• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What's the consensus on best tablet currently, around 10". I'm looking at the Samsung Tab S4.

Not 100% set on buying, just interested in the current market. I know demand has dropped. Pixel Slate price is ridiculous. I was always looking at the Nexus 7 back when that was a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on best tablet currently, around 10". I'm looking at the Samsung Tab S4.

Not 100% set on buying, just interested in the current market. I know demand has dropped. Pixel Slate price is ridiculous. I was always looking at the Nexus 7 back when that was a thing.

if you are interested in the slate, HP also has a 2 in 1 tablet keyboard thing. HP x2 chromebook. See them around $530 atm.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017

I would suggest just get an iPad...they are superior to an Android tablet.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
My mums LG WebOS supports casting natively from Android, at least for YouTube. Can't remember if I tried anything else.

Yup, I have one and I can cast Youtube and also Spotify since they fixed and re-uploaded their app to their store. It can also set up itself to receive video feed from almost any source, I've sent video from VLC on my PC to my TV just by having both on the same network. For everything else, Chromecast. I don't have one since I don't really need it but I've used it on other people's TV and it will pretty much receive ANYTHING. Android even has a direct casting feature that will just send whatever's on the screen, but the quality is not very good since it's direct streaming.

GAFChuck

Nov 23, 2017
Need help, I'm looking at buying a OnePlus Six, and I'm in Quebec, Canada, using Videotron.

I'm trying to figure out if the OnePlus Six is going to work on their network.

Looking around the internet I have found that Videotron uses mostly "Band 4 (AWS) and Band 13 (700Mhz)".

Now I see that the OnePlus Six is compatible with Band 4, but not Band 13.

What does that mean? Can I still use it?

Need help because I don't understand anything about this.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Need help, I'm looking at buying a OnePlus Six, and I'm in Quebec, Canada, using Videotron.

I'm trying to figure out if the OnePlus Six is going to work on their network.

Looking around the internet I have found that Videotron uses mostly "Band 4 (AWS) and Band 13 (700Mhz)".

Cellular bands are the frequencies that a carrier's respective tower broadcasts in. The fact that the OnePlus 6 is missing band 13 means that you're not going to get the optimal performance out of your phone and the network. This could lead to slow data transfers and dropped calls, among other things.

That's one of the biggest issues with a lot of BYOD (Bring Your Own Devices), and is the main reason why the OnePlus 6 isn't supported on Verizon here in the US. Phones sold by a respective carrier have been setup to work with their respective networks, whereas BYOD devices like the OnePlus 6 haven't been tested. They may work, but there's no guarantee that it will and some carriers don't really offer much support for BYOD devices.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, you will be able to use it.

But you won't have access to 4G when Band 4 isn't available. It will fall back to 3G+ or slower. It can vary by location. Operators tend to use lower frequencies (Band 13 = 700 Mhz) in rural areas as those are capable of transmitting over a wider area and are affected less by walls and buildings. Higher frequenties (Band 4 = 1700/2100 Mhz) can transfer data more quickly, but over a shorter distance. These are usually used in cities as there's more demand. It's also easier to have several smaller cell towers covering one area.

Last edited:

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
I always try out other keyboards cuz I get curious how others work. I tried out one called chrooma or whatever and thought it was pretty terrible. It did have some good ideas on it though like the selection delete.

Don't see myself ever moving out of SwiftKey. It's still #1 for me. I can type like shit and it always predicts everything correctly. I hardly ever have to erase. Can't stand Gboard though every time there's an update for it I switch back to it to give it a shot, but I can't do it. I find myself having to delete a lot of mistakes that wouldn't happen with SwiftKey.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Gboard also has a weird glitch for me on here and several apps where the autocorrect creates a jumble of letters resembling the word I wanted to type and then after about 20 seconds corrects itself with the proper word. Not to mention SwiftKey also has a lot of neat littlr extras, like the toolbar with a calendar and clipboard. The clipboard especially for copied text is super helpful.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
I have the opposite experience, Swiftkey gives me way more errors than Gboard. I like Swiftkey better for everything else, but obviously the most important factor is not having to correct every few words.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best smartwatch?
Depends on what for? Fitness? Messaging? Music?

