• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm done with Huawei. My second p20 has the same problem as the first one (it shuts down at a random % when under 20% of battery).
I can replace it with an LG G7 or a Xperia XZ2. And from those 2, I'm going for the XZ2, unless anyone here convince me to get the g7.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Turn off cellular data and try sending a message to a friend (or yourself).
2stKRkS.png

Oh well

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I just got my 6T and I wasn't blown away by the camera at all initially, it had the same "smear" effect up close my 3T camera had. The depth effect is also a hit or miss, my SO is very curly and it had a very hard time detecting the edges on her hair.
But I downloaded the GCamera apk and it works great. Very few bugs, and the pictures look amazing IMO.
Thanks for the impressions! I ended up going for the Pixel, the pictures are magical. Glad you're happy with the 6T also!

maeh2k

Oct 28, 2017
Munich
After ~4.5 years with my Nokia Lumia 930, I am moving to Android (Pixel 3).

Brot, what's your Android setup? How do you feel about the Microsoft launcher vs the default Android/Pixel one?

Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Got an email from Google this morning with referral codes to get $100 off a Pixel 3 or $150 off a Pixel 3 XL. For as frequently they are giving these discounts out they should just permanently drop the price of the phone and call it a day. I know they don't want to lower the "value" of the phone, but they overvalued the phone in the first place.

Edit: Actually just reread the email and realized if the code is used I get $100 in Google Store credit. If anyone wants it, let me know. I'd love to pick up the Pixelbook Pen for my Slate (yeah, i'm probably 1 of the 5 people that bought it).

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Brot, what's your Android setup? How do you feel about the Microsoft launcher vs the default Android/Pixel one?

I'm not Brot, but I found the Microsoft launcher to be much nicer than the default one on my Pixel. I even prefer it slightly to Nova, which I paid for. The Microsoft launcher is nothing like WP, though.

Outlook is also vastly superior to Gmail. I'd even say Edge is better than Chrome, but only due to Chrome's lack of ad blocking (but there are other browsers that are better than either).

maeh2k

Oct 28, 2017
Munich
I'm not Brot, but I found the Microsoft launcher to be much nicer than the default one on my Pixel. I even prefer it slightly to Nova, which I paid for. The Microsoft launcher is nothing like WP, though.

Outlook is also vastly superior to Gmail. I'd even say Edge is better than Chrome, but only due to Chrome's lack of ad blocking (but there are other browsers that are better than either).

For now, I have set up the Microsoft Launcher and a couple of the other Microsoft apps like Outlook.
I haven't settled on a browser yet – I just installed all of them. I'll give Opera Touch a try first, then Opera Beta, then Edge, then Firefox...

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Got an email from Google this morning with referral codes to get $100 off a Pixel 3 or $150 off a Pixel 3 XL. For as frequently they are giving these discounts out they should just permanently drop the price of the phone and call it a day. I know they don't want to lower the "value" of the phone, but they overvalued the phone in the first place.

Edit: Actually just reread the email and realized if the code is used I get $100 in Google Store credit. If anyone wants it, let me know. I'd love to pick up the Pixelbook Pen for my Slate (yeah, i'm probably 1 of the 5 people that bought it).
They probably don't want to permanently lower the price because it might overlap with their budget Pixel phones supposedly coming early next year.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Question about google photos...

We had my wife set to backup "high quality" photos for unlimited storage, but we want to change it to "original quality". So I selected that option, but want to know if there's a way to get all the photos that are currently on her phone AND backed up under "high quality" to be backed up as "original quality". Is there an easy way to do that?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best Buy (US) has $300 off the Verizon Pixel 3/XL today, for those interested.

Also, B&H is selling the Moto X4 for $165.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

The Microsoft launcher has no value to me because I was never that deep into the Microsoft ecosystem in the first place. Even timeline is not something I use, much less think about. The Your Phone app is pretty nice to quickly transfer photos between your phone and your computer, though. And it would be cool if the cloud clipboard functionality would finally launch. Other than that, I can't think of any Microsoft app that I genuinely need on my phone.

