• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't look like that when you again put it on the worldwide scale.

Xbox never does bad in its 2 main markets but these numbers again show they basically have nothing to fall back on outside of them.
Sony is 50+ Million ahead while only being slightly ahead in the US showing how insanely strong the grip and mindshare everywhere else is in the favor for Playstation.
The same market that pushed the PS3 above the 360 in the end even after how that Gen started out for Playstation.

The 1X or anything else that Phil did had never any impact on the European Market showing its uninteresting for the market they still can't figure out.

Will be interesting to see what and if they have something planned or simply give up on it and try to get their playerbase in the USA back which helped them a lot last Gen.

It was reported that the X was a massive success for them. I belive it even sold more than the Pro in 2018.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to discuss the digital share thing without more clarity on what Zhuge meant. Like was that US only(presumably)? Also, is he comparing digital shares on the same titles, or talking about the overall digital to physical purchase ratio on each platform.

Last edited:

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Link? Last officially reported numbers are 82 million for PS3, 85 million for Xbox 360.
hardware1oakf.png

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think these numbers are positive at all. Things like the launch of the XB1S, XB1X, backwards compat and insane deals (at least here in Australia) and the gap with PS4 has only grown?

It really does show how vital the first couple of years are, but there's also one thing Microsoft have been lagging in for a few years: big games. It's been long enough with Phil Spencer in charge that we really should have seen more compelling software launch already. I can understand if they are just putting all of their eggs in the next gen basket at this stage though.

Bingo. All eyes are on Next Gen.

Oct 25, 2017
So, about ~50M LTD? They have something to salvage for next gen. They just have to capitalize.

The digital ratio definitely makes sense considering how much work MS has put into that portion of their market. The bulk of Xbox users are also "core" Xbox folk.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
They should easily hit 50 million. They only need 9 million
2019 - 5 million
2020 - 3.5 million
Thats 49.5 million right there, another 500k will be easy.
I don't think PS4 will hit 120 million too.
Both consoles will tank in 2020.

This year I think Xbox one will sell 4.5 million and PS4 14 million.

With much lucky PS4 can hit 120 million but it will not be easy too.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I would be curious to know what internal expectations were once they allowed first party games to be Windows 10 games too though. That is a move that would suggest a lower expectation on hardware sales. Like even if the next xbox is better in every regard to the competition I would expect it to sell less if they make everything available for PC. But I assume that is fine if they sell more software/subscriptions?

At that point Xbox One was already in a very rough state (it got better since then so i'd say that move didn't hurt hardware sales much), but the original goal was to sell 200 mln units, probably because Don Mattrick thought cloud gaming was going to be a thing this gen already

https://windowsreport.com/xbox-one-sales-target/

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
That's pretty good. I think MS have changed in direction overall where it's all about services, retention of players that I'm not really surprised it has a far higher digital ratio. MS have done a great job at focusing on hardcore players and despite being a smaller audience, they're much more active overall. Just heading into next generation for example, Xbox players can feel so much more confident of their digital purchases carrying forward to next generation due to backwards compatibility which can't really be said for competition. Gamepass is also excellent, some of their games are online focused which helps increase the ratio.

Dec 9, 2017
40M sold PR for 360 went out on April 23rd 2010

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/worldwide-xbox-360-sales-hit-40m

Calculating the days between dates going from 360 launch to 4/23/2010, is 1613 days

We don't have an exact date for when XB1 hit 40M but going from launch to today is 1889 days. So a gulf of 276 days. So ball park about 9 months slower in sales than the 360.

Not bad all things considered. Obviously the kinect won't be coming to give them a 20 million shot in the arm this time around but that's a good thing if you ask me.

Last edited:

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
That's definitely one of the reasons. Here in Europe, retail games are significantly cheaper than digital games.
Where exactly in Europe? Since here is the same price digitally and physically. If you don't catch some deal, but that really does not happened until few months after release.

EDIT: Ohh, Belgium, sorry about not looking first.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It's really weird.. but I'm pretty much all digital (got 3 retail games) with my Xbox.. though that's most definately thanks to Gamepass. So while buying in to their echosystem via gamepass I havnt actually bought something from their store. With that said, gamepass is an amazing service and if it's still around in present form during next gen.. I could see myself get on the Xbox system farely early (depending the games ofc)

Is this the first number of sales we've seen for Xbox in quite some time?

