• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
The AT&T version S9/S9+ is $570/$640 at Samsung's website and includes a free DeX Pad. Just figured I'd throw it out there in case people don't regularly check deal websites like Slickdeals. It's even cheaper with EPP/Student discount, or trading in an old device.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I would avoid gs9+ exynos version as of now, until samsung fixes the battery life issue. That's really strange that's happening to your xz, it should be smooth as butter. I'm personally using essential phone, at under 400 USA dollars it's worth buying it. But, it's not available in your country, so I would say check out huawei p20 pro, mate 10 or honor view10. They might be available in Australia, not sure.

I have no choice but to buy the Exynos version of the S9+, if I want one. Has Samsung commented on a fix?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mediatek is an okay alternative so the Qualcomm ban a non-starter, but a revoked Android License? Good fucking luck if that happens, the mobile division will die within a day.

In other news, fuck me sideways. Broke as hell, but I need to buy a more than decent phone due to work,and I find it incredibly stupid that debit doesn't work in doses like a credit card. Like shit, is it so hard to pass off the cost to the bank, and I put in a cash amount every month to pay it off? Basically a loan, sure, but how does it make sense to allow credit doses and not debit?
how does it NOT make sense?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The AT&T version S9/S9+ is $570/$640 at Samsung's website and includes a free DeX Pad. Just figured I'd throw it out there in case people don't regularly check deal websites like Slickdeals. It's even cheaper with EPP/Student discount, or trading in an old device.
I thought about it, but spending almost 400 on an incremental upgrade from my S8+, decided to pass.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Got a new (refurb) Pixel after mine had its microphone die. Gonna send the old one back to Google. Never had such a great warranty experience in my entire life.

Other than that, my gf's Galaxy A5 (2016) is draining battery like crazy. Using it on "power saving mode" makes the battery end the day at 15% (with 3 calls and NOTHING ELSE during the entire day, Wifi connected). Found a cheap P9 Plus in my area, my mom has the great Mate 9 so we are expecting good things from the device (specially because Samsung sucks, so anything would be an upgrade).

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
Got a new (refurb) Pixel after mine had its microphone die. Gonna send the old one back to Google. Never had such a great warranty experience in my entire life.

Other than that, my gf's Galaxy A5 (2016) is draining battery like crazy. Using it on "power saving mode" makes the battery end the day at 15% (with 3 calls and NOTHING ELSE during the entire day, Wifi connected). Found a cheap P9 Plus in my area, my mom has the great Mate 9 so we are expecting good things from the device (specially because Samsung sucks, so anything would be an upgrade).

This is why always buy galaxy s line or note from samsung, rest are just trash. P9 plus gets really good battery life, too bad EMUI is trash.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
This is why always buy galaxy s line or note from samsung, rest are just trash. P9 plus gets really good battery life, too bad EMUI is trash.
Yup, it's her work phone though. She got it a week after I gave her a Nexus 6P. 2 weeks later the Nexus was stolen so she was sentenced to live a year of her life with the Samsung (she was stolen in an extremely stupid situation lol).

Looking for phones on ebay and other sites is super wierd, there are Samsungs in every price point and surprisingly they are ALWAYS fucked up devices. Its like the people that have Samsung phones only sell them when their glass is fucked, when the screen doesnt turn on, when the camera is dead, lol Dont people realize they have bad phones before it is broken? Worst thing is they probably sell their destroyed Samsung Something and go straight to the nearest Samsung store and get another overpriced, slow as fuck Samsung phone. I can understand the people that "only buy iphones" but I will never understand the "samsung" crowd (the cheaper ones, not the S and Note lines, that are decent).

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's her work phone though. She got it a week after I gave her a Nexus 6P. 2 weeks later the Nexus was stolen so she was sentenced to live a year of her life with the Samsung (she was stolen in an extremely stupid situation lol).

Looking for phones on ebay and other sites is super wierd, there are Samsungs in every price point and surprisingly they are ALWAYS fucked up devices. Its like the people that have Samsung phones only sell them when their glass is fucked, when the screen doesnt turn on, when the camera is dead, lol Dont people realize they have bad phones before it is broken? Worst thing is they probably sell their destroyed Samsung Something and go straight to the nearest Samsung store and get another overpriced, slow as fuck Samsung phone. I can understand the people that "only buy iphones" but I will never understand the "samsung" crowd (the cheaper ones, not the S and Note lines, that are decent).
That's probably because that's all they see (in adverts/seeing majority of people uses Samsung phones) and also hearing good things about Samsung (the S/Note) thinking all Samsung phones are good.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Can't wait for the xz2 premium, day 1 purchase for sure. xz premium was a beast and it's only drawback was the camera, but everything else was superb.

Also razer phone on 8.1 is pretty dayam good.

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
I would avoid gs9+ exynos version as of now, until samsung fixes the battery life issue. That's really strange that's happening to your xz, it should be smooth as butter. I'm personally using essential phone, at under 400 USA dollars it's worth buying it. But, it's not available in your country, so I would say check out huawei p20 pro, mate 10 or honor view10. They might be available in Australia, not sure.

My main reason for looking at the plus was that Samsung has a decent presence in Australia in terms of retailers and getting in contact with them. I considered the more budget flagships but things like the lack of expandable storage kind of put me off. What's the battery life like on the exynos version anyway compared to say a stock XZ? The biggest battery killer for me has been Pokemon Go, outside of that i'm more or less good with battery (I also have a 20000mAh power bank that i basically take everywhere). If the battery is around the same or an improvement then i'll pull the trigger on the S9+.

Weird why's your XZ chugging from almost day one? Should have exchanged it since might have been defective especially since it happen right from the start and would be within returnable date.

