't have something similar. It'll be good to see the year-end financial report for this and next year and see if the revenue kept growing for the whole gaming division instead of just people describing benefits subjectively.
Yeah, if they get 3rd party titles on here then it would be crazy.

I wonder if MS could pay for 3rd parties to release their game on gamepass?

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
LOL - fuck you are so wrong.
people misunderstand what "locking in" means all the time. Locking in means you have the CAPACITY to just be drunk one night and buy Batman Arkham Knight on sale. Or buy a dlc for Gears to get a Baird skin. It's like at a checkout when you are about to leave and you see a cute thing of butterfingers. You're like lol i don't need it but it's only 1.50 ima get it. That's what locking means and does for the platform

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I subscribed pretty much for Gears 5 so I can believe it.

Gears & Halo are the kind of games I wouldn't buy an Xbox for, but thanks to gamepass I can finally try them out without having to commit to a piece of hardware I don't want, so that's nice. Will probably let the sub lapse from time to time though and renew only when the games I'm interested in come out.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have numbers? The tweets are vague but dont really say they are seeing actual numbers

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not JUST game pass that makes Microsoft's launch day message for Scarlett so scary. Everything they have done since 2014 has been gamer-focused. Everything has been forward thinking. They have stuck almost every landing on every policy. Only thing left is making better games. Forza 4 (best racing game ever) and Gears 5 are great, but not PS level great. Ball is rolling however. Let's recap what should be their message (a continuation of Phil's E3 2019 speech at the end):

1. We have supported (and outwardly advocated for) cross play because it makes sense
2. We have supported backwards compatibility because we're gamers and we hate when gamers lose access to games they already own. We have done so completely free for those who already own the game. It's been 100 percent fair. OG, 360, and Xbox One.
3. We have supported cross-buy across xbox and pc. We have supported PC with updates and now games.
4. We have Game Pass - $15 across both x1 and pc for AAA titles.
5. We have supported indies more than any other console manufacturer - Game Pass, Inside Xbox, and various other events have cast a significant spotlight on these titles. Now, with the introduction of Winter of Arcade and the like, I feel personally like they're doing the most in this space in terms of marketing.
6. We have the best servers in America and plan on allowing you to play wherever and whenever you want.
7. We are focused entirely on the gamer.

Now imagine the introduction of these new messages/presentations:
8. We are launching at $400 worldwide.
9. The most gorgeous open world 60 fps 4k halo game ever with keyboard and mouse support on pc
10. Ninja on stage to present and play it at E3 2020.
11. Ninja Theory Open World RPG teased.
12. 4K 60 fps turn10 forza gameplay shown.
13. Continued support for Accessibility controller/input options

I'm telling you it'll be a perfect storm. Because it's not about exclusives anymore in 2020. Or even power. It's about access and value. If MS can focus on access and value - I think MS has a huge resurgence.
Forza and gears are definitely "PS great"

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose this is as good a thread as any to post it, is the 2 months of Game Pass Ultimate for £2 deal only applicable to customers who've never subscribed to GP before (I've had the standard console sub in the past, never ultimate) or am I just missing something because I'm only being offered 1 month for £1?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Not surprising in the least, I have a few friends that signed up for a month just to play it. Oddly enough I have had Gamepass for months and still haven't even played a game on it lol.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Forza and gears are definitely "PS great"

Halo, forza, and gears are all top tier franchises. PlayStation has consistent releases from all of their studios it feel like.

Nintendo is head and shoulders the #1 first party, then Sony, and some distance later Microsoft. Once ms gets rolling things will change, but that's how it looks atm.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I still find hard to believe that they'll be able to keep pumping money into AAA services if people move away from traditional purchases in favor of this service. Specially considering how much money they probably pay for third party games to be available. We'll see.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I love gamepass . Let's me try games I probably wouldnt have bought , and ms 1st party day one I'll always be subscribed .

Gears 5 and dmc were worth it alone.

I'm hoping more games feature cross play so I can bounce between x and PC.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
It is really smart to have people locked into the ecosystem for the launch of Scarlett. It'll give people extra incentive to buy the system.

Said this in the dedicated "will you buy at launch" thread, but Game Pass could make Scarlett the first console I ever get on launch. Otherwise I'm "paying" for Halo Infinite with no way to play it.

(Sorry XB1S, you're a trusty friend but I don't consider you a valid way of playing Halo Infinite).

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I'm happy because as a longtime Gears fan, since before it was even released I played it at a gaming event here in Chicago with some of the creators of the original, I was a little worried due to the missteps in 4 that the Coalition may not be up to the task but after playing Gears 5, and beating the excellent campaign and jumping into MP, I know now I was worried for nothing.

It deserves all of this success and more and it's currently my GotY.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Said this in the dedicated "will you buy at launch" thread, but Game Pass could make Scarlett the first console I ever get on launch. Otherwise I'm "paying" for Halo Infinite with no way to play it.

(Sorry XB1S, you're a trusty friend but I don't consider you a valid way of playing Halo Infinite).
u have a pc?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You set your connection to a data metered connection? If not I suggest doing that
This has been my settings for a long while. I'm very picky about my data use since my ISP tend to be hawkish and charge a arm and leg for overuse, which made me buy my own monitoring equipment to make sure they weren't lying about how much I use.

7nMANZC.jpg

The Xbox Game Pass store was just a bit buggy. It took me a long time to cancel the download of Prey and it would not go away, then after spamming cancel and restarting the computer to try canceling it again, I eventually got it off of the list but maybe a update or something put it back on there in the background (I don't use it, and didn't play Ape Out, the test game). It's still beta so that isn't really a big deal to me, I'll just google search to find out how big a game download is if I am curious about trying something else. The system requirements are usually always the uncompressed files not the download so I don't tend to use those before downloading a game. The only time Game Pass show the download size if when I start a download from what I can tell.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Thats good news for gears.

The stars seem to be aligning for Halo Infinite. Cross gen launch with Xbox One/Scarlet, on PC/steam as well at launch (most likely), and of course Game Pass. It has the potential to absolutely blow up if 343 sticks the landing.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The thing that people also need to understand is that the incremental sales of Game Pass don't lead to much incremental cost (outside of server use). It's not like when you sell a product from a manufacturing line where there's limited margin with each sale because of the high variable cost.

The gamble of Game Pass is less risky than Netflix. Netflix had no safety net. If Xbox or PC gamers choose to skip Game Pass and buy traditional, Microsoft already profits with that model. If they convert to Game Pass, it helps Microsoft drive mindshare for consistent residual revenue.