• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Is there actually an alt right ending in this game?

....what the fuck is going on right now?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
"i was basically trying to make the video game version of like a Chuck Palahniuk or Haruki Murakami novel"

*5 seconds later*

"ALRIGHT EASTER EGG HUNTERS this is where i hid motherfucking dick masterson in my elaborate piece of art y'all are too fucking infantine to understand, be careful though, he only talks to chicks after all, heugh, heugh!"

Last edited:

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game seems to be really try hard and cringey.

Also Dick Show is a shit podcast. Always found it interesting that Pat's (Formerly of Super Best Friends) girlfriend is frequently on there.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't find the ending itself but Mr. Masterson is definitely in the game.

bfazoGm.png

GTpxwZC.png

(Source: GrandmaParty's Let's Play of the game on the Something Awful forums)

Of course his name would be Chad.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ofc he went on the Dick Show, of all places. Needed a good echo chamber to vent, I guess.

I felt bad when this type of stuff happens to games that are niche and hard to market like Where the Water Turns to Wine. Andrew Allanson and YIIK can fuck off.

Internet tabloid/young boomer Killer Keemstar
1236lz4alft21.png
Of COURSE boogie inserted himself into this shitshow.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm aghasted at the brainworms this dude has

Jordan Peterson has elevated brainworms to such an artform.

Improving yourself is a political thing now? Imagine being happy in mental pigstyle you've been in for ages. Imagine the toxic swamp that people like Jordan Peterson leads to. People like this developer.

Aghasted

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell happened with this game? Can I get a recap of all this from the beginning?

I remember playing an early itch demo of YIIK and thought it had potential, but never really looked it up after that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell happened with this game? Can I get a recap of all this from the beginning?

I remember playing an early itch demo of YIIK and thought it had potential, but never really looked it up after that.
1. The game came out.
2. The game was immediately blasted online for its up-the-ass writing and horrendous protagonist.
3. The dev team got super-defensive about the critical response.
4. The writer appeared on an alt-right podcast and lamented games aren't art because no one liked his artistic vision.
5. And a third, alt-right ending was hidden in the game this whole time????

This has been a fucking trip.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously can't take this dude's word seriously if he pushes this kind of content out, and expected consumers to resonate with it. You can't expect people to see your self insert character's progression in story if the game is hardly playable as is.

What in fresh hell IS this?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously can't take this dude's word seriously if he pushes this kind of content out, and expected consumers to resonate with it. You can't expect people to see your self insert character's progression in story if the game is hardly playable as is.

WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING IN THIS CLIP

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i originally thought there was no way yiikes could be worse than i had seen from the past threads i had seen on this game but adding an alt-right ending will do it for sure

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This is where the Kojimas of the world prove their worth and reputation. Nothing this douchebag is saying is true

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

I'm gonna blow your mind and say this is NEVER explained in the game. It's never brought up or acknowledged or referenced again.

Lmao, he made the character a better looking version of himself?

That's not the dev. It's some random guy that the internet decided was the dev.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know when this was first announced, but I feel like I have been making fun of this game for like 10 years now.
I didn't even realize it was out.

From the very first time I saw it I was legit off put by how ugly and weird and hipster it was.

All this other stuff is just insane.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely unsurprising that this is his take, it's obvious he's the one who understand anything.

Probably he's just mad his shitty game failed to become the next undertale.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
I'd never heard of this shit until today and I just wish I could have gone the rest of my life without it. Fuck you internet.

Oct 25, 2017

Oh please tell me this isn't the actual game framerate or sound mixing. Or dialogue.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is some truth to the baseline of what he said, as many people were circlejerking over the game before it even came out. Gaming does have issues with really unlikeable characters, I struggle to really think of many (the few that do tend to be loved for being badasses). Like, that line about the depression thing that people in this thread were talking about, I feel like works in context. One of the responses to the tweet is "why did anyone think this was an ok message for a game" when that's sort of the crux of it, it's not the message, and assuming so from a 2 frame tweet is frankly kind of stupid and only reinforcing what he said. That is the sort of thing say, Selina Meyer would say on Veep to a character.

That being said he's been a big ol fucking baby and he didn't make an actually good game about an unlikeable hero, and didn't actually do that much with it. Like he seems to be going for something close to maybe Scott Pilgrim but without the characters that constantly give Scott shit and an actually decent ending arc. And the whole red pill ending plus being a big fan of Masterson has mostly worn out the benefits of the doubt I gave the dev as far as his actual character.

