• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Last number we have is Switch = 8.7M lifetime as of the end of November 2018, up from 4.8M by December 31st 2017.The three month after that were about 800k, so March 31st 2018 was approximately 5.6M, with the fiscal year being 5.6M - 900k = 4.7M, and the period from April 1st 2017 through December 31st 2017 is 4.8M - 900k = 3.9M. Current sales for the fiscal year is 8.7M - 5.6M = 3.1M as of the end of November 2018. Adding a 2.5M December to it would make the US have a 5.6M units sold between April 1st 2018 through December 31st 2018. That would mean that Switch is up for the first 9 months of the year by (5.6M-3.9M)/3.9M*100% = 43.6% up YoY. Adding a 2.25M December would give a 5.35M units sold between April 1st 2018 and December 31st 2018, meaning that the Switch would be (5.35M-3.9M)/3.9M*100% = 37.2% up YoY. The target for worldwide is to be 33% up YoY, so that would put the US well ahead of its personal goal. Furthermore, the 43.6% up number could go a long way to help other regions that might not be up 33% YoY. And lastly, these numbers are sold-through, not shipped. Shipments would naturally be larger since stock, while fully available, was not as present as it would be when there are no stock issues worldwide anymore.

You're right about shipments, of course: Switch remained sold out throughout 2017, and a couple of weeks into 2018, so shipments are approximately equal to sell-through. This year, that's not the case, so shipments will be noticeably larger simply due to the fact that supply isn't constrained anymore. That alone makes the situation for Japan (and worldwide in general, although the difference will be less pronounced because Europe and US didn't have stock issues anymore by the end of the year - but there will still be a difference I think, as I explained in the first part of this post) a lot better, and makes this shipment target of 20M very doable.

Yeah so it's looking like the US will definitely be able to pick up some of the slack from Japan in terms of Q3. Unfortunately we really have very little info on the rest of the world so it's certainly not conclusive but it doing this well in the US for Q3 would seemingly be a pretty good sign that it did well in other Western markets.

And I think I did the math on this in another thread (can't remember which at the moment) but in Q2 for Japan shipments were about 5% higher relative to sell through than last year, so while it may not make an enormous difference it will still be one.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Smash released 1.5 months later than SMO did the year before, and furthermore is a much bigger system seller, so the influence of the game on Q1 should be way bigger than SMO's, meaning that the expectation should be that Q1 will be well up YoY. The lack of further system selling releases makes 50% up iffy (although NSMBUDX is better than anything released last year for hardware momentum I think), though, I will agree with that. 40% up should definitely be doable imo, though.

If I recall correctly it was selling around 45k a week in Q1 2018 so it needs to sell around 63k for the next few weeks.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If I recall correctly it was selling around 45k a week in Q1 2018 so it needs to sell around 63k for the next few weeks.
Yeah, I would say that's the level that Switch could hit. Switch was a bit below 45k on average, but with the bump from Kirby (to 55k), I think using 45k average is fair for Q1 2018. So yeah, Switch should do 63k on average every week during this quarter, which I think is challenging but should be possible (easier to achieve that the required 70k-ish for a 50%+ bump).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm mostly joking, but holding a Zelda title for the launch of the Wii and Switch has worked out pretty well. Obviously not the only reason those consoles have done well.
I would argue that releasing your new console alongside a massive triple A game is not so much of a choice as it is an indicator of the broader state of the production pipeline of the company.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Yeah so it's looking like the US will definitely be able to pick up some of the slack from Japan in terms of Q3. Unfortunately we really have very little info on the rest of the world so it's certainly not conclusive but it doing this well in the US for Q3 would seemingly be a pretty good sign that it did well in other Western markets.

And I think I did the math on this in another thread (can't remember which at the moment) but in Q2 for Japan shipments were about 5% higher relative to sell through than last year, so while it may not make an enormous difference it will still be one.
I think france and uk are 20% up compared to 2017? Portugal is 50% up but is a way smaller market.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I would argue that releasing your new console alongside a massive triple A game is not so much of a choice as it is an indicator of the broader state of the production pipeline of the company.

After Twilight Princess and BOTW successfully launching Wii and Switch respectively, I feel like Nintendo will be locked in launching with a Zelda.

