• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Android worldwide marketshare is meaningless in specific markets where Apple dominates. Hence the lack of WhatsApp.

I hate iMessage because of what it did to the US. It's messaging segregation.

Ready for RCS Universal Profile and even more ready for Apple to support it so we can put this mess behind us.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
why would Apple support RCS?

Telco pressure and the inevitable death of SMS will force them to. RCS (Universal Profile) isn't a feature for text messaging. It's going to be the replacement.

Slide from recent GSMA event:
EyZWxTq_d.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Privacy, UI, system/service/app integration, video/file transfer quality/performance, Mac/iPad support, messaging/payment/group features, backup, SMS fallback -- iMessage is in another league altogether across the board.

But it's not available on Android, so it's not an option for the majority of phone users.
WhatsApp has all of that, sans the Apple features. Not so "on its own league" as you think.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WhatsApp has all of that, sans the Apple features. Not so "on its own league" as you think.

I use WhatsApp and, when on iOS, iMessage. WhatsApp really doesn't compare in any of those categories. And even if you feel the difference in performance, UI, privacy, featureset, etc., doesn't matter or is splitting hairs, WhatsApp certainly doesn't have SMS fallback.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why is SMS fallback being touted as a feature when iMessage users hate it, mock it and deride it and the color associated with it?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I wrote a huge post about how wierd and unacceptable it is for me to see people praising iMessage because of SMS in (almost) 2019 but I know this is a matter that comes up every month here and people will never change their minds so I gave up lol The supposed advantages of iMessage and the "integration" with iOS are just a joke, Apple forces you to use Messages over anything else and people end up thinking it is great because of that. On Android you just need to share stuff with other apps and they will automatically show up first for you the next time. Anyways, I won't change people's minds and I am sure in less than a month we will have a thread about it again lol.

why is SMS fallback being touted as a feature when iMessage users hate it, mock it and deride it and the color associated with it?

Because its the only thing missing on other services lol. If I cant write someone on WhatsApp I can just... Call them! If its not urgent to call, its not urgent to write either. This is a no-problem that people use to explain this "great" feature.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
what if they just don't support RCS?

I already answered this.

It's because people are either too lazy or tech iliterate to juggle multiple apps in the US. How is this not obvious?

Asking your 60something year old parents to use SMS, WhatsApp, Facebook etc separately for messaging is confusing for them in my experience. iMessage / RCS solves this so there is no app juggling depending in the contact. Both protocols fallback to SMS which is why it's a desired feature.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
damn the iPhone XR is legit ugly. After seeing it again in store, not sure why people think this thing looks good. iPhone X and XS are by the far the best looking iPhone's still. Also, I don't even consider them even in the top 5 phone designs that currently exist.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
damn the iPhone XR is legit ugly. After seeing it again in store, not sure why people think this thing looks good. iPhone X and XS are by the far the best looking iPhone's still. Also, I don't even consider them even in the top 5 phone designs that currently exist.

I agree x1000. I love Google products but think the Pixel 3 XL notch is pretty ugly. Say the XR is ugly to an Apple lover and they meltdown.

Enjoy 😂
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-iphone-xr-is-waaaay-uglier-than-the-pixel-3-xl.84368/

Last edited:

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Anybody else see the new Nokia phone?

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/1079552711081816064

This is so weird. It's their flagship phone (with SD845 I assume?) and they put Androidone on it? Why? Don't you only put in on low memory phones?

And 5? 6? lens? What the hell are those lens? 1 wide angel, 1 normal high-re one, maybe 2 telephoto? Why do you need so many lens?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
It's their flagship phone (with SD845 I assume?) and they put Androidone on it?

You're mixing up Android One (a Pixel-like experience with minimal manufacturer tinkering, maybe an app or two AT MOST, and OS/Security upgrades guaranteed) with Android Go, which is the version prepared for low-memory ultra-low-end devices and that can be tweaked by OEMs to hell and back.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
You're mixing up Android One (a Pixel-like experience with minimal manufacturer tinkering, maybe an app or two AT MOST, and OS/Security upgrades guaranteed) with Android Go, which is the version prepared for low-memory ultra-low-end devices and that can be tweaked by OEMs to hell and back.

Oh! Is Androidone the version on Pocophone?

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Nope, Pocophone is a tweaked MIUI. Android One is on all Android Nokia phones and some specific models from other OEMs, and aside for the Camera app and maybe the launcher, they're almost identical to the Pixels software wise.

What about Moto phones? Do they have Androidone? This Nokia has the weirdest bezel design, more old fashion than Sony phones.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Privacy, UI, system/service/app integration, video/file transfer quality/performance, Mac/iPad support, messaging/payment/group features, backup, SMS fallback -- iMessage is in another league altogether across the board.

But it's not available on Android, so it's not an option for the majority of phone users.
not using the signal protocol, and not being cross platform makes iMessage just bad. If you're not cross platform, you're not relevant.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
not using the signal protocol, and not being cross platform makes iMessage just bad. If you're not cross platform, you're not relevant.

Okay, but question asked was what advantages iMessage has over WhatsApp.

(There's nothing magical about the Signal protocol, either. WhatsApp doesn't use Signal, but it's the most popular non-SMS messaging app worldwide (while iMessage dominates in the US, cross-platform or no).)

What about Moto phones? Do they have Androidone? This Nokia has the weirdest bezel design, more old fashion than Sony phones.

Motorola has a few Android One devices, but its mainstream E/G/Z devices are not part of the program. Which is a pity, because apart from software updates Moto still puts out nice phones.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018

A. No one gives a shit about which E2E protocal a messaging app uses but privacy nerds.
B. As I already said multiple times iMessage doesnt have to be cross platform in some regions where iPhone penetration is high. In the US you are the odd man out if you are on Android. Especially with the younger generation.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Anyone MI 8 users here? As with my previous posting, I'm looking for decent phone under 400 and can buy brand new MI 8 6/128 for around 350. How is SoT and performance and photo quality after most recent update?

Should I bite or wait until new wave comes in?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
6 cameras is ridiculous, but the one thing that bothers me is the flash placement. Have a ring of 6 cameras, with a flash in the middle. That shit is irking me for no good reason.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Side note

Does anyone actually visit Joshua Topolsky's new site?

Isn't it crazy how out of site out of mind he is? At one point he was THE tech guy in the world. He had exclusive interviews with everyone. He was on the tonight show ever couple of months to pimp out new tech. He got his own interview show that was like a mock version of late night.

Then he got bored, job hopped all over, and seems lost to the annals of time at his new site that nobody ever goes to or talks about.

Am I crazy?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Side note

Isn't it crazy how out of site out of mind he is? At one point he was THE tech guy in the world. He had exclusive interviews with everyone. He was on the tonight show ever couple of months to pimp out new tech. He got his own interview show that was like a mock version of late night.

Then he got bored, job hopped all over, and seems lost to the annals of time at his new site that nobody ever goes to or talks about.

Am I crazy?
I had forgotten that name until now

Edit: Jesus Christ, found the website, god damn that was painful to read. That frontpage design is ass.

Last edited:

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Side note

Am I crazy?

Tech and gadgets have been incredibly boring for the last couple of years. I can't blame him for wanting to do something different. The Outline seems to focus more on internet culture, which is something he seemed to be interested in before leaving the Verge.

The new site got a somewhat weird layout but performance is more of an issue. At least on my S9 with the Samsung browser, scrolling isn't as smooth as it could be.

Anyway, they publish a couple of interesting articles every now and then but it's never a site I visit on a regular basis. What made me a fan of Engadget and the Verge after that were the various scoops and leaks they reported. Since that stopped, there was no reason to visit them anymore. But to be honest, I don't visit any tech site for news anymore, aside from Android Police because they still get scoops every now and then. But overall, it's just not interesting and hasn't been for a long time. While I listen to the Daily Tech News Show and Stacey's IoT podcast, I do it mostly for the discussions and tips rather than the news.

As for Topolsky himself, who gives a shit. He was never bigger than his products. Engadget, This is my Next and the Verge were fun because of the crew and not because of him alone. Him, Patel, Miller, Stern, Slavov and Bohn were fun to read and listen to, during a time when gadgets were still evolving at a rapid pace. Topolsky, for example, had a close connection to Mattias Durante, which got them scoops and good insights. Patel was able to put his lawyer degree to use and tried to make sense of the patent war bullshit. I'll also never forget Miller's wonderful rant disguised as a hands-on article about some shitty low-effort Acer Windows Phone at IFA. The others usually published some good reviews, sometimes with a spin (like Stern's "MacBooks are the best Windows laptops you can buy" article). I'm sure that all of that is still somewhere out there, but as the news got more boring, so did the people reporting on it.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I had forgotten that name until now

Edit: Jesus Christ, found the website, god damn that was painful to read. That frontpage design is ass.
I honestly would have thought The Outline was a parody site if I came across it without knowing anything about it. The brutalist UX is horrible to use and the tone of every article can only be described as "unnecessarily condescending".

