• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
This is clickbait bullshit, it's on the "places" tab...a tab I've never used on any Samsung phone I've used. And by the way it's on my Galaxy s10+ as well and it's not on the dialer pad or any other tab on the phone app.
It doesn't matter where it is. I'm paying you for a product, don't put a single fucking ad on it.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter where it is. I'm paying you for a product, don't put a single fucking ad on it.

Oh come on dude, like you've never bought a product that had an ad on it.

It's not intrusive at all, it's in a part of an app you will never use if this guy didn't tweet about it you wouldn't even notice.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Oh come on dude, like you've never bought a product that had an ad on it.

It's not intrusive at all, it's in a part of an app you will never use if this guy didn't tweet about it you wouldn't even notice.
It doesn't matter if I did or didn't.

It shouldn't be there. Period. I'm not a product, the thing I'm buying is.

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't matter if I did or didn't.

It shouldn't be there. Period. I'm not a product, the thing I'm buying is.

This! If you pay for a product you should not get annoyed with ads, simple as that, no matter if it is a "premium" product or a cheapass 150$ phone. Samsung also does this shit on their Smart-TVs, I am seriously annoyed with constantly having ads for Disney+ etc. in my goddamn menu as an additional item. As a consumer it is important to raise your voice against this.
If you take a look at e.g. Amazon you see that they offer their products in different versions, ad supported (cheaper) ones, and more expensive (ad-free) ones. If not communicated otherwise, all products should be free of advertisement.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's on the placs tab. a spot where you go to find nearby places.

you have to agree to the terms of service for it to even get ads.

here's my places tab for example.

CEGRxx2.jpg

i know, it's shocking, SHOCKING that this additional service needs to be opted in to...

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Carriers dropping the pixel series? Not good for google if true. They need to either make a real high end phone like they intended the pixel series to be (not just price wise, but also hardware), or focus on the midrange with a killer price.

www.androidpolice.com

Verizon may sell the Pixel 4a and 5 after all (Update and retraction)

Late last night, I posted a story claiming Verizon was closing up shop on its relationship with Google and the Pixel. As of this morning, I'm retracting

At the moment, they don't get either right with the pixel and pixel a series imo.

Oct 25, 2017
the pixel 4 xl I picked up a few weeks ago came with the launch security update lol.

Guess it was just sitting at best buy for a while.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pixel 4 is one of those flops a company doesn't really recover from. It's so bad T-Mobile cut prices in half after a few months and carriers are dropping it. It still won't change anything at Google.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
My contract expires in a week, and it's time to do the annual-ish "Do I want an upgrade or just a sim-only contract"?

I'm currently sitting on an S7 Edge, which I'm very content with (have had for something like three and a half years now, so it's pretty long-in-the-tooth). I think the answer on the surface is easy: I'd be quite content with sticking with this phone.

But, well, it is pretty long-in-the-tooth. I'm aware that the regular software updates have been bouncing between "quarterly" and "security only" for a bit (I think it's back on quarterly currently?), so I'm not sure how long those will be lasting. And I would like a bit more onboard storage, despite it having a nice big MicroSD card in there!

So this isn't just a question for now, but also a longer-term thought: If I *don't* upgrade now, contract length comes into play; in terms of what's expected to be on the horizon, am I better off looking again in six months? Twelve? Eighteen?

(In terms of requirements, I've been comfortable in general with "flagship model a year or two later"; I *think* these are standard for Galaxy-series models these days: I'd like waterproofing and mobile hotspot functionality that'll supports wifi -> wifi sharing (I believe at least some devices will only share a Wifi connection through Bluetooth)

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Pixel 4 is one of those flops a company doesn't really recover from. It's so bad T-Mobile cut prices in half after a few months and carriers are dropping it. It still won't change anything at Google.

If the sales really flounder, I can bet you it will change. It just may kill the Pixel, and I think that'll suck.

If they kill Pixel, I hope they focus on working directly with companies like Samsung, Motorola, OnePlus and so on to get the earliest possible security updates out as a result.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Google should have just bought Essential and put their design team to use. Outside of the camera, the PH-1 was a better phone than any Pixel phone Google has released.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
Didn't the Pixel 3a supposedly sell well? Google may be inadvertently pricing themselves back into mid-range after the Pixel 4 flop. Curious to see what the 4a looks like.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
ads been 'normal' since we started using 'free' software since... what the early 2000s?
Sure. Which we accepted because we know there's no such thing as free and the ads are just our way of paying for the product without paying for it.