I have a super simple Nova launcher setup with one page, five icons and a weather widget. It's gesture based and shows all apps I need.

As for browsers, I'm using the Samsung browser on my S9+. It's really fast, offers ad blocking, has the best UI for me, has its own night mode and offers PiP support for videos (pretty good for YouTube). But I'd still recommend to install Firefox. It has a plug in that let's you play YouTube videos in the background.

maeh2k

Oct 28, 2017
Munich
The Microsoft launcher has no value to me because I was never that deep into the Microsoft ecosystem in the first place. Even timeline is not something I use, much less think about. The Your Phone app is pretty nice to quickly transfer photos between your phone and your computer, though. And it would be cool if the cloud clipboard functionality would finally launch. Other than that, I can't think of any Microsoft app that I genuinely need on my phone.

I have a super simple Nova launcher setup with one page, five icons and a weather widget. It's gesture based and shows all apps I need.

As for browsers, I'm using the Samsung browser on my S9+. It's really fast, offers ad blocking, has the best UI for me, has its own night mode and offers PiP support for videos (pretty good for YouTube). But I'd still recommend to install Firefox. It has a plug in that let's you play YouTube videos in the background.

Thanks.
For now I'll give the Microsoft launcher a shot. On my Windows Phone and my PCs I often set myself reminder via Cortana and it's helpful that I see/get them on all devices.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Lenovo had an interesting day today:
https://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_z5_pro_gt_first_world_snapdragon_855_12_gb_ram-news-34748.php

https://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_z5s_a...ree_cameras_and_snapdragon_710-news-34747.php

https://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_s5_pr...to_snapdragon_660_up_from_s636-news-34749.php

-First SD855 phone, also coupled with 12gigs of ram for the higher end model. Its a soupes up version of their slider phone, the Z5 Pro.
- Meanwhile the Z5s is an interesting 3 cam phone with a gorgeous color selection and a waterdrop notch screen. Should be interesting to see how its priced as a SD710 phone.
-Last is the S5 pro GT, which is an all metal iphone x lookalike, but very likely to be the first of many affordable SD660 phones coming in 2019.

That last bit js the most exciting, we are going to see feature rich SD660 phones lower than 250 start to hit the market. It took 3 years, but we are finally getting to the point where 2016-2017 flagship specs are going to be the norm for your cheapest option.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So with Inbox getting brutally slaughtered, I've moved back to Spark on iOS. But now I need a Spark alternative for Android. Need some tips for a client with Inbox-like qualities.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So with Inbox getting brutally slaughtered, I've moved back to Spark on iOS. But now I need a Spark alternative for Android. Need some tips for a client with Inbox-like qualities.

If Edison fixes their shit, that seems to be the one. Never got notifications though, so just monitoring for now.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I hope T Mobile keeps having OnePlus phone's going forward, regret not picking one up this year (wanted to try out an iPhone, but if the 7t is good and still affordably priced next year and is on Tmo I'd definitely jump on it.

BMO=GOAT

Oct 26, 2017
Damn with these "discounted" cuts for the pixel 3, its hard to decide when to buy lol. Seems carriers ge a better discount than unlocked tho.
Edit: just bought the 3xl, for those who have tried the earbuds that come with it, what's your verdict on them?

Last edited:

Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Damn with these "discounted" cuts for the pixel 3, its hard to decide when to buy lol. Seems carriers ge a better discount than unlocked tho.
Edit: just bought the 3xl, for those who have tried the earbuds that come with it, what's your verdict on them?

I picked up the USB-C Headphones just as a wired option for my Pixel Slate and Pixel 2 XL. They aren't amazing quality, but work for basic usage. They don't have a lot of bass and depending on your ear, they may be hard to get a comfortable fit (kind of like Apple EarBuds). The in-ear cable loops help to get a fit, but I can see people not liking how that works. They are also not great a blocking out noise. For simple, basic usage they are fine. If you want decent quality you'll need to look elsewhere.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My oneplus 3T is failing, the home and recent app buttons isn't working
But the fingerprint sensor is fine lol
I'm doing a backup to do a hard reset :(

Edit: this is so weird, I can't even download any app from the store
And the notification bar is broken (not showing any notification)

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the Celeron Pixel Slate looks like a massive piece of shit, especially compared to a Surface Go or iPad; apparently the i5 ones aren't better.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Anyone tried the Alcantara cases for S8/S9?

