• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I was actually having a look for what was around in that space the other day. I have a cheap, small tablet which works fine, but I wouldn't mind something with a better screen (and better performance would also be nice obviously).

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So how jarring is going from a Pixel (6a in my case) to a Samsung nowadays? With Fi offering the Flip 5 at $400 I'm tempted to bite if only to try out a foldable for a while.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I may potentially need to upgrade my phone, it was acting a bit weird today.

I have a s20+ 5G and was thinking of maybe going with a Pixel 8.
I gather its basically an upgrade in every way except the smaller size and lack of expanded storage?

Or should i go for something like a pixel 7a instead and save myself a couple hundred $$$

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I may potentially need to upgrade my phone, it was acting a bit weird today.

I have a s20+ 5G and was thinking of maybe going with a Pixel 8.
I gather its basically an upgrade in every way except the smaller size and lack of expanded storage?

Or should i go for something like a pixel 7a instead and save myself a couple hundred $$$
Why not a S23?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up getting the pixel 8.

I didn't pick up a new power adapter or anything extra though. Can I use my "super fast charging" adapter I got with my s20+
without it damaging my pixel?

I think it's a 25w adapter.

I think Google is suggesting I get their 30w one

Edit : this is the adapter I currently have

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/...MI1JPGvP-ThQMVZswWBR33yQYnEAQYASABEgK8CvD_BwE

You'll be good. They'll negotiate the biggest amount of power that can be safely transferred, so it might not hit even 25w, but it will charge.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up getting the pixel 8.

I didn't pick up a new power adapter or anything extra though. Can I use my "super fast charging" adapter I got with my s20+
without it damaging my pixel?

I think it's a 25w adapter.

I think Google is suggesting I get their 30w one

Edit : this is the adapter I currently have

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/...MI1JPGvP-ThQMVZswWBR33yQYnEAQYASABEgK8CvD_BwE
Electronics only draw the amount that they need to use; it's not going to overcharge and make your phone explode or anything.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You'll be good. They'll negotiate the biggest amount of power that can be safely transferred, so it might not hit even 25w, but it will charge.

Electronics only draw the amount that they need to use; it's not going to overcharge and make your phone explode or anything.
My knowledge on batteries, charging is 0 so I'd be lying if that thought didn't cross my mind lol as long as it doesn't "damage" it, that's all I care about lol.

Thanks to you both 👌

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ok so when I transferred everything across from my s20+ to my pixel, quite a lot of my photos didn't go through?

Like I have a batch from when I went out the other Day, I probably had like 15 photos from that day, Only 2 came across...

I used whatever the default setup method was when my phone was getting setup.

Is this a common issue? Am I going to have to just delete all my photos and videos from my pixel, backup all my photos/videos from my s20 to my PC and then transfer from PC to pixel? (I say delete everything so there aren't duplicates when I attempt to add them again )

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so when I transferred everything across from my s20+ to my pixel, quite a lot of my photos didn't go through?

Like I have a batch from when I went out the other Day, I probably had like 15 photos from that day, Only 2 came across...

I used whatever the default setup method was when my phone was getting setup.

Is this a common issue? Am I going to have to just delete all my photos and videos from my pixel, backup all my photos/videos from my s20 to my PC and then transfer from PC to pixel? (I say delete everything so there aren't duplicates when I attempt to add them again )

The default pretty much only reads what's backed up to Google Photos I think, unless you plugged a cable between the two phones at some point.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The default pretty much only reads what's backed up to Google Photos I think, unless you plugged a cable between the two phones at some point.
ok so i was scratching my head because yesterday when I was trying to find the images that weren't showing up in the gallery, i went to double check how much GB got transferred over. It was virtually a match (39gb on my samsung of images, 39gb showing on my pixel). I just brushed that away assuming it was just a mistake.

But looking through the file manager, a lot of the photos that weren't showing up in the google gallery are showing up there!!
At least the whatsapp images, haven't gone hunting for other types of images which are still missing.

WHAT IS THIS!
Why aren't all the images showing up in the gallery feed, and only when I have to dig deep into the file manager!??!?!

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
ok so i was scratching my head because yesterday when I was trying to find the images that weren't showing up in the gallery, i went to double check how much GB got transferred over. It was virtually a match (39gb on my samsung of images, 39gb showing on my pixel). I just brushed that away assuming it was just a mistake.

But looking through the file manager, a lot of the photos that weren't showing up in the google gallery are showing up there!!
At least the whatsapp images, haven't gone hunting for other types of images which are still missing.