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
41 million is low. Even sony completly fucking up with the ps3 did better. Unless sony really screw up i expect another 2:1 sales gap or close to it next gen.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
No.

Predictions in 2017 were that Xbox One would end up around 35.

2017 comes and everything points to Xbox One indeed hit or at least close to that.

Now we have over 40M

Xbox One only sells 7-9M units a year.
Yeah, it was. By Xbox France. And it was false. Maybe some of you remember from other forum :

https://www./threads/about-the-allegedly-sales-coming-from-xbox-france.1393548/
I see, thank you!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
That feels really low, specially since everyone now keeps saying the X is doing so great. Maybe in the US then.

Al these numbers do is make me want specific breakdowns now.
Wow...That's really low. I think the Switch will overtake it next year if it sells like it did in 2018 again.

Yeah, some of us have been saying this might be the biggest news of this generation. The Switch might pass it in sales before the next gen Xbox launches.
Wait wasn't it rumored for like 2-3 years that Xbox One was at 35m?

It seems like it, lol

This now makes me think the lower numbers the past few years from folks in the know were more accurate than some believed.

They have done so much to turn the brand around, they have a good blueprint for next gen. And like many have said, the goal has to be the rest of the world. Japan alone will be a huuuge hurdle for them.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So when PS4 was around 40 million users, was it at a similar digital ratio as Xbox is now?
No, because digital buying in general has grown since then.

If you were to take the digital ratio of just the first 41 million PS4 owners today, it would be closer to the Xbox ratio (though I think Xbox would still be higher).

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Well yeah, I haven't purchased a physical game since what....COD Black Ops One? Once Microsoft went digital I never looked back. Who wants to go to the store? Have empty boxes somewhere.

If I had a physical box for every Xbox and PS4 game I purchased digitally they would be taking up space in my place. There is no reason to have all that useless plastic in my house.

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad and very good news about digital.
They will keep all those ~50m users in their ecosystem next gen but the main question is how much,if any,PS converts can they get when next gen starts...?
If PS5 has full BC with PS4,as we expect,it will be very,very hard.

Those aren't 50 million unique users. Lots of double and some triple dips.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit is that number low, even the failure PS3 did way more than that. Edit doesn't that mean a huge chunk of console gamers just vanished this gen? from 80, 80, 100 million to 90, 40, cant remember switch numbers, millions.
PS3 and Xbox One had different starting points. PS2 reached 150 million while Xbox 360 sold 85 million units. Both PS3 and XBO were disappointments, though.

We'll have to wait till the end of the generation before we can judge how much the market has shrunk or grown. I don't think the PS4/Switch/XBO/WiiU combo will be that far off from the 7th gen numbers tbh. It's the dedicated handheld market that has been affected the most.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't mind me asking, what are the reasons why you decided to go all digital on Xbox but not other platforms?
If i had a choice I will almost always choose physical over digital simply because I like the collecting part of it, During the time Ive had my Switch and PS4 i've had GCU so Physical carts were always cheaper as well. Switch's limited storage capacity also helped that decision in that regard. In terms of my PS4 I use it mainly for single player games so the need to constantly swap games isn't that apparent since I like to play one game at a time when it comes to these massive single player experiences.

For my Xbox I got it as a gift after my GCU expired so I havent had any impulse buys in terms of physical games, also its mostly a multiplayer machine for me since thats where most of my friends are on so hot swapping between Fortnite, Black Ops, and Rainbow Six has been extremely convenient. Also in general Xbox's digital ecosystem is leagues ahead of the competition, GamePass alone makes all digital on the system an easy choice.

tldr:
- I like collecting physical
- Switch Storage space is an issue
- PS4 mostly for single player games
- XBox hot swapping between multiplayer games with friends/better digital ecosystem.

Edit: I would like to add that I have several digital games on my Switch and PS4 but about 90% of it is physical, only Xbox is fully digital at this point in time.

Last edited:

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between Switch and XB1 are less than 7m atm.

Even if 2019 is flat for both Switch and XB1(which it wont, since Switch will have growth, and XB1 will decline due to the incoming next gen) the gap would be closed by december 2019.

