• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Specs are great and all but they mean fuck all if the user experience is absolute trash.

I would hope that Microsoft don't have another Xbox One fiasco where the UI runs like dog shit and the games can't even hit standard performance targets.

I would hope that Sony doesn't continue their dog shit UI as well.

A Gamer Can Dream
Hopefully the switch to SSDs fixes the slowdowns. I've seen first hand how much better the PS4 UI performs with an SSD installed.

Now we just pray the UI design is decent.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lol, he calls his info rumour now? When he talked to devs and they say PS5 > Anaconda than that's not a rumour.

I think he knows what he's doing and he knows those tweets get many people upset. Now he's teasering more... He should have stopped with his first tweet tbh.

It's not confirmed until both specs are unveiled by both companies. So yes, it's a rumor.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Specs are great and all but they mean fuck all if the user experience is absolute trash.

I would hope that Microsoft don't have another Xbox One fiasco where the UI runs like dog shit and the games can't even hit standard performance targets.

A Gamer Can Dream
I mean I trust Microsoft more then Sony atm. Microsoft seems to have their ducks lined up, and Sony's only got the one duck swimming around their kitchen sink

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing more ironically hilarious than console warriors battling it out over which is more powerful, while the PC exists literally just right there. It's like arguing over McDonalds or Burger King burgers while you're in front of a nice restaurant that serves an actual decent meal.

At the risk of derailing the thread. In Australia, there is absolutely no way I'm building a PC at a reasonable price that has the rumored horsepower of next gen consoles. I don't think I could get X1X power at a reasonable price either - but it's been a while since I've looked.

If we're talking analogies, I see it as people arguing over Mustang vs Camaro - when there's a Ferrari around the corner. No argument on what's going to deliver, but price is a major factor.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of which one is more powerful I don't expect it to be a disparity like this gen. I would expect at most 10% either way as MS is not being shackled by the Kinect.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I only need next-gen Decima

K26ADLU.gif
Lawd. This game still looks bananas.

Nov 14, 2017

A Gamer Can Dream
I currently own an XB1X and PS4 Pro and the UI on the playstation is vastly superior. I can't understand how the most powerful console can have the worst performing UI (even worse than PS4 Slim).
Though I still play more on the X because of multiplats.

If PS5 keeps the same UI, I'm ok with that. Xbox has a lot to improve.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of derailing the thread. In Australia, there is absolutely no way I'm building a PC at a reasonable price that has the rumored horsepower of next gen consoles. I don't think I could get X1X power at a reasonable price either - but it's been a while since I've looked.

If we're talking analogies, I see it as people arguing over Mustang vs Camaro - when there's a Ferrari around the corner. No argument on what's going to deliver, but price is a major factor.
That's fair, I can't speak to pricing outside of North America.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
If I primarily game on console, what do I care about what's going on with PC? Why must some pc gamers always remind us of what we're missing out on while also attempting to denounce "console warriors" for similar behavior?

With Microsofts commitment to PC gaming, you should be able to effectively buy many variations of the Xbox platform to suit your price/needs. If the new Xbox console doesn't meet your power needs, there are other viable options. This isn't really true for Sony.

Next gen is about tearing down the walls. Gaming on PC these days can be super close to gaming on a console... If you want it to be. Options are good for consumers.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
SSDs in both consoles is going to be the biggest game changer, dropping reaction into nanoseconds and pumping up transfer speeds well past 1000 mb/s (if it's based on NVMe 3-4x times that), everything else is just a cherry on top and the biggest is the Zen 2 so far. Loading and popins were the biggest issues I had with this gen.

Current gen consoles already have phenomenal computational power in comparison and yet art styles like the one in LA, Daemon X Machina and BoTW remain unseen in the AAA spectrum.

I disagree, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn and especially God of War were very unique in terms of art style and experience. It's just different from what Nintendo offers. It would be boring if everyone would offer the same.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
What stage did Sony upgrade the RAM for PS4? I remember reading it was supposed to have 4GB RAM before it was doubled due to pressure from developers.

There was a long running myth that they did it at the very last second (same with the price) but I remember people in the industry refuting it at some point, as well as Sony refuting the "$399 at the last minute" myth as well.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS3? Was it more powerful than a 360? If so it sure didnt show in the multi platform games.

That's because the system was difficult for devs to tap into.

As the generation played out, you saw the difference as devs got more confident, especially from Sony's first party (nothing on 360 touches The Last of Us, for example).

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How much power difference could there even be ultimately? Aren't both utilizing the same generation of AMD CPU and GPU hardware? I haven't really been paying super close attention since PC has become my preferred platform.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I think PS5 will be more powerful. Probably noisy as hell and cheap looking/feeling but more powerful.

There's too much chatter from various people for it not to be.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't know what any of that means, so I'm gonna take it as disrespect.
But honestly I have no idea what you are talking about. This balanced narrative is better.

Oh, no disrespect. Sorry if it did sound like that. I just wanted to say that there were rumours (also discussed here) that Sony had the next gen AMD APU exclusivity because they co developped it with AMD.

All I wanted to say is that there were rumours that Sony would be stronger because of the cooperation with AMD.

After e3 we know that MS at least is using Navi too.

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
Why does it even matter? Next xbox and ps will be close to copies hardware wise. Its about the rest.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
With Microsofts commitment to PC gaming, you should be able to effectively buy many variations of the Xbox platform to suit your price/needs. If the new Xbox console doesn't meet your power needs, there are other viable options. This isn't really true for Sony.

Next gen is about tearing down the walls. Gaming on PC these days can be super close to gaming on a console... If you want it to be. Options are good for consumers.

Fine I guess? I still find it comical the post I originally quoted is on about console warriors and now you're here under the guise of offering options that no one in the thread asked for. The post I quoted mentioned nothing about MS's commitment to PC gaming or anything other than a statement letting us know PC is more powerful, so I'm not sure how any of this is relevant tbh.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
FWIW, this E3 showed me that they have some of the best art aesthetics in their games. Link's Awakening (LA) looked absolutely delectable. Current gen consoles already have phenomenal computational power in comparison and yet art styles like the one in LA, Daemon X Machina and BoTW remain unseen in the AAA spectrum.

Man, I wish we got more of this in the space.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the implications of both consoles having ssds?
How will that impact the way games look by having ssds as the standard?
I'm genuinely interested.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, no disrespect. Sorry if it did sound like that. I just wanted to say that there were rumours (also discussed here) that Sony had the next gen AMD APU exclusivity because they co developped it with AMD.

All I wanted to say is that there were rumours that Sony would be stronger because of the cooperation with AMD.

After e3 we know that MS at least is using Navi too.
Dang, I thought you'd catch the 40 year old virgin reference lol

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, this E3 showed me that they have some of the best art aesthetics in their games. Link's Awakening (LA) looked absolutely delectable. Current gen consoles already have phenomenal computational power in comparison and yet art styles like the one in LA, Daemon X Machina and BoTW remain unseen in the AAA spectrum.

Gravity Rush 2 is one of the best looking games this gen - check it out.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Fine I guess? I still find it comical the post I originally quoted is on about console warriors and now you're here under the guise of offering options that no one in the thread asked for. The post I quoted mentioned nothing about MS's commitment to PC gaming or anything other than a statement letting us know PC is more powerful, so I'm not sure how any of this is relevant tbh.

I think you misread my intentions. I agree the original post was antagonistic. I'm just trying to help everyone get along.

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
If this is true, couldn't Microsoft just bump their specs up? I mean we must be at least 13 months away from manufacturing...

Status
Not open for further replies.