If none of those, can't go wrong with this:

41oE55hsIfL.jpg

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Swiftkey went to shit for me a few weeks ago. Auto-predict doesn't come close to what I wanted to type. It's so weird but I don't want to start over in case it's just a bug that will get patched eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
Gboard also has a weird glitch for me on here and several apps where the autocorrect creates a jumble of letters resembling the word I wanted to type and then after about 20 seconds corrects itself with the proper word. Not to mention SwiftKey also has a lot of neat littlr extras, like the toolbar with a calendar and clipboard. The clipboard especially for copied text is super helpful.

I have the opposite experience, Swiftkey gives me way more errors than Gboard. I like Swiftkey better for everything else, but obviously the most important factor is not having to correct every few words.

I have the paid version of Swiftkey (not that it matters) and Gboard, and my experience has been almost flawless with SK and a constant battle with predictive text on GB. The only fix has been to turn off rich text editor.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on the language? Typing Spanish (Spain variant) has been easier and easier with Gboard, and a growing struggle with Swiftkey for no apparent reason. Also Gboard works better with context corrections, this is, if you don't try to babysit it for every single word you type, it will correct the last two or three written as soon as it figures out the last one and the whole sentence.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So is anyone here planning to buy the Slate? $259 for a keyboard and $129 for the pen (Canadian dollars) seems pretty insane.

Curious to what your thoughts are for those who are making the purchase. Heck, curious as to what anyone thinks about this thing...lol.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested if it had a Pixel C style keyboard. The foldable stand at the back makes it a no buy.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The new home app is much better for controlling shit. There are still minor improvements they can make. Like it shouldn't take my 5 mins to figure out where to change my default music service. There's no reason that option can't be brought to the front instead of being that hidden in the preference settings.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought it was ridiculous that they're using a basketball player's hands to show off the phone, but apparently it really is a tiny phone.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best midrange Android phone with a 3.5" jack nowadays? I'm eligible for a 'free' phone upgrade from my lousy Nexus5x. I just want good battery life, don't really use intensive apps or play games.

My options include:
- Moto G6
- LG Q6
- Sony Xperia XA2
- Samsung A5 2017 (50$CDN extra)
- LG Q6 (100$CDN extra)
- Samsung Galaxy A8 (200$CDN extra)

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best midrange Android phone with a 3.5" jack nowadays? I'm eligible for a 'free' phone upgrade from my lousy Nexus5x. I just want good battery life, don't really use intensive apps or play games.

My options include:
- Moto G6
- LG Q6
- Sony Xperia XA2
- Samsung A5 2017 (50$CDN extra)
- LG Q6 (100$CDN extra)
- Samsung Galaxy A8 (200$CDN extra)

Anything with a Snapdragon 600-series chipset is a battery monster, especially if coupled with a battery bigger than 3000 mAh. Just for that alone I'd go with the Xperia. It's also the one with the best chance of seeing regular/timely(-ish) updates (both security and OS) down the road. LG doesn't even give a fuck for their flagships regarding those and Motorola went downhill in that department too since they were bought by Lenovo so that's also a plus if it's something you value.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The most recent Android Wear interface update is terrible for my workflow. Now instead of having the option to click Done on my emails on the notification itself if I don't need to read it, I have to go into the email.

Google scoring so many own goals recently. Fortunately I found a way to make Chrome Desktop go back to towards he original look, then have to edit a cookie to get YouTube looking right. I've had to block auto updates on my Android TV to keep an old version of YouTube that still supports multiple account names and I'm hoping I dont get upgraded to Pie, unless Samsung keep the app switcher good and not like stock Android is now.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

I have the same issue with the XZ3: opening the camera and taking snaps kills pocketcasts. Memory management on P is super conservative

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that happens on my old Pixel 2XL. I could not stand it. I've had 0 RAM issues on my Note 9 Baller Edition.