• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So what do you all think of this? Could this be the S10?? If so, I very much think I'll be holding onto my Pixel XL until then. This is genuinely the first time I've been excited for a phone in years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...y-s10-design-specs-release-date/#6ae24d144594

Looks awesome. No headphone jack in those sketches though but that might change. Assuming Apple really ditches the lightning connector like is rumored, I think all headphones will just use USB-C so at least it'll be nice to have a single standard.

Oct 25, 2017

idk man... the screens seem a bit too finicky with changing weather, which apparently is as designed.

https://www.xda-developers.com/sony-xperia-xz1-xperia-xz2-display-defects/

So what do you all think of this? Could this be the S10?? If so, I very much think I'll be holding onto my Pixel XL until then. This is genuinely the first time I've been excited for a phone in years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...y-s10-design-specs-release-date/#6ae24d144594

Interesting. Meizu released something like this last year. The features on the back were pretty gimmicky though.
Jul_26_2017_16_11_58.gif

jar155

Dec 5, 2017
So...I hate Peek/Heads Up notifications. Why have we moved backwards on being able to disable these. There's no global toggle for this anymore, and only some apps let you disable them. I hate the constant peek notifications from certain apps while I'm trying to watch a video or play a game.

Anybody know of a good way to force apps like Snapchat to chill out with the peek style previews without outright disabling notifications?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using my Moto Z Play in place of my S9+ for the last few days and I still enjoy it quite a lot, maybe even enough to sell my S9+.
It's still fairly smooth (not as smooth or fast as the S9 for sure, but not bad at all), it's nice and light, and the battery is still fantastic.

While I do like the big, bright, tall screen, the nice camera, the waterproofing, and the samsung pay on my S9+, the weight and the battery life were starting to bug me. I thought I'd get used to the weight after a few weeks, but it's been a few months and it still isn't super comfortable to hold for too long one-handed. And I haven't run out of battery with it yet, but I get down to 30% or less most days, and if I'm using GPS much I definitely have to plug it in or risk getting down to single digits.

As much as I like all the nice features, I usually have to go out of my way to use them. I barely ever take pictures (my fiance does all that, haha), have to make myself remember to pay with Samsung Pay, and while I thought I'd LOVE the HDR screen, there's still not much HDR content for mobile devices (once 4K screens are common hopefully VUDU and other movie companies will let you do HDR for out digital movies). Plus the sooner I sell my S9+ the better the price will be, it's already lower than I'd like.

Wish I'd realized all this before my return window expired, but I had the itch for a new device and I have enjoyed it while I've had it. Think I might hold onto my Z Play as a permanent backup phone and maybe try out an iPhone this year (if the rumored X2 Plus isn't too ridiculously expensive and has a good battery life).

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest thing I hate to loose on mid range phones is the water proofing.

I just can't go back now in case shit happens.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Biggest thing I hate to loose on mid range phones is the water proofing.

I just can't go back now in case shit happens.
Thankfully i now live in a place that barely ever rains (moved from Seattle to San Diego), and if I plan on going rafting or out on the water (the only time waterproofing saved my phone when I dropped my S7 while tubing) I'm planning on getting one of those Waterproof tech bags.

I'd definitely prefer to keep waterproofing just for ease of mind, but I found it too hard to sacrifice great battery life for it.
Plus my Z Play was a gift and a fairly cheap mid-range when I got it, so if it gets wet it's not like I'm flushing +$400 down the drain.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got another TV from my parents. They don't need one of their TVs so I'm gonna take it.

Think what I'm gonna do is throw it in bedroom, and then I'm just gonna buy a cheap Chromecast vs paying monthly for another Comcast box.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using my Moto Z Play in place of my S9+ for the last few days and I still enjoy it quite a lot, maybe even enough to sell my S9+.
It's still fairly smooth (not as smooth or fast as the S9 for sure, but not bad at all), it's nice and light, and the battery is still fantastic.

While I do like the big, bright, tall screen, the nice camera, the waterproofing, and the samsung pay on my S9+, the weight and the battery life were starting to bug me. I thought I'd get used to the weight after a few weeks, but it's been a few months and it still isn't super comfortable to hold for too long one-handed. And I haven't run out of battery with it yet, but I get down to 30% or less most days, and if I'm using GPS much I definitely have to plug it in or risk getting down to single digits.