Oct 25, 2017
framerate is better, the video has weird slow down. The animations are purposefully like that though. Sound mixing and dialogue are real.
But... that's awful... Jeez. The feedback of each action in battle is terrible, and everything takes ages to do. And all the attacks do way too little damage. Has this guy even tried to learn from other games at all?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
But... that's awful... Jeez. The feedback of each action in battle is terrible, and everything takes ages to do. And all the attacks do way too little damage. Has this guy even tried to learn from other games at all?

May I direct you to my review for the game?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/yi...ast-pronounced-y2k.93427/page-8#post-17047811

this excerpt in particular
The battle system is fundamentally broken. I do love "active combat" turn based RPGs and the mini games themselves in this one are decent. But slowing down the pace would be an understatement. Each time an enemy attacks you, you have to do a dodging or blocking mini game. Enemies who are attacking the whole party cause you to do this dodging action individually for each character. If 3 enemies all use multi party attacks (which has happend) you will play this dodging game between 6-12 times in a single turn. This becomes agonizing. At a certain point in the game it makes sense to use one of the main character's abilities that blocks all damage, not because the damage is a huge issue, but because it skips these minigames and speeds up the fight. This is becomes how every battle turns out, use Alex throw up the barrier, keep his PP up so you can use the barrier when it runs out. Every battle is best handled by this. You are also holding a button to speed up all the animations cause they happen way too slow.

So since the mini-games take a while, the enemies have less health to compensate to keep the game moving at a decent pace right? No. They all entirely have too much health. Regular mob enemies all feel like they have too much health taking whole party attack before they die. At one point a boss took me 15-20 minutes doing the Panda Barrier strategy. Note this boss almost always did multi hit attacks and it just going on and on. Well the next question is you can just out level the monsters right? No, they level and scale with you. No matter what level you are at they feel the same. "Well what about better items and stats" I literally have no idea how the stats affect the game. Let me repeat that.

I LITERALLY HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE STATS WORK IN THE GAME.
WHY AM I DOING LESS DAMAGE WITH MORE STRENGTH? WHY DOES DEFENSE NEVER SEEM TO ACTUALLY MATTER? WHY AM I DOING 1 DAMAGE WITH THIS CHARACTER WHEN I DID THEIR MINIGAME PERFECTLY AND HAVE THE BEST EQUIPPED WEAPON? WHY DID THEIR SPECIAL ATTACK IN TURN DO 80+ DAMAGE? WHY DOES THIS SPECIAL ATTACK THAT TAKES 5 TURNS TO DO FUCKING 13 DAMAGE AND KILLS THE CHARACTER? WHY DOES THAT CHARACETER IN TURN IS ABLE TO DO 40+ DAMAGE WITH THEIR REGUALR ATTACK? WHY THE FUCK DID YOU GIVE ME 3 EXPERIENCE FOR A FIGHT THAT TOOK ME 15 MINUTES? WHY THE WAS ANY OF THIS OKAY? ABSOLUTELY NONE OF IT MAKES SENSE.

The battle system is an absolutely frustrating mess. I am not sure how anybody could be okay with it. I have zero clue what the developer's intentions were with it. Battles don't just become a chore, they become a dreadful part of the experience. Everything would need to be reworked to fix it.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're telling my the YIIK dev really put in that guy who was invited on Dr Phil to give a bullet point list of why men are better than women and then started heckling the audience?

Damn how did anyone ignore this artistic masterpiece? Chuck Palahniuk is literally spinning in his grave.

Oct 25, 2017

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
You're telling my the YIIK dev really put in that guy who was invited on Dr Phil to give a bullet point list of why men are better than women and then started heckling the audience?

Damn how did anyone ignore this artistic masterpiece? Chuck Palahniuk is literally spinning in his grave.
Holy shit, I just looked that up lmao. Dude aged like a pizza left on the pavement on a sunny day.

Remember, kids: right-wing politics and misogny? Not even once.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Someone shared in a Disord group a clip from the podcast where he actually says what he said:

...he comes off as even more of an asshole when you hear him actually say it, dude is literally shouting

My favorite bit is where he moans on about how gamers can't cope with palahniuk or murakami type storytelling in their games, two authors with very little in common except that for some reason gamer guys who want you to know they read always end up name-dropping them

Last edited:

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I only saw a few screens of the game before, but based on that, this is kinda what I assumed the creator was probably like....

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Early impressions of the game gave me some mega creep-o vibes. Glad I trusted my gut and stayed far, far away from supporting this trash.

Fuck this guy and fuck his game. Put him on the ever-growing shitlist -- getting real tired of this particular brand of cancer on the gaming community.