• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I have expensive headphones, but I also travel a lot and if the batteries die, I'd rather not be SOL and have to choose between charging my phone or listening to music. If I'm spending money, I want more options, not less.
Yeah no, I agree completely. I was commenting on how bullshit it is that Google is being blatant about what features they give you at what price point. Its like the Android Go phones which are at a cheap proce segment conpletely lock you out of Google Auto or Google Wear compatibility, as if owning a cheap android phone means that you can't afford higher tier products in tandem. Absolutely ludicrous mentality.

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
Is this for real? Or am I being trolled?

nokia-9-10.jpg

This trend is so dumb. Get the image processing shit top notch.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no, I agree completely. I was commenting on how bullshit it is that Google is being blatant about what features they give you at what price point. Its like the Android Go phones which are at a cheap proce segment conpletely lock you out of Google Auto or Google Wear compatibility, as if owning a cheap android phone means that you can't afford higher tier products in tandem. Absolutely ludicrous mentality.

You're right, totally misread your post. Mah bad!

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have one of those Google $50 credits in your email I'll give $20 Amazon or PayPal. Just pm me.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
why didn't any of you ever tell me about how well dex works?

I haven't encountered any issues so far.

Everything just works. There's no lag (not sure how this would be on Galaxy S8)

I've connected my Android mini keyboard and I'm using my screen as the touchpad

The people who are saying that Samsung shouldn't pursue this and that it's worthless are idiots. If they have the capacity to keep improving this they should go for it. It's not like aren't still making improvements to the phone software at the same time..

I think that it wouldn't much more improvement to make this into something that people try to use a lot.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's crazy how little I need. Maybe I'll pick up the Dex pad if they show signs that they are pushing for enhancing this.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's crazy how little I need. Maybe I'll pick up the Dex pad if they show signs that they are pushing for enhancing this.
Honestly I know very little of what Dex does. Is it like Android TV in that it gives you a TV/large display friendly version of your Samsung phone?

Is it redundant if I already have an Android TV box?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I know very little of what Dex does. Is it like Android TV in that it gives you a TV/large display friendly version of your Samsung phone?

Is it redundant if I already have an Android TV box?

It transforms your phone to a desktop type experience that includes the ability to run multiple apps. All Android apps run natively within their own window and some will take advantage of the extra screen space based on how well they are supported for bigger displays.

This happens automatically once it's plugged in and detects HDMI.

By default, you can use your phone as a touch pad, but you can also connect multiple bluetooth accessories to complete the experience.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It transforms your phone to a desktop type experience that includes the ability to run multiple apps. All Android apps run natively within their own window and some will take advantage of the extra screen space based on how well they are supported for bigger displays.

This happens automatically once it's plugged in and detects HDMI.

By default, you can use your phone as a touch pad, but you can also connect multiple bluetooth accessories to complete the experience.
That does sound interesting but I guess I don't really have a use case for it personally. Also no Samsung phone yet.

One question: does it use the Netflix UI present on Android TV/PS4 or is different?

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
That nokia phone looks cool. Have they announced what type of cameras they're using?

Still have my dex pad in its box lol. Don't really have a use for it since I have a laptop. Might be fun to play games on a big screen though.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Google home hubs are going to be on sale next week. Anyone got one? The idea of having a screen for YouTube and the like is appealing compared to audio only ones and I need a Google one for Play Music anyhow.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Well, I tried my hardest to find a replacement for the Apple Watch, but I just couldn't find it.

Wear falls short on pretty much any form, and I find the Watch offerings rather poor. I found watches I liked the design of, that were way too expensive. I found some I liked, but that somehow failed to have basic smartwatch features like HR monitors. And the platform just seems like an afterthought altogether, I have no idea what Googs is thinking with this one. They copied Apple with the Pixel devices (though less and less with each iteration), I don't see why they don't copy the Apple Watch.

I liked the Amazfit Bip, it's a fun thing to tinker with, but ultimately it's a 50 dollar device and it shows. It's not comparable.

