• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang raised $10 million in the past three months, his campaign said Wednesday—greatly outpacing at least two senators in the Democratic presidential race and showing that his offer of free money to supporters is paying dividends.

At the debate last month, Mr. Yang—a newcomer to politics—offered to spread $120,000 in campaign money among 10 families in what he described as a pilot program for his chief policy idea. He wants the government to pay every adult American a universal basic income of $1,000 a month to offset enormous job losses that he said will result from increased automation.
Mr. Yang, who raised about $3 million in the second quarter, raised nearly $2.3 million in the final 10 days of the quarter that ended Monday. That's more than New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker raised in the same period after saying he was on the brink of quitting the race.

All the presidential campaigns must report their fundraising details for July 1 to Sept. 30 to the Federal Election Commission by Oct. 15. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders said his campaign raised $25.3 million; the two other frequent polling leaders, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and former Vice President Joe Biden haven't yet announced their third-quarter totals.

At a 257% quarterly jump from $2.8 million to $10 million in the third quarter, Yang posted the largest percentage gain in fundraising among all Democrats to report so far, and even topped the 19% quarterly gain by President Donald Trump's re-election campaign.

To be fair, any increase from a relatively smaller starting amount, like Yang's $2.8 million, will manifest in a rather outlandish percentage gain. The same, for example, could be said about author and 2020 candidate Marianne Williamson's 100% spike to hit $3 million in third-quarter funding — an amount she first shared with Yahoo Finance. But at $10 million, Yang quietly just moved into the so-called top tier of candidates for the first time. It's just $1 million shy of the amount Harris' campaign brought in over the same quarter.

NMZfCpJ.png

Is this the power of the yang gang.......

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
If the power of internet meme candidates is this strong, then thank god Ron Paul retired awhile ago.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
He's not that bad, but sorry dude this election is too important to take Yang seriously. There's way too much at stake to go all-in on someone without political experience.

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think Yang can do differently to gain momentum in the polls in addition to fundraising?
I think he has a dedicated group of fans, but I still don't think that translates to the general public watching debates. I honestly think his pilot for his $1k/mo actually made it seem tacky even though I'm sure the families chosen appreciate it. I think overall that's his big differentiator and to many people it's just not compelling enough. Each of the top candidates have something that makes people uniquely gravitate to them

Last edited:

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think Yang can do differently to gain momentum in the polls in addition to fundraising?

I dont think he needs to do anything that much differently, but mainstream media needs to start treating him as a serious candidate and give him the recognition he deserves. He is out fundraising a lot of people, his policies speak to the younger crowd, and he is bringing actual progressive ideas that want to move this country forward, and yet, he is always out of the discussion for some reason.

Whether we like it or not, the media plays a giant role in which candidates get to the primary. He needs to work to get on those platforms and continue to do interviews with independent journalists, do more podcasts, and get to campaigning in small rural towns and explain to these people how he can change their lives.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I think he has a dedicated group of fans, but I still don't think that translates to the general public watching polls. I honestly think his pilot for his $1k/mo actually made it seem tacky even though I'm sure the families chosen appreciate it. I think overall that's his big differentiator and to many people it's just not compelling enough. Each of the top candidates have something that makes people uniquely gravitate to them

I agree. I don't think he has a chance based on current polling and he doesn't perform well with general messaging. I am curious to hear what will happen to change that.

I dont think he needs to do anything that much differently, but mainstream media needs to start treating him as a serious candidate and give him the recognition he deserves. He is out fundraising a lot of people, his policies speak to the younger crowd, and he is bringing actual progressive ideas that want to move this country forward, and yet, he is always out of the discussion for some reason.

Whether we like it or not, the media plays a giant role in which candidates get to the primary. He needs to work to get on those platforms and continue to do interviews with independent journalists, do more podcasts, and get to campaigning in small rural towns and explain to these people how he can change their lives.

The media runs with hot stories and drama. I'm not happy with how it works, but that's how it is. Yang hasn't found a way to jump out from the current frontrunners (minus the "contest", which in my opinion was a poor look). I like Yang's vision, but I'm not sold on the execution or him as a salesman / political player based on his interactions with current politicians.

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
Yangs my #2 after Bernie. His policies make sense and I'm a firm believer that our two biggest threats right now are Global warming and AI further widening the gap of income inequality.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I said earlier this year to someone that if you compared it to 2016, he is this cycle's Bernie and he will be making in roads for 2024. Starting to seem true.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If Yang wins, can one of the well off US forum members that don't need the extra $1000 a month send me some. 🙏

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
The media runs with hot stories and drama. I'm not happy with how it works, but that's how it is. Yang hasn't found a way to jump out from the current frontrunners (minus the "contest", which in my opinion was a poor look).

While I agree, its not even just that the media hunts hot stories. I remember watching a clip of CNN(?) interviewing Yang after a shooting, and mid-sentence, they cut him off to go to a Bernie rally.

Look, I love Bernie and all, but these rallies mean fuck all for anyone not in attendance. Cutting Yang off like that shows they dont respect him or consider him as a serious candidate. They also continue to not include him in any polls or blatantly disregard him when talking about candidates. Its become ridiculous at this point.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yay another rich business guy with zero political experience that can raise money. (Shocked!)

Maybe put the ego aside and run for a state seat or something. Get some experience and be able to actually do some good if you by some weird miracle win the seat

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
While I agree, its not even just that the media hunts hot stories. I remember watching a clip of CNN(?) interviewing Yang after a shooting, and mid-sentence, they cut him off to go to a Bernie rally.

Look, I love Bernie and all, but these rallies mean fuck all for anyone not in attendance. Cutting Yang off like that shows they dont respect him or consider him as a serious candidate. They also continue to not include him in any polls or blatantly disregard him when talking about candidates. Its become ridiculous at this point.

The guy isn't a factor in the race. Bernie is in third place, albeit fading back quickly. Bernie is still a very slight possibillity. Yang ain't going near the White House unless he's out front with a protest sign.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I don't like rich dudes deciding they want to be president.
Start at major or congressman, do something to show us we can trust you with government power.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Because giving money directly to people is against the ethos of neoliberlism. Maybe if you pitch it as some sort of credit system that you can redeem in a reimbursement plan after meeting several arcane criteria.
But this is me we're talking about. signal. Someone will definitely want to give it up 💵 💵 💵

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trump would absolutely steamroll Yang. Just having those two in the primaries would be one of the greatest embarrassments in the history of our democracy.

He could try in 8 years or so though and maybe have a chance.

Oct 25, 2017
Really dislike his giveaway as part of "fundraising" (not the policy but what he is advertising). Feels like that is really stretching campaign finance law where it shouldn't be.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
zero chance? Bernie might drop out due to health reasons. Biden is losing popularity. Buttigeg is kinda stagnating.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to Warren vs Yang
Which Warren would absolutely crush him in, even in this scenario where all the other candidates vanish for some reason. Biden "losing popularity" doesn't mean he ceases to exist you know.