• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed that when I was tallying up the numbers. DBFZ is the only outlier, but that's due to the lack of female fighters for ASW to pull from (pre-Tournament of Power).
Yeah for sure, just hope through DLC there is a way (even though it's not in the 'Z' era and more the 'GT') they can add in characters like Pan. Maybe somehow work in a Capsule Corp armoured up version of Bulma to fight or something. But yeah, the source material is pretty thin on the ground for ASW unfortunately.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah for sure, just hope through DLC there is a way (even though it's not in the 'Z' era and more the 'GT') they can add in characters like Pan. Maybe somehow work in a Capsule Corp armoured up version of Bulma to fight or something. But yeah, the source material is pretty thin on the ground for ASW unfortunately.
I guess that's the issue with Dragon Ball. I'm sure other Shonen IPs like My Hero Academia would have less of an issue with this, especially if ASW took a jab at the franchise in the future.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great job Neoxon (and the other stat contributors), nice to have some numbers to look at.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think fighting games should necessarily strive towards a 50/50 split between male and female characters. Anything around 33% and above feels adequate to me in games that are loosely based on martial arts and action movies (Street Fighter, King of Fighters, etc...).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Great job Neoxon (and the other stat contributors), nice to have some numbers to look at.
It actually took me around 2 hours to do all of the research & math for the games. The later edits were a bit easier since you guys were able to help me out with those.

JetJaguar88

Nov 7, 2017
Man this is pretty sad, especially for Smash Bros. That game is supposed to be "Nintendo's All Star Fighter". So that also says that out of all the characters that Nintendo believes to be memorable, only 19% of them are female.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great job with this thread, pretty interesting to see all of this data! Also, I hope that they put more female characters in the DLC of FighterZ, it would be great.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Thanks for the break Down Neoxon fascinating (but not surprising) that a few games fail to break past the 30% mark for representation.
I'm honestly surprised that Smash 4 & the NRS games didn't break through the 30% mark. You could get Smash 4 past 30% if you edited the statistics (as Waluigilicious showed), but that'd require editing the numbers that no other game on this list has used to get their results.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think fighting games should necessarily strive towards a 50/50 split between male and female characters. Anything around 33% and above feels adequate to me in games that are loosely based on martial arts and action movies (Street Fighter, King of Fighters, etc...).
I agree with this. Real life is not 50/50 split on everything, why should videogame? For fighting, in particular, there're good reasons why male fighters outnumber female fighters: in general men are more into fighting than women and physically stronger.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I agree with this. Real life is not 50/50 split on everything, why should videogame? For fighting, in particular, there're good reasons why male fighters outnumber female fighters: in general men are more into fighting than women and physically stronger.

Yep, this thread is weird.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I agree with your general statement at the end. Actually that's not even something up for debate now that I think about it.

Just look at the world records for any physical Olympic event. There's none where the women is stronger or faster. (And this is nothing bad, it's just base human species biology.)

However -- I still find these statistics very interesting to read. So I'm glad Neoxon took the time to do the research into the numbers.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm honestly surprised that Smash 4 & the NRS games didn't break through the 30% mark. You could get Smash 4 past 30% if you edited the statistics (as Waluigilicious showed), but that'd require editing the numbers that no other game on this list has used to get their results.
Tekken 7 not breaking past the 30% barrier took me by surprise the most. I only play Tekken passingly but I always though that at a glance Tekken 7 was closer to 40% of the roster being women.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nor should we expect them to, though ~30% seems to be the (acceptable) norm for most fighting games these days. Even ARMS got over 30% on its first try.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
re reading the breakdown again the one that saddens me the most is Dragon Ball FighterZ. Really hope that Caulifla, Kale, Kefla, and Bulma get in as DLC to help add a few more women to the cast. I know a couple of girls that are into Dragon Ball and they haven't seen Super yet so it'd be cool to bust out some of the new girls to show them some of their hype.

Also before anyone tries to claim Bulma can't make the cut Mr. Satan got into a few of the fighting games so where there is a will there is a way with the property.

TruSpindash

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading a while back about how Skullgirls was supposed to have an inverted gender ratio to what was common in fighting games, always thought that was cool. But beyond that, no surprise to see a mostly even split in most anime fighters.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Good and informative breakdown, though I feel the % ratio is misleading as it doesn't take into consideration androgynous characters or non-gender specific characters.

Still it shows that there's still a ways to go towards having a more balanced/varied roster. Considering how the majority of current popular fighting games are based on established IPs or Series I wonder how much of an effect that has on the roster selection.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good and informative breakdown, though I feel the % ratio is misleading as it doesn't take into consideration androgynous characters or non-gender specific characters.

Still it shows that there's still a ways to go towards having a more balanced/varied roster. Considering how the majority of current popular fighting games are based on established IPs or Series I wonder how much of an effect that has on the roster selection.
That may be due to males making up so much of the franchises' fan favorites & mainstays.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm going to say the realism argument is silly. Literally none of these games aim for realism, you have petite schoolgirls beating huge wrestlers and women who generally look and dress like strippers, and not like Ronda Rousey.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised about Tekken 7 being a lower 30, but that's still a pretty respectable representation and a 45/55 split on new characters (w/ DLC). The series in general is a bit better. Despite having a larger overall cast, Tag 2's playable roster is much closer to half if you don't count the robots or mokujin (whoops, female mokujin is not playable in TT2) and include the fact that Roger Jr.'s mom is the one who does most of the fighting.

