• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
The Honor V10 is 128GB(and MicroSD)/6GB for 499€

Tomorow I'm gonna buy it, instead of the 5t, because I can walk in my local store I buy one
And the Honor V10 is like 160€ cheaper than the LG V30, I can grab a DragonflyRed with that money ... so sorry LG maybe next time

Oct 25, 2017
The Honor V10 is 128GB(and MicroSD)/6GB for 499€

Tomorow I'm gonna buy it, instead of the 5t, because I can walk in my local store I buy one
And the Honor V10 is like 160€ cheaper than the LG V30, I can grab a DragonflyRed with that money ... so sorry LG maybe next time
Also expandable memory and larger battery.

Honor is a bit slow with updates though

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the new design of Sony XA2. SD630 + 3300ma + 23mp dedicated camera button - sounds really2 good to me.

I'm all ear for any other recommendations for midrange phone though.

Note: For Any recommended Phone, the design is a huge factor for consideration.

If people are going to hide them behind cases I do wonder why chassis design matters that much.

I actually like Sony's traditional square design though. I liked that about the Robin and the Razer too. The rounded sides of the xa2 is interesting. I imagine some though, even on a non flagship phone, are discounting any phone that is not small bezels. Especially if they don't have a front fingerprint reader button to justify it at the bottom.

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
So I was using an iphone x last night. What a waste of space that notch is.

Then I had to watch someone use faceid to pay with it. I don't understand how that is better than touch id.

Well...one argument is activating your phone in cold weather. Not needing to take gloves off and validate your fingerprint. Though you'd need to interact with your phone unless you use voice controls.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
Well...one argument is activating your phone in cold weather. Not needing to take gloves off and validate your fingerprint. Though you'd need to interact with your phone unless you use voice controls.

Why not have both options?! Samsung and OnePlus have facial/Iris recognition in addition to fingerprint.

DrFurbs

Dec 16, 2017
Guys I have a problem. I recently changed the battery in my Nexus 6p for allegedly a new one. I went from 12 hours charges back to 22 hour days on the replacement battery. The new battery is only 8 months old and now I'm back to 9-12 hour days.

Highly suspicious!

I'm thinking of a LG V6 as a replacement. What are my other options. I want something not overly large, fast and looks ok.

Thanks so much.

D

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
If I went for the Xperia XA2, would that be a downgrade from the Xperia X?

The X is a SD650 and the XA2 is SD630, i recently discovered SD have now made two separate tiers in their 600 series SoCs.

Why must everything be complicated?

I'll probably just hold off and see what their new flagships will be like. The X is getting Oreo at some point, and they still keep reasonable security updates for it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
If I went for the Xperia XA2, would that be a downgrade from the Xperia X?

The X is a SD650 and the XA2 is SD630, i recently discovered SD have now made two separate tiers in their 600 series SoCs.

Why must everything be complicated?

I'll probably just hold off and see what their new flagships will be like. The X is getting Oreo at some point, and they still keep reasonable security updates for it.
Not really no. Its more of a sidestep really then an upgrade, the XA2 is basically a souped up X at a much cheaper price, like all technology it just trickled down. You'd be better off buying a flagship like you said, or wait for the XZ1 to have its price lowered.

Edit: I kinda just realized that the midrange has been stagnant as fuck, the 625 completely tanked performance and marked up the price of 650 phones for no reason what so ever, before it the 650 could be found in 200 euro phones, and lately you see it in 350+$/€ phones, same with the 660.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Did someone say "OnePlus"?

"A poll was posted on the OnePlus forum on Thursday asking users if they had noticed fraudulent charges on the credit cards since purchasing items on the OnePlus site. More than 70 respondents confirmed that they had been affected, with the majority saying they had bought from the site within the past 2 months. Many of them also detailed their experience in posts on the same thread, and others took to a thread on Reddit to report facing the same issue as the community began to speculate about how this could have happened."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...ts-credit-card-fraud-buying-companys-website/

Last edited:

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
It's rumored that LG is redesigning the G7.

Jo Seong-jin, vice chairman and CEO of LG Electronics, has ordered a revision of the company's upcoming premium phone, tentatively called the "G7," possibly pushing its launch to April.

According to a company official who asked for anonymity, the G7 smartphone team of the company's mobile communications business was told to halt recent work related to development of the newest phone, and to review the new product from scratch.
"Right after the vice chairman made the announcement at the Consumer Electronics Show last week, a direct order was sent down to the working-level officials to start over," the official told The Korea Herald.

