• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Thread posted on behalf of Metallix87

I've always considered the story of the Wii one of the most interesting that the games industry has ever produced. Nintendo, having hit a bad spot with the Gamecube's lackluster sales performance, decided to go in a radical new direction with the Nintendo DS and the Wii. The former had a lot of scrutiny early on, especially with the impending release of the PSP, but the Wii was seemingly a super sales hit from the start. Of course, as we now know, things took a turn for the worse later on, with the system seemingly stagnating in a sea of shovelware, and dying early, with little in the way of a successor in sight. When the Wii U finally was unveiled and released, the reception was decidedly lukewarm, as Nintendo failed to prove the value of the new controller, and in fact had caused some confusion with both the system's name and the way it was unveiled. Was the Wii U a successor, or simply a new controller for the outdated Wii? Nintendo managed to botch things so badly that the Wii U would be an abject failure by almost every measurement.

This is the story as we know it, but what I want to discuss in this thread is the way in which Nintendo and third parties had both bungled the potential of the Wii, as well as the concept of the Wii HD, a successor console that people like Michael Pachter and others used to discuss prior to the unveiling of the Wii U.

I always felt that third parties completely read the market wrong with regards to Wii, and a lot of money was left on the table by them as a result. Despite major sales successes like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Red Steel, and Resident Evil 4 on the platform, third parties constantly focused on the marquee software for the system, namely Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, and, to a lesser extent, Wii Party, when trying to figure out the Wii player base. This is not completely their fault, as Nintendo should've been more proactive in recruiting third parties to work with them to deliver new experiences to the platform. Still, consumers were hungry for content for their system, and the software sold, albeit with seemingly diminishing returns each year. The well was gradually poisoned until the market as a whole was toxic for anyone other than Nintendo. The system was still moving, though, despite this issue, and speculation began about a supposed Wii HD, which would later be the Wii U.

I thought at the reveal that, while the Game Pad was interesting, Nintendo had read their own market wrong. I thought the Wii HD concept as originally suggested by some analysts (a more powerful console capable of HD visuals comparable to the competition while also sporting a more advanced version of the Wii Remote Plus) would be a reasonable follow up, and would easily be pushed onto consumers. It would be a lot easier for the average parent to understand that the Wii HD was a more powerful version of the same hardware concept, because the marketing wouldn't have to be so focused on the new controller design. Sometimes, improving on a design is more worthwhile than throwing away the design and starting from scratch. The Switch, thankfully, manages to marry the concepts of the Wii and the Wii U well, but there was still a chance, I think, for Nintendo to have succeeded with their previous generation console. In fact, I'd argue that despite the Wii U's Game Pad being an interesting design, few (if any) NIntendo games actually capitalized on the potential it really offered.

How do these two topics meet, though? I think that part of the reason Nintendo took so long in releasing a successor system, as well as the reason for the Wii U's departure from the Wii Remote design, was because Nintendo was trying to find some way to avoid the same software mess they had on their hands with the Wii come the following system. That, coupled with the time adjustment to get ready for HD game design and development, caused Nintendo to essentially stumble with the Wii U, resulting in a slower than average stream of releases, and the system never really convincing audiences that the new controller had any real benefit. Nintendo aimed to have a system that was the next big thing, while simultaneously trying to create a new controller that would appeal to core gamers and convince third parties that this was still a serious system for their highest profile titles.

What do you all think? What caused the Wii's failure? Did those circumstances lead to Nintendo changing gears for the Wii U? And would a "Wii HD" have been more successful and, to be direct, more appropriate as a follow up to the Wii?

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
A few things all went wrong all at once.

Nintendo stopped giving the Wii it's full support.
Plastic peripherals were becoming more of a hindrance than a help (killing Motion+)
Cell phone gaming started to rise.
New systems were on the horizon.

A WiiHD wouldn't have helped any. It probably would have done about as well as the WiiU in the end, just with worse games as they would have kept trying to recapture that Wii sports audience.

Really, the WiiU should have focused more on just getting to the PS4 level. But then we wouldn't have Switch, so
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I think it's wrong to talk about the "Wii's failure", it's Nintendo's best selling console and one of the best selling consoles ever. It left a huge impact in the world, making everyone rethink their target audiences and creating a new market, now dominated mostly by smartphones.
Now, the WiiU on the other hand... :/

The way I see it, when the Wii was announced no one thought it would be successful, third parties were betting all on the PS3. No one thought the 360 would be so successful either, the PS2 is the best selling console ever till this day, during it's gen there was almost no competition, everyone was counting on the PS3 to repeat that success, but then 599 US dollars. Don't know if you guys remember but when the PS3 was first announced, a lot of big AAA games were announced as PS3 exclusives: FFXIII, DMC4, Resident Evil 5 and Monster Hunter 3 among others. When third parties saw the Wii and 360 doing well, they ported all of those to the 360 (since it was easier than to make a Wii port) with the exception of MH3 which was early enough into development to be ported to the Wii (a lot of big japanese tiles also ended up on the DS), it was only after the Wii had proved to be a hit that third parties started seriously making games for it, but that took time and when the games were finally done, the PS3 and 360 were stable enough that the "hardcore gamer" market was not paying attention to the Wii anymore. There are a lot of great games from that period (2009 onward) that were completely ignored, things like Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Muramasa, Fragile Dreams, those Resident Evil rail shooters and Xenoblade among others.

A Wii HD would be definitely more successful than the WiiU, everything about the WiiU was a mess: the name, the concept and the marketing. A lot of people thought it was an accessory for the Wii, you needed Wii controls to play multiplayer games while there was also a pro-controller, it was too confuse for the average consumer. A Wii with better graphics would be a more straight forward approach, a lot simpler to market, but I don't know if that would be enough to compete with the PS4. Only if it had good enough graphics to receive multiplatform titles.

I think that with the WiiU, Nintendo tried to innovate again. They learned from the Wii/DS experiment that this approach could pay off, but weren't bold enough to try something really new again, the Wii brand was too strong to be left behind so they felt like they had to keep it. That's where the Switch became successful, Nintendo went for something completely new again, the Wii brand is not as strong anymore so a fresh start was a lot easier.

Waikipedia

Oct 26, 2017
I still dont believe that the wii u name contributes much to the demise of the system. Nes to Snes or ds to 3ds would have caused confusion as well, but the strong line up and mainstream appeal helps educate the masses that these systems are not the same.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I still dont believe that the wii u name contributes much to the demise of the system. Nes to Snes or ds to 3ds would have caused confusion as well, but the strong line up and mainstream appeal helps educate the masses that these systems are not the same.

The name alone didn't, but bad name + bad line up + bad marketing. A good marketing campaign could make it clear.

Also, IMO Super Nintendo makes it clear that is a Nintendo but SUPER! And 3DS makes it clear that it's a 3D DS. WiiU is just... weird.
If it was called Super Wii or Wii 2 or something along those lines, there would be no confusion at all.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017