• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Don't look up, PC gamers, because the sky is falling (again). Right on cue, a new report by Jon Peddie Research (JPR) notes that the "PC market continues to decline," and though gaming has traditionally bucked this trend, the research firm forecasts that as many as 20 million PC gamers could defect to "TV gaming platforms," otherwise known as game consoles, within the next three years.

Excuse me while I avoid pressing the panic button. Before I mash the escape key, though, I'd like to talk about the report. There are some interesting nuggets contained within it, such as the prediction that the bulk of those defectors will come from low-end builds—ones that cost less than a grand. Why? JPR points to improvements in TV displays and console semiconductors, and console exclusive games.

This will also affect the ranks of the mid-range and high-end PC gaming populations, just to a lesser degree, according to the report.

"The PC market continues to decline because the innovation that took place in the past providing speed ups and clever new things has all but stopped, plus the product introduction times are stretching out to four years. This is not a panic situation and the GPU market still generates incredible volume. However, there are forces at work that we predict will drive some of this business toward TV displays and associated gaming services," Jon Peddie said in a statement.

Of course, this analysis ignores the fact that a PC can be connected to a TV. It's why Steam has a Big Picture mode, and let's not forget that Nvidia and its hardware partners are embracing—and not running from—the living room with BFGDs (big format gaming displays).

More at the link
https://www.pcgamer.com/analyst-pre...ing-pcs-for-checks-notes-tv-gaming-platforms/

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
PC gaming has more to worry from a streaming future rather than consoles when it comes to growth. Still a few years away for that to happen. Not sure why consoles will pose a threat now if they have not the past 2 gens?

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I think it's safe to ignore PCgamer articles.

With that being said, as soon as all console games can be played at 60fps or above, I would also ditch PC gaming. I grow more and more tired of tinkering with PC games. Graphics on PS4/Xbone are at a "good enough" point for me, It's just the 30fps and a lot of times not even having a stable 30fps that kills console gaming for me.

Oct 17, 2018
Pffftt. Nice joke. Personally, for me, there are zero exclusives on console that interest me, especially now that Halo is coming to pc. Plus nothing beats being able to play 144fps on 1440p with any game.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I abandoned desktop PC for a laptop because it's portable. But id never abandon the platform completely for console. I need 60fps in everything and mods

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile I don't want to pay for an additional subscription fee (that the developer also gets zero dollars out of) just to play games I bought, so I'm switching to PC...

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
how US/UKcentric to think that trends in the west would even dent Pc gaming population worldwide

Oct 25, 2017
People are definitely going to catch feelings about this thread title lol.

That said, this would be surprising to me. If anything, I figured people were slowly switching from console to PC these days.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, assuming that the numbers are real, I myself am momentarily done with PC gaming because of having gotten no longer upgradable Alienware. I'll definitely be back when I graduate college though :)

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah I too can project the PC component sales curve three years into the future coming off one of the worst GPU generations to date and start doom saying. Or i could look at steam concurrent player data and say exactly the opposite. It's easy to cherry pick data to fit a narrative.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm kinda worried for the future of all traditional hardware tbh. Not really sure why Consoles are suddenly going to kill PC tho. They have always seemed like different markets to me, that don't really compete with one another (hence why MS releases games on both.

PC gaming has more to worry from a streaming future rather than consoles when it comes to growth. Still a few years away for that to happen. Not sure why consoles will pose a threat now if they have not the past 2 gens?
Why is streaming more of a threat to PC than Consoles? I feel like it would be the opposite, no?

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I'm kinda worried for the future of all traditional hardware tbh. Not really sure why Consoles are suddenly going to kill PC tho. They have always seemed like different markets to me, that don't really compete with one another (hence why MS releases games on both.

Why is streaming more of a threat to PC than Consoles? I feel like it would be the opposite, no?

Yeah it is a threat to consoles as well as Gaming PC's.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all cyclical and transitory. On minute PC is doomed, another, consoles are doomed. Fully expect to see some analysts talk gloom about consoles at some point in this transition period where consoles go on decline as a new generation approaches.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
My pc just broke down this week and I'm not really sure if I even want to spend the time and money to build a new one anymore. Pc's are just too much of a hassle for me and not really worth it anymore. As much as they are ahead when it comes to tech, convenience wise they are like an ancient relic.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Exactly but it doesn't fit their narrative so...