"A new decision on a possible launch date will be released around the Lunar New Year holiday next month," he said. The smartphone was initially expected to be unveiled at the end of February and launched in March.

http://www.theinvestor.co.kr/view.php?ud=20180115000937

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I had to get a new router from my ISP a couple of months ago because the WiFi kept going down on my old one, even though he ethernet was fine. Seemed to be random intervals and a reboot fixed it, but it was annoying enough that I called them up and the new router seems fine.

However, it looks like I've just seen the reason this started happening: Android.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2050.html

From what we have gathered so far, the issue appears to be related to some recent releases of Android OS and Google Apps. This issue stems from these devices' "Cast" feature, which sends MDNS multicast discovery packets in order to keep a live connection with Google products such as Google Home. These packets normally sent in a 20-second interval. However, we have discovered that the devices will sometimes broadcast a large amount of these packets at a very high speed in a short amount of time. This occurs when the device is awakened from the "sleep mode", and could exceed more than 100,000 packets in a short amount of time. The longer your device is in "sleep", the larger this packet burst will be. This issue may eventually cause some of router's primary features to shut down – including wireless connectivity.

Generally, you will need to perform a reboot to release the memory to solve this issue. You may also try disabling the "Cast" feature on your Android device to help mitigate the issue until an update is released to permanently fix this issue on the device itself.

Between a phone, tablet and TV, it must have knocked it out when I woke them all up when I got home from work. I always did wonder why it never seemed to be down when I walked in, but was after I settled down on the sofa.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
I was going to go for something like a Galaxy Note 9 next year, but am now thinking about waiting for a phone with 5G capability (though those won't be around until next year or in 2020).

Husker86

Oct 27, 2017
I have 3 Chromecasts, 3 Google Home devices, and 8 Android phones/tablets connected to my WiFi...my poor router.

Yjynx

Alt-Account.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people are going to hide them behind cases I do wonder why chassis design matters that much.

I actually like Sony's traditional square design though. I liked that about the Robin and the Razer too. The rounded sides of the xa2 is interesting. I imagine some though, even on a non flagship phone, are discounting any phone that is not small bezels. Especially if they don't have a front fingerprint reader button to justify it at the bottom.
Why people love to encases their phone In anti tank material is beyond me. My GF prefer to use thin transparent casing.

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
Why people love to encases their phone In anti tank material is beyond me. My GF prefer to use thin transparent casing.

I've always been a no-case guy.

But having gotten a iPhone that was more expensive than all of my new Android phones and super slippery I am thinking for the first time that I should look into a case.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Having used Spigen cases for multiple phones now, I genuinely like their feel and buttons and they have a good look on their own. I'd never buy an OtterBox for example, just too huge and blocky.

I pretty much NEEDED a case for my S7 Edge because of the way too pointy edges. Couldn't hold it comfortably without my palm or fingers registering on the edges. In general I find a lot of phones tend to be pretty slippery, so cases give it a little bit of extra grip.

I don't drop phones as easily as I feel a lot of people do (never cracked a screen or caused anything more than a ding on the outside of a phone), but part of that is because I always have them in cases.

Husker86

Oct 27, 2017
Why so many? Do you have a big house & a family?
I'm an Android developer, so I have a lot of test devices, plus my wife's and my own phones.

Chromecasts are my preferred way of watching content on TV. And the Google Home devices were all "free" in one way or another, though I do actually use them daily.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
I'm an Android developer, so I have a lot of test devices, plus my wife's and my own phones.

Chromecasts are my preferred way of watching content on TV. And the Google Home devices were all "free" in one way or another, though I do actually use them daily.

Oh OK, just wondering.

I happen to own a Google Chromecast Ultra & am planning to own a Roku Streaming Stick Plus to replace the original, even though I don't own a 4K TV yet.

Corum

Oct 26, 2017
I've been started to play a few more games now that I've got the Pixel 2.

This week I bought Antihero and am enjoying it a lot, I haven't touched the multiplayer yet but the campaign is great so far.

Also, I started playing Antiyoy which is a more simple strategy, turn-based game.

What's everyone else playing this week?

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
moto-x5-dl-980x596.jpg

See that? That's a notch

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/01/16/moto-x5-specs-details-iphone-x-notch/