• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, yeah. I think people feel locked into an ecosystem but really, they're not. It's just a feeling these companies make you feel. There's certainly some inconvenience and headache so I don't blame you for not wanting to do it. But if you did want to do it, it's not too bad.

Well most apps are cross platform, not all but most. Though there's more lockin on the Apple side. Of course even with cross platform apps there's repurchasing to do.

Its kind of hard for me to judge though, as I was a long term ipad/android phone user so when I recently grabbed a used iPhone I already had bought a bunch of the apps I might have had to rebuy (or buy in the case of android apps not on iOS).

That said I feel much more of the ecosystem lockin on services. Thats the reason I never bought a Windows Phone, and that was part of the vicious cycle of few and and few users.

That also played a role in me not switching to an Android tablet at some point. I certainly wanted to.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
So there are five or six sites that I regularly visit multiple times a day on chrome on my phone. The main way I do this is to open a new tab and chrome just has those 8 icons for frequently visited sites.

Facebook and Twitter, big surprise, are probably the sites out of those eight I tap the most, but chrome still regularly removes them from my list of eight and replaces them with a site I've been to like once. Wtf? It's so annoying.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This user was warned: Please refrain from engaging in console warrior rhetoric when discussing phones.

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
So there are five or six sites that I regularly visit multiple times a day on chrome on my phone. The main way I do this is to open a new tab and chrome just has those 8 icons for frequently visited sites.

Facebook and Twitter, big surprise, are probably the sites out of those eight I tap the most, but chrome still regularly removes them from my list of eight and replaces them with a site I've been to like once. Wtf? It's so annoying.

Is there a reason you don't use apps for social media instead?

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nexus2cee_s9box.png

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the stereo speaker thing is like the Pixel 2 implementation of a bottom speaker and then using the earpiece rather than front facing awesomeness. But hell, anythings better than the piddly little shit at the bottom of an S8.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Is the official term for "Front Facing Camera" now definitely changed to "Selfie Camera"

Because Jesus lets not.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not super technical but it seems that it IS sending data from the clipboard to China, even if it's not the entire contents:

"TL:DR Smart Clipboard trying to analyse your clipboard content by sending request to alibaba matching againt Taobao links"

4gb ram? How? Didn't they notice the performance improvements on the note 8 with more RAM?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm guessing the stereo speaker thing is like the Pixel 2 implementation of a bottom speaker and then using the earpiece rather than front facing awesomeness. But hell, anythings better than the piddly little shit at the bottom of an S8.
Is it as bad as the sound quality on the S7? Utterly awful.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just flabbergasted. That's unacceptable for a 2018 phone. As much at the s8 was an incredible response to the note 7 fiasco, this seems like a major blunder. Playing it so safe could be the opening that HTC and LG need.

Actually it seems to be samsung experience 8.5 that offered more of the performance boost.

People been praising the performance of samsung experience 9/oreo on the s8.

4gb ram is low but at least it seems to be an option for the plus

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
Actually it seems to be samsung experience 8.5 that offered more of the performance boost.

I have S8 Oreo, the performance does seem to be better (could be placebo) but things like app reload and tab reload is still an issue, and RAM can help with that. That's a big part of what makes a phone feel snappy. 4GB ram is going to prove highly inadequate for an Android flagship in 2018, I feel fairly confident in making that statement.

Oct 25, 2017
I have S8 Oreo, the performance does seem to be better (could be placebo) but things like app reload and tab reload is still an issue, and RAM can help with that. That's a big part of what makes a phone feel snappy. 4GB ram is going to prove highly inadequate for an Android flagship in 2018, I feel fairly confident in making that statement.
Agreed been complaining about this for my p2xl for a while coming from op5

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That still mostly happens on the Note 8 to the same degree. It's more aggressive battery management than a lack of RAM. Even using Chrome, there's usually a GB going free.

I wouldn't turn down more RAM, but on a Samsung, I doubt you'll see a huge amount of difference.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
That still mostly happens on the Note 8 to the same degree. It's more aggressive battery management than a lack of RAM. Even using Chrome, there's usually a GB going free.

I wouldn't turn down more RAM, but on a Samsung, I doubt you'll see a huge amount of difference.

I get that, and I agree that Samsung will just find a way to put more bloat and minimize the impact of more RAM, but I think the Note 8 was winning some of those youtube speed tests at least partially on the back of the added RAM.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tuned by AK

nah.

the RAM difference is real.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Any links or sources?

