• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Google releases shit and people argue about arguing that it's shit when everyone is in agreement to begin with

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Has anyone used a promotion where you get 100 GB free Google Drive storage with a new android smartphone (have this with my HTC10)?. Where can i see when this timeframe (2 years) ends? Checked everyhwere in the google settings but i can't find it. Have to know when i revert back to the 15 GB storage to prepare my data for it. Bought the HTC10 November two years ago so it should already be over but i still have the 115 GB storage on GDrive.
I know some Samsung models (Note) had this promotion too so maybe someone here can help.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
https://m.gsmarena.com/honor_v20_vi...lfie_camera_48_mp_main_shooter-news-34820.php

Those Gradient Vs lined up in the back glass pabel are sexy as hell. And the camera cutout looks smaller than Samsungs in live images, which is good to see. No idea what the hell a ToF sensor is though.
A ToF camera is a 3D depth image sensing camera that can measure the depth distance at each pixel by shooting out light which is then reflected back onto the sensor. It then uses the time it takes for the light to shoot out and reflect back to determine the precise distance of the object the sensor is focused on.

It will be used for 3D photography, somatosensory games, augmented reality and as another way to 'beautify' photos. I believe the Vivo Nex 2 also uses it for facial recognition on the second screen. Expect this to show up in more triple camera phones. The OPPO RX17 Pro will enable it with an OTA update 'soon'.

Last edited:

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made the switch to project fi and I'm pretty happy so far with service. I guess it's primarily on T-Mobile, but can run on Sprint and US Cellular so you pretty much have coverage everywhere. I got a free year of service with a 3XL so it was an offer I couldn't turn down. If any of you guys want to try out the service you can get $20 off with this link Mod Edit: removed referral link they also have a promo where if you sign up and byod they will give $100 credit on top of the $20

$20 off will get you free calls and texting for a month so all you pay for is data if you want to try the service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017
I made the switch to project fi and I'm pretty happy so far with service. I guess it's primarily on T-Mobile, but can run on Sprint and US Cellular so you pretty much have coverage everywhere. I got a free year of service with a 3XL so it was an offer I couldn't turn down. If any of you guys want to try out the service you can get $20 off with this link Mod Edit: removed referral link they also have a promo where if you sign up and byod they will give $100 credit on top of the $20

$20 off will get you free calls and texting for a month so all you pay for is data if you want to try the service.

wait what a free year? does that include data costs?

Last edited by a moderator:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I downloaded Nova Launcher but I cant find the option to have my Google News feed added to it. Isnt it possible?

Edit. Icon packs are cool but none will have all my apps... And having those few apps not in the same style makes the whole thing look ugly:/

Edit2. Whatever, already deleted and came back to my Pixel Launcher

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate how finnicky XDA Navigation Gestures is, but I can't go back to on-screen buttons. Is there any non-manufacturer-specific alternative that does the basics better (I'm just using swipe up from left=back, middle=home, right=recents, with an invisible pill)?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Google's decision making and strategy when it comes to their products can be frustrating sometimes (possibly understatement of the year?) My friend/co-worker who's an iPhone user brought up a very obvious point that I didn't think about when I asked why iPhones who already have Gmail accounts don't use Hangouts on their phone. Many friends I know with iPhones actually so use it and they like the app. We get to have out continuous conversation on multiple platforms and share high quality images/gifs etc.

He told me this reason he didn't is because Google makes it such a hassle to add people where as with iMessage once you have someone nunber, it's pretty seamless from there. For Hangouts, you need their Gmail account name and it's annoying to invite them and then they have to accept. Not sure if this has changed, but I think that he's probably right here.

As a part of Google's security check up, I'm pretty sure multiple times a year they ask you to add a recovery phone number, which they could use with the users permission to help locate others with Gmail accounts.

It's strange that Google never pushed to make this entire process easier because Hangouts is pretty solid. I see people chatting on Gmail at work all the time. It's their main e-mail client. Everytime I've seen someone leave the firm the e-mail address they leave for people to contact them has never not been a Gmail address. This points the common question I always seem to ask: what the fuck is wrong with Google?

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why WhatsApp's usage stomps all over every other messenger globally. Cross-platform, is a data based messenger, and uses phone numbers and existing contacts as a base. There's no way iMessage could compete much less Hangouts.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
Check out yuzu browser. Just found it just now, lots of customization. I'm still playing around with it, setting up quick control.
Edit : resetera doesn't display properly on it. Previous browser I was using, habit browser, worked fine but it hasn't been updated since 2017 and it was mostly language updates.

Looks like Yuzu browser displays resetera perfectly fine now.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
This is why WhatsApp's usage stomps all over every other messenger globally. Cross-platform, is a data based messenger, and uses phone numbers and existing contacts as a base. There's no way iMessage could compete much less Hangouts.

