• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
We have had a bunch of tweets from Andrew Reiner on this that I felt warranted their own thread, away from the plethora of pastebin leaks.

There's a couple more tweets where he suggests that he has heard more but won't be sharing due to it being "spun into an apocalypse." I assume it's because of fans on both sides going crazy. Unfortunate, but I suppose understandable and likely why other journalists don't talk about next gen.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Andrew is a reputed journalist and had multiple contacts within the industry. I cannot see why he'd lie about this. Is he sharing details? No. That'd likely compromise his sources. Appreciate his work and looking forward to the leaks

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
It would be wild if Sony came in more powerful than Scarlett since Microsoft has really hung their hat on being THE best platform for high performance.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ol' Albert Penello from former Xbox fame also posted about it, not saying it's wrong, but that stuff can change.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully. I don't want to buy every console and maintain a gaming pc anymore. Going just gaming pc, Switch and PS5 would be really nice next gen. If Xbox ends up being more powerful than PS5 though I'll just have to buy that as well :/

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Last thread on this got locked.

But if Sony gets the power and matches the price then the next box is in trouble.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Doubt it. Microsoft has put a ton of emphasis on having the most powerful system.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious to see how both Sony and MS treat raw horsepower. Current/Last-gen was dominated by Sony having a more powerful, cheaper box - took MS an eternity to try and get ahold of the messaging, and only after putting out the ONE X.

I think neither side will dare fuck around - they will toss whatever novelty out the window if it means more flops.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
People are acting like the power difference is gonna be the same as it was between the PS4 and Xbox One.

No matter who is more powerful, it's going to be be a small amount.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Maybe it's just me but I kinda hope they end up very similar (they likely will) because that should bring an end to all this...well, nonsense really.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Specs are great and all but they mean fuck all if the user experience is absolute trash.

I would hope that Microsoft don't have another Xbox One fiasco where the UI runs like dog shit and the games can't even hit standard performance targets.

I would hope that Sony doesn't continue their dog shit UI as well.

A Gamer Can Dream

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
There's a couple more tweets where he suggests that he has heard more but won't be sharing due to it being "spun into an apocalypse." I assume it's because of fans on both sides going crazy. Unfortunate, but I suppose understandable and likely why other journalists don't talk about next gen.
I think it is more just that things really ARE up in the air right now. Phil Spencer briefly mentioned this during his interview with Giant Bomb. There are still a range of specs and they need to lock down which ones they want

But, even more entertainingly: Remember that firmware update for the xbone that made more memory available to games? We literally downloaded more RAM...

And that is because MS scaled back what they wanted to do with the OS and freed up more resources. Even if the hardware SKU is locked down there is still flexibility as to what resources are available to devs. Which effectively means that both systems could have the same hardware but one could be noticeably more powerful

It is interesting to know, but I would argue that saying which is stronger at this point is borderline irresponsible. Especially as this is the kind of shit the fanboys will love to run with.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder how expensive these consoles are going to get.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't really matter. MS will spend most time talking about Gamepass and Xcloud in stead of the box itself. Next generation is the battle of game services instead of hardware wars.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I have a really hard time believing that MS would let that happen again given the apparent success of the X (at least in driving consumer view of the brand). My wallet is crying since I buy all the systems, but boy do I love new system hype time.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna get both anyway so whatever. I hope they push each other to be the best machines they can be.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the most powerful console won't necessarily be the best selling this time. Both will be pretty powerful and it's just not going to matter as much next gen. Obviously if we were to end up with a situation where one is more powerful and cheaper like this gen, that would not bode well for the other console's sales.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Whether it's true or not, I still think it'll be negligible.

Services and content and I'll say it again. Services and content.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
IF we should have another situation where the power is clearly more focused on one side - can we expect more "secret sauce/discreet dGPU" hushed-tones rumours?

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I hope Sony can leverage the large number of purchases over the PS5's lifetime to get great deals on parts. I could see that as a way they could come out with a more powerful machine at the same or lower cost. Then again Microsoft has the larger war chest and if they're serious they could just subsidize their machine more.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Explain how last E3 MS was talking a lot about designing the most powerful console and their commitment to it, only for this E3 to almost never mention that. It shows that they're at least not sure anymore of having the most powerful console.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It won't differ in the end. And very likely few will be able to tell a difference. Both consoles will be getting the same multiplats.
PS4 Pro still does incredibly well for being weaker than its XB1X counterpart.
Dev Kits don't mean much, its a general ballpark figure but its not exact spec wise.

Nov 8, 2017
We shall see. There was speculation that Ms didn't announce the dual sku strategy at e3 because they're reconsidering it. We are 16 months from launch or so, both parties still have time to make changes if they choose to. I wonder if this is based on Scarlett or the weaker machine that may or may not come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.