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
This is an audience move prediction. Not absolute terms.
So 20m people going from PC to console over the next 3 yeas, while 50m new PC gamer will emerge or something.
It's not like PC gaming will loose 20m of its total audience. Because that would make no sense.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

This I wonder about. Streaming is definitely going to be impacting PC's and consoles but I still believe that it won't hit mid-end/high-end PC gaming that much.

Mostly because streaming is all about convenience, and while PC gaming has definitely become more convenient than in the past, people still sacrifice plug and play for power and freedom, two things that streaming won't offer as much.

Low-end though? Yeah I can see streaming taking over in that regard.

The video game industry is going to look very interesting in 20 years.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Lmao, they want $8000 for the actual market paper and don't really even cover what kind of actual data and models they used in the abstract.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to pay that junk fee every year, and I like cheaper game prices.

PC has proven very resilient, and consoles lack a lot of genres.

I wonder if the future is going to be portable for consoles - the Switch seems like it filled a niche very well, and I think we're heading to the point where power isn't really helping that much, and running into the bounds of income inequality.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Seems doubtful. On the contrary, some console gamers could move to PC because of Play anywhere and Game pass.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's... kinda what I did two years ago already. The time of insane Steam sales has been over for a long time, I'm sick of waiting for the perfect 200$ GPU to replace mine, and japanese exclusives are already on consoles. The Total warhammer games are the only games I'm still playing on my PC.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has done a ton of gaming on PC over the last decade and has also enjoyed consoles quite a bit, I honestly don't see why anyone who has taken a serious stab at PC gaming would completely abandon it.

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I too can project the PC component sales curve three years into the future coming off one of the worst GPU generations to date and start doom saying. Or i could look at steam concurrent player data and say exactly the opposite. It's easy to cherry pick data to fit a narrative.
To be fair the article mainly says it will be users at the low end of hardware specs which there are a lot of as you can just see on steam hardware survey. A lot of that stuff won't cut it once next gen hits unless you upgrade.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I love my PC, but one thing I will say is a lot of people viewed the PC as cheaper in the long run with cheaper games, but that price advantage has diminished with console manufacturers aggressively discounting and pc discounts seemingly getting worse.

Still, PC is the perfect backwards compatible system do I will not abandon it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When they say the PC market continues to decline, what data or numbers are they specifically referring to? Do we have figures highlighting this decline?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
And I will not be one of them.

I always feel constrained when on consoles, and because I grew up with Windows 95 and installing sound drivers via floppy disk, I'm used to some tinkering -- that is already heavily reduced -- and I actually quite like it.

Also. best backwards compatibility.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Analysts have been saying since the early 00 that PC gaming is going to die in the next few years and yet pc gaming is bigger than ever before and continues to grow.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair the article mainly says it will be users at the low end of hardware specs which there are a lot of as you can just see on steam hardware survey. A lot of that stuff won't cut it once next gen hits unless you upgrade.

Except for the fact that many low end are not in the US or EU, and buying a dedicated game console to replace what they have now is an expensive endeavor.

The Pc market and console market are concentrated in very different areas.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
When they say the PC market continues to decline, what data or numbers are they specifically referring to? Do we have figures highlighting this decline?

Nope the opposite actually, i play on PC's since 1991 and this is, at least the 20th time, an analyst predicts the doom of PC gaming....

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
What a silly take. I'd be willing to bet that even PC gamers who play on consoles also(i.e. me) don't just arbitrarily give up on one form of gaming. None of this makes much sense since consoles will never have what makes PC gaming attractive to most people to begin with.

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
Except for the fact that many low end are not in the US or EU, and buying a dedicated game console to replace what they have now is an expensive endeavor.

The Pc market and console market are concentrated in very different areas.
For sure. That steam hardware survey data sure is interesting though. Can't believe 2nd most popular resolution is 1366x768 lol...that's wild.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like this gen has been one of the least appealing from microsoft and sony in regards to actually justifying having a reason for their game box. more and more of the bad side of pc gaming's yesteryears with little of the benefits to make it worthwhile. i don't know why people would want to start leaving pc gaming now when the power-oriented consoles are doing a worse and worse at having a compelling draw.

I think it's safe to ignore PCgamer articles.
why?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nah. PC gaming is eternal.

The report talks about tv displays yet as the article says forgets that computers connect to TVs.