Nov 7, 2017
Good thread idea, I'm not much of a fighting game player myself, but I imagine that the majority of players who play fighting games are Male and it's not surprising to see more Male than female characters.

The next MvC will surely have more female representation for example.

I think this is more of a demand thing. More demand for female fighters means more selection. I used to love playing as Chun li in SF, for example.

Nov 7, 2017
Those percentages seem good

I don't think developers need to worry about making sure women and men characters are exactly 50/50

1/3 of the roster is pretty diverse

Maybe more body types will go a long way instead of adding raw numbers to the roster

That's a good point. Someone like Ribrianne from DBS would be a good selection.

Like someone stated earlier, the percentage of female players for fighting games should equal the amount of female fighters, to supply the demand equally. Their job is after all, to make a game catering to their fans

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
That's way nitpicky, it's really the same thing. It's really awkward to say men fighters so we say Male. Same with female, women fighters, same thing. That's just too much

Thank you for bringing this up again almost two years later. It must be really important to you. Unfortunately I have to inform you that the OP edited their post two years ago from "females" (female used as a noun, which is seen as derogative by many people if used outside of specific contexts like scientific papers) to "female fighters" (female used as an adjective, which is totally okay). Please inform yourself about a topic before making embarrassing posts like this in the future. Have a nice day.

Nov 7, 2017
Thank you for bringing this up again almost two years later. It must be really important to you. Unfortunately I have to inform you that the OP edited their post two years ago from "females" (female used as a noun, which is seen as derogative by many people if used outside of specific contexts like scientific papers) to "female fighters" (female used as an adjective, which is totally okay). Please inform yourself about a topic before making embarrassing posts like this in the future. Have a nice day.
Lol no need to get so offended. Do you really think I get "embarassed" posting on a message board? How much stock do you think I put into these posts, its just a discussion forum. I also rarely post and didn't see the date. Your passive aggressiveness speaks volumes to your character. I myself come from a science background, and was only saying exactly what you said. No need for the flames my friend.

EDIT: I didn't notice that OP initlally said "females" rather than female fighters. I see what you're saying. But still, cut me some slack, no need to go guns out right away. You can explain something to someone without being derogatory and condescending yourself. I'll have a fantastic day honestly, and I truly hope you do too :) (no sarcasm intended whatsoever).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've since updated the following games.
  • Granblue Fantasy: Versus
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
  • Dead or Alive 6

Last edited:

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Wasn't Corrin advertised more as female rather than as male? I could be mistaken...

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Why should I slog through a zillion lines of information in the op when it could have been clearly and quickly communicated with a bar graph. Can't one be made for free with Google apps?

It took me all of like 30 seconds to scan through it... It's not as much info as you think. It even has the rankings right at the bottom.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is the information in the OP available in graph or chart form? I'm not reading through all that.
Here you go.

Screen_Shot_2019-10-25_at_10.47.46_AM.png

It should be easier to keep this thread updated now that I have an Excel document for all of this. But for future reference, as Chaos2Frozen & Tommcatt said, there's a ranking at the bottom that summarizes everything.

Wasn't Corrin advertised more as female rather than as male? I could be mistaken...
Corrin is male by default in Smash, which is how gender-choice characters are handled in this thread (Ex: Inkling is counted as a female fighter, while Robin is counted as a male fighter).

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Why should I slog through a zillion lines of information in the op when it could have been clearly and quickly communicated with a bar graph. Can't one be made for free with Google apps?

Because it's not a zillion lines and the OP even highlighted them in bold.

It's not even a wall of text, just a list of names.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the reveal trailer, it was focused on the male version. The default on both Wii U and Ultimate is the male avatar, with the female avatar being "color 2", unlike Inkling and Wii Fit Trainer, whose defaults are the female avatars.

Though they do use female Corrin for the Classic mode graphic.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Soul Calibur VI's percentage has been updated to reflect Hilde's recent reveal.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street Fighter V: Champion Edition's percentage has been updated to reflect Gill's recent reveal (plus the title change for SFV).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Tekken 7's percentage has been updated to reflect the recent leak.

lekiedma

Dec 5, 2019
Its never a bad thing for fighting games to have more diverse and representative rosters, even if the majority of the players are male.
I hope we see a trend of more diverse rosters in the future and less female characters that are obviously there for no other purpose than sexualisation.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  1. Happy Belated 2nd Birthday to this thread.
  2. Granblue Fantasy: Versus' percentage has been updated to reflect the recent DLC reveals.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street Fighter V: Champion Edition's percentage has been updated to reflect Seth's reveal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has been updated for both percentages to reflect Byleth's reveal (male default, female alternate costume).