Yeah i was surprised myself as the Z3 was far smoother and still is quite smooth (Much smoother than the XZ stock and rooted). I ordered it online from Kogan and getting in contact with them is an absolute hassle, i basically decided that any phone i purchase needs to be from a retailer with a physical store. To be honest i'd still be using the Z3 if the battery wasn't going and the screen didn't start lifting off (This was 2 years after buying it, so 3 years now).

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018

If your in USA, why not look at essential phone?

My main reason for looking at the plus was that Samsung has a decent presence in Australia in terms of retailers and getting in contact with them. I considered the more budget flagships but things like the lack of expandable storage kind of put me off. What's the battery life like on the exynos version anyway compared to say a stock XZ? The biggest battery killer for me has been Pokemon Go, outside of that i'm more or less good with battery (I also have a 20000mAh power bank that i basically take everywhere). If the battery is around the same or an improvement then i'll pull the trigger on the S9+.
Yeah i was surprised myself as the Z3 was far smoother and still is quite smooth (Much smoother than the XZ stock and rooted). I ordered it online from Kogan and getting in contact with them is an absolute hassle, i basically decided that any phone i purchase needs to be from a retailer with a physical store. To be honest i'd still be using the Z3 if the battery wasn't going and the screen didn't start lifting off (This was 2 years after buying it, so 3 years now).

Battery life might be better than xz , since it was running a crappy sd 820 chipset. That all matters if the issue with gs9+ exynos was solved and I had the exynos s8+ (last year) the battery life was amazing. But, I don't play pokemon go anymore so that will kill the battery life quicker. I would say check out s9+ forum on xda for information, before you spend that much money on it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Moto G6 Family just announced. Glass back fucking sucks, I hate that most phones go for that option, and its basically an X4 with an 18:9 screen.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, after my Nexus 4 and Xiaomi Mi5's back turned out to be the most slippery and fragile surfaces ever known to mankind, I'm not touching any other of these ever. When not using a case, they would slide off tables if they weren't perfectly 0º flat

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
HOW DO I TEXT?!

Weird question but ever since I've had a smartphone (Droid X in 2008 or so) I've used Google Voice.

Just bought a Pixel 2 XL.

My new contract has unlimited calls/texts so I'm ditching Google Voice.

I LOVE texting through Hangouts w/ Google Voice in the web browser. Do I have any option like this? What text app should I use?

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is the most confusing lineup yet for Moto.

The US isn't even getting a G6 Plus. The regular G6 is still a huge screen, but it's a 450 processor?

Why does this feel like you're getting a faster phone if you just get last year's G5 Plus in the states?

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
So this is the most confusing lineup yet for Moto.

The US isn't even getting a G6 Plus. The regular G6 is still a huge screen, but it's a 450 processor?

Why does this feel like you're getting a faster phone if you just get last year's G5 Plus in the states?
I would just avoid moto, and look at nokia (hmd) line up. I'm hoping nokia 7 plus comes to US. It's got decent specs.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
You also have the option of the Nokia 6.1 (or 2018 depending on market). Unlike the 7+ it's been released in the US and AFAIK it's more in line with the premium/plus Moto G line.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nokia 6 is a great looking device, but your getting shafted on the processor.

That's part of the issue. If you want something better than a 4XX series processor that wasn't $400 on up the G Plus line was a good bet in the states with support for all the networks.

If not you're playing the Asian lottery in terms of if said Chinese/Indian cheap phone will work in America.

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
Nokia 6 is a great looking device, but your getting shafted on the processor.

That's part of the issue. If you want something better than a 4XX series processor that wasn't $400 on up the G Plus line was a good bet in the states with support for all the networks.

If not you're playing the Asian lottery in terms of if said Chinese/Indian cheap phone will work in America.

A N.A version of nokia 6 is coming soon. Walmart and amazon are going be selling it.

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
Isn't the 450 basically on par with 625?

Anyways for $250 range just get a honor or the new Nokia 6?

Or xiaomi outside of US

Edit: The only differences between 450 and 625 is the clock speed. They both have the same gpu (not sure on clock speed on them). so, about 0.2 ghz in term of cpu clock speed difference.

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
photo_2018-04-19_21-52ep46.jpg

Instagram is such a battery hog it's not even funny. It needs even more power than fucking 3D games, it's completely out of control. I'm more and more tempted to just ditch it and settle for the PWA version. And let's not get into the ridiculous data usage and cache size.

Last edited:

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Instagram is such a battery hog it's not even funny. It needs even more power than fucking 3D games, it's completely out of control. I'm more and more tempted to just ditch it and settle for the PWA version. And let's not get into the ridiculous data usage and cache size.

That's exactly one of the reasons why I don't use Instagram at all.

Plus I don't know if anyone has this, or has noticed it, but I wonder if YouTube Vanced is eating up everyone's battery faster, or is it just me?

Oct 25, 2017
who even uses standard text stuff anymore. its all wechat discord twitter fb messenger etc.

sms only really used for 2 factor stuff.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
I use WhatsApp/FB messenger and only use SMS at work or if someone doesn't have both. Hope the carriers adapt RCS quickly as it would make everything better. I was hoping Google would be the one to just provide the service instead of having to rely on the carriers to turn the on switch.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I eagerly await everyone to embrace the new messaging app and then Google shutting down the project and inventing a different messaging app.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
After 2 weeks with the S9+ I'm finding the battery pretty solid.

Not sure if I was just using the phone way more during the first few days, but with standard use I'm still making it through a whole day with at least a 1/4 battery left.

Google maps is the only app that really sucks my battery down (probably from having the screen on constantly and at a high brightness since I moved to much sunnier San Diego from Seattle), but keeping it plugged in while in the car avoids that problem.