• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
oh my god that is ugly as hell
can't believe Samsung, the one saving us from ugly looking phone designs, will step down that much

I agree, not feeling these S10 renders at all. I would rather have the sliding or mechanical cameras or even a notch over a corner camera.

Edit: Not to mention that they kept the curved edges too

Last edited:

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
15439777781031179499535282841809.jpg

Samsung 5g prototype. Yeah... They going corner cam.
yikes!

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way a final design comes even close to that. C'mon y'all lol..

Edit: here's an update to that render from earlier:

Regular S10 could be a winner if people want the single camera design.

I'm glad that they same to be keeping everything else that makes this seem like a no compromise device (dual speakers, 3.5mm).

The other upgrades look be very good, for those coming from an S7 or S8 (ultra sonic finger print scanner, 6GB+ ram, 7mm CPU, improved camera capabilities, and most importantly, One UI on Android P)

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Bestbuy has open box Xperia XZ2 for $380. Really thinking of upgrading to it despite the lack of headphone jack but at least it comes with the dongle.

Husker86

Oct 27, 2017
I got a $200 discount code for Pixel 3 from Google One. Wonder if mine is higher since I have a paid storage plan.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually $50 more for the Pixel 3. Kinda sucks since I got my wife one with the Black Friday deal. Oh well.
Ah that's true. Although I think Project Fi had the Pixel 3 at $599 Black Friday also. Still in the return period though if she doesn't mind reordering. Or you could talk to google customer service and see if they can do something to credit you back the $50

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I got a Huawei P Smart today. Nothing wrong with my current phone (Moto G5) which i've had about 13 months but I fancied a change, and wanted something with NFC as i'm always forgetting my bank card. Cost me £99 refurbished (basically open box new) and its pretty nice. Great screen, solid premium build, camera seems good (in day light). Crazy the amount of phone you can get these days for such a low cost.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at what they're turning Hangouts into, it's becoming more of a Slack/Teams style product, so it's not a replacement for Allo at all. They're going to double down on rich messages it seems.

This is why people shit on Android. Google can't get its shit straight. Forever why I'll always avoid "stock" options.

Hopefully they'll kill GMail and keep Inbox, but I don't see it happening just because GMail is in by default.

Bastards.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at what they're turning Hangouts into, it's becoming more of a Slack/Teams style product, so it's not a replacement for Allo at all. They're going to double down on rich messages it seems.

Hopefully they'll kill GMail and keep Inbox, but I don't see it happening just because GMail is in by default.

Bastards.
Never used Inbox. I should try it out before they kill it.

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
When was the last time Google had a popular app/one that didn't get shut down after a bit? Do people use Duo?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time Google had a popular app/one that didn't get shut down after a bit? Do people use Duo?

Google seems to be integrating Duo into their stock Android builds(I have a video call option on the call screen that launches Duo on my Essential), so it looks like Duo is staying, atleast for now...

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have one ongoing conversation going on in Hangouts, and one in Allo. I should move those over to the Google Messages app. Although I like seeing when the recipient sees my message in Allo, and I'm pretty sure Messages doesn't have that (yet?).

And depending on where you are in the world and what network you're on, it still might not!

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have one ongoing conversation going on in Hangouts, and one in Allo. I should move those over to the Google Messages app. Although I like seeing when the recipient sees my message in Allo, and I'm pretty sure Messages doesn't have that (yet?).

Only if both you and the other party are on one of a few devices on T-Mobile or a Pixel 3 on Verizon.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why aren't they using the term RCS?

People don't know what RCS is. The blog post discusses "upgrading SMS". Ultimately it doesn't matter if people call it as long as it works.

Most people outside of the USA also don't use SMS either

Once RCS rolls out, hopefully they'll switch over. (Also, SMS is still bigger than Facebook Messenger/WhatsApp/Line/QQchat/etc. worldwide.)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Most people outside of the USA also don't use SMS either
I doubt Google even knows there's places outside of the USA.

I imagine there's a Google exec somewhere in charge of Google Maps that wonders why he can scroll so far past the east and west coast and then berates his subordinates for the millionth time for not fixing that bug yet.

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, so apparently my boyfriend bought me a Zenfone 5S for christmas, is the phone usable with one hand? He knows I don't like huge phones but he still got me that (he doesn't know that I know though)

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't especially mind the big top and bottom bezels, given they have stereo front facing speakers, but the pricing on the XZ Compact line is just too high. It's a massive premium for a slightly narrower phone (compared to actual Galaxy S or OnePlus pricing).

Damn, that's not a bad phone either if I remember right (not the greatest, but $99 is probably an amazing price). Only really bad thing I remember hearing about it was that the screen was really prone to scratching.

There's a plastic cover over the display that's "shatterproof" but easy to scratch. You can remove it with a little heat and/or rubbing alcohol and put on a glass screen protector instead. Doesn't fix the mediocre-for-a-flagship camera, but it's great for a $99 device. Too bad it's locked to AT&T.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

There's your small phone, big phone haters

You know Sony, you can still make a smaller phone that doesn't have huge bezels. They are going to have the same design on that line up phones for another 3 years. Then OEM is going to make a phone the same size as sony's with a 20% larger display and it will just look embarrassing for them.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a plastic cover over the display that's "shatterproof" but easy to scratch. You can remove it with a little heat and/or rubbing alcohol and put on a glass screen protector instead. Doesn't fix the mediocre-for-a-flagship camera, but it's great for a $99 device. Too bad it's locked to AT&T.
Would it work on cricket since its an AT&T company?