• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why do you guys keep talking about the iPhone in an Android thread blah blah nonsense i contribute nothing but bother the OP anyway who contributes way more than me rabble rabble

Oct 25, 2017
k, chromebook plus is pretty legit for under $400. Runs smoother than my surface pro 3 for my needs lol. Android apps are funky though. playing with different things and i've hard froze the chromebook probably 8 times in the last few hours lol. Definitely needs better smart memory management and app killing... but at least this thing starts up super fast.

Feel like chromeOS is gonna be ridiculous in a year or 2 when android is all integrated properly (fushia?). Maybe then a $1000 chromebook makes sense.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
k, chromebook plus is pretty legit for under $400. Runs smoother than my surface pro 3 for my needs lol. Android apps are funky though. playing with different things and i've hard froze the chromebook probably 8 times in the last few hours lol. Definitely needs better smart memory management and app killing... but at least this thing starts up super fast.

Feel like chromeOS is gonna be ridiculous in a year or 2 when android is all integrated properly (fushia?). Maybe then a $1000 chromebook makes sense.
I've been waiting like 5 years to pick up a good Chromebook that's super cheap, like $300, but is quality build, like the Pixelbook. Still hasn't happened.

Really looking forward to Fuschia. I think it's pretty clear Android development has stalled. It's a rather mature OS. There's not much else I want, except proper backup options, like iOS has.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
My Pixel 2's battery isn't lasting as long as it should at this point.

And the battery settings isn't as good or clear as it used to be. The battery information labelled System says 86% next to it and that 38% is used by Phone. But I only had one 30 second call.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hey I wasn't really sure where else I could ask this but I'm facing a dilemma. Right now I'm rocking a Nexus 5X on Android 8.0 but my mother recently got a new phone and gave me her old Note 3. In terms of phone performance, would the extra gig of RAM on the Note 3 plus installing a custom ROM (like LineageOS) be or am I better off sticking with my Nexus 5X?

The RAM will help for sure, especially if you're a medium to heavy user. But using an older samsung phone is a strict no-no in my book, when even new flagships start slowing down within months of launch. Also depends on the battery life you're still getting out of your 5X, as it has mediocre battery optimization.

Personally, I would stay on the 5x with Oreo.

My Pixel 2's battery isn't lasting as long as it should at this point.

And the battery settings isn't as good or clear as it used to be. The battery information labelled System says 86% next to it and that 38% is used by Phone. But I only had one 30 second call.

I would assume that's the radio trying to find a signal.

You live in Australia after all. Are you on Vodafone? :P

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
well i guess i'll sit on my htc one m8 for a few more months and hope that rumored samsung mini comes true

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah i guess the m8 does have giant bezels. probably should have said the same dimensions as the m8 not screen size. i really hate the infinity display on that phone though.

well i can't imagine s9 mini not having a curved infinity display lol. that's the samsung flagship look these days sadly.

maybe look into the s8 active? not curved + giant battery.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Reposting this cause I didn't get a reply yesterday :p

For ages I've been thinking of upgrading from my iPhone 5S to the Xperia XZ1 Compact, because I like small phones, I'm a fan of the long battery life and I like the sound of all the audio enhancements - having an SD card slot helps too. But a while ago I was also looking at the Huawei P10 as a potential upgrade, and now with black friday deals it's essentially £100 cheaper than the XZ1 Compact, which is making me have second thoughts. Both would be a substantial upgrade over what I have now in most respects.

The P10 is older, but it seems better equipped for the price - it's still relatively small but has a 1080p screen (although the 720p screen on the XZ1 Compact doesn't really bother me), it still has an SD card slot, and I think it looks damn pretty too. From what I've seen of EMUI it looks fine to me as well. Thing is, I know that Sony is one of the best manufacturers for providing timely updates and support for their phones, so if I got the XZ1 Compact I know it'd definitely last me for a few years. Stock Android, again from what I've seen, seems to run more smoothly than EMUI does, however marginally. The stereo speakers on the Compact are nice, but they aren't a deal breaker for me because I don't often listen to audio on my phone through the speakers anyway. I have no idea what Huawei's customer support in the UK is like, which is a bit of a concern.

Obviously the P10 has a dual lens camera, but as either phone would give me a substantial improvement in image quality anyway, I'm not sure whether I care if one is better than the other if the differences are only marginal. I have heard things about Huawei using some weird video formatting which makes it not play nice with youtube and such - is this the case? I use Google Photos for backup, so would there be any issues with video format there?

Basically, which one is the better deal? Both seem like they're good phones, but a £100 price difference is nothing to sniff at. Does anyone have any experience with either? Bear in mind that because I'm in the UK the fingerprint sensor on the XZ1 works just fine, so that's not a caveat either.

(Also I kinda don't like using screen protectors and I've heard the P10 comes with one already equipped because they don't use oleophobic coating on the screen. Is this true?)

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Folks were wondering about the xiaomi mi a1 before. I've had one for a couple of weeks, and I'm very impressed with it.

It's well built, it comes with stock android that runs great on it. Strong battery life, and pretty fast charging. It's generally solid to use.

The mono speaker sounds pretty good, even at loud volumes. It's got a 3.5mm jack too, and it sounds good from my headphones. Nice big display, it's 1080p, but that's plenty good for me.

The fingerprint scanner is well placed, quick, and reliable.

The camera app isn't great (it's one of the only customisations, since it uses xiaomi's camera app). I hope it eventually gets improved, or I can use a similar one to the pixel one (I saw some people hack it on there, but it looks p complex, and it's not totally stable).

Because it's so slim, and the metal frame doesn't have the best grip, I think it's best with a case of some kind (I have ordered one). Physical home button would have been my preference, too. There's also no NFC, but I've never used that in my last two phones.

Great value for money, and it looks and feels like a phone that might have cost twice as much. Very little bezel down the sides, and comparable top and bottom bezels to an iphone 8 plus or similar.

I hope they deliver on the promise of getting updates for the two years. It's part of the Android One program, which means you get stock android, and a promise of updates from Google.

I gather it's exactly the same hardware as another xiaomi model, the mi 5x, so if you want their custom rom instead, you could go with that. I think you can also flash the other rom onto both these phones.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Pixel 2XL yesterday, all good except the fingerprint sensor goes through periods of just not working. Googled it and looks like others have it as well. Not sure how long to weather it out before returning

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to Samsung Note 8 tempered glass is there any brand better than the other? Or ones to avoid?
https://www.whitestonedome.com/products/

Only option. Everything else sucks. But this is pretty expensive.
Reposting this cause I didn't get a reply yesterday :p
Yep no coating on P10. Also don't expect timely updates but Huawei did promise they'd do better with their flagships.

DrFunk how's the mate 10 holding up? Worth me snagging one on ebay?

Also surprise twist. Oneplus 3 and 3t just got oreo stable.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.whitestonedome.com/products/

Only option. Everything else sucks. But this is pretty expensive.

Yep no coating on P10. Also don't expect timely updates but Huawei did promise they'd do better with their flagships.

DrFunk how's the mate 10 holding up? Worth me snagging one on ebay?

Also surprise twist. Oneplus 3 and 3t just got oreo stable.
I'm still trying to form an opinion on it, actually. There's nothing really mind blowing about - it's hardly any different from the Mate 9. Fast? Sure, but so was the Mate 9. It has the 1440p screen, but the dpi feels off. I had to go to developer options to make everything fit on-screen. EMUI is just like the Mate 9, despite it being 'version' 8.

Camera is good. Right under the XL2 imo.

Just...eh. if you can find it for 600-650, I say go for it, but anything more is kind of a waste because there's hardly any iteration.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to form an opinion on it, actually. There's nothing really mind blowing about - it's hardly any different from the Mate 9. Fast? Sure, but so was the Mate 9. It has the 1440p screen, but the dpi feels off. I had to go to developer options to make everything fit on-screen. EMUI is just like the Mate 9, despite it being 'version' 8.

Camera is good. Right under the XL2 imo.

Just...eh. if you can find it for 600-650, I say go for it, but anything more is kind of a waste because there's hardly any iteration.

is memory management still super aggressive? I remember music apps just stopped when I took a picture on the mate 9 lol.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
is memory management still super aggressive? I remember music apps just stopped when I took a picture on the mate 9 lol.
It's a little better. No app reloads but it hitches when switching apps. I think it needs more polish. It's going back tomorrow

Oh and it does the slight pause when playing music and taking a pic

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I hope the Mate 10 Pro comes out in the US by January. I don't want to get one and the MWC phones come out.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll stick with the XZ1 Compact like I was originally planning - Sony haven't shown off any deals yet, so I suppose I could end up getting it for less than £500.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my Nexus 5x appears to have died. Hangs on the 'Android' splash screen and then just dies. Looking online it appears this is a known issue, and not particurlarly fixable. Glad the phone lasted two years or I would be pissed.

So where I live I can't buy phones, so my trip to the US from Dec 1st - 5th is pretty spectacularly well timed. I have to get a new phone then.

So what's the recommendation for someone who
-Must buy prepaid
-Uses his phone mainly for MyFitnesspal, emails and listening to music with my favourite headphones
-Wants smaller bezels
-Loved stock android on the 5x
-Loved the fingerprint scanner and it's location
-Doesn't care as much about best screen quality or huge battery life
-Doesn't care hugely about camera quality as I have a DSLR I use when I want to take good shots (but I still care to some degree)
-Needs a reliable phone as there are no returns / customer service where I live at all - like Rocky "If it dies, it dies"

Looking around it feels like the Pixel 2 XL, LG V30 and Samsung Galaxy S8 are my best bets. Are all of these phones available to buy (in store or delivery) during the time frame I'll be in the states? What's the recommendation? If the Pixel 2 XL had a headphone jack it would be such an easy call, imo.

Also, I got my Nexus 5x for like $450 or thereabouts. It's crazy that the Pixel 2 (small version) looks like the exact same phone yet costs $200 more. You'd think either the design would have advanced more or the price would have stayed similar, one or the other. I guess maybe the Nexus 5x was a crazy good deal back then?

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Also, I got my Nexus 5x for like $450 or thereabouts. It's crazy that the Pixel 2 (small version) looks like the exact same phone yet costs $200 more. You'd think either the design would have advanced more or the price would have stayed similar, one or the other. I guess maybe the Nexus 5x was a crazy good deal back then?
If you ignore the overheating, subsequent poor performance and reliability due to overheating then sure!

Kinda facetious as pretty all 808/810 phones suffered from overheating to a varying degree

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you ignore the overheating, subsequent poor performance and reliability due to overheating then sure!

Kinda facetious as pretty all 808/810 phones suffered from overheating to a varying degree

I have no idea about any of this, or what 808 / 810 means. Just looking for advice as a user.

But were those reasons really why the Nexus 5x was such a good deal back then? I had no idea. Is that a potential reason my phone failed?

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea about any of this, or what 808 / 810 means. Just looking for advice as a user.

But were those reasons really why the Nexus 5x was such a good deal back then? I had no idea. Is that a potential reason my phone failed?
In short Google realized they could charge people iphone prices for nexus phones so they doing that now.

Not particularly easy to get unlocked phones in retail in the US. Amazon would be your best bet.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind you're gonna be getting a USA phone model.

So IDK where you live, but you need to make sure it has the supported bands in your country of origin so you actually get service.

Top phones I'd suggest would be the Moto G5 Plus, Moto X, GS S8, or Pixel 2.

Juxtapozed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm coming to the point where my 6S is no longer worth using as it isn't providing good battery life. And the iPhone 8/X aren't appealing as alternatives having been on iOS for 18 months.

On android I'm looking for a combination of good battery life (get easily through a day), a phone not too large to handle and smooth performance on android. I've come down to Pixel 2, Oneplus 5 (even 5T) and at a push the S8 as I'm not a fan of glass phones and having seen wife's S7, the Samsung software seems laggy and it's only a year old.

So, having said that, would anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the phone to go for based on the above? Any other phones happily considered!

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my Nexus 5x appears to have died. Hangs on the 'Android' splash screen and then just dies. Looking online it appears this is a known issue, and not particurlarly fixable. Glad the phone lasted two years or I would be pissed.

So where I live I can't buy phones, so my trip to the US from Dec 1st - 5th is pretty spectacularly well timed. I have to get a new phone then.

So what's the recommendation for someone who
-Must buy prepaid
-Uses his phone mainly for MyFitnesspal, emails and listening to music with my favourite headphones
-Wants smaller bezels
-Loved stock android on the 5x
-Loved the fingerprint scanner and it's location
-Doesn't care as much about best screen quality or huge battery life
-Doesn't care hugely about camera quality as I have a DSLR I use when I want to take good shots (but I still care to some degree)
-Needs a reliable phone as there are no returns / customer service where I live at all - like Rocky "If it dies, it dies"

Looking around it feels like the Pixel 2 XL, LG V30 and Samsung Galaxy S8 are my best bets. Are all of these phones available to buy (in store or delivery) during the time frame I'll be in the states? What's the recommendation? If the Pixel 2 XL had a headphone jack it would be such an easy call, imo.

I know they're not as popular in the states but don't overlook the new Nokia phones.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Some of you guys might know that I dislike stock Android. I still don't like it! I don't see what so good about it. Im always trying to find certain functions and then realize that only oem has those functions.

But yeah, Razer phones battery is awesome, I have no idea how certain review says it not good, It doesn't even make sense cause it a huge battery. They can say the the screen is power hungry, um suuure.....I easily get over 8hr SOT leaving it 120hz on all the time.

I receive a camera update from Razer and added a few other feature, still garbage.

The DAC dongle it came with is awesome! It even makes iPhone earbuds sounds better. Device sounded better than a V20 that I had.

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
stock android is still the most visually consistent of all the skins. using this lg g6 is like jumping back and forth between marshmallow and gingerbread