Last edited:

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
*sigh* lack of female characters is sadly always going to be an issue with Smash because most main characters are male. Like, who is going to represent ARMS in the next Smash Bros.? Springman!

Oct 27, 2017
Man this is pretty sad, especially for Smash Bros. That game is supposed to be "Nintendo's All Star Fighter". So that also says that out of all the characters that Nintendo believes to be memorable, only 19% of them are female.

These characters were not counted for whatever reason:

SXyHAhT.jpg

They were all counted towards the total though. Even the Mii characters when you literally have to create them and choose the gender yourself for them to be playable. Smash is higher than that. Check my earlier posts. The more accurate number is 29.31% and that's counting all Pokemon as non-female (including Jigglypuff).

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon ball fighterz reasoning for not including Videl, bulma, or Chi-Chi is ridiculous all they had to do was be creative with their fighting styles. The roster overall is boring and safe. They even had a chance to put in an old character with Master Roshi.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
  • DEAD OR ALIVE 5: LAST ROUND
    • 34 characters (not counting False Kasumi, who's only playable in Story Mode)
    • 22 female fighters
      1. Kasumi
      2. Ayane
      3. Helena Douglas
      4. Christie
      5. La Mariposa
      6. Hitomi
      7. Kokoro
      8. Leifang
      9. Tina Armstrong
      10. Mila
      11. Alpha-152
      12. Momiji
      13. Rachel
      14. Marie Rose
      15. Phase 4
      16. Nyotengu
      17. Honoka
      18. Arika Yuki
      19. Sarah Bryant
      20. Pai Chan
      21. Naotora li (DLC)
      22. Mai Shiranui (DLC)
    • DoA5:LR's female fighters make up 64.706% of its roster

Slight error on DoA. You misspelled "Akira Yuki", and he's a dude.

• SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR WII U/3DS
    • 58 characters (counting each Mii moveset separately)
    • 11 female fighters (characters with alts of the opposite gender are only counted if they're female by default, so no Robin, Villager, or Corrin)
      1. Peach
      2. Rosalina & Luma
      3. Zelda
      4. Sheik
      5. Samus
      6. Zero Suit Samus
      7. Jigglypuff
        • I know it's never been specified, but I'll count Jigglypuff on account of the chosen alts.
      8. Lucina
      9. Palutena
      10. Wii Fit Trainer
      11. Bayonetta (DLC)
    • Smash 4's female fighters make up 18.966% of its roster

Also, if you want to get super specific, since you're counting Mii Fighters, the Mii Gunner's default promotional art is female.

Dec 8, 2017

That's not a bad stat at all considering the amount of memorable female characters in Nintendo games.
Also, are you really complaining about gender quotas in a game where a tie-wearing Gorilla, an italian plumber and a pink vacuum cleaner are fighting to death?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope Capcom people see the OP and recognise the under-representation.

Kudos to Arc System Works (BlazBlue, Guilty Gear)!

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
A wonderful breakdown! I would love if someone did one similarly for POC. Anyway, I think that you should consider adding Dissidia when it comes out! But also, I hope we can talk about the quality and sexualization of the representation.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Real life physical strength and gender norms got nothing to do with female fighters in fiction. They can be whatever, hence Skullgirls and Dead or Alive. I know my sister is more into DoA because of the variety in girls. There could be more female empowerment in media to serve as inspiration for real people, anyway.

Just like male fighters use media as inspiration to get into the real field i.e. boxing films.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Slight error on DoA. You misspelled "Akira Yuki", and he's a dude.

Also, if you want to get super specific, since you're counting Mii Fighters, the Mii Gunner's default promotional art is female.
Fixed the DoA error as well as the Smash 4 counting (& their respective percentages).

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Soul Calibur 6 to have a near 50 / 50 split as the series is known for having several iconic female characters. The gender split is rather good in the genre, better than most even and Dragon Ball being at the bottom of the ladder is to be expected (which is why Kale, Caulifla and Kefla will eventually be added).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
A wonderful breakdown! I would love if someone did one similarly for POC. Anyway, I think that you should consider adding Dissidia when it comes out! But also, I hope we can talk about the quality and sexualization of the representation.
I may look into doing a PoC percentages thread in the future, but I have a feeling that the percentages would be rather low. Plus in the case of fighting games, would characters of Asian descent (Ex: Ryu is Japanese, Chun-Li & F.A.N.G are Chinese, etc.), & thus go towards the PoC percentage? As for adding Dissidia, I'll consider it, though it may be considered bumping the thread from the abyss if I revive this thread for Dissidia in the future.

I expect Soul Calibur 6 to have a near 50 / 50 split as the series is known for having several iconic female characters. The gender split is rather good in the genre, better than most even and Dragon Ball being at the bottom of the ladder is to be expected (which is why Kale, Caulifla and Kefla will eventually be added).
I could see that happening, though I guess we'll have to wait & see to find out for sure.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
In a world where motherfuckers can throw fireballs, who gives a shit about real world fighting sport representation. I fee like 50 50 is a great thing to have for the games that do. And there's no need to adhere to the " reality "

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In a world where motherfuckers can throw fireballs, who gives a shit about real world fighting sport representation. I fee like 50 50 is a great thing to have for the games that do. And there's no need to adhere to the " reality "
I'm not against 50 50 split, mind you. I just want to point out it doesn't have to be 50 50 split.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not against 50 50 split, mind you. I just want to point out it doesn't have to be 50 50 split.
Considering that most of these franchises have long histories of male fan-favorites, expecting a 50/50 split in most fighting games is a bit unrealistic. It'd be awesome, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.