WHAT IS THIS!
Why aren't all the images showing up in the gallery feed, and only when I have to dig deep into the file manager!??!?!
Google Photos has different views/folders. Try tapping Library at the bottom.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Google Photos has different views/folders. Try tapping Library at the bottom.
so that shows a good chunk which aren't in the main gallery, however there is a sub folder in file management called "private" which aren't showing up in the gallery.

This is the file path to the missing images which aren't showing in the main gallery:
Internal Storage > Android > Media > com.whatsapp > Whatsapp > Media > Whatsapp Images (I think these show up in the library/folders you mentioned above) > Private (These ones do not)

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ok am I an idiot?
So i downloaded googles "Gallery" app, and there seems to be all my images there and videos, because there's at least 50gb there with 16k+ files.
But most of the dates are March 2024 with not that many showing their proper dates.

So is Google photos not the actual "Gallery" app? Its just an app to view your "uploaded to google" (cloud) images??????
I just want something as clean and simple as Samsungs "gallery" app :(
Shows EVERYTHING in one section and everything is dated properly.

So it seems my only options are use the "Google photos" app but dont have easy access to view my entire library, or use Googles "Gallery" app but lose out or any kind of organisation for older stuff? (Or download a 3rd party but I'd rather not)

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
File Browser, I guess. It's not ideal, but I've used the two for a while now. I wasn't happy with the way Google Photos app works but the file browser covers the gap in features and access pretty well that I didn't seek out anything else.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
I am looking to buy a new phone and had plans for the S24 or S24+ because of the seven years of support.

My only concern is the lack of DC dimming and the relatively low PWM frequency of 492 hz. I now use a Huawei P30 with DC dimming and I have no eye problems whatsoever.

Can anyone here share his or her experiences with the eye comfort of the S24?

ps I do have a second concern: the grainy screen. Maybe I should just buy an Oneplus 12 but that has muffled mic problems, badly glued construction and green lines in the screen...

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thoughts on f-stop gallery (and pro version)

And Aves Gallery

The Google photos app is doing my head in.

I want ALL my photos to show up in the list, not just a bunch of random ones it decided to add in it. I want my gallery to be dated, which it only partially is

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I've switched to Aves recently and like it well enough, it has a lot of customization options which I appreciate. I had to move from Piktures which become more and more bloated over the years.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I am looking to buy a new phone and had plans for the S24 or S24+ because of the seven years of support.

My only concern is the lack of DC dimming and the relatively low PWM frequency of 492 hz. I now use a Huawei P30 with DC dimming and I have no eye problems whatsoever.

Can anyone here share his or her experiences with the eye comfort of the S24?

ps I do have a second concern: the grainy screen. Maybe I should just buy an Oneplus 12 but that has muffled mic problems, badly glued construction and green lines in the screen...
I have an S 24 Ultra. Before I had an S23. Eye comfort is good to me. Didn't had any issues so far. If you have further questions, ask away.

Oct 28, 2017
What do you guys reckon? Are sub 6 inch phones dead? I'm still holding out for a surprise ZenFone 11 announcement coming months but the new large Ultra SKU has me worried. Apple, Google and Samsung seem to have settled around 6.1 inch, which is manageable, but I'd prefer something smaller nonetheless.

Now I keep hearing that foldables are the new small phone and it's something I now am considering...

Thus I have a question for foldable phone users and specifically the "flip" form factor (Samsung Flip and Motorola Razr). Last year we saw the release of actually usable 3 inch outer screens instead of a narrow notification screen. How often do you use the outer screen instead of the big inner screen?

Oh how I long for the days where phone models were often released in small, medium, and large sizes. Rather than big, big with better specs, and tablet-sized.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just got OneUI 6.1 yesterday with the S23 Ultra. I'm having fun with the easy reverse image search. I'm just seeing peoples avatars on here to see where they're from lmao.

Robot with feelings has Ghus from the Saga comics for instance.

Oct 27, 2017
Just updated my s23Ultra and the nav gesture swipes are different...? I used to be able to swipe up from the left corner to show my recent apps but now it is swipe up from the middle and hold? Whyyyyyyyyyy

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ok I think I figured out how to fix my camera roll issue.

I only tested this with a small batch (8 photos) but it seemed to have worked with Google photos app.

So I "moved " some photos that were in a random photo folder (that was originally created on my Samsung) into the main pixel "Camera" folder and they were properly listed under June 2023 which is when they were added to my Samsung.

