• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Google seems to be integrating Duo into their stock Android builds(I have a video call option on the call screen that launches Duo on my Essential), so it looks like Duo is staying, atleast for now...

That's good to hear. I like Duo more than the other videochat apps.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

There's your small phone, big phone haters

So happy this line isn't going away. My girlfriend has the XZ2 compact and loves it. Would be nice if it added a second lens though.

Also the bezels aren't really that big on the phone in person. They look worse in renders.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
People don't know what RCS is. The blog post discusses "upgrading SMS". Ultimately it doesn't matter if people call it as long as it works.

Once RCS rolls out, hopefully they'll switch over. (Also, SMS is still bigger than Facebook Messenger/WhatsApp/Line/QQchat/etc. worldwide.)

It actually started rolling out on Verizon today but only Pixel 3 so far. People tested cross carrier interop though and had a working RCS group chat with US Cellular, Verizion and Sprint

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I need a browser advice:
I'm using Lightning Browser since years because I love the UI. A swipe from the left edge shows me a tab list, from the right edge it shows me my bookmarks. I love it!
My problem is that this browser gets updated maybe once a year and is unusable on the new Era site. Is there an other browser with a UI like this? And no, dolphin is shit.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
I need a browser advice:
I'm using Lightning Browser since years because I love the UI. A swipe from the left edge shows me a tab list, from the right edge it shows me my bookmarks. I love it!
My problem is that this browser gets updated maybe once a year and is unusable on the new Era site. Is there an other browser with a UI like this? And no, dolphin is shit.
Haven't found another browser like lightning. The reasons you listed are the reason I love it. But I don't use it that often anymore because it's hardly updated.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
I need a browser advice:
Check out yuzu browser. Just found it just now, lots of customization. I'm still playing around with it, setting up quick control.
Edit : resetera doesn't display properly on it. Previous browser I was using, habit browser, worked fine but it hasn't been updated since 2017 and it was mostly language updates.

Last edited:

Rossonero

Nov 6, 2017
I need a browser advice:

I don't know about the UI, but I love the Samsung Browser.

Bought an O6T today, moving up from a Samsung S7 Edge. So far so good, but man did they really had to remove the notification led? Why not have a blinking pixel next to the notch then?

The speed of this thing is amazing, I'm just worried for the camera.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
I don't know about the UI, but I love the Samsung Browser.

Bought an O6T today, moving up from a Samsung S7 Edge. So far so good, but man did they really had to remove the notification led? Why not have a blinking pixel next to the notch then?

The speed of this thing is amazing, I'm just worried for the camera.

Wait till you notice the difference in the vibration motor.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
80% sure its gonna somehow have a higher msrp than what you can get a 2xl for these days.

For reference, the Nokia 8.1 (or X7 in China) has the very same chipset that is rumoured for these things (SD710) and cost ~400€ for 4GB/64G with 3.5 jack and a 3500 mAh battery. You can be sure as hell these things are going to cost WAY more than that.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any of you guys get one of those 3XL $200 off codes you aren't going to use?

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
So I lost my phone :( I was in Ireland and it fell out of my pocket in a cab and since I did not spring for data service find my device did not work.
So now I need to get another one, it was a PH1 and really that was as close to a perfect device for me but the price has gone back up.
So here is my question, is there a device that is under inches that runs close to stock?
I don't really care about cameras too much, I only really use them in a pinch. I really would by a OnePlus if the thing was smaller, it is just too big I think.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Today is another interesting day. First off:
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ng-a8s-infinity-o-display-features-specs-news
First punch hole camera phone unveiled! SD710, triple camera, great memory choices, and the deep green is a great look.

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_unvei...riginal_phone_for_the_holidays-news-34631.php
The black shark is a great gaming phone, and I like how they now offer a full controller setup. For the 500€ Asking price right now, its a great sell.

And wow at the Pixel Lites. Snapdragon 710 aside, Google really should try to undercut everyone with an insane asking price. They won't, and likely be asses while charging north of 600, but hey kts nice to dream.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I lost my phone :( I was in Ireland and it fell out of my pocket in a cab and since I did not spring for data service find my device did not work.
So now I need to get another one, it was a PH1 and really that was as close to a perfect device for me but the price has gone back up.
So here is my question, is there a device that is under inches that runs close to stock?
I don't really care about cameras too much, I only really use them in a pinch. I really would by a OnePlus if the thing was smaller, it is just too big I think.

Not sure what under "inches" was meant to be, but the Moto G6 (close to stock, Pie soak tests ongoing) and Nokia 6.1 (Android One) are the best budget phones for US consumers, at least without taking into account used devices or carrier-specific deals. Each is available for $150-$175 right now at Best Buy.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung just told me they're now doing doorstop repairs with a one hour window in the UK and can be done under warranty.

