• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats PD. According to a report from gamesindustry.biz Gran Turismo Sport was the best selling racing game of 2017 in the UK, followed by Mario Kart 8: Deluxe and Forza Horizon 3.

GTS was also the second best exclusive title sold in the UK in 2017, only surpassed by Crash Bandicoot Remaster (#6).

8th: Gran Turismo Sport (Polyphony Digital)
11th: Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)
13th: Forza Horizon 3 (Playground Games)
20th: Forza Motorsport 7 (Turn 10 Studios)
31st: Need For Speed Payback (Ghost Games/EA)
49th: F1 2017 (Codemasters)
58th: Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo)
63rd: DiRT 4 (Codemasters)
81st: WipEout Omega Collection (Sony)
88th: Micro Machines: World Series (Codemasters)
(List by courtesy of gtplanet.net)

i1KPlDhUfbJpSz.jpg

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-leads-pack-uk-retail-racing-game-sales-2017/

Best selling game overall was FIFA 18, but who cars about that (if you do care, you'll find the complete ranking in the article!). All results refer to retail sales, only!

Last edited:

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What made more money though?

Because I bet Mario Kart was full price the entire time

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expected. First Gran Turismo on PS4 in a European country (= Sonyland). Impressed by Horizon 3's legs, between the word of mouth, the upcoming X patch and the brilliant expansion packs it seems the interest isn't fading despite FM7.

Also, Project CARS 2 is not in the top 100? Yikes. Even Micro Machines is in.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bit surprised it beat Mario Kart actually, but not too surprising overall.

Crash being the best selling exclusive is actually amazing though, who would have thought Crash would beat the likes of Zelda, Mario, Uncharted, Horizon and hell, even bloody Destiny 2?

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
PD could release a flange hair glued to a stick and call it Gran Turismo and it would sell. That's not to say GT sport is bad but the GT brand is hugein Europe.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assetto Corsa have best physics, Project Cars 2 have best features, Gran turismo sport have best online game. Combine all this games best parts, and we got ultimate racing sim!

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
damn MK8 DX got a crazy high spot and never got a price drop

Oct 26, 2017
If i recall correctly GTSport had a huge price drop in Europe following the Black Friday Sales.

They were selling it at 29,99€ - 39,99€ here.
Edit. Currently 35 bucks on Amazon.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
What made more money though?

Because I bet Mario Kart was full price the entire time
You could look the charts in chart-track.co.uk... even the weeks with big discounts GTS made more money than Mario Kart (or any other racing game... hell it was the TOP5 best revenue of the week).

If you are talking about revenue GTS did way more.

Now profit it probably not.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Lets just happy for three first party racers performing well rather the usual dick size contest.
Good to see those performances considering people were doubting the viability of the genre in recent years.
damn MK8 DX got a crazy high spot and never got a price drop
And it wont get one anytime soon...also no bundles.
Assuming we get the MK8 Switch bundles this summer as im expecting it will probably be a Top 3 seller this year again.

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
Good price cuts and black Friday bundles pushed GT Sport sales along nicely. Also adding back features players expected and wanted with some substantial updates helped.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm assuming that huge price drop to £18 helped a lot.

I rented the game and found it painfully boring. The VR mode was really disappointing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It wasn't selling as well as Sony would like, it likely still would've comfortably outsold the rest, bar Mario Kart without the sale price.
Forza 7 was outselling GT:Sport the week before either got a price drop, also despite F7 releasing earlier:

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/archive/index_test.jsp&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2017&year=2017&week=45

And on Black Friday, Forza was £25 cheapest but only at Argos.

I'd imagine GT will have had much larger day one sales though due to the franchise pull, but let's not pretend it wasn't overpriced as it very quickly dropped like a rock. It really was half a (GT) game at launch, but at least they're rectifying that now with free content updates and the single player campaign.