It works, grabs the hardcore customers right away. With Wii they failed to follow through and that audience moved on and it's an anecdote you hear a lot of about with early hardcore adoption then disenfranchisement later when all Nintendo released were casual titles. Switch was better planned with big meaty experiences releasing following Zelda like Skyrim SE, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath, Dark Souls Remastered. Even budget releases like the upcoming Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen should tap into the same BOTW audience.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, I would say that's the level that Switch could hit. Switch was a bit below 45k on average, but with the bump from Kirby (to 55k), I think using 45k average is fair for Q1 2018. So yeah, Switch should do 63k on average every week during this quarter, which I think is challenging but should be possible (easier to achieve that the required 70k-ish for a 50%+ bump).

I'll be following media create closely these next few weeks but it would be great if it hit those numbers!

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
Nintendo Rebounds as Optimistic Signs Emerge After a Brutal Year (Bloomberg)
...analysts have settled on an estimate for about 18 million Switch shipments for the fiscal year that ends in March

Yuji Nakamura continues to double down with his previous article that Nintendo isn't going to ship 20m. Although he indicates that stock prices probably already reflect that version of reality, so if Nintendo where to 'exceed investor expectations' with 20m+, that should fair very well for stockholders on Feb 1st.

Let's say we optimistically pick 11m units sold last quarter, for a total sell-through of 33.7m by the end of Dec 31, 2018. If they sell-through an extra 25% YoY this quarter ( ~3650K ) and ship an additional 15% on top of that worldwide, they get their 20m+ shipment goal, right? Is that realistic for this quarter? Not concern trolling, I just don't know if I got the maths and historical trends on point.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Yuji Nakamura continues to double down with his previous article that Nintendo isn't going to ship 20m. Although he indicates that stock prices probably already reflect that version of reality, so if Nintendo where to 'exceed investor expectations' with 20m+, that should fair very well for stockholders on Feb 1st.

Let's say we optimistically pick 11m units sold last quarter, for a total sell-through of 33.7m by the end of Dec 31, 2018. If they sell-through an extra 25% YoY this quarter ( ~3650K ) and ship an additional 15% on top of that worldwide, they get their 20m+ shipment goal, right? Is that realistic for this quarter? Not concern trolling, I just don't know if I got the maths and historical trends on point.

One of the analysts he surveyed to get his 8.7M Q3 shipment estimate gave him a number less than what Nintendo shipped last year for Q1 (below 7 million). Another hack article.

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
One of the analysts he surveyed to get his 8.7M Q3 shipment estimate gave him a number less than what Nintendo shipped last year for Q1 (below 7 million). Another hack article.
Does he provide a breakdown of what each analyst surveyed answered? All I can find is the aggregate number.

Edit: I see the tweet - that's very silly

Last edited:

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Guess he has to acknowledge Smash and Pokemon now. I thought Nintendo didn't have holiday titles?

Why do we even give this hack clicks? He just writes bullshit like "Brutal year" to get views and lower the stock price.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, he is basically trolling at this point.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I like how one of the "missteps" he uses is sourced from himself, with an article that starts with "no attractive holiday title on switch".

The "average prediction" being 8-9m for Q3, when insiders and math have been pointing to 10-11m should mean the 18m prediction becomes a 20m actual shippment.

Also kinda wrong conclusion with the Switches audience imo.
They say Switch sold its current HW to kids and Adult Nintendo fans, when the relatively high pricepoint of Switch would show an older demograpihc, and that they can grow HW shipments by reducing price of entry(just in time for Pokemon Gen 8 and Animal Crossing).

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
The "average prediction" being 8-9m for Q3, when insiders and math have been pointing to 10-11m should mean the 18m prediction becomes a 20m actual shippment.

I missed:
"Switch hardware sales during the [Q3] quarter — are seen climbing from a year earlier to 8.7 million units".

Yeah, so okay. If their aggregate is 18 million shipped by end of March is based on their projection of 8.7 million in sales for Q3, and that's 2.3 million less than the optimistic high of 11 million... we can take their 18 figure and add 2.3 and look at that, 20m+.

So I guess 3650K sold-through WW for Q4 (plus additional shipping) doesn't seem to far off?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

Now instead of full doom he just go passive aggresive, trash article overall, sometimes you wonder if this people really are so oblivious, have a bone with the company, or have second interests linked to manipulate investors perception.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
Now instead of full doom he just go passive aggresive, trash article overall, sometimes you wonder if this people really are so oblivious, have a bone with the company, or have second interests linked to manipulate investors perception.

I've honestly thought this about Pachter (and it wouldn't surprise if it were true). The guy has been wrong so many times especially about Nintendo and yet people still pay attention to his "analysis".