But now we're justifying ads in our 1000+ USD TV's and phones with the same excuse. It's pretty weird that we're supposed to be okay with paying price hiked 1000+ phone prices and then add an extra payment in the form of ads as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Which we accepted because we know there's no such thing as free and the ads are just our way of paying for the product without paying for it.

But now we're justifying ads in our 1000+ USD TV's and phones with the same excuse. It's pretty weird that we're supposed to be okay with paying price hiked 1000+ phone prices and then add an extra payment in the form of ads as well.

thats the world we live in. pay extra for 5g so you can buffer ads faster.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Carriers dropping the pixel series? Not good for google if true. They need to either make a real high end phone like they intended the pixel series to be (not just price wise, but also hardware), or focus on the midrange with a killer price.

www.androidpolice.com

Late last night, I posted a story claiming Verizon was closing up shop on its relationship with Google and the Pixel. As of this morning, I'm retracting

At the moment, they don't get either right with the pixel and pixel a series imo.

Looks like this isn't true.

www.androidpolice.com

Late last night, we posted a story claiming Verizon was closing up shop on its relationship with Google and the Pixel. As of this morning, we're retracting that claim, because the previously reliable source from which we received it—a source that we know and trust, and provided information from a variety of contexts and sources—was incorrect. While we're unable to share more specific information, we have extremely good reason to believe that source was working with inaccurate, unreliable, or outdated information (or all three), which led to a conclusion which is not supported in reality.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I think i'll get a S10+ with 12GB RAM now. I still wanna use the headphone jack. Or should I look at a Note 10+?

To be honest, my S8+ is just fine. Heck, I'm still paying the Samsung care on this phone lol

Oct 25, 2017
I think i'll get a S10+ with 12GB RAM now. I still wanna use the headphone jack. Or should I look at a Note 10+?

To be honest, my S8+ is just fine. Heck, I'm still paying the Samsung care on this phone lol

12gb ram doesn't mean shit after one ui 2 messed up memory management at least for me. apps are reloading all the time on my note 10+.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The new Xperias have apparently leaked prior to their announcement later today. And yes, the headphone jack is back! Lol

I kinda dig the naming scheme borrowed from their camera lineup, which makes sense since the former head of their camera division is running the show for mobile. The 1 M2 looks pretty solid, I might give it some consideration to replace my XZ Premium later in the year.

androidnext.info

速報!Xperia 1 IIとXperia 10 IIの公式画像&公式スペックがリーク

先ほど正式名称が判明したとお伝えした2020年版新型Xperia、「Xperia 1 II」および「Xperia 10 II」。この情報のリーク直後に今度はこれら2モデルの公式画像およびスペックがリークされていました。Xperia 1 II

The Xperia 1 Mark II
ERd4-OBGW4-AAW2s-G-2.png

ERd4-OBHXYAA1d42-2.png

The Xperia 10 Mark II

ERd3g-THWAAAH3-Sy-1.png

ERd3g-TIXUAAUg-Vp.jpg

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
The new Xperias have apparently leaked prior to their announcement later today. And yes, the headphone jack is back! Lol

I kinda dig the naming scheme borrowed from their camera lineup, which makes sense since the former head of their camera division is running the show for mobile. The 1 M2 looks pretty solid, I might give it some consideration to replace my XZ Premium later in the year.

androidnext.info

速報!Xperia 1 IIとXperia 10 IIの公式画像&公式スペックがリーク

先ほど正式名称が判明したとお伝えした2020年版新型Xperia、「Xperia 1 II」および「Xperia 10 II」。この情報のリーク直後に今度はこれら2モデルの公式画像およびスペックがリークされていました。Xperia 1 II

The Xperia 1 Mark II
ERd4-OBGW4-AAW2s-G-2.png

ERd4-OBHXYAA1d42-2.png

The Xperia 10 Mark II

ERd3g-THWAAAH3-Sy-1.png

ERd3g-TIXUAAUg-Vp.jpg

Wow, that 1 M2 is a great looking phone!

