• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
With regards to privacy? General consumers don't care, I already know this, in just responding to the idea of iMessage being "better" due to security when it's obviously not true. In terms of iOS penetration, between it not being dominant in the US in the first place and it not being the first Messenger on the scene, it's far less important than some memes makes it seem.

You don't live in the US, do you?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up getting a Razer Phone 2 on contract. Was only £10 a month more than my sim-only deal with the same perks (well, unlimited data is now 100GB but fine) so it works out at £240 for for the phone. Easy decision.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Again, I've stated I believe that Facebook chooses not to read/store WhatsApp messages (doing so would open them up to legal liabilities), but there's no technological reason that they could not. Encryption is a red herring.
No it is not. It seems you lack a fundemental understanding of what encryption, especially end-to-end, is and how it works.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No it is not. It seems you lack a fundemental understanding of what encryption, especially end-to-end, is and how it works.

If one own the endpoints, end-to-end encryption is irrelevant. Facebook writes and distributes WhatsApp.

Every key you touch while within WhatsApp could be read by Facebook (and by Google -- you have to trust the creator of your OS and any apps you grant input/screen reading privileges). Your locally stored chat history is [effectively] unencrypted and technologically accessible to Facebook.

All that end-to-end encryption provides is that messages cannot be read in-flight from one client to another client.

Again, I'm not saying that Facebook IS reading your messages, just that E2E encryption is not a determining factor in preventing them from doing so.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded Geekbench to satisfy my curiosity and I found the results kind of surprising, Is the Exynos that much better than Snapdragon on the CPU side? Specially on Single Core, seems to be better than the Xperia XZ4 above. How reliable is Geekbench?

dOr6TUh.jpg

You should read through Anandtechs Exynos vs Snapdragon comparison for the Galaxy S9. Geekbench didn't mean much this year as the tested Exynos chip displayed worse sustained performance in a variety of tests. In the end of their review they concluded that you should avoid getting the Exynos version of the phone.

I'm not sure how much Samsung has improved things by now. I'm sure in real world use, it's not a big difference though.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a preferred Camera app for Android? I typically have been using the default Samsung app, but I'm wondering if I should look into getting a better app for this.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else have troble with crackling sound from the audio jack on the S9? My S9+ has crackling static sounds whenever I use headphones and the sound is quiet. Like when a music track fades out and it switches to the next one in play music, or some youtube videos during quiet parts, or playing quiet horror games in VR.

It really destroys the mood and it has made me hate listening to things on my phone. I could get it repaired but I'm worried that they won't be able to hear the static since it depends on what headphones you use, or that it's a design flaw on the sS9 and all units have this. If they don't find any flaws with the phone they will charge me extra for it.

I have tried Sennheiser px 100-ii and Sennheiser HD 569 which both give a lot of static noice. Also tried koss porta pro 2.0, which has it but it's much harder to notice. On some low quality earbuds with no bass I couldn't hear it at all.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a preferred Camera app for Android? I typically have been using the default Samsung app, but I'm wondering if I should look into getting a better app for this.
Look for the Pixel camera apk hacked to work on other phones

Mind you, it only saves to local storage, not SD cards.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Does any of you have this issue where an app shows this message saying that there is no internet connection? This happens with Spotify, Google Music and Play store sometimes.

I think it happens when I'm on wifi. The apps are working fine and are connected so I'm not sure why that message keeps popping up.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung android really is so much better than stock android now.

Performance (and some dodgy design decisions) aside, they've always had really cool features first. I used flip-to-mute and palm swipe for screenshot quite a bit when I had the Note II. I also liked the context sensitive pages that were visible when I removed the pen or connected my headphone.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm enjoying the iPhone X but today I tried out the Note 9 and it just reminds of how much I miss my Note 4...

I kinda miss the S-Pen while browsing forums and reading articles.. I don't know, I might upgrade to the Galaxy Watch + Note 9 combo.. Thoughts?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
CES 2019 showing off improved options for wireless tech that both 845 and 855 will be taking advantage of

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the iPhone X but today I tried out the Note 9 and it just reminds of how much I miss my Note 4...

I kinda miss the S-Pen while browsing forums and reading articles.. I don't know, I might upgrade to the Galaxy Watch + Note 9 combo.. Thoughts?
I think you should keep your X until the s10 reveal (or even the Note 10)

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

While I haven't tried the newest Galaxy Watch, I had the Gear S3 for about a month last year and the lack of apps pretty much killed it for me.

The fitness tracking stuff was good, but I wanted something to replace my phone while at the gym and the Gear S3 didn't even have a podcast app.

SeZMehK

Turnip King
Oct 27, 2017
New York
All those who own a Pixel Slate, what are your thoughts regarding it? How is your daily use of the tablet? I read some reviews but wanted to hear some first hand experience views.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Installed the January update on the Pixel 3XL. It did improve video recording audio quite a bit. Was hoping for a more substantial update, but that was the only functional improvement this month.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got my Razer 2. While waiting on the apps to download and update and all that, I've just been scrolling the menus up and down. It's so smooth!

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This Redmi and Nokia phones are looking like great mid tier options for sure
Redmi is shaping up to be a great midranger series for the lowest possible price while doing nothing outstanding, while Nokia is on the other end of the spectrum. Much more superior build quality, camera prowness, and software updates, but price wise its a tad too high on the soc/memory option side. Nokia 7.1 for example is available at 350$/€~ with a SD636, which is highway robbery despite everything else. Nokia 8.1 less so with an SD710 for 400, but still.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Redmi is shaping up to be a great midranger series for the lowest possible price while doing nothing outstanding, while Nokia is on the other end of the spectrum. Much more superior build quality, camera prowness, and software updates, but price wise its a tad too high on the soc/memory option side. Nokia 7.1 for example is available at 350$/€~ with a SD636, which is highway robbery despite everything else. Nokia 8.1 less so with an SD710 for 400, but still.

Here in Portugal it won't be in carriers, so Nokia is The only option for folks who go for contracts.

I do love the phone and would recommend Redmi to anyone looking for a mid range

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the Pixel 2XL fabric case from Google for cheap (19€) on eBay and holy cow this is the best case I've ever used in the last 10 years. It feels so great that I don't want to lay the phone down but keep it in hand. No matter what phone I will get next this year or next year, but the fabric case will be ordered with that. The buttons also feel almost like the ones on the phone itself. Please Google, don't discontinue this type of case!

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the Pixel 2XL fabric case from Google for cheap (19€) on eBay and holy cow this is the best case I've ever used in the last 10 years. It feels so great that I don't want to lay the phone down but keep it in hand. No matter what phone I will get next this year or next year, but the fabric case will be ordered with that. The buttons also feel almost like the ones on the phone itself. Please Google, don't discontinue this type of case!
I have it for my Pixel 3 XL and it is nice, but I have doubts about it's actual drop protection it gives the phone. I feel like the screen would still shatter if I dropped it

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about drops, just dirt from work. I think the silicon inlayed cases are better for drops, but this should do for normal uses. But I don't have as much glass on the back like the P3 :P And a glass screen protector on front of course.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at real footage of the V20 that isn't a render, I have to say that the hole in the screen isn't as bad as it looks in the renders. Helps that Huawei shoved it into the left corner instead of doing whatever the hell Samsung is obviously doing with the S10.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at real footage of the V20 that isn't a render, I have to say that the hole in the screen isn't as bad as it looks in the renders. Helps that Huawei shoved it into the left corner instead of doing whatever the hell Samsung is obviously doing with the S10.
Well the budget and normal sized S10 models seem to do the similar corner camera as the V20, but the Plus model is the one that seems dumb with the double camera.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Well the budget and normal sized S10 models seem to do the similar corner camera as the V20, but the Plus model is the one that seems dumb with the double camera.
They're a little less in the corner than the V20 and they sit lower based on renders, which makes it annoying. Also the fact that it's floating around the right corner instead of the left corner, which is less appealing for some reason. And the hole looks bigger.

But yeah, that double camera is idiotic.

Realistically, until we get under display screens, the only ways to go are the mi Mix 3 way, with a slider screen (at the expense of IP rating), or something akin to this old Mi Mix 2 render, which had the camera wrapped in the bezel in the corner.

Left corner or right corner, that's probably the best way to go until everything goes beneath a sheet of pixels.

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
So is the battery of the normal S9 really that bad? I hate the fact that there aren't many options for a good <6' phone :(

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
https://www.gsmarena.com/redmi_note_7_official-news-35006.php

Redmi officially now a sub brand of Xiaomi, like Huawei and Honor, instead of being a part of their line up for midrangers and budget phones. Anyway, the SD6660 finally hits the entry level. The sub 200 euro market. This is finally the year where phone will likely start to get far more powerful for something cheap. Even if its almost 3 years old, the 660 is sitll highly capable, and more than enough power for anyone who just uses the phone for browsing and social media.Besides that, its looking to be a great buy. Micro SD slot, 3.5mm jack, 48MP camera sensor on the back, USB Type-C, teardrop notch, its definitely got it all.