• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sharp is dumb.

Is the rear fingerprint reader deemed inferior by most consumers? I've always felt it was the muuuuch better placement yet companies have spent how much r&d money on in-display fingerprint readers instead of just putting it on the rear. Even the Xperia XZ4 leaks appear to have moved it to an in-display one.

I rmemeber a recent Porsche design Huawei had a rear and front in screen fp sensor.

Give the option for both

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
It's the Movado Connect, great watch but a bit pricey(got it as a gift from the in-laws)

Your watch doesn't have a heart rate sensor or GPS. Completely different situation.

Also reviews of Fossil Sport saying that battery life isnt better than the 2100 are wrong.

The watch has all the bells and whistles with always on heart rate monitoring in a smaller design.

That was impossible for a snapdragon 2100 watch to last all day with all those sensors or without being a hunky piece of shit

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Your watch doesn't have a heart rate sensor or GPS. Completely different situation.

While that is true, prior to WearOS 2.0, my watch would be on its last legs by the time I got home from work. After WearOS 2.0, it lasts well into the next day with the same amount of use. That's the point I was trying to make.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
While that is true, prior to WearOS 2.0, my watch would be on its last legs by the time I got home from work. After WearOS 2.0, it lasts well into the next day with the same amount of use. That's the point I was trying to make.

Awesome. That's great to hear.

if it lasts the same amount of hours on your wrist, how is battery life better?

Except that's not what I said. Most WearOS watches with GPS and heart rate are dead in 12 hours. The 3100 looks like it's bringing full day battery to WearOS when the 2100 was too shitty to make it though a day.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a LG V40 to try out. Not a bad phone in the $500-$550 price range it's currently at in the 2nd hand market.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-of-android-2018-best-battery-life-925294/

While most phones don't deviate too far from the 2018 average, it's cool to see models out there really pushing things to accommodate the power-hungriest users. However, because the fastest charging phone and the best battery life don't exist in the same phone: you're probably going to want to find a safer middle ground like the Oppo R17 Pro. That model charges quickly, but it also lasts quite a while in our tests. Doing something the best is fine, but you want your phone to do both fairly well. In this one metric, the "best" might not be best for you — just something to keep in mind.
Here's the list of the top 9 phones in terms of battery life and charge speed:
  1. Huawei P20 Pro
  2. Oppo R17 Pro
  3. Vivo V11 Pro
  4. Samsung Galaxy Note 9
  5. Xiaomi Mi 8
  6. OnePlus 6T
  7. Xiaomi Black Shark
  8. Vivo Nex
  9. Xiaomi Pocophone

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
After three months of struggling with this s9 Plus, my wife has demanded to go back to iOS, so her iPhone XS Max arrives on Friday. And because my Pixel XL battery is trash these days, I'm going to start using the s9 Plus.

I'm sure I'll like the beefed up specs, but I've never been a fan of Samsung's take on Android. Is there any way I can use Google's Phone app rather than Samsung's? What's the best way to customize that Bixby button?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
After three months of struggling with this s9 Plus, my wife has demanded to go back to iOS, so her iPhone XS Max arrives on Friday. And because my Pixel XL battery is trash these days, I'm going to start using the s9 Plus.

I'm sure I'll like the beefed up specs, but I've never been a fan of Samsung's take on Android. Is there any way I can use Google's Phone app rather than Samsung's? What's the best way to customize that Bixby button?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9/how-to/howto-galaxy-s9-google-pixel-t3763712

Old post, so you might have to do some more Googling on your own.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
After 2018 started off with some sort of promises and burnt out fast with notches, micro usb prevalency and build quality fuckery, the mid range may be shaping up again in 2019.

Oppo's Realme line is gaining a strong competitor with the Realme U, with ~SD660 equivalent preformance, a small teardrop, and a relatively low price.
https://www.smartprix.com/bytes/realme-u1-antutu-score-surfaces-beats-redmi-note-6-pro-and-honor-8x/
Meanwhile Samsung is tired of everyone's bullshit and is revving up the chainsaws to tear into Xiaomi's chinese foothold:
https://m.gsmarena.com/antutu_shows_the_samsung_galaxy_m2_will_have_a_1080p_display-news-34335.php

Nokia is done for the year and nothing so far is heard for the future, but Sony is at leaat gonna try one more time with the XA3 line, which has been looking absolutely baller for a while now. LG and Motorola I have basically given up hope that they can entice us anymore. The G6 was so bad.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's hear some quick impressions
Will try when I have more time to use it more, but it's lighter compared to other phones, which is nice if you use your phone alot. UI is smooth and fast so far. One thing I'm not a fan of so far is the wider aspect ratio compared to other phones like the Note and Pixel. Watching YouTube videos gives bars on the top and bottom of video. Speaker is decent for a single speaker solution. Can't really say much else at this point. Have a busy week and getting many phones in like Note 9 and 3XL

Oct 25, 2017
man Gary of Android authority, who rightfully criticized your typical YouTube speedtests, decided to write his how set of performance testing apps of varied functionalities.

