• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. I'm reading a lot of reddit comments complainng about the battery, especialyl from peopel with the exymos version (I live in europe). Other options for a good small phone?

If you're looking for the absolute smallest while still packing good hardware, take a look at the Xperia Compact line

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
no 3.5 jack is a deal breaker for me, and it's kinda overpriced for what it is too :(
I like the XZ2 design. It fits nice in my hand too. Hoping the Z4 doesn't change much and ads dual cameras and I'll upgrade.
A little bit too thick and it doesn't even have an audio jack. From the leaks it seems it's not gonna have dual cameras though (at least in the compact version)

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I had an american S9+ for a little while and even that model seems to have a surprisingly short battery.

Not sure if i was just using the phone more often than normal (I don't think I was), but it would have less than 20% less at the end of a normal day, and could actually die by then if I used Google Maps for any length of time without charging it.

Oct 25, 2017
I had an american S9+ for a little while and even that model seems to have a surprisingly short battery.

Not sure if i was just using the phone more often than normal (I don't think I was), but it would have less than 20% less at the end of a normal day, and could actually die by then if I used Google Maps for any length of time without charging it.
Samsung fixed the touchwiz lag, but the trade off is a bit worse battery than you'd think with the battery specs.

My note 9 battery isn't amazing for the 4000mah battery.

Not really an issue these days when I have wireless chargers at work and home everywhere.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Samsung fixed the touchwiz lag, but the trade off is a bit worse battery than you'd think with the battery specs.

Not really an issue these days when I have wireless chargers at work and home everywhere.

Is yours Exynos or Snapdragon? My Us friends have better battery life than my European friends with the same phone habits using Exynos... Also anandtech confirmed how inferior the Exynos version is especially on the GPU department

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

That makes sense.

I probably wont get a new phone this year since I paid a stupid amount for the XS Max several months ago (and realizing with each passing day that I definitely prefer Android, even if iOS still has some exclusive games), but with any luck this year's or next year's Samsungs will be a bit more efficient, either that or One Plus 7T will be great and I'll get that and save a ton of money (hoping One Plus gets water resistence next year).

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I really don't understand the fuss over Exynos, I've been using the Note 9 Exynos for a week and I've yet to find any hiccups, battery lasts for 2 days, 4-5 hours SoT and 2~ hours music playback with about 20-30% left. I think they fixed the battery issues with the last couple updates IIRC.

Granted I don't play graphically intensive games as I have a PC for that and they eat battery insanely fast so their point is kind of moot IMO, I do play 2d games like FGO and it obviously runs at max speed. If your main focus is to play games on the phone you're better off with an iPhone IMO.

Some of you make it sound like the chip is worse than last years' offering or something. Yes, the GPU is kind of weak compared to Qualcomm's Adreno 630, but unless you're playing PUBG/Fortnite or the like it's not like you're gonna notice whatever phone A or B loads up an app a fraction of a second faster.

Oct 25, 2017
Is yours Exynos or Snapdragon? My Us friends have better battery life than my European friends with the same phone habits using Exynos... Also anandtech confirmed how inferior the Exynos version is especially on the GPU department
snapdragon.

My pixel 2 xl had better battery, but memory management wasn't as good.

Always trade offs, but it's definitely easier to 'fix' average battery with battery cases/battery packs, quick charging etc, than rooting your phone and tweaking stuff to juice up performance.

Oct 25, 2017
MY s9 exynos chugs pretty hard for a flagship. its always hanging and animations are never smooth.

my gfs pixel 2 xl is smooth as butter

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, even ignoring the 120Hz screen, the Razer has felt much snappier than the S8+ Exynos I've just come from. Not sure if that's just closer to stock Android and not dealing with Samsung's animations or going from Exynos to Snapdragon 845

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I really don't understand the fuss over Exynos, I've been using the Note 9 Exynos for a week and I've yet to find any hiccups, battery lasts for 2 days, 4-5 hours SoT and 2~ hours music playback with about 20-30% left. I think they fixed the battery issues with the last couple updates IIRC.

