• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
All this SMS stuff sounds like complete nonsense in most of Europe. SMSs were always priced individually like unicorn's blood when they're barely thin air for carriers and the next best thing you had was BBM which I remember having a Blackberry being almost mandatory for all the young deaf people I knew due to it. When whatsapp went multiplatform and started working even on dumbphones just needing a very cheap data plan everyone flocked to it and never looked back. It was just cheaper than paying for SMS or the expensive BB monthly plan so it was a no brainer and has stayed like that ever since, even for iPhone users.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yup. I will return the 8 Sirocco. It's a nice phone... but not for that price.
I will get the 7 plus probably instead, which I recently held in my hands and while it's big, it's not too big.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
In the US.

After 2 weeks with the S9+ I'm finding the battery pretty solid.

Not sure if I was just using the phone way more during the first few days, but with standard use I'm still making it through a whole day with at least a 1/4 battery left.

Google maps is the only app that really sucks my battery down (probably from having the screen on constantly and at a high brightness since I moved to much sunnier San Diego from Seattle), but keeping it plugged in while in the car avoids that problem.

Do you have the Snapdragon or Exynos version?

Yup. I will return the 8 Sirocco. It's a nice phone... but not for that price.
I will get the 7 plus probably instead, which I recently held in my hands and while it's big, it's not too big.

Have you found a solution for your live tiles?

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
Battery life might be better than xz , since it was running a crappy sd 820 chipset. That all matters if the issue with gs9+ exynos was solved and I had the exynos s8+ (last year) the battery life was amazing. But, I don't play pokemon go anymore so that will kill the battery life quicker. I would say check out s9+ forum on xda for information, before you spend that much money on it.

Yeah if the battery life is in the same ballpark as a minimum then i'm happy, will check out XDA also. Haven't been back there since after my previous laptop died with my XZ root backups lol.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Cold, impersonal, techy.
That's why I settled with Nova hidden folders and no more than 6-9 icons on my homescreen.

Interesting. I have no more than 8 icons on my homescreen, the rest is in the drawer. In terms of design language, I actually prefer Material over the Windows modern UI (including Fluent Design). That one accent color with either a white or black theme became pretty stale. I wouldn't mind something like the animated button presses from WP, though.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
HOW DO I TEXT?!

Weird question but ever since I've had a smartphone (Droid X in 2008 or so) I've used Google Voice.

Just bought a Pixel 2 XL.

My new contract has unlimited calls/texts so I'm ditching Google Voice.

I LOVE texting through Hangouts w/ Google Voice in the web browser. Do I have any option like this? What text app should I use?

I don't really understand the motivation here. I have had unlimited texting for a long time, but I still use Hangouts + GV for all of my SMS/MMS needs, specifically because of the convenience of being able to text and call people through Gmail on my computer (which I have open pretty much all day at work). If you're dead set on dropping GV, however, you can wait for the stock Messages app to add desktop support in the near future, or you can use something like PushBullet.

I eagerly await everyone to embrace the new messaging app and then Google shutting down the project and inventing a different messaging app.

This isn't a Google app that they can shut down later. It's a messaging standard that Google is working to get carriers and OEMs to adopt and implement. Once its in place, if Google decides to abandon it internally, everyone else will still keep using it.

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
Nokia 7 Plus is available on Amazon. The new line of Nokias are incompatable with US LTE bands however so they are effectively useless here unless you are ok with 3G.

Nokia 6 (2018) North American version is releasing some time in may. Which will have the necessary bands for T-mobile and At&t. I don't think 7 plus will ever release in USA "officially". That's kind of a bummer.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of the Huawei Mate SE? My phone died so I need a replacement and was looking to spend $200-$250.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Based on specs, the Mate SE seems to have the Nokia beat at just about everything. The only thing it lacks is nfc which I don't think I care about.

Just double checked and they're actually pretty similar. What you're getting with the Huawei is a slightly taller screen (18:9 vs 16:9) with essentially the same DPI density and a dual camera. Even the CPU is extremely similar, 8x A53 cores so IMHO it gets to whichever you can get cheaper if you don't mind EMUI.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two issues

Qualcomm and their dumbass naming scheme along with phone companies not changing the name of their phones other than the "2018" version or whatever make all of this shit highly confusing.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got the S9+, and when setting things up I wasn't thinking and put in my newer GMail to get started. So now the phone is linked to that.

But all my android accounts/info are on an old gmail account. So like the play store and other apps have purchases tied to that and so on. Is there any way to fix this?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got the S9+, and when setting things up I wasn't thinking and put in my newer GMail to get started. So now the phone is linked to that.

But all my android accounts/info are on an old gmail account. So like the play store and other apps have purchases tied to that and so on. Is there any way to fix this?
tell Bixby "Open account settings and add account" then pick Google or tell Bixby "Google"

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017

You can have multiple Gmail accounts set up. In Settings - Accounts & Sync, you can go to your Google account and add other Gmail accounts. You can also remove any you don't want linked. In your Play Store app you can select which Gmail account you want to use.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
tell Bixby "Open account settings and add account" then pick Google or tell Bixby "Google"

You can have multiple Gmail accounts set up. In Settings - Accounts & Sync, you can go to your Google account and add other Gmail accounts. You can also remove any you don't want linked. In your Play Store app you can select which Gmail account you want to use.

Ah thanks for looking out. I thought I searched in that area of settings but apparently not. All's good now - thanks!

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legit. Probably the best new phone under $300. Wish it was closer to $200 than $300, but whatever. Still legit for that.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Can I tell Bixby "Please stop saying seven hundred hours when I set the alarm at 7:00 am for fuck sake"

Two issues

Qualcomm and their dumbass naming scheme along with phone companies not changing the name of their phones other than the "2018" version or whatever make all of this shit highly confusing.

I'm waiting for the P7 Lite 2018

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

Black and copper is a crazy good color combination

Black and copper is indeed such a good look, highlighted metal chamfers is lowkey the stylistic choice of 2018. But the true king in terms of looks for the Nokia 6.1 is really the blue and gold:
gsmarena_013.jpg

Black and Copper is stylish in a tech savvy kinda way, but the blue and gold is regal af.

Aurelio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FUCK

I finally got some variation of the dreaded mic problem on my OG Pixel

Anyone familiar with this problem and getting it fixed or resolved?? I see there's a class action lawsuits being looked into but who the hell knows how how will turn out. My phone's basically a mini tablet now.

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
FUCK

I finally got some variation of the dreaded mic problem on my OG Pixel

Anyone familiar with this problem and getting it fixed or resolved?? I see there's a class action lawsuits being looked into but who the hell knows how how will turn out. My phone's basically a mini tablet now.

Have you tried contracting Google about it?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
So any reason why the 7 plus performs worse than the 6.1?
Verious youtube channels (Damir Franc even) mentions hicups and small problems.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Thank fuck for consumer loans. At least one major electronics retailer has a no credit card payment plan, 30 Euros a month for 12 months, and I am now an owner of the Nokia 6.1. Either through credit card or loan I would still be paying the banks, so its all good. Consumer Loan through the retailer is even better actually, as I can pay the plan with double or triple doses and can be done much earlier than next year. Fuck buying a 150-200 Euro cell phone, I have been through too many phones either do to dodgy build quality or no software updates with significant lag to bother with buying something on the cheap only to buy high next year again. Can't wait for my new baby.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OnePlus 6 is getting a glass back. Wonder if that means wireless charging?

Oct 25, 2017