I'm wondering what kind of life it would bring to my Exynos S7 edge, which has ran well during my entire time of owning it

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Sony flagships are still beasts on 4 GB of RAM. They got their shit down. The just need to stop fucking on their camera and make sure they have a good fingerprint solution ready.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Essential owners, thoughts?

Aside from the hardware, every other aspect of my Essential Phone experience has been about frustration. Mostly, it boils down to horrendous software stability and performance. Despite dozens of updates and the anecdotes you may have seen that indicate performance issues have been "fixed," it most certainly hasn't. The Essential Phone is handily outperformed by a Moto G5, and that's just unacceptable — at $699, for sure, but at $499 as well.

https://www.androidcentral.com/essential-phone-review-four-months

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017

My Essential outperforms the Moto G4 Plus I had, and it's snappier than the LG G6 I picked up on the cheap. The only thing I don't like is touch response near the edge/sides sometimes don't register, and the camera after all the updates are average at best.

It' a great stock Android experience that doesn't lag, has a great screen, great battery life, and charges quickly (faster than the LG G6 fast charging). I still wouldn't buy it at the original $700 (lol) price, but the under $200 price I did get it makes it a great buy. I think if it sold for under $400 from the get go it would have been a solid choice.

I don't have any issues with instability or anything like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Essential is still the best looking phone atm.

Makes iPhone x look like amateur hour.

Shame of the touch lag and horrid Vibration motor

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Member warned for needless aggression towards another poster.
Why are you digging up articles from like three weeks ago. Oh, that's right it's AJ

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Sony flagships are still beasts on 4 GB of RAM. They got their shit down. The just need to stop fucking on their camera and make sure they have a good fingerprint solution ready.

I don't know what kind of witchcraft sony did with the XZ premium, but that thing never lag or had any hiccups - I don't even know what the reboot screen looks/sound like, cause I never had to restart it.

I think it performs better than the razer phone and lg v30.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you digging up articles from like three weeks ago. Oh, that's right it's AJ
I recommend the Essential all the time here. I'd like to know if I'm wrong in doing so.

My Essential outperforms the Moto G4 Plus I had, and it's snappier than the LG G6 I picked up on the cheap. The only thing I don't like is touch response near the edge/sides sometimes don't register, and the camera after all the updates are average at best.

It' a great stock Android experience that doesn't lag, has a great screen, great battery life, and charges quickly (faster than the LG G6 fast charging). I still wouldn't buy it at the original $700 (lol) price, but the under $200 price I did get it makes it a great buy. I think if it sold for under $400 from the get go it would have been a solid choice.

I don't have any issues with instability or anything like that.
Good to hear. If I could grab one for $200, I would.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The Xperia Z3 Compact was a god tier phone. I have to admit though that the Galaxy S camera has spoiled me. Everything is lining up where Sony can finally deliver this year. The only question is whether the I would be swayed into getting a Galaxy S9+ or One Plus 6 before we get good Xperia leaks. I'm not waiting until September if that's what Sony is shooting for. If I find myself some how waiting then it will be between the Note 9 and Sony's flagship and if the Note 9 has that in screen FP sensor, it's game over there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The essential honestly has felt like what the z3 needed as a successor(minus sd card, but 128 gigs and otg, so not even mad)

Hopefully Sony gets on that sharp edgeless game for their next round, I miss the little software additions sony had (stay awake on raise/proper ambient sensor(fucking aosp)/sketch screenshot app).

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Sony in general has solid software optimizations across the board, their ram management and battery endurance ratings are some next level black magic shit. Its why I am really curious about the XA2 and XA2 Ultra, their predecessors managed above average times for battery life with sub 2500mAh batteries and mediatek chips, rivalling phones with 625s and ~3500mAh batteries. Sony Optimization+SD630+3300mAh Battery, I dunno if we are ready for the results of such a marriage.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to buy a phone with a garbage or mediocre camera, so that rules out Sony phones. Plus their design is super dated. Too many compromises.

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was using an iphone x last night. What a waste of space that notch is.

Then I had to watch someone use faceid to pay with it. I don't understand how that is better than touch id.

Yjynx

Alt-Account.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to buy a phone with a garbage or mediocre camera, so that rules out Sony phones. Plus their design is super dated. Too many compromises.
I really like the new design of Sony XA2. SD630 + 3300ma + 23mp dedicated camera button - sounds really2 good to me.

I'm all ear for any other recommendations for midrange phone though.

Note: For Any recommended Phone, the design is a huge factor for consideration.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP5T really made things harder for other flagships offering 128GB and 8GB RAM on a £500 price tag.