It should be 10-11m. Switch was on 22.86m in September. Their holiday sales figures should have them at just over 30m.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
40M sold PR for 360 went out on April 23rd 2010

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/worldwide-xbox-360-sales-hit-40m

Calculating the days between dates going from 360 launch to 4/23/2010, is 1613 days

We don't have an exact date for when XB1 hit 40M but going from launch to today is 1889 days. So a gull of 276 days. So ball park about 9 months slower in sales than the 360.

Not bad all things considered. Obviously the kinect won't be coming to give them a 20 million shot in the arm this time around but that's a good thing if you ask me.
When Kinect launched? They had 40 millions in 2010 and ended 2013 with 85 millions.

=O

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised by the digital software ratio. I think I see my brother buying games and DLC on his XBO every other week because they have so many deals.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised that digital ratio is high on Xbox One. PS4 has attracted casuals across entire world, and they purchase less games. Plus, MS is throwing money on sales all the time.

That brings the PS4 digital ratio down.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would seem to me that one the biggest blows to Xbox is that all the gains they made in Europe from Xbox to 360 were diminished significantly going from 360 to XB1.

Add to that, they didn't have a gimmick like the Kinect to give it a second wind.

MS has to go conventional next gen: a great at a compelling price point with consistent exclusive and diverse content.

SP has to be a major focus if they want to gain in Europe, from what I understand.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
sheesh, I had thought it was around 50m. It's not even going to touch 3ds at this rate.
the eff happened.

The digital news, and effect of gamepass is great tho

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I buy all xbox games digital as I know they will be backwards compatible, whereas all ps4 games are disk apart from I think 3 or 4.

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
PS3 isn't really considered a failure though outside of it's first couple years. The Xbox One is still much more successful than the OG Xbox aswell.

I think people will be surprised when they realize what consoles the Xbox One has already outsold...

N64
GameCube
OG Xbox
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Master System

The Xbox One has a real shot to pass the Super Nintendo... which would mean the Xbox One will of sold better than every Sega console ever released, and only less than two Nintendo consoles (NES/Wii).

It's not as big of a failure as people make the Xbox One out to be.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Also this shows how much the ROTW outside the US matters.

The PS4, Switch, and Xbone were all basically neck-and-neck throughout 2018 in the US (relatively), but both the PS4 and the Switch are both close to selling 20 million while the Xbox is only at about 6 mil within the same timeframe. I expect Microsoft to be more aggressive outside the US going into next gen. They absolutely need to.

Because 45m was the number that most people agreed for MS last year. Around 50m by now, seemed possible to me even with the XBO slow growth. It seems that number was overly positive?

Zhuge told us the Xbox was at 36 million this time last year. Not sure where that 45m number came from.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
If i had a choice I will almost always choose physical over digital simply because I like the collecting part of it, During the time Ive had my Switch and PS4 i've had GCU so Physical carts were always cheaper as well. Switch's limited storage capacity also helped that decision in that regard. In terms of my PS4 I use it mainly for single player games so the need to constantly swap games isn't that apparent since I like to play one game at a time when it comes to these massive single player experiences.

For my Xbox I got it as a gift after my GCU expired so I havent had any impulse buys in terms of physical games, also its mostly a multiplayer machine for me since thats where most of my friends are on so hot swapping between Fortnite, Black Ops, and Rainbow Six has been extremely convenient. Also in general Xbox's digital ecosystem is leagues ahead of the competition, GamePass alone makes all digital on the system an easy choice.

tldr:
- I like collecting physical
- Switch Storage space is an issue
- PS4 mostly for single player games
- XBox hot swapping between multiplayer games with friends/better digital ecosystem.

Edit: I would like to add that I have several digital games on my Switch and PS4 but about 90% of it is physical, only Xbox is fully digital at this point in time.
Thanks for the reply! ^^

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just to clarify, the first part of the statement in the OP is talking about US sales data.

It is though. They said in December that Xbox had just crossed 40 million. We know they sold 1 million in December so hence 41 million like xhuge just told us

That site has 43.2m as of December 29th though? So you're clearly misattributing the number. You can check for yourself. It's on the front page.
Chartz isn't quoted here because the data is unreliable.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So by knowing the software sales ratio are always leaning towards PS4, do third parties care that much considering Xbox is pulling in a lot of digital sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.