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Is there any info about the graphene battery and when is it being released on Samsung phones ? This upgrade is the most thing I care about right now and I haven't held on buying new phone because of this.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony Xperia 1 Nobody Is Gonna Buy It Except A Guy Named Mark 2

My name isn't Mark 2 🤨

Lol, I really did want my next phone to have a flexible display but those are still way too iffy right now. My XZ Premium is still going strong so I'm not sure if I really wanna upgrade yet. If I do, the 1 Mk. II would be it.

Still holding out an itty bitty bit of hope that we'll see a cross collab between Xperia and Playstation at some point.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Definitely upgrading my Xperia 1 to Mark ||.

Having the headphone jack back is sweet, 4000mAh battery is something I have only dreamed of for my Sony phones and Wireless charging to boot.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely upgrading my Xperia 1 to Mark ||.

Having the headphone jack back is sweet, 4000mAh battery is something I have only dreamed of for my Sony phones and Wireless charging to boot.
Probably going to get 100h+ on GSM arena battery endurance.

Edit: wonder what's elite gaming lol

Zapages

Oct 28, 2017
My Note 4 has been doing random crashes lately... :\... So I was thinking of getting Samsung Note 9 , aka the last Note with the head phone jack. So I was wondering is the 512 GB one worth it with the extra RAM? If Swappa says it good condition vs mint? I always try to get mint condition phones on Swappa.

Also blue vs black? I'll be on AT&T as well.

Any advice would be appreciated here?

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
My Oneplus 5T has a massive battery drain issue again. A few weeks ago it was due to WhatsApp (fixed), now it's Chrome. I tried using the beta, deleting cache/storage, but still draining over 40% of my battery on average. Anyone else with this issue?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Everyone in 2020: We have to make a way to hide the front camera beneath the screen
No one, absolutely no on except Sony in 2020: BEZELS ARE THE FUTURE

No but seriously I love how they really don't give a fuck and considering things like utility and ergonomics when making their phones, its appreciated. The midranger like clockwork is complete shit for the asking price, but it should find its niche I would think.

Nah, Sony would have the decency at the very least to just make the flagships and cut out the mid range wholesale, LG is slapping their name on off shell phones now and its just slimy.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is right the notch and the O-displays are shit
The Mark 2 seems very good but my Note is still working and the thing I wanna change now is my laptop

And I also feel like my Note 9 is better than my Lenovo Yoga 720 in every way except the size of the screen

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm too thrilled about this Huawei P Smart 2019 phone I just bought. It's way too large for me, and the screen way too long. Makes the width too narrow when typing out messages. I also don't like plastic cause I don't use cases for my phone. Anyway, starting to think it'll be a temporary phone until I decide to pick up something like a Pocophone F2 later in the year, or maybe a Sony Xperia 1 II or Nokia 5.1. I like my phone small. I like my phones cheap or mid-range max. Oh well, at least I've gone from 16GB internal storage to 64GB which is a big relief, and now I also got NFC payment I guess. Responsiveness isn't that great either, many times I have to touch the screen twice for it to register.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
The Realme X50 Pro was announced earlier today in Madrid (and New Delhi):

www.youtube.com

realme X50 Pro Global Debut Online at 10am 24 Feb (GMT+1)

The wait is over. The #speedofthefuture #realmeX50Pro is gonna debut online globally at 10am, 24 Feb (GMT+1). Give me 5 if you are interested! #realme5GLearn...

www.youtube.com

Realme X50 Pro 5G First Impressions!

Realme has just announced the brand new Realme X50 Pro, which is a flagship phone packing in features like the new Snapdragon 865 5G chipset, 90Hz AMOLED, du...

Similar to the the Mi 10, prices have gone up. The base model (Snapdragon 865 - 8+128GB - 5G) now starts at €599.