I missed the old Apple thing of just being able to take it to their stores, so that's a good thing. I don't even have to go to them!

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
So I signed up for Fi and ordered the LG G7 ThinQ. The sound stuff is really interesting and it does everything else I need as cameras are not a priority. The only thing that worries me is that it is not stock, but I can always just use Nova Launcher.

In theory Fi will work better for me at my parents house than T-Mobile, plus I would not have lost my phone overseas as I's have data.

I picked up at Nokia 7.1 in the meantime, it's a really nice device so far.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So I signed up for Fi and ordered the LG G7 ThinQ. The sound stuff is really interesting and it does everything else I need as cameras are not a priority. The only thing that worries me is that it is not stock, but I can always just use Nova Launcher.

In theory Fi will work better for me at my parents house than T-Mobile, plus I would not have lost my phone overseas as I's have data.

I picked up at Nokia 7.1 in the meantime, it's a really nice device so far.
If it weren't for that notch, Nokia would be the king for me right now, glass back and all. The 8.1 is also looking ti be a top contender as well, you cannot go wrong with Android One+SD710/6GB Ram+Nokia Cameras at 400€. I mock the notch, but good lord is that a tempting device.
https://m.androidcentral.com/nokia-81-review

As for the 7.1, its a bit steep in its price for a 636 device, no HDR compatible screens or dual cameras can change that fact. The 6.1 is almost exactly the same phone in every aspect.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i only play Pocket Camp, but i have two instances running and they're almost always there, even when i haven't been on them all day and they're a 20 plus tabs away fron the front.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Really torn between the Pixel 3 and splashing out a bit on the McClaren OnePlus 6t. I like the look of it and I know it's a little pricey but I do need a new phone. How do the cameras compare? Ive seen night sight but is the camera on the 6T really bad?

Another option is to wait on the S10 but it will cost mega money on release!

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Really torn between the Pixel 3 and splashing out a bit on the McClaren OnePlus 6t. I like the look of it and I know it's a little pricey but I do need a new phone. How do the cameras compare? Ive seen night sight but is the camera on the 6T really bad?

What is wrong with just getting the normal 6T?

Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen that color?

Also, it's only like 70 bucks more.

and it comes with the case which usually retail for around $30 and some other goodies inside. if I wanted a 6t, I'd definitely give this a shot.

camera is fine in normal day. you can always dl a gcam apk for nightsight. Works ok.

Deleted member 35653

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Hi guys, I need to replace my phone (currently got IPhone 7), I think I'm done with Apple because of no expandable memory plus I need a more couple of functions the XS Max has but at a ridiculous price tag (dual sim, large battery). Is the XZ3 a good option? Or should I wait for the XZ4? When is it supposed to come out?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, I need to replace my phone (currently got IPhone 7), I think I'm done with Apple because of no expandable memory plus I need a more couple of functions the XS Max has but at a ridiculous price tag (dual sim, large battery). Is the XZ3 a good option? Or should I wait for the XZ4? When is it supposed to come out?

What are your must haves and must have nots? Any Apple service except the obvious (iMessage, Facetime) or inter-connectivity with other Apple services and devices that you just cannot live without? Region (and if in the US: carrier)?

Deleted member 35653

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
What are your must haves and must have nots? Any Apple service except the obvious (iMessage, Facetime) or inter-connectivity with other Apple services and devices that you just cannot live without? Region (and if in the US: carrier)?
Believe me when I say I can live without any of that. I also have a MacBook Pro so I wouldn't cut ties with Apple definitely.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Believe me when I say I can live without any of that. I also have a MacBook Pro so I wouldn't cut ties with Apple definitely.

In that case go nuts, any of the currently selling flagships covering the dual sim requirement + SD card slot is a good idea. I'd advise to avoid LG (sub-par update policy), Huawei (Android version is too tweaked out for western tastes, and doesn't play nice with all software) or HTC (overpriced to hell and back) but that's mostly personal opinion and YMMV.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like warp charge is a huge difference. Should have used 50 watt instead of 30 watt.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to tell whether my WiFi messages (instead of regular text) is actually working?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

I just got my 6T and I wasn't blown away by the camera at all initially, it had the same "smear" effect up close my 3T camera had. The depth effect is also a hit or miss, my SO is very curly and it had a very hard time detecting the edges on her hair.
But I downloaded the GCamera apk and it works great. Very few bugs, and the pictures look amazing IMO.

BMO=GOAT

Oct 26, 2017
So what are some good quality wireless headphones? Looking to switch to a pixel 3, from OG pixel. I don't own wireless headphones so yeah.
Also whats the consensus so far, Pixel 3 XL or normal 3?