Except it's tethered to a phone unlike Hangouts and iMessage and has a shit userbase in the US where I live.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
https://youtu.be/HwC39_VcRQ4
This is shaping up to be a great phone for some true value. The Kirin 980 is a really strong processor for 400 or so euros, that back panel is absolute sex, excellent connectivity options with the rare IR blaster also built in, massive battery, and the cut out for the front camera is indeed smaller than the Galaxy A8s. Yes yes, EMUI, but damn is this phone exciting.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Why do people still complain about EMUI when Nova is around? I loved my Honor 8. Would so buy this V20 if I didn't already have a Note 9.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Android pals, this is a long shot but has anyone discovered a way to transfer a FFT WOTL save game from one phone to another?

Online searches suggest rooting but that sounds extreme.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
So I'm thinking about buying new Android phone by summer of next year. I currently have OP3 and besides terrible battery SoT, I have no problem with it. What are currently (or rumored) decent phones under 450€?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So I'm thinking about buying new Android phone by summer of next year. I currently have OP3 and besides terrible battery SoT, I have no problem with it. What are currently (or rumored) decent phones under 450€?
Nokia 7 Plus
Nokia 8.1 Plus
Honor V20
PocoPhone F1
Honor Play
BQ Aquaris X2 Pro

Some of these are also Android One phones. I excluded options that are stunted with bullshit like no Jack or Micro SD card slot, otherwise I would also recommend the Xiaomi A2, which is a SD660 phone for less than 200.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried the Alcantara cases for S8/S9?

Can get a good deal on them but was wondering how durable they were and if they can fit along with a full screen glass protector?

Also will they end up staining my pockets with fibres if I keep pulling my phone in and out?
A friend of mine has one for his S8 and let me tell you, it's not looking hot.
It still protects the cellphone, tho, but the case lost some of its alcantara. That's mostly my friend's fault.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
A friend of mine has one for his S8 and let me tell you, it's not looking hot.
It still protects the cellphone, tho, but the case lost some of its alcantara. That's mostly my friend's fault.

Well, mine turned up today so it's too late to worry about that now.

Can't lie I thought it would feel a bit softer, even though it still does feel much nicer to hold than a standard case. I can see myself getting used to this, as long as the durability holds up.

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Android pals, this is a long shot but has anyone discovered a way to transfer a FFT WOTL save game from one phone to another?

Online searches suggest rooting but that sounds extreme.

It's been a while since I've rooted but don't you have to wipe all your data to root? Your save might be lost... I would rather just play SP games on a rooted android emulator if they don't have cloud saves tbh. Kinda scummy of Square to not have cloud saves when the Apple version does.

Try checking if you can use ADB to obtain your save file

Husker86

Oct 27, 2017
Or ya know iMessage (which is far better than WhatsApp) took over before WhatsApp could catch on. Android users don't have a choice here. They HAVE to use SMS because of iPhone users using iMessage.

This is why Android users are ready for RCS.
Hard to say it's better when it's not really cross platform.

You're probably right that iMessage is the reason we don't use WA here, but it's not better as a messaging service because the experience is inconsistent based on who you're messaging.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Hard to say it's better when it's not really cross platform.

You're probably right that iMessage is the reason we don't use WA here, but it's not better as a messaging service because the experience is inconsistent based on who you're messaging.

A lot of iPhone users are surrounded by other iPhone users. The experience isn't inconsistent if everyone you message has iMessage.

how is SMS better than WhatsApp?

You are terrible at baiting.

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or ya know iMessage (which is far better than WhatsApp) took over before WhatsApp could catch on. Android users don't have a choice here. They HAVE to use SMS because of iPhone users using iMessage.

It's the other way around, WhatsApp dominated the world before iMessage got off the ground. This isn't about communicating internationally, just messaging with friends.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the other way around, WhatsApp dominated the world before iMessage got off the ground. This isn't about communicating internationally, just messaging with friends.
He is right, for America WhatsApp has no use outside of contacting international people because no one in America uses it. He is talking about America. So it is basically non-existent here. Most people in America have never even heard of WhatsApp. WhatsApp is irrelevant as an option.

iMessage is a dominant platform here, so Android users have no choice but to use SMS because you aren't going to get anyone to support a third party app for messaging.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
screenshot_20181230-12ye1o.jpg

I won't lie, this new earphone tuning in OxygenOS having a AirPods preset is pretty smart, I still feel they're one of the better Android true wireless options, so makes sense.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
Does android have anything similar to how Apple has Driving Mode/DND when connecting to bluetooth? I have a s8 if that makes any difference.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

How is it far better than WhatsApp? I'm curious because I don't have an iPhone and would like to know what I'm missing out on.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is it far better than WhatsApp? I'm curious because I don't have an iPhone and would like to know what I'm missing out on.

Privacy, UI, system/service/app integration, video/file transfer quality/performance, Mac/iPad support, messaging/payment/group features, backup, SMS fallback -- iMessage is in another league altogether across the board.

But it's not available on Android, so it's not an option for the majority of phone users.