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sakurai managed to make the male default of a character that if you go to the internet you would have never guessed you can even choose male xD

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
A bit late on this but it's wierd that Power Rangrs Battle for the grid doesn't have more female fighters.

An especially notable omission is Kimberly

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sakurai managed to make the male default of a character that if you go to the internet you would have never guessed you can even choose male xD
To be fair, Male Byleth isn't THAT far off in popularity going by the polls. But yeah, as much as I utterly despise Female Byleth's design, she should have been the default.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know which Byleth is more popular? As far as I can tell, female Byleth x Edelgard and female Byleth x Dimitri are the most popular pairings, so I thought female had the edge here.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Do we know which Byleth is more popular? As far as I can tell, female Byleth x Edelgard and female Byleth x Dimitri are the most popular pairings, so I thought female had the edge here.
Female Byleth is the most popular one of the two. Going by Twitter, it's by a wide margin. But various Japanese polls have the gap between the Byleths somewhere between Corrin & Robin levels.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Well, let's hope Sakurai fixes the mistake next Smash and Corrin, and perhaps Byleth, become the default one.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm not super well-versed in Power Rangers lore, but does her existence operate on time travel multiverse theory or the multiverse as we know it from the likes of Marvel & DC?

Not sure what you mean by that, but her existance as a ranger slayer does not erase regular mighty morphing power rangers

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Honestly a low point of SSBU. At this point if there's a woman of comparable relevancy to a game/series, she should be added first. Wish Chun Li had been added instead of Ken, and Edelgard instead of Byleth. Hope the second round of DLC is At least 4 women, there's no shortage of deserving characters. Jill, Lara, Impa, Urbosa, Dixie, Pyra, Elma, KOS-MOS, Shantae, 2B, Ashley, and yeah Chun Li still deserves it, just to name a few viable options that would fill out the second wave twice over.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly a low point of SSBU. At this point if there's a woman of comparable relevancy to a game/series, she should be added first. Wish Chun Li had been added instead of Ken, and Edelgard instead of Byleth. Hope the second round of DLC is At least 4 women, there's no shortage of deserving characters. Jill, Lara, Impa, Urbosa, Dixie, Pyra, Elma, KOS-MOS, Shantae, 2B, Ashley, and yeah Chun Li still deserves it, just to name a few viable options that would fill out the second wave twice over.
I can understand Ken since he was an easy echo, but I'm with you on what you said overall. In the specific case of Chun-Li, her status as the First Lady of Fighting Games should easily overcome the potential problem of being Street Fighter's third character & second unique character.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
SSBU is still somehow ahead of Marvel Infinite. Christ.
Smash Ultimate would need to hit 91 characters with no new characters who are primarily female (I.E. 16.484%) to get a worse percentage than MvCI (90 characters with no new default women would equal MvCI's percentage, that being 16.667%). Going by how long the 2nd Fighters Pass is gonna last, I'm not sure if it'll get to that point since I feel like this pass may be the final one (we'll be at 88 characters by the end of 2021).

The funny part is that, going by various rumors, we were supposed to get a 2nd Character Pass for MvCI that included Ms. Marvel & Lady before Marvel & Capcom abandoned ship (& given how they named Captain Marvel's Ms. Marvel costume as well as Dante missing all of his old Kalina Ann moves, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true). If that's true & they actually made it happen, they would have brought MvCI's percentage up to 19.048%. A damn shame how everything turned out.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean is she from another Earth or a different future or something like that?

Officially is a new universe but even the wiki tells that "drakkon timeline" is acceptable since everything till the green ranger Arc is the same (the main difference is that the green ranger breaks free of Rita's control but allies with her willingly and becomes a dictator)

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
4 women in the base game was a dang travesty
Truth

Officially is a new universe but even the wiki tells that "drakkon timeline" is acceptable since everything till the green ranger Arc is the same (the main difference is that the green ranger breaks free of Rita's control but allies with her willingly and becomes a dictator)
Color me curious, though it's been years since I watched Power Rangers.