• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Android |OT| I called the death of 3.5mm

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Actually $50 more for the Pixel 3. Kinda sucks since I got my wife one with the Black Friday deal. Oh well.
Ah that's true. Although I think Project Fi had the Pixel 3 at $599 Black Friday also. Still in the return period though if she doesn't mind reordering. Or you could talk to google customer service and see if they can do something to credit you back the $50

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I got a Huawei P Smart today. Nothing wrong with my current phone (Moto G5) which i've had about 13 months but I fancied a change, and wanted something with NFC as i'm always forgetting my bank card. Cost me £99 refurbished (basically open box new) and its pretty nice. Great screen, solid premium build, camera seems good (in day light). Crazy the amount of phone you can get these days for such a low cost.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at what they're turning Hangouts into, it's becoming more of a Slack/Teams style product, so it's not a replacement for Allo at all. They're going to double down on rich messages it seems.

This is why people shit on Android. Google can't get its shit straight. Forever why I'll always avoid "stock" options.
Hopefully they'll kill GMail and keep Inbox, but I don't see it happening just because GMail is in by default.

Bastards.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at what they're turning Hangouts into, it's becoming more of a Slack/Teams style product, so it's not a replacement for Allo at all. They're going to double down on rich messages it seems.

Hopefully they'll kill GMail and keep Inbox, but I don't see it happening just because GMail is in by default.

Bastards.
Never used Inbox. I should try it out before they kill it.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I have one ongoing conversation going on in Hangouts, and one in Allo. I should move those over to the Google Messages app. Although I like seeing when the recipient sees my message in Allo, and I'm pretty sure Messages doesn't have that (yet?).
And depending on where you are in the world and what network you're on, it still might not!

Oct 26, 2017
I have one ongoing conversation going on in Hangouts, and one in Allo. I should move those over to the Google Messages app. Although I like seeing when the recipient sees my message in Allo, and I'm pretty sure Messages doesn't have that (yet?).
Only if both you and the other party are on one of a few devices on T-Mobile or a Pixel 3 on Verizon.

Oct 26, 2017
Why aren't they using the term RCS?
People don’t know what RCS is. The blog post discusses “upgrading SMS”. Ultimately it doesn’t matter if people call it as long as it works.

Most people outside of the USA also don't use SMS either
Once RCS rolls out, hopefully they’ll switch over. (Also, SMS is still bigger than Facebook Messenger/WhatsApp/Line/QQchat/etc. worldwide.)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Most people outside of the USA also don't use SMS either
I doubt Google even knows there's places outside of the USA.

I imagine there's a Google exec somewhere in charge of Google Maps that wonders why he can scroll so far past the east and west coast and then berates his subordinates for the millionth time for not fixing that bug yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
I don’t especially mind the big top and bottom bezels, given they have stereo front facing speakers, but the pricing on the XZ Compact line is just too high. It’s a massive premium for a slightly narrower phone (compared to actual Galaxy S or OnePlus pricing).

Damn, that's not a bad phone either if I remember right (not the greatest, but $99 is probably an amazing price). Only really bad thing I remember hearing about it was that the screen was really prone to scratching.
There’s a plastic cover over the display that’s “shatterproof” but easy to scratch. You can remove it with a little heat and/or rubbing alcohol and put on a glass screen protector instead. Doesn’t fix the mediocre-for-a-flagship camera, but it’s great for a $99 device. Too bad it’s locked to AT&T.

Oct 25, 2017

There's your small phone, big phone haters
You know Sony, you can still make a smaller phone that doesn't have huge bezels. They are going to have the same design on that line up phones for another 3 years. Then OEM is going to make a phone the same size as sony's with a 20% larger display and it will just look embarrassing for them.

Oct 25, 2017
There’s a plastic cover over the display that’s “shatterproof” but easy to scratch. You can remove it with a little heat and/or rubbing alcohol and put on a glass screen protector instead. Doesn’t fix the mediocre-for-a-flagship camera, but it’s great for a $99 device. Too bad it’s locked to AT&T.
Would it work on cricket since its an AT&T company?

Jul 22, 2018
People don’t know what RCS is. The blog post discusses “upgrading SMS”. Ultimately it doesn’t matter if people call it as long as it works.

Once RCS rolls out, hopefully they’ll switch over. (Also, SMS is still bigger than Facebook Messenger/WhatsApp/Line/QQchat/etc. worldwide.)
It actually started rolling out on Verizon today but only Pixel 3 so far. People tested cross carrier interop though and had a working RCS group chat with US Cellular, Verizion and Sprint