As much as I like all the nice features, I usually have to go out of my way to use them. I barely ever take pictures (my fiance does all that, haha), have to make myself remember to pay with Samsung Pay, and while I thought I'd LOVE the HDR screen, there's still not much HDR content for mobile devices (once 4K screens are common hopefully VUDU and other movie companies will let you do HDR for out digital movies). Plus the sooner I sell my S9+ the better the price will be, it's already lower than I'd like.

Wish I'd realized all this before my return window expired, but I had the itch for a new device and I have enjoyed it while I've had it. Think I might hold onto my Z Play as a permanent backup phone and maybe try out an iPhone this year (if the rumored X2 Plus isn't too ridiculously expensive and has a good battery life).

Using app edge, setting swipe to expand notifications, and using the Google toolbar on the bottom of the homescreen to launch apps have been three things that has really helped with one handed use. One thing that always comes back to me when considering another flagship is that it seems like no one else has something like apps edge.

It was even better when Google chrome let you configure the address bar at the bottom of the screen, but that has been removed

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here with a Nokia 7 plus?

I bought mine 2 days ago but I have Bluetooth troubles an it's starting to scare me.
I managed to pair it with my jvc car stereo but no sound is coming out.
I have not even managed to pair it with my Sony headphones!
What the fuck is up with the Bluetooth on this phone?

No problem with mine connecting to my BT earphones (Plantronics Backbeat Fit), random BT loudspeakers, my LG sound bar or the TV. For what it's worth, the person that reviewed the phone for Android Police had the same issues, maybe you can try getting in contact with them to see if they managed to fix it?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so when will audio routing become a stock feature?

it's probably my most used new feature this past year from Sam.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hi Guys!

So my Moto G4 has been acting up for a few months now by immediately shutting off when the speakers make a loud noise from a video/voice clip/whatever even if that loud noise is only for a split second.

Now it has gotten so bad that even some taps, like clicking on a link can shut it down and erase like 10-35% of the remaining battery in an instance.

Long story short, I need a replacement phone. However, my budget is extremely limited. Everything starting at 100€ and above would require me to save some money. I'm currently eyeing the Honor 6A since it has similar specs to my phone and is quite cheap to get (I saw offers at 75€).

But I need to know if it's a good phone. The last time I got a phone I belived to be good, it left me with a device that started acting up a few weeks after the warranty expired, and I don't need something like that again.

Is someone of you able to tell me if the Honor 6A is a good replacement phone or recommend me something better in that price range?

Any answer would be appreciated because this phone here is getting on my nerves.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Save up an extra 30 or 40 euros for a Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus. EMUI is far too heavy for a snapdragon 430 w/3 gigs of ram, and you'll get far better battery life, decent enough software support for security patches and QoL changes, and MIUI while as heavy as EMUI is far more optimized and has a lot more featurea than it. I own one myself, and after a montj of heavy usage, I am thoroughly pleased. I'm nearly broke myself, but I definitely think waiting it out for that extra cash is worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
Save up an extra 30 or 40 euros for a Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus. EMUI is far too heavy for a snapdragon 430 w/3 gigs of ram, and you'll get far better battery life, decent enough software support for security patches and QoL changes, and MIUI while as heavy as EMUI is far more optimized and has a lot more featurea than it. I own one myself, and after a montj of heavy usage, I am thoroughly pleased. I'm nearly broke myself, but I definitely think waiting it out for that extra cash is worth it.
I'm always impressed with how well miui runs on low end phones.

Makes sense because that's their bread and butter. Cheap phones with tons of value

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Okay, this sounds like a plan. Will do so.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Save up for a 6 series chip vs a 4 series chip phone.
Well yeah, it boils down to this too. SD625 phones are sold for peanuts, but not as low as the poster wants. Considering they are in Germany, a SD625 phone that cheap doesn't exist beyond the phone I mentioned, the Xiaomi A1, and MAYBE one of the 2 plus models from the Moto G5 family.
I'm always impressed with how well miui runs on low end phones.

Makes sense because that's their bread and butter. Cheap phones with tons of value
The wild thing is that its transition animation heavy too, and it never slows down or skips any frames. Like you use a low end Huawei and its jittery as fuck with no smooth app transitions whatsoever, and then you have Xiaomi with animations for apps opening and its like butter.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
been using my xiaomi mix 2s for few days, very pleased with it
at 1st i was confused because each and every app appeared on the home pages, after asking in xda apparently that's how miui works so i'm using nova launcher now to keep things tidy

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
been using my xiaomi mix 2s for few days, very pleased with it
at 1st i was confused because each and every app appeared on the home pages, after asking in xda apparently that's how miui works so i'm using nova launcher now to keep things tidy
Yeah, most chinese OEMs default to an iPhone style approach. Personally, having used Huawei/Xiaomi as my daily driver for the last two years, I honestly don't mind it as much. Its much more comfortable for me to keep it this way, and despite owning Nova Launcher Prime, I rarely use it. Right now for example this is my home screen:
DiU95QS_d.jpg

I have way too many social apps and games to handle an app drawer, even with page tabs. Folders and one screen are so much neater.