I tried navigating on PC but it was doing my head in even though it should be a faster process. Haven't checked to see if I move photos from PC file management if the dates will be correct though. Ideally I'd do it all on PC instead of moving them manually on the phone itself

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Just updated my s23Ultra and the nav gesture swipes are different...? I used to be able to swipe up from the left corner to show my recent apps but now it is swipe up from the middle and hold? Whyyyyyyyyyy

I've had mine the middle and hold but then they pissed me off by having that stupid navigation gesture hint visible all the time. Had to download an update for NavStar in the Good Lock app to enable the setting to change it so that it's invisible. So annoying.

In your case, the gestures settings should still let you revert those controls back to what you had them before. It might have just switched up your defaults because of the update, but switching it back should be possible. Would like to know if it's not.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm struggling to copy gifs, photos onto my pixel via pc.

I drag and dropped the videos into the camera folder, but when I try and do it for pictures it just doesn't copy?

I don't understand

Edit: Plugged it out and back in again and it let me drag and drop, but only to an extent.

I feel like there might be some kind of cache issue, like if I've been transferring for a while it'll just choke and not accept any new files unless I plug out and plug back in.

Which may explain why it wouldn't fully transfer my 17,000+ files in one session lol

So I'm just doing it in 80-1000 batches

Last edited:

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
Pixel 9, Pixel 9 Pro, Pixel 9 Pro XL and Pixel 9 Fold. Given the yearly hardware refresh, should we also expect Pixel 9 Watch and Pixel 9 Buds?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I still get so many little issues with my Pixel 7 that I doubt I'll get another one for a while.

Currently a recurring bug I kept getting is that the home/gesture bar will stick to the side of my screen (like it's being held horizontally) when I'm holding it vertically. It still registers that the vertical bottom is the bottom and gestures work fine, but that large bar on the side of my screen is irritating.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
What do you guys reckon? Are sub 6 inch phones dead? I'm still holding out for a surprise ZenFone 11 announcement coming months but the new large Ultra SKU has me worried. Apple, Google and Samsung seem to have settled around 6.1 inch, which is manageable, but I'd prefer something smaller nonetheless.

Now I keep hearing that foldables are the new small phone and it's something I now am considering...

Thus I have a question for foldable phone users and specifically the "flip" form factor (Samsung Flip and Motorola Razr). Last year we saw the release of actually usable 3 inch outer screens instead of a narrow notification screen. How often do you use the outer screen instead of the big inner screen?

Oh how I long for the days where phone models were often released in small, medium, and large sizes. Rather than big, big with better specs, and tablet-sized.
The S24 is tiny feeling to me. I ordered one, ended up giving it to my wife and got the S24 Ultra instead.

Habs

Mar 10, 2021
I still get so many little issues with my Pixel 7 that I doubt I'll get another one for a while.

Currently a recurring bug I kept getting is that the home/gesture bar will stick to the side of my screen (like it's being held horizontally) when I'm holding it vertically. It still registers that the vertical bottom is the bottom and gestures work fine, but that large bar on the side of my screen is irritating.
Happens regularly on my Pixel 6 too. Pretty annoying how buggy Google's software is.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Speaking of bugs, has anyone else been having some issues with Whatsapp notifications lately? Specifically, it seems that I will not get any notifications unless I unlock my phone first. It's been happening to a couple of other people I know, so it might just be due to a recent WA update. I checked the usual stuff (in-app settings, system settings, power settings), but everything seems to be as it should.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of bugs, has anyone else been having some issues with Whatsapp notifications lately? Specifically, it seems that I will not get any notifications unless I unlock my phone first. It's been happening to a couple of other people I know, so it might just be due to a recent WA update. I checked the usual stuff (in-app settings, system settings, power settings), but everything seems to be as it should.
That happens occasionally on my smart watch but haven't noticed anything on my phone itself. For my watch I haven't bothered to look into it since it doesn't happen too often.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Few months in now. I think S24 Ultra is my phone. I'm shocked I'm gravitating closer to this one than the Note 20 I had a few years ago. Still need more time, but this is probably going alongside the S8+ and S21 Ultra form my favorite Samsung devices.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_20240414_122104_Google.jpg

Gonna try this here, does anyone know how I can get rid of this extremely annoying Google overlay whenever I touch my navigation bar a little too long? I keep getting it by accident and it started after I updated my S23U. I can not figure out what its called so having a terrible time getting rid of it. It wasnt Google Assistant, I already disabled that.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Gonna try this here, does anyone know how I can get rid of this extremely annoying Google overlay whenever I touch my navigation bar a little too long? I keep getting it by accident and it started after I updated my S23U. I can not figure out what its called so having a terrible time getting rid of it. It wasnt Google Assistant, I already disabled that.

That's the new Circle to Search feature that Google and Samsung announced back at the S24s announcement.

To turn it off, go to:

Settings/Display/Navigation Bar and disable the Circle to Search feature.