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded from small Pixel 1 to small Pixel 3. I didn't expect much of an upgrade but damn this little thing is impressive. Amazing screen, fast as hell, the camera is fucking godly, and the proportions are perfect, sits perfectly in my small Trump hands.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone with eperience with Microsoft Launcher:

Im trying to get the light/transparent theme to stick with my daily wallpapers
But it keeps reverting to dark transparent.
Ive "i think" hunted through all the settings and checked reviews of MS Launcher and it seems after the update either the features have moved around or my phone is just gimped some how.
I cant set headers to accent color and I cant force Transparent Light with Slideshow wallpapers.
Am I missing something.

Light Transparent:
J7Abt59.png

Dark Transparent, which my phone keeps reverting to.
6bCloZh.png

GustyGardens

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I put it off for a while, but I finally made the switch to Google Fi. I bought the XL to go along with it, so there's that. They're giving me $100 dollar credit for buying the phone, too. My sister and her husband have had Fi for a long time now, so I used their referral code to get an extra $20 credit. Apparently, there was some referral promotion going on, so they're getting an addition $100 credit to their account.

My phone should be here next week. I'm coming from the LG G6, which I really liked. This will also be my first non-LG android phone in years.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I've been thinking about replacing my phone for a couple of months now and pulled the trigger on a Note 9, thing is, I was under the impression that Exynos and Snapdragon weren't all that different but it turns out the GPU on the Exynos are pretty... mediocre, to say at least. Not that I play graphic intensive games on my phone, but you never know, maybe down the road there will be one that sparks my interest, I should be happy about the huge upgrade coming from a OnePlus One but it still feels like a kick in the nuts on Samsung's part. Got the Note 9 for 599 €, but I could've bought a Snapdragon one for about 70-90 € more, not sure if it would've been worth it.

The other option was a OnePlus 6T for 650~ € but I absolutely detest notches, which was the main reason for getting the Note 9, specially after seeing that hole on S10's screen, I wouldn't be able to get used to that. I like what I'm reading about the Xperia ZX4 a lot, but oh well, it's too late now.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'll never understand the punchout hole. Like...they couldn't possibly move the camera toward the upper right corner of the screen so that it'd blend in better? Instead they leave a sliver of space that will have no use whatsoever.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the punchout hole. Like...they couldn't possibly move the camera toward the upper right corner of the screen so that it'd blend in better? Instead they leave a sliver of space that will have no use whatsoever.

A hole that close to the edge of the glass leads to structural problems in that corner.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously looking like I'm going to get the Razer phone come upgrade time. Not dealing with a notch or pimple suits me.

Just do a version without the selfie cam. I've used mine once in 2 years to see if I had conjunctivitis

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Downloaded Geekbench to satisfy my curiosity and I found the results kind of surprising, Is the Exynos that much better than Snapdragon on the CPU side? Specially on Single Core, seems to be better than the Xperia XZ4 above. How reliable is Geekbench?

dOr6TUh.jpg

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Downloaded Geekbench to satisfy my curiosity and I found the results kind of surprising, Is the Exynos that much better than Snapdragon on the CPU side? Specially on Single Core, seems to be better than the Xperia XZ4 above. How reliable is Geekbench?

dOr6TUh.jpg

Yes, SD CPUs have underperformed Samsung's own for years (although the difference isn't that much, as your numbers demonstrate). Geekbench is reliable for what it tests.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A. No one gives a shit about which E2E protocal a messaging app uses but privacy nerds.
B. As I already said multiple times iMessage doesnt have to be cross platform in some regions where iPhone penetration is high. In the US you are the odd man out if you are on Android. Especially with the younger generation.
So virtually nowhere?

Edit: "nobody gives a shit about which E2E protocol..." when I'm replying to a comment about privacy is hilarious.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are really out of touch with the general consumers of this industry.
With regards to privacy? General consumers don't care, I already know this, in just responding to the idea of iMessage being "better" due to security when it's obviously not true. In terms of iOS penetration, between it not being dominant in the US in the first place and it not being the first Messenger on the scene, it's far less important than some memes makes it seem.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017