On another note, Xiaomi's theme engine is great and they have an excellent cimmunity of users who make great stuff. However, my region can't change and is unsupported for theming. Is their any sort of unlocked bootloader method to get themes working? I need those all black ones.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
are you using the global/eu rom?
i'm on chinese rom since i bought it from hongkong and i can access that theme marketplace thing

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, most chinese OEMs default to an iPhone style approach. Personally, having used Huawei/Xiaomi as my daily driver for the last two years, I honestly don't mind it as much. Its much more comfortable for me to keep it this way, and despite owning Nova Launcher Prime, I rarely use it. Right now for example this is my home screen:
DiU95QS_d.jpg

I have way too many social apps and games to handle an app drawer, even with page tabs. Folders and one screen are so much neater.

On another note, Xiaomi's theme engine is great and they have an excellent cimmunity of users who make great stuff. However, my region can't change and is unsupported for theming. Is their any sort of unlocked bootloader method to get themes working? I need those all black ones.

You can do the exact same thing even if the launcher has app drawer ( even better since you can don't have to have useless/rarely used apps on the home screen)

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
You can do the exact same thing even if the launcher has app drawer ( even better since you can don't have to have useless/rarely used apps on the home screen)
Yeah, but it kind of seems redundant to have a folder system on your home screen AND an app drawer. I'm weird like that, I dunno, its an either or situation for me.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Hey guys, if you don't mind I would like to ask for phone recommendations.

What I need:
- Removable storage
- Headphone jack
- USB C
- No notch (unless it's 16x9 without it)

What I would love, but can live without, in order of importance:
- No curved screen (e.g. Samsung flagships)
- Removable battery
- Good update cycle (e.g. Android One) or at least CyanogenMod's successor support
- Easily obtainable (e.g. not Xiaomi or OnePlus)

The LG G5 was my favorite phone ever, and I'm considering getting one again to replace my Nexus 5x (which I honestly hate). But I wanted to see if there was something better.

I'm thinking about the Moto X4, which checks all the boxes except removable battery. But the X4 being a mid-range phone might not match the performance of my Nexus 5x, let alone my LG G5.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Removable is non existent, get used to it being stuck with the battery forever. Otherwise, what you are looking for is a Nokia 7 Plus, but since you're in the States that might not be an option. After that, you are looking at previous year models or an LG V35 ThinQ, cause for some reason nobody major is making SD660 phones for a cheap flagship alternative.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, if you don't mind I would like to ask for phone recommendations.

What I need:
- Removable storage
- Headphone jack
- USB C
- No notch (unless it's 16x9 without it)

What I would love, but can live without, in order of importance:
- No curved screen (e.g. Samsung flagships)
- Removable battery
- Good update cycle (e.g. Android One) or at least CyanogenMod's successor support
- Easily obtainable (e.g. not Xiaomi or OnePlus)

The LG G5 was my favorite phone ever, and I'm considering getting one again to replace my Nexus 5x (which I honestly hate). But I wanted to see if there was something better.

I'm thinking about the Moto X4, which checks all the boxes except removable battery. But the X4 being a mid-range phone might not match the performance of my Nexus 5x, let alone my LG G5.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
X4 is way over priced.

Check out the Nokia 6.1

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if you want something equivalent to the upper end of the performance spectrum Nokia doesn't have anything with US bands.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Thanks, everyone! The LG V35 is looking good enough for me to consider waiting for it to drop in price in a few months (then I'll get it used). The Nokia 6.1 also looks great. And Samsung isn't off the table, but I really wish they still made non-curved screen variants of their phones...

Lack of removable battery is something I begrudgingly got used to. I mostly just hate that all phones are now tightly glued shut and require heat guns and very careful prying to actually open up (e.g. for repairs)...

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if you are in the US and want a phone closer to the high end in the US your options are very limited outside of Pixel and Samsung.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Yellow phone? ewwwww
To be honest a camera upgrade and better fingerprint sensor position is the only thing the Note 9 needs (aside maybe a version without the stylus with bigger battery :P).