The Galaxy Watch came close, but has some major flaws. First of, I had the 42mm because the 46 is just huge. But even the 42 is just too big, especially as far as thickness is concerned. Out of all the watches I've owned going back to the original Huawei Watch and LG G Watch R before that, this was by far the most annoying. Wearing it under a coat or long-sleeve shirt is just impossible, it's awkward, it's dumb and a huge design flaw for a wearable.
Then all the gushing about the battery life on the 46mm aside, the 42mm had only decent battery life. With always-on display you can barely manage a full day. It was enough, but nowhere near the 2~3 days they advertise with for this model. This wouldn't be a problem if the charger wasn't slow as shit, I am used to taking my watch off at night for an hour or so when I take a bath, this was enough to top up every smart watch I ever owned, but not the Samsung, it takes over 2 hours to charge from 30% to 100%. Unacceptable for a device you have to monitor you.
The app support is poor, but I did enjoy this watch the most for its functionality. The fitness tracking was decent enough, but the heart rate monitor was subpar, it was set to check every 10 minutes, but sometimes didn't check for hours at a time. Not sure if it just failed, or just straight up didn't do it. I did love the look and the navigation with the ring, the OS was tuned to it very well.

All in all, I gave up. I had to get an iPhone XR for development purporses anyways, so that gave me the oppertunity to go back to the Apple Watch. This thing is definitely Apple's ace in the hole. I know there are still some people that don't get smartwatches or fitness trackers, and all the power to them, but as far as I am concerned, the Apple Watch is doing the same thing in the wearable market that the iPad does in the tablet market. It outpaces the competition by such a big margin that it almost makes it seem like their product are synonymous with the entire sector.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Well, I tried my hardest to find a replacement for the Apple Watch, but I just couldn't find it.

Wear falls short on pretty much any form, and I find the Watch offerings rather poor. I found watches I liked the design of, that were way too expensive. I found some I liked, but that somehow failed to have basic smartwatch features like HR monitors. And the platform just seems like an afterthought altogether, I have no idea what Googs is thinking with this one. They copied Apple with the Pixel devices (though less and less with each iteration), I don't see why they don't copy the Apple Watch.

I liked the Amazfit Bip, it's a fun thing to tinker with, but ultimately it's a 50 dollar device and it shows. It's not comparable.

The Galaxy Watch came close, but has some major flaws. First of, I had the 42mm because the 46 is just huge. But even the 42 is just too big, especially as far as thickness is concerned. Out of all the watches I've owned going back to the original Huawei Watch and LG G Watch R before that, this was by far the most annoying. Wearing it under a coat or long-sleeve shirt is just impossible, it's awkward, it's dumb and a huge design flaw for a wearable.
Then all the gushing about the battery life on the 46mm aside, the 42mm had only decent battery life. With always-on display you can barely manage a full day. It was enough, but nowhere near the 2~3 days they advertise with for this model. This wouldn't be a problem if the charger wasn't slow as shit, I am used to taking my watch off at night for an hour or so when I take a bath, this was enough to top up every smart watch I ever owned, but not the Samsung, it takes over 2 hours to charge from 30% to 100%. Unacceptable for a device you have to monitor you.
The app support is poor, but I did enjoy this watch the most for its functionality. The fitness tracking was decent enough, but the heart rate monitor was subpar, it was set to check every 10 minutes, but sometimes didn't check for hours at a time. Not sure if it just failed, or just straight up didn't do it. I did love the look and the navigation with the ring, the OS was tuned to it very well.

All in all, I gave up. I had to get an iPhone XR for development purporses anyways, so that gave me the oppertunity to go back to the Apple Watch. This thing is definitely Apple's ace in the hole. I know there are still some people that don't get smartwatches or fitness trackers, and all the power to them, but as far as I am concerned, the Apple Watch is doing the same thing in the wearable market that the iPad does in the tablet market. It outpaces the competition by such a big margin that it almost makes it seem like their product are synonymous with the entire sector.

There is no point in trying WearOS watches unless they have the new 3100.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/watch-reviews/fossil-sport-review/

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Even then, that chip seems slow and still seems to have bad battery life. Qualcomm really don't care about this market, Samsung and Apple's chips seem to be well ahead of this new 3100.

The only thing they said that could still see imporved performance was launching apps. All lag and stutters launching assistant and navigating the watch is gone now.

Also the Apple watch needs to be charged nightly just like this watch. I don't see how you can say this watch has bad battery unless you are only comparing to a Galaxy watch or fitbit.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The only thing they said that could still see imporved performance was launching apps. All lag and stutters launching assistant and navigating the watch is gone now.