Realme also moving into the IoT space, with wearables, a smart TV and a smart speaker among others.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I don't think I'm too thrilled about this Huawei P Smart 2019 phone I just bought. It's way too large for me, and the screen way too long. Makes the width too narrow when typing out messages. I also don't like plastic cause I don't use cases for my phone. Anyway, starting to think it'll be a temporary phone until I decide to pick up something like a Pocophone F2 later in the year, or maybe a Sony Xperia 1 II or Nokia 5.1. I like my phone small. I like my phones cheap or mid-range max. Oh well, at least I've gone from 16GB internal storage to 64GB which is a big relief, and now I also got NFC payment I guess. Responsiveness isn't that great either, many times I have to touch the screen twice for it to register.
Oof, that's as cheap as you can go. For that price if you don't want much outta a phone you could at least have gotten yourself a Redmi Note 8T. Huawei in the midrange is completely unreliable and isn't worth the asking price
The Realme X50 Pro was announced earlier today in Madrid (and New Delhi):

www.youtube.com

realme X50 Pro Global Debut Online at 10am 24 Feb (GMT+1)

The wait is over. The #speedofthefuture #realmeX50Pro is gonna debut online globally at 10am, 24 Feb (GMT+1). Give me 5 if you are interested! #realme5GLearn...

www.youtube.com

Realme X50 Pro 5G First Impressions!

Realme has just announced the brand new Realme X50 Pro, which is a flagship phone packing in features like the new Snapdragon 865 5G chipset, 90Hz AMOLED, du...

Similar to the the Mi 10, prices have gone up. The base model (Snapdragon 865 - 8+128GB - 5G) now starts at €599.

Realme also moving into the IoT space, with wearables, a smart TV and a smart speaker among others.
With the flagship market going north of 1K it was inevitable the One Plus rival market also going up in terms of price. Mid range isn't going to stick to 170-200€ for value for money either, until 5G becomes as common as 4G prices are gonna rise again for a while to 300€ for something worthwhile until it dips back down again.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that's as cheap as you can go. For that price if you don't want much outta a phone you could at least have gotten yourself a Redmi Note 8T. Huawei in the midrange is completely unreliable and isn't worth the asking price
The Huawei P9 Lite was cheap as well but it lasted me 3 years and has been one of my favorite phones. Wish they sold the Redmi here, but honestly, this P Smart was more of an impulse buy after I broke the P9 Lite.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
T
The Huawei P9 Lite was cheap as well but it lasted me 3 years and has been one of my favorite phones. Wish they sold the Redmi here, but honestly, this P Smart was more of an impulse buy after I broke the P9 Lite.
That's understandable, the P9 Lite comes from a time where the value for money market was absolute fire and you bought the phone based on that. Unfortunately things changed a lot since then, Xiaomi is the only one really making an effort for offering that kinda phone these days and Realme while on the up and up isn't really that big of a brand to compete on that level yet. Otherwise all the major companies have more or less segmented their products to hell and back with spec lists that look like a mix and match puzzle when comparing them and its a damn shame the market has regressed.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, market does seem to have changed that way.

I see that Amazon.de still sells the Huawei P10 Lite at €160 so that's definitely enticing. Or just the Pocophone F1 really, even though a new one comes out this year. I prefer that my backs aren't plastic though, so the P10 Lite would cover that.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah, market does seem to have changed that way.

I see that Amazon.de still sells the Huawei P10 Lite at €160 so that's definitely enticing. Or just the Pocophone F1 really, even though a new one comes out this year. I prefer that my backs aren't plastic though, so the P10 Lite would cover that.
From what I gather you're in Germany correct? Its a bit more upper market but for 227€ at tradingshenzen you can find the Mi 9 Lite. If you can afford it consider that for purchase, its absolutely worth it at that price. OLED, Sony IMX586 48MP main sensor and 32Mp front camera, SD710/6GB of Ram, and it's got the basic 3.5mm/micro sd/nfc feature set. The P10 lite at this point isn't worth it for that price.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
From what I gather you're in Germany correct? Its a bit more upper market but for 227€ at tradingshenzen you can find the Mi 9 Lite. If you can afford it consider that for purchase, its absolutely worth it at that price. OLED, Sony IMX586 48MP main sensor and 32Mp front camera, SD710/6GB of Ram, and it's got the basic 3.5mm/micro sd/nfc feature set. The P10 lite at this point isn't worth it for that price.
No, I'm in Scandinavia. I could just only find the P10L at that price at Amazon.de. I'll look into the Mi phones. Don't seem like they got the Mi9 Lite here though, but they do have that Redmi Note 8T. It just seems to be a plastic back again, and I drop my phones and don't want to worry about it breaking. I refuse to use cases. Where as the P10 Lite is made of solid materials.

Last edited: