• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I'm half tempted to look into swapping the Mate 10 Pro that I've just bought for a Pixel 2 XL.

For all the praise regarding the Mate camera, it just doesn't seem that great to me. Not sure actually any better than the Honor 9. Pictures are either blurry or overly sharp, very few where I look and think they'e great.

On the other hand, there's still talk of XL 2 issues.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the Google Pay name change, seems like Google smartly decided to stop promoting Android as a brand. The Pixel 2 phone website only has one match for Android and it's in a small print footnote. Android Pay never made any sense.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Looks like razor is actually serious about their phone. It will support HDR and 5.1 surround on Netflix, I guess I stick to it a lil longer.
They did promise a camera improvement update...

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw they showed off some laptop shell concept for it as well, with an in-built battery and the phone able to be used as a second screen/trackpad depending on what's being used.

I wouldn't get one that big, but I do most of my casual word processing on my Pixel C these days, so if they could have a concept like that with a smaller footprint, I'd be on board.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope tomorrow will my long smartwatch journey end. Pebble was awesome, but LG G Watch, G Watch R, Moto 360, Huawei Watch and ZeTime were all shit. Android Wear is bad, I won't buy any watch with that anytime soon. Does Google know anything about "watches" and uses?
Getting the Gear S3 Frontier tomorrow, can't wait and believe that this watch is called way better than anything AW related.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope tomorrow will my long smartwatch journey end. Pebble was awesome, but LG G Watch, G Watch R, Moto 360, Huawei Watch and ZeTime were all shit. Android Wear is bad, I won't buy any watch with that anytime soon. Does Google know anything about "watches" and uses?
Getting the Gear S3 Frontier tomorrow, can't wait and believe that this watch is called way better than anything AW related.
*hi-5*

Oct 25, 2017
mate 10 pro launches mid feb. $800. $1200ish for the porsche one (basically a decal and memory doubled to 256, still same 6gb ram).

$150 giftcard at retailers on preorder.

Not a terrible price if you count the giftcard... but 1080p screen and maybe ties to china government that even the gov is spooked.

Mush

Nov 1, 2017
When does Samsung generally announce their new Tablets? I'm looking at getting an S2 but I just want to know if there will be a new flagship announced soon that will replace it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When does Samsung generally announce their new Tablets? I'm looking at getting an S2 but I just want to know if there will be a new flagship announced soon that will replace it.

Technically, it was already replaced with the S3, but that only does 9.7". The S2 was released in 2015 and the S3 in 2017. Seems to be a 2 year cycle.

EDIT: It only has a Snapdragon 652? It wasn't even flagship elected on release.... I'd try before you buy. I wouldn't be shocked if that thing chugs.

There's an Exynos version too using cut down 2015 Exynos chips, but that one only goes to Marshmallow while the Snapdragon goes up to Nougat.

Last edited:

Mush

Nov 1, 2017
Technically, it was already replaced with the S3, but that only does 9.7". The S2 was released in 2015 and the S3 in 2017. Seems to be a 2 year cycle.

EDIT: It only has a Snapdragon 652? It wasn't even flagship elected on release.... I'd try before you buy. I wouldn't be shocked if that thing chugs.
Don't really want to fork out that much for a tablet if I can help it hence I thought the S2 might be a decent compromise. If there was a smaller version of the S3 I'd be all over it.

I just need something I can study with and maybe play a little Hearthstone from time to time. If there's anything else out there that would do the job I'm all ears. I guess I could just get an iPad but I'd prefer to stick to Android devices.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really want to fork out that much for a tablet if I can help it hence I thought the S2 might be a decent compromise. If there was a smaller version of the S3 I'd be all over it.

I just need something I can study with and maybe play a little Hearthstone from time to time. If there's anything else out there that would do the job I'm all ears. I guess I could just get an iPad but I'd prefer to stick to Android devices.

Ah cool, because you were mentioning flagships, I thought you might be grabbing it thinking it's better than it is. If you can get it cheap, it's probably a good budget device.

The only other 8" I'd look at that is more powerful is the Huawei MediaPad M3.

Mush

Nov 1, 2017
Ah cool, because you were mentioning flagships, I thought you might be grabbing it thinking it's better than it is. If you can get it cheap, it's probably a good budget device.

The only other 8" I'd look at that is more powerful is the Huawei MediaPad M3.
Doesn't look like it's available here in NZ :(

Dec 4, 2017
The SD652 does chug a bit, at least after going updating to Nougat on my Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus. It just feels a bit less... snappy than on Marshmallow.

Unfortunately, the only high-ish end Android tablet is the Galaxy Tab S3 9.7. Everything else is either SD652 or lower.
And none of the 8-something-inch tablets have decent specs. Gone are the days of the Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact ;_;

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Pulling the trigger soon on a Note 8 for my wife, who's notorious for dropping her phone/cracking her screen. Any super great case I can put on it that'll keep it safe without adding too much heft?

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I sold my Oneplus 3t for 250€ ... and there's a Oneplus 5 for 320 €
Me thinking that I could use the 1+5 and see what the sd845's phones have to offer

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The SD652 does chug a bit, at least after going updating to Nougat on my Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus. It just feels a bit less... snappy than on Marshmallow.

Unfortunately, the only high-ish end Android tablet is the Galaxy Tab S3 9.7. Everything else is either SD652 or lower.
And none of the 8-something-inch tablets have decent specs. Gone are the days of the Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact ;_;

Yeah, the Tegra X in the Pixel C is still working great, it's a shame it didn't get adopted as widely in tablets. Also a goddamn shame NVidia themselves didn't do a Tegra X variant of the SHIELD tablet.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
So are user reviews for the Pixel2 pretty negative then?

All the reviews I've read/watched on youtube from tech people seem to really like them, but then actually reading reviews from users and they seem much more mixed

My S7 battery has went to shit recently (and it's only 18 months old), so I'm looking at a new phone, but nothing really stands out among Android devices atm for me

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

All the reviews I've read/watched on youtube from tech people seem to really like them, but then actually reading reviews from users and they seem much more mixed

My S7 battery has went to shit recently (and it's only 18 months old), so I'm looking at a new phone, but nothing really stands out among Android devices atm for me

Not taking cost into account, it's the best Android phone you can buy. Keep wishing I got it over this S8+.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a great phone but overpriced. Value wise, the Essential is the best since it's like $200. Check Slickdeals.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I'm in the UK - its on sale here for around £500 at the moment. I could probably get it cheaper with the cost spread out over a 24 month contract too. Thats the best option then?

This is for the normal pixel2 btw, the XL looks nice but I don't trust LG with anything really lol, not had good experiences with them in the past

edit: oh and thanks for the replies!

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the UK - its on sale here for around £500 at the moment. I could probably get it cheaper with the cost spread out over a 24 month contract too. Thats the best option then?

This is for the normal pixel2 btw, the XL looks nice but I don't trust LG with anything really lol, not had good experiences with them in the past

Have you considered the Note 8? That's a great choice IMO.

Oct 25, 2017

The pixel 2 seems to be better regarded out of the two models. I mean the only thing you can hold against it is the price at launch, and the bezels are huge.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're fucked and I literally have the exact same use case as you.

Regular iPad shits all over anything else you can get cause nobody cares about tablets in the Android space.

Are you in our Hearthstone Reset Discord? If not PM me!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Pulling the trigger soon on a Note 8 for my wife, who's notorious for dropping her phone/cracking her screen. Any super great case I can put on it that'll keep it safe without adding too much heft?
I've always been a fan of Spigen cases.

For Samsung and Apple phones they usually have a wide range of cases from lighter ones, heavy duty ones, and ones in the middle.

I think my preferred type they sell is the Neo Hybrid, whatever one has a rubber interior with a hard shell that goes around the edge. I dropped my S7 Edge more than a few times and it never cracked on me (but I've never had a phone break or crack a screen, so maybe im more careful than most people.

Oct 25, 2017

Regular iPad shits all over anything else you can get cause nobody cares about tablets in the Android space.

Yeah I'm going to end up getting an iPad this year. There's just no competition for me worth considering. Just wish that the Pro model wasn't so expensive, or Apple release a mid tier tablet, as I don't like some of the corners cut on the £300 model.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just shove an X2 in the Pixel C shell with a 120hz screen and keep it compatible with the keyboard and I'll buy it. Google pls.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Umm...I got an lg v30 for cheap....

It's soo light, makes the razer phone feel like a brick.

Screen looks slightly better than a pixel 2 xl, comes with a very cool blue tint filter at an angle..

LG wins ugliest UI
Back camera is very decent.
Front camera is garbage, makes everyone looks like Majin Buu.
Performs just fine but the xperia xz premium performs better.
Battery is seem to last quite long, how is that possible? Seem to last longer than the razer, running the same apps....

Should I have bought a note 8?...got it it pretty cheap though..like a couple hundred less..

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Axon being shown behind closed doors at CES. Could be called 8 or 9.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Just got a Xiaomi mi A1, after a couple of days I'm blown away, doubt there is a better phone for a little over 200 euros.

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umm...I got an lg v30 for cheap....

It's soo light, makes the razer phone feel like a brick.

Screen looks slightly better than a pixel 2 xl, comes with a very cool blue tint filter at an angle..

LG wins ugliest UI
Back camera is very decent.
Front camera is garbage, makes everyone looks like Majin Buu.
Performs just fine but the xperia xz premium performs better.
Battery is seem to last quite long, how is that possible? Seem to last longer than the razer, running the same apps....

Should I have bought a note 8?...got it it pretty cheap though..like a couple hundred less..
Eh, you can get a Note8 after you're bored of the V30. Samsung isn't going anywhere.

https://youtu.be/2Jhto1-gfMM

Vivo showing off under screen fps.

Seems slightly slower
Can't wait to get my OnePlus 6 with this thing

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah I'm going to end up getting an iPad this year. There's just no competition for me worth considering. Just wish that the Pro model wasn't so expensive, or Apple release a mid tier tablet, as I don't like some of the corners cut on the £300 model.

I have an iPad Pro and a Pixel C and I use the Pixel C way more still tbh. iOS is... horrible to use at this point, and the lack of proper file access, easy bluetooth file transfer to Android (so no Airdrop) and in-app purchases in the likes of Comixology and other media apps kills me.

Mush

Nov 1, 2017

;_;

But I don't want to fork out for apps I've already paid for. I don't want an iOS device when I already have a Android phone.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
On this subject, are there any (high end) phones out recently / coming out that are around this sort of size?

S8 and Essential Phone. I think most everything else in that size range is mid level performance.

Edit: people VASTLY overestimate how easy it is to switch ecosystems or to have multi-ecosystem households, especially when you purposely avoid ecosystem lockdown. I ONLY use services that are universal/standard/cross platform and so switching between devices and platforms is easy and I do it regularly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ResetPLATINUM™

(Actually, as soon as I made that post I realised that the only apps I've paid for were for chump change but still, the inconvenience irks me).
Ha, yeah. I think people feel locked into an ecosystem but really, they're not. It's just a feeling these companies make you feel. There's certainly some inconvenience and headache so I don't blame you for not wanting to do it. But if you did want to do it, it's not too bad.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I tried the Gear S3 Frontier for a day, I really like it. It's just so much better than Andoid Wear that it's not funny anymore. The only thing I'm missing is a LifX control app. Love the bezel control. And the wireless charging is just the only way to do it right on watches (I'm looking at YOU, Huawei Watch charging shit). Good Bluetooth connection on my Pixel 2 XL, so no problems there. It's just a shame Samsung keeps some features for their own phones. Still the best watch I had until today (except for the Pebble, RIP best smartwatch).

And now it's time for the big boss battle, getting the Fitbit Ionic tomorrow and will decide. It's a good platform and only opened the store recently and released the SDK. Can't wait for the battle, a watch on every arm :D