Also the Apple watch needs to be charged nightly just like this watch. I don't see how you can say this watch has bad battery unless you are only comparing to a Galaxy watch or fitbit.
No, the Apple Watch only needs to be charged every other day, this is my experience and from what I can tell, pretty much everyone at least here on Era has the same experience. I think I laid out my experience with smart watches, but I am fairly confident that I am probably one of the most experienced people on this forum by sheer amount and diversity of wearables I have owned personally.

All I can go off here for this particular watch is the review, it is indeed stating launching apps still causes load times, something the other two do not have. And that battery life was down to half by 5PM, which is what you would expect from a 2014/15 wearable, not a 2018 one. Those are not small issues for me.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the Galaxy Watch paragraph was more than half of the post you initially quoted.

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of wearos... fossil has 30% off site wide with promo BLKFRIDAY.

i'm pondering if i should give the Sport a shot...

my galaxy watch is good, but the HR sensor is awful, doesn't work at all if I'm working out, and stepcounter has pauses.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know why you're so defensive about my experiences, but okay. Just for the record, I turn off AOD to extend battery life, I even turned on sleep mode (manually, couldn't be done automatically) at night. And yes, the Apple Watch lacks sleep tracking out of the box, which is something Apple needs to fix. But that's a very minor thing. I also don't really mind not having a AOD, which is why I prefer turning it off. Lift to wake is easy, your watch doesn't light up the entire room or street when it's somewhat dark, plus, I found I needed to lift my arm to see the time anyways when I was outside, because the AOD often was to dim in sunlight.

It's great if you want AOD, though, my experiences don't need to reflect yours or offend you.

But I do find the sleep tracking across any device to be rather poor, no matter if it's a third party app, or my Amazfit Bip (the Xiaomi Band 3 was surprisingly better at sleep tracking than the Bip, in the same app with the same sensors), or the Galaxy Watch. They often leave gaps, or are incorrect. Like the Amazfit would just randomly say I was awake for two hours in the middle of the night. The Galaxy Watch, for example, once ignored that I was up for 45 minutes because I had night support for work and was sat behind my desk fixing server issues (I guess this is related to the HR monitoring issues?). I feel there's some strides to be made there.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I miss the pebble, that was a great smartwatch
Righ now I have a fitbit blaze and as a smartwatch is awful, bad battery life, notifications barely works, music control is laggy
I just thinking in move to a smart band + regular watch

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The cheap $30 fitness bands are actually great. HR and blood pressure monitoring and 5-7 day battery life. The software apps for the cheap bands are very very shitty though.

Husker86

Oct 27, 2017
Go Garmin if you want fitness. I think Apple Watch is probably almost there, but not quite. Android Wear is just not even close.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
After the last WearOS update(version 2.0), my watch's battery lasts for much longer than a day. By the end of the day, I'm usually at 50%. Apparently version H will bring even better battery life, can't wait to try that out.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
A little bit old and not Android. But I spent last night watching people reacting to TheVerge building a PC. That vid was sooooo bad. Those outlets only good at reading PR statements in their good-looking video.
Enjoy

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pulled the trigger on a Google Home Hub. Should be here tomorrow, see how it goes.

Expecting to use it as a fancy alarm clock and can sleeply start Google Play Music to get me up in the morning and that's about it.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
So the Galaxy Watch got rid of Samsung Pay that was included in Gear S3? MST is a pretty amazing feature, sucks that they removed it.

Viva

Nov 1, 2017
Pulled the trigger on a Google Home Hub. Should be here tomorrow, see how it goes.

Expecting to use it as a fancy alarm clock and can sleeply start Google Play Music to get me up in the morning and that's about it.
You may already know but just in case I think there is a Black Friday discount coming up this week, expected 1/3 off

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The size is perfect... But whyyyyyyyy didn't they put the reader on the side/back
Sharp is dumb.

Is the rear fingerprint reader deemed inferior by most consumers? I've always felt it was the muuuuch better placement yet companies have spent how much r&d money on in-display fingerprint readers instead of just putting it on the rear. Even the Xperia XZ4 leaks appear to have moved it to an in-display one.