Oct 26, 2017
20181119_151703.jpg
Want.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
man Gary of Android authority, who rightfully criticized your typical YouTube speedtests, decided to write his how set of performance testing apps of varied functionalities.

He should at least run the test several times at different times during the day and even over a week to make sure the results are valid, consistent and not influenced by some OS level background processes.

Other than that, he is not really doing that much different then the guy that does two runs of opening the same set of apps on two devices to see how quickly they operate and how well they handle putting and getting apps from the RAM.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
spent like 2 hours installing lineage on my nexus 6p last night for some reason.

now my "newpipe while i sleep" device has the latest security updates yay

Oct 25, 2017
He should at least run the test several times at different times during the day and even over a week to make sure the results are valid, consistent and not influenced by some OS level background processes.

Other than that, he is not really doing that much different then the guy that does two runs of opening the same set of apps on two devices to see how quickly they operate and how well they handle putting and getting apps from the RAM.

Yep he's taking feedback. Think the key difference here is that his tests focus more on performance and calculations of the processors + OEM optimizations, while most other tests are generally just about app opening speeds and if apps stick around after x amount of apps.

I'm not gonna think there will be too big differences between same chipsets, but it's fascinating to see how the mate 20 do great on the computational tests, but struggles hard on the gpu focused 3d game demo.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
So My Nexus barely lasts with one hour sot and I am getting a note 8 for about 450 USD. Should I go with it or do I have other choices?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
So My Nexus barely lasts with one hour sot and I am getting a note 8 for about 450 USD. Should I go with it or do I have other choices?

I got my Note 8 last year and I still love it. It's still a fantastic phone and that's why I haven't got a Note 9.

With that said, it is a year old phone and might not get any more updates after it's 9.0 update.

If you do go with it, you're going to get a fantastic phone that will be a huge upgrade over your Nexus.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Some crazy black friday deals appearing. Mi A2 Lite is £130ish on Amazon and £100 in the Mi store. But the lack of NFC and micro USB are turn offs.. Or am I making a big deal over nothing really?

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I got my Note 8 last year and I still love it. It's still a fantastic phone and that's why I haven't got a Note 9.

With that said, it is a year old phone and might not get any more updates after it's 9.0 update.

If you do go with it, you're going to get a fantastic phone that will be a huge upgrade over your Nexus.

Battery was always the issue with my note 8, so be wary about that.

Thanks guys. So no other good phone in this price range

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Some crazy black friday deals appearing. Mi A2 Lite is £130ish on Amazon and £100 in the Mi store. But the lack of NFC and micro USB are turn offs.. Or am I making a big deal over nothing really?
The A2 Lite is basically the Redmi 5 Plus with a better camera and notch, without the notch it would be the Y2. Nothing special as a phone really, but as a budget device for less tech savvy people its completely fine.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of our phones died (beyond reasonable repair), so I picked up a used OG Pixel from eBay for ~$120 with the 15% off coupon code last night. I had some difficulty deciding between it and a newer Nokia 6.1 (for ~$17 more). Let's see how it plays out, especially in terms of battery health.

I'm using my old Moto G 2013 with a Pie ROM in the meantime. Apart from the severely limited RAM, poor connectivity, and potato of a camera, it's almost tolerable.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the rumored top end version of the Galaxy S10 is a 6.7" version.

God I hope they add a 120hz screen to that beast.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

NFC saved my ass when I drove over to my nearest IKEA (bout 50 minutes) and forgot my wallet. Google Pay needs it.

But to be fair I hardly ever use Google Pay.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Home Hub delivered today. Didn't realise it was also a cast destination, which is fantastic. Every command I tried works like it should, bar one.

If I say "Watch YouTube in living room" it'll start casting, but if I'm watching a YouTube video and then say "Continue watching in living room", it seems to recognise the command as it doesn't say it can't, but nothing happens. Wonder if it's just not compatible with the Sony TV I have or what. Any suggestions?

Honestly, might pick up one for the kitchen for recipes and stuff, then have a mini in the living room since i have my big screen and soundbar in there already.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So you can cast everything to it *except* Netflix? So weird.

Yeah, I figure it'll come though, unless it doesn't have the DRM. Everything has to be certified.

Also, you can cast Netflix from the device to a Chromecast by saying "Play Arrested Development on Netflix in the living room", but that doesn't work on Android TV.

And obviously not Amazon Prime Video either.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Yeah, I figure it'll come though, unless it doesn't have the DRM. Everything has to be certified.

Also, you can cast Netflix from the device to a Chromecast by saying "Play Arrested Development on Netflix in the living room", but that doesn't work on Android TV.

And obviously not Amazon Prime Video either.

Recently this has changed I just don't think it's rolled out to all Android TV devices yet. The Netflix casting