• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not in the US. People are too dumb and lazy to buy a phone on their own so they go straight to their carrier store.

Carriers have control over what goes on the ROM here. They also have full say over if your phone goes on their shelves and how much publicity they give it. This why Verizon Samsung phones comes with Verizon Messages instead of Samsung's.

Every carrier phone is a negotiation process for OEMs.
this.

for instance, on OEM unlocked devices, depending on the carrier SIM you insert and the agreement between the OEM and the carrier, their carrier management app, their voicemail app and whatever other apps, sometimes completely pointless 3rd party games and apps, are installed affer bootup.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of our phones died (beyond reasonable repair), so I picked up a used OG Pixel from eBay for ~$120 with the 15% off coupon code last night. I had some difficulty deciding between it and a newer Nokia 6.1 (for ~$17 more). Let's see how it plays out, especially in terms of battery health.

I'm using my old Moto G 2013 with a Pie ROM in the meantime. Apart from the severely limited RAM, poor connectivity, and potato of a camera, it's almost tolerable.

Update: Apart from the awful battery (down to 67% capacity according to Accubattery), the poor ergonomics, and the burnt in navigation bar, I'm pretty happy with this OG Pixel. My hope is to make it last through late 2019/early 2020.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Hey, is anyone using this fast charger with a Nokia 6.1?

link

519QPL0SLOL._SL1000_.jpg

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Christ on a bike that's a big step down from the S9.

If you use a software bezel to hide it you're going to end up with less space than you used to have.

If you look at this site in landscape you wouldn't be able to press the hamburger menu. Lol.

Edit: Apparently this leak isn't accurate.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
A chin and a top bezel, while also putting a big gaping hole in the screen. Just fucking do a bigger bezel then, if you can't remove that shit.

Alternatively, if you're going to make 10 versions of the S10 anyways, make one without front facing cameras altogether.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Christ on a bike that's a big step down from the S9.

If you use a software bezel to hide it you're going to end up with less space than you used to have.

If you look at this site in landscape you wouldn't be able to press the hamburger menu. Lol.

Edit: Apparently this leak isn't accurate.

Yes, IceUniverse said that there are many details that are wrong. I think we still will see that double camera though.

Also, if true, it's nice that there's still a headphone jack.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Google Fixed the RAM managent and speaker buzzing on the Pixel 3 with today's update.

It was technically a 6 week wait for those that pre-ordered.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally watched Flossy's wireless earbud top 10 video, not strictly Android, but with more and more phones lacking headphones it is pretty relavent.
https://youtu.be/1-QEzsc6Q_U

Super disagree with his top pick though (the Bose Soundsport Free). They do feel great and sound great, but at least when I used them a year ago they had bad connectivity problems (worked fine on my Moto Z Play, but my S9+ they were unusable), audio would lag on videos (it was patched to be better on Netflix, Amazon, and maybe Hulu, but YouTube was still bad when I last had a pair), and they don't connect correctly to PCs.
Flossy seemed to just be doing quick few minute impressions, but having used them for a while last year they definitely had issues.
Maybe Bose did more firmware updates over the last year, but as of about a year ago they had major problems.

The cheap ones with the case that doubles as a portable battery seemed pretty cool, wouldn't mind trying out a pair of those someday, even if the sound quality isn't the best.

Have had my Gear Icon X's for about a year now and those have definitely been my favorite. Video audio is good, sound quality is solid, each earbud has full controls so you can use just one in at a time in either ear if you want, and the built in MP3 player is a nice extra feature.
Battery life could be a little better (the case only does two extra charges I think), but they still get the job done very well.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Hey AndroidERA, I've been looking for years for an app or a way to change how network is displayed in the statusbar. To make it simple, I just want it to show if there is data connection or not. Because sometimes the signal icon states 4G but I don't have any data and it's kinda annoying. I know that there are some network speed things that display network speed that could do the job, but I dont like how it looks. If I remember there was a version of Android which showed white WiFi signals when connected to a hotspot then turned to blue when there was some data connection... Is there any way to do such thing ?

Oct 27, 2017
It would seem that having a tiny sliver of screen between the camera and one of the upper corners would be a weird design choice....at that point just make it a corner notch?

Unless they've developed a way to hide the camera behind a display or something and it only notches when the camera is activated. I dunno how that technology works.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah no, just give me a notch and a centered camera. Not a fan of this.

Also, still don't understand why there's a chin, I'd figure if anyone was able to manage to compete with Apple on the no-chin front, it would've been Samsung.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Yea that looks pretty great. Hate notches, but the cutout allowing it to be off center and out of the way of full screen stuff is a huge improvement. 99% of the time it will just sit up there in the status bar like a notification.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no, just give me a notch and a centered camera. Not a fan of this.

Also, still don't understand why there's a chin, I'd figure if anyone was able to manage to compete with Apple on the no-chin front, it would've been Samsung.

I don't care about a tiny bottom bezel. The iPhone still has bezels all around the phone while the Samsung still has the edge to edge look.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the v
Wonder if it will be 5G? OnePlus 7 is supposed to be 5G

One of the variants will likely be 5G. Qualcomm won't have an energy efficient integrated 5G modem ready until much later in 2019, so most OEMs will release separate 5G models and non-5G models for at least the first half of the year.

The Mate 20 and Poco were 1 and 2 respectively.

Post processing and lighter images uber alles.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted but my Note 9 is my backup next to my daily driver, the 6T

Does it seem stable for semi daily use?

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is nice that Samsung pull that technology (cam inside the screen) but that looks ugly imo

This old render of the mi mix 3 is more appeal imo

xiaomi-mi-mix-2s-render-nov-16-3.png