• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They weren't conservative with the Wii U sales.

It looks like Nintendo needs to learn to sell during the other quarters.
They tried too. Labo was a big part of their plan to grow the Switch's audience that ended up not working out. I heard this same argument last year. "Nintendo has nothing between Zelda and Mario no one cares about a port like Mario Kart and Splatoon." Difference is last year worked out way better for them then this year in that regard.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
There are people claiming it's not selling well? What? Or are this analyst's assertions misguided?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Personally I don't find it healthy to compare Switch to PS4 at all. It launched $100 less than PS4 did. It's portable and a lot less power than PS4 too, so it excels at a different subset of games. Probably the closest comparable thing to Switch is Vita, then 3DS. All these are portable and launched around $300. Switch is doing way better than Vita/3DS. If you're a gamer it's your indie/portable/nintendo machine. But PS4 comparisons create unrealistic expectations for ports of AAA box console games to Switch which in turn cause constant problems and debates on power. Its the media that loves these comparisons because it's console warmongering clickbait.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
We live in a world where Apple earns $20 BILLIONS profits for 1 quarter and it's considered disappointing
(just to give an order of magnitude, the highest profit Sony made is $4.43B in 1 year)

Nothing surprises me anymore

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Personally I don't find it healthy to compare Switch to PS4 at all. It launched $100 less than PS4 did. It's portable and a lot less power than PS4 too, so it excels at a different subset of games. Probably the closest comparable thing to Switch is Vita, then 3DS. All these are portable and launched around $300. Switch is doing way better than Vita/3DS. If you're a gamer it's your indie/portable/nintendo machine. But PS4 comparisons create unrealistic expectations for ports of AAA box console games to Switch which in turn cause constant problems and debates on power. Its the media that loves these comparisons because it's console warmongering clickbait.

Reasonable stance. Unfortunately, people are fueled by these comparisons, as they date back as far as 1995/6 (between Nintendo and Sony)? No matter how different the market, they will always be compared. I agree with you that it's pretty pointless at this point. I feel Nintendo and Sony, and soon Microsoft, have their own unique market now. It will only be more difficult to compare them going forward.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
We live in a world where Apple earns $20 BILLIONS profits for 1 quarter and it's considered disappointing
(just to give an order of magnitude, the highest profit Sony made is $4.43B in 1 year)

Nothing surprises me anymore

It is disappointing because sales of Apple products are slowing down all together. That is not the case with Nintendo and investors need to know it.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's only one analyst. I saw quite a few articles last week talking about sales slowing causing investors to be unhappy.

I guess "sales slowing" and "not selling well" aren't quite the same thing, but even so "sales slowing" isn't true either.
It's important to keep in mind that investors/companies/analysts are always chiming in about what a company should be doing better and selling more. Just look at Apple and all the discussion around them.

Investors did get a little too excited on Nintendo and I think expectations are just coming down a little.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess this year Nintendo's sales solely lies on Pokémon 2019 and I'm also guessing Nintendo hopes people flock to it like they did for Let's Go.

Feb 2, 2019
No, they're usually way too conservative with their forecasts, which is why this one stood out.

I think Nintendo thought they were conservative with 20m. Maybe they intended selling much more than that ? Probably thought the Labo bubble was a real thing. Reality caught up, Labo wasn't the hit they expected and then, their conservative estimate became a meme estimation. Seems like a possible scenario to me.

It's outselling it launched aligned, though they are going to go back and forth due to when they launched.

Sure they could do better in Europe, but PS4 could do better in Japan, is that really and indictment for either console when they are on the paces they are?

Japan is a small country, Europe is huge. Big difference.

Launch aligned doesn't matter that much, it's holding big numbers for years and years that matter and that's exactly why PS4 sales are impressive in 2018.

Feb 2, 2019
I guess this year Nintendo's sales solely lies on Pokémon 2019 and I'm also guessing Nintendo hopes people flock to it like they did for Let's Go.

You're forgetting Animal Crossing. Easily an easy 10m seller that will push hardware sales. That's a big hitter no doubt.

I can see a Nintendo Kart happening too. I think that's one the big surprise they have for 2019.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Launch aligned doesn't matter that much, it's holding big numbers for years and years that matter and that's exactly why PS4 sales are impressive in 2018.
Japan is one of the top three markets for video game sales. Nintendo performs extremely strongly in two of the top three European markets as well.
Switch sales are doing well. The idea that it only sells in some regions, or at some points of the year, like Xbox, is inaccurate and a misrepresentation.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to keep in mind that investors/companies/analysts are always chiming in about what a company should be doing better and selling more. Just look at Apple and all the discussion around them.

Investors did get a little too excited on Nintendo and I think expectations are just coming down a little.

Yeah I can definitely see that being the majority of the movement over the past week. But part of it is probably due to Nintendo not really reassuring anyone about their 2019 plans.

Ideally that will change soon once they reveal some plans (like maybe the price of the rumored revision).

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious as to why they even put out the 20m forecast to begin with. Even if you think you can do 20m, forecast 18m and overdeliver. Forecasting a number you know will be difficult to hit just to show confidence doesn't make long term business sense.

I think Nintendo actually tried to do this. I guess they thought hitting 20m would be easy, and then they would overdeliver on top of that. But something went wrong. Maybe it was Labo, maybe it was the delayed games, but they probably thought they could hit that 20m initially.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo actually tried to do this. I guess they thought hitting 20m would be easy, and then they would overdeliver on top of that. But something went wrong. Maybe it was Labo, maybe it was the delayed games, but they probably thought they could hit that 20m initially.
I'm assuming it was Labo

Feb 2, 2019
Japan is one of the top three markets for video game sales. Nintendo performs extremely strongly in two of the top three European markets as well.
Switch sales are doing well. The idea that it only sells in some regions, or at some points of the year, like Xbox, is inaccurate and a misrepresentation.