Granted I don't play graphically intensive games as I have a PC for that and they eat battery insanely fast so their point is kind of moot IMO, I do play 2d games like FGO and it obviously runs at max speed. If your main focus is to play games on the phone you're better off with an iPhone IMO.

Some of you make it sound like the chip is worse than last years' offering or something. Yes, the GPU is kind of weak compared to Qualcomm's Adreno 630, but unless you're playing PUBG/Fortnite or the like it's not like you're gonna notice whatever phone A or B loads up an app a fraction of a second faster.

Well, that's the thing.. A lot of people play these games. I do agree for gaming the iPhone is a beast there's no doubt about that.

The new Exynos 9820 should fix last year issues but the driver support is still a mess
over at Samsung's

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the thread to ask where I can find some good deal on the Android versions of the dragonquest and ace attorney games? Why are these so absurdly expensive? Do they ever go on sale or is there a site the sells a digital code or something for them at a lower price?

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Android tablets are pretty much a dead duck these days. Do any of you rock an Android phone/iPad combo? Assuming all the Google apps etc work well?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this the thread to ask where I can find some good deal on the Android versions of the dragonquest and ace attorney games? Why are these so absurdly expensive? Do they ever go on sale or is there a site the sells a digital code or something for them at a lower price?

They're full console/handheld games. Their prices are justified.

That said, they do occasionally go on sale.

Android tablets are pretty much a dead duck these days. Do any of you rock an Android phone/iPad combo? Assuming all the Google apps etc work well?

Yes. Yes.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Yes and yes.

It took some work to pull it off, but $425 for an iPad Pro 10.5 was a no brainer. Shit will last me like 5 years probably lol. If iOS 13 ends being a big upgrade, then that will definitely be a win.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a 3rd party case for the Razer and it blocks wireless charging. The wireless charger is in a weird place anyway and I have to prop it up to use on the stand I used on my Samsung S8+.

Might try an official case.... Or, god forbid, the official £100 wireless charger.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Fire HD 10 is actually very nice. And it's cheap. Goes on sale sometimes too. I got my ad free 32gb one for like $80 new iirc with some kind of amazon Citi promo. You can put the play store on it too.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The Fire HD 10 is actually very nice. And it's cheap. Goes on sale sometimes too. I got my ad free 32gb one for like $80 new iirc with some kind of amazon Citi promo. You can put the play store on it too.

This was great for video streaming and good for browsing. On my end it would randomly lag a ton every few days. I'm not sure if it was because of the Play store installed.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was great for video streaming and good for browsing. On my end it would randomly lag a ton every few days. I'm not sure if it was because of the Play store installed.

Yeah, I found the lag and the user interface unbearable. Fortunately, some old software on the 7 HDX let me install real Android to it.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at getting an android watch, but yeah I have yet to come across one that looks as good as Apples, if only there was a way to hook it to android.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone using Microsoft Edge as their primary browser?

Opera Touch is probably my favorite overall, but I a little wary on privacy due to the new ownership of the company. Chrome lacks ad blocking. Firefox still runs poorly. Brave is a cryptocoin scheme. The other browser developers range from shady to unknown.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone using Microsoft Edge as their primary browser?

Opera Touch is probably my favorite overall, but I a little wary on privacy due to the new ownership of the company. Chrome lacks ad blocking. Firefox still runs poorly. Brave is a cryptocoin scheme. The other browser developers range from shady to unknown.
Opera is my favorite/most used mobile browser (and I very occasionally use Brave). Can you expand on the bolded?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was looking at getting an android watch, but yeah I have yet to come across one that looks as good as Apples, if only there was a way to hook it to android.
I've heard good things about the Fossil Android watches.

The sell a lot of different colors and stuff and they have round displays (which I greatly prefer the look of over square or rounded square watches).

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Opera is my favorite/most used mobile browser (and I very occasionally use Brave). Can you expand on the bolded?