Can get a good deal on them but was wondering how durable they were and if they can fit along with a full screen glass protector?

Also will they end up staining my pockets with fibres if I keep pulling my phone in and out?

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading the m3 and i5 are much better

MKBHD should have never reviewed the Celeron model and Google never should have sold it.
If anything it's nice to see a reviewer go over the lower end model instead of getting sent a high-end device and missing issues like this. Google should have never sold a Celeron model but good on MKBHD for calling out this trash.

Oct 25, 2017
pie stable is rolling out to beta testers for s9. early christmas gift!
I'm reading the m3 and i5 are much better

MKBHD should have never reviewed the Celeron model and Google never should have sold it.

still stuttery in animations in tablet mode on every chromeos device. software isn't there yet.
I think it's good to review the base model, Microsoft and Apple don't have this problem in their base models.

well microsoft made the smart move this year and removed the m3 4gb ram option for the surface pro and surface laptop too!

Anyone tried the Alcantara cases for S8/S9?

Can get a good deal on them but was wondering how durable they were and if they can fit along with a full screen glass protector?

Also will they end up staining my pockets with fibres if I keep pulling my phone in and out?

alcantara is only on s8/note 8 family. it feels nice. can get stained but not too hard to clean. will interfere with glass protectors though.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
I don't think there's any company with as incompetent of a hardware/software division to do that, hence why Google's alone on this. Though it's not like the stuttering is gone on the other SKUs afaik.

You're right. Apple never shipped IOS 11 and bent iPad pros that they stand behind. Microsoft also didn't just release an update that deletes files from the users OS and a new surface without USB C ports.

Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Which CPU did you get for your Pixel Slate? How do you like it?

I have the i5 version and I picked up the keyboard. So far, I really like it. There is not the lag or stuttering that is shown in some of the review videos. This is my main computer I use, primarily for web browsing, music, video, etc. My last computer was a Toshiba Chromebook which has served me well for the last 4 years. I also tend to jump into be an early adopter of things, for better or worse (hence an i5 with keyboard). I didn't pick up the Pixelbook Pen, so I can't comment on that.

Things I like:
-Screen and speakers are fantastic. Watching YouTube in 4K is great. Battery life is pretty good overall.
-Build quality is great, it just feels really nice to hold and use.
-Android apps work nice, for the most part. They can get weird with how it works within Chrome OS, but overall I haven't run into many issues.
-Typing on the keyboard is awesome. I didn't know how the rounded keys were going to work, but now I want all of my keyboards like this. More on the keyboard below. The magnets to hold the tablet in different angles are great and work well.

Things I don't like:
-When in tablet mode ChromeOS can get a bit wonky at times. It's clear the touch version of ChromeOS is still a work in progress.
-I do not like how the keyboard does not have any magnets or attachment to the screen when you close it. This means the keyboard can flop against the screen when it's closed.
-The keyboard is not attached as well as I would like. When it is in your lap there can be some movement, which is annoying. The way Microsoft attaches the Surface to the keyboard is the way to go here.

With that said, as much as I like mine, I really can't really recommend picking one up. For the cost and what you get there are better alternatives. Even last years Pixelbook is a pretty nice deal right now with some of the holiday sales. They really should not have released the Celeron models and just went with the i5/i7 as the options at a lower price point. Or included the keyboard at the current price points. I wouldn't even think of picking one up that isn't an i5/i7.

I think the MKBHD video was fair. If Google doesn't like it then they shouldn't have released the Celeron versions. Most tech people will know to go with the i5 / i7, most non-tech people are going to go for the cheapest one. The video is fair to show what you're really getting at that price.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
The mess that is the Pixel Slate is really interesting to watch as a Pixelbook owner, as in my time with it as my primary laptop for almost a year now I've never once encountered a single performance hiccup in laptop or tablet mode, so I can't imagine this is purely a ChromeOS issue.