I never said that Switch sales weren't doing well, you're putting words into people mouth. Dominating the EU is still much more imporant than a single country like Japan, especially when hardware sales are declining in Japan for a while now. Japan is less and less relevant for hardware and the Switch failed to end the decline. PS4 sold meh, Xbox doesn't exist in Japan and the Switch isn't selling as much as the 3DS, in Japan, launch aligned. At this point of the year, the 3DS sold ~2m more units than the Switch is doing right now.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone just ignoring Software sales then?

You're forgetting Animal Crossing. Easily an easy 10m seller that will push hardware sales. That's a big hitter no doubt.

I can see a Nintendo Kart happening too. I think that's one the big surprise they have for 2019.

Nintendo Kart would be incredibly weird given how well MK8D is selling.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it slowing for a while now ? It has legs, but nothing what a new "Kart" game could do.

I thought it was outpacing MK Wii?

I don't see a new Kart game happening in a winter that could quite possibly have a Pokemon, a Mario and a Starfox with heavy promotion.

Though I'll save my expectations for after the Direct.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The narrative of Switch not doing so well must also be perpetuated by how tight lipped they have been. Having such a dry Q1 and their biggest communication has been negative news about MP4 isn't going to help their perception right now.

Where is the Nintendo Direct?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Oh now I understand why there is a thread about the switch good sales almost every week. Because some people think otherwise. Well it has a sense.
I'm joking.

Feb 2, 2019
It sold more in 2018 than it did in 2017 which is when it launched. It's basically keeping pace with MKWii which went on to sell 38M I believe.

Amazing then. That's what I call an evergreen.

you never disappoint 🙃

He isn't wrong though. I assumed Switch would do much stronger with Pokemon 3D and Smash in the same year and it seems Nintendo also thought so. Switch didn't and if Nintendo is spot-on on their forecast, they might sell less Switch this than the last one (17.5m vs 17m).

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He isn't wrong though. I assumed Switch would do much stronger with Pokemon 3D and Smash in the same year and it seems Nintendo also thought so. Switch didn't and if Nintendo is spot-on on their forecast, they might sell less Switch this than the last one (17.5m vs 17m).
Switch sales last FY were 15 million, they will be YoY up over it no matter what.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry, analysts and investors. Switch Lite Mini alongside Pocoremon or Animal Crossing is gonna send sales into the stratosphere.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

dude, animal crossing.
I didn't know Animal Crossing was that big of a franchise, does this mean Nintendo will have another good quarter and a dry 9 months or will Animal Cross release around E3 time?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

His argument that Switch could do better in Europe is kind of irrelevant. That can be said for any console in any region. I used PS4 in Japan as an example because he compared Switch to PS4 to try to prove it wasn't selling well. Someone could make that same argument with PS4 and Japan and it would also be false when talking about worldwide sales.

They are both doing good and regardless of the sales target it is selling at an incredible rate, as is the PS4. Of course it will have to hold numbers for years to continue selling alongside the PS4 launch aligned, but there is no reason to hold that against it when all the data we have currently shows it doing that with no signs of slowing down.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii sold faster than PS4 initially and now it fell behind. The question for Nintendo will be able to maintain the level of consistency. No matter what the switch is successful

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is closer in power and capability to the other consoles than the Wii was. That shouldn't matter.

It's games also sell at $60 just like the other home consoles. The comparison to the PS4 is fine. They are also sharing more and more of the same games, especially in Japan.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know Animal Crossing was that big of a franchise, does this mean Nintendo will have another good quarter and a dry 9 months or will Animal Cross release around E3 time?

They have Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Luigi Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Ultimate Alliance 3, Yoshi, Town, etc... plus a couple unannounced titles according to quotes from the investors meeting. They should have a better 2019 lineup in comparison to 2018 IMO, making it easier to have better sales in the first 2 quarters.

Why are u doing damage control for Nintendo? It failed to meet expectations, PERIODT.

Nobody is denying it failed to meet Nintendo's expectations. That also doesn't mean it's selling poorly or losing momentum, which is what this analyst is pointing out due to all the attention missing the target is bringing.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Don't know anything about selling consoles but I do know forecasting is hard.. unlike the dunning krugerites all over the internet.

Maybe they believed their pr about multiple switches per household?
Still seems a sound strategy to my ignorant ass.. price drop on the rumoured new model could be the tip for that to become a thing.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How many people predicted over 30 mil less than two years on the market?

Props to those people but there certainly wasn't many.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Switch is closer in power and capability to the other consoles than the Wii was. That shouldn't matter.

It's games also sell at $60 just like the other home consoles. The comparison to the PS4 is fine. They are also sharing more and more of the same games, especially in Japan.
$60 is kinda arbitrary. Part of the reason Nintendo has to charge that is card printing prices. As for games, the big 3rd party games of the last few months are Kingdom Hearts 3, RDR2, RE2R, Anthem. We're past the point where publishers could say 'we didn't know about switch in time'. No, it still feels like Nintendo is on an island of Indies and their own stuff. What Japanese games are you talking about? Also it's been reported that many pubs have started next gen projects. Do you really think EA, Capcom, Ubi, SE, Bethesda, Rockstar are going to release a big budget multiplatform game that includes Switch?

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
For all we know they had another Q4 game lined up but it was delayed without our knowing. They certainly picked 20 (double the prior years goal) for a reason. But then again, a whole year is a long time to play out. Who knows? Either way it's still selling tremendously well. Here's to a great 2019.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Considering that the Switch is setting records for console sales, I'm not sure people who think it isn't selling well matter much.