• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The wedding photographer had already spent an hour or two inside with the unmasked wedding party when one of the bridesmaids approached her. The woman thanked her for still showing up, considering "everything that's going on with the groom."

When the photographer asked what she meant by that, the bridesmaid said the groom had tested positive for COVID-19 the day before. "She was looking for me to be like, 'Oh, that's crazy,' like I was going to agree with her that it was fine," the photographer recalls. "So I was like, 'What are you talking about?' And she was like, 'Oh no no no, don't freak out. He doesn't have symptoms. He's fine.'"

The photographer, who has asthma and three kids, left with her assistant before the night was over. Her exit was tense. The wedding planner said it was the most unprofessional thing she'd ever seen. Bridesmaids accused her of heartlessly ruining an innocent woman's wedding day. She recalls one bridesmaid telling her, "I'm a teacher, I have fourteen students. If I'm willing to risk it, why aren't you?" Another said everyone was going to get COVID eventually, so what was the big deal? The friend of the bride who'd spilled the beans cried about being the "worst bridesmaid ever."

After the photographer left, she canceled her Thanksgiving plans with family, sent her kids to relatives' houses so they wouldn't get sick, and informed the brides of her upcoming weddings that she'd be subcontracting to other shooters. A few days later she started to feel sick, and sure enough, tested positive for COVID-19. She informed the couple. "But they didn't care," she says. They didn't offer to compensate her for the test, nor did they apologize for getting her sick.

Weddings are complicated events, and reorganizing them, as many have in the face of COVID-19, is no simple task. Couples must take into account the schedules of the venue, the caterers, the bartenders, the DJ, the florist, the photographer, and often many more cogs in the wedding machine, all of whom are coordinating schedules with a dozen other couples trying to plan what should be the best day of their lives in what is likely the worst year of their lives. And rescheduling a wedding is not just a logistical nightmare: deposits are at stake.

The question of whether to reschedule is also an emotional one for many couples. "Postponing a party is one thing," another photographer told me. "Postponing getting married is another." Maybe that's why so many couples are moving forward with their plans, telling themselves that it will be fine; if other people are doing it, why not them?

Many couples have rescheduled and/or significantly downsized their guest lists. They made adjustments when Greg Abbott said wedding venues could hold events only at 50 percent capacity (now 75 percent). But in many cases, that just meant that what was once a 500-person wedding became a 250-person wedding. And even at much smaller weddings, precautions quickly fell to the wayside.

One quick spin around the frenzied dance floor that is the Instagram hashtag #texaswedding reveals hundreds of posts from recent nuptials from across the state. In these photographs, there are usually neither masks nor Purell pumps, nor any other visual indication that the celebrations are taking place amid a global pandemic. Some events do seem safer than others—they take place outside, and they're small—but it doesn't take long to find a carousel of images of a wedding with a two-dozen-person bridal party and a bustling (and maskless) indoor reception.

Wedding photographers find themselves in a tight spot. They need to shoot weddings in order to make a living, but that means consistently spending time in large groups. Six photographers I spoke with said they carry hand sanitizer and wear masks when they're working, and some even double up with face shields. But because they're serving a couple on their special day, once they're at the wedding photographers can't do much, if anything, to enforce any pandemic guidelines.

"I think most people's intentions are good," said one photographer who, like most who shared their stories, asked to be anonymous, because she didn't want to risk losing more work than she already has this year. "It's just when you get a group of people together with alcohol and socializing, at a certain point, everyone just kind of lets loose and it gets a little dicey." She recalls one event when the groom approached her at the end of the night, shouting his gratitude over the sounds of the DJ. "He was excited and happy and saying thank you," she told me, "and I just felt spit land on my face."

www.texasmonthly.com

Texas Wedding Photographers Have Seen Some $#!+

They know what you did this summer.

Lot more in the article 🤢

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I just honestly can't imagine being as selfish as the people at that first wedding. Like even if I didn't care about being sick, why wouldn't I care about other people who do? Or even other people they could infect. Just being assholes.

If someone got sick because of me I'd feel terrible. If I caused someone's death I'd never be able to forgive myself.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. The photographer did the right thing, and lucky they could send the kids off.

What a bunch of arseholes the bride and groom are. Unbelievable.

taco543

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
the fact that people are still this ignorant about the pandemic, is just mind boggling. There are over a quarter of a million people dead. Grow the fuck up.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
A friend of mine went to two weddings this year.

Both were complete shitshows and no one wore masks except for her and some bridesmaids. She tried to back out of both, but they just wouldn't let her.

She got tested a few times after each wedding, but my fucking god.

Just postpone them. Get married in a court house. Just fucking avoid people

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
This is so awful. My wife and I decided to postpone our wedding for a year until next May. We had a very small elopement ceremony on our original date this year, but even with that postponing still hurt. But we would rather keep ourselves and our loved ones safe then go forward with an event when it is dangerous to do so. The fact that these people are going forward with their weddings is just terrible.

JetMan07

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I'm glad the photographer was able to send her kids to relatives and immediately self isolated. WTF at those bridesmaids.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
JFC. Our wedding was set for May 24th this year, but we're not insane, so we pushed it to 2021 (and will push it again if we need to). Luckily all of our vendors played ball and we barely lost any money.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just can't. These people. I feel so sorry for the photographer, she had every right to leave that wedding ASAP. That teacher though needs to be fired because they are willing to risk getting their students sick and thus the students family sick.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Worth noting I know two people who DID go to or attend weddings this year, and both had everyone get tested first and required masks and fit everyone into a backyard with enough space to easily social distance. I still think what they did was dumb, but if you're going to have a wedding today there are actual ways to be less of an asshole about it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
A friend was telling me a couple of weeks ago they know someone who was having a wedding this month in TX, with 250 expected to attend.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, that party should have been locked up for endangering the lives of hundreds of people. "It's her wedding day" is such a cunt answer to concerns over actual people dying from their selfish attitude. Fuck those people for being literal shitpiles.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I'm starting to think these idiots don't know what it means to be positive and asymptomatic. Add selfishness and you have a great recipe for disgusting shit like this.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Fuck these selfish people. Their stupidity is infecting people and dragging this whole thing out longer than if everyone could just follow some really simple guidelines.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
people who get married are some of the most selfish people on the planet

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Got married in 2018, so I understand how shitty that would be to have to reschedule literally everything. I do feel sorry for all the couples that had to face the awful prospect of post poning their wedding and losing out on literally thousands of dollars in deposits because of COVID.

But hearing this type of shit is just unacceptable to me. That final quote in the article is just fucking crazy. The amount of selfishness of people on display this year is jaw-dropping.

If I unknowingly got someone sick, I'd feel awful. If I knowingly did, even worse. If they died from it, I couldn't forgive myself.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Seems to me the photographer should sue for impact on health, loss of business (other events she missed), psychological impact (kids, etc...).

There got to be a case here somewhere.

Lange

Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Wife and I are waiting for almost a year now to throw our wedding party, no one should get sick for something so trivial. Fuck these people, kill yourselves alone and don't drag smart people into your death cult.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like this teacher should be fired and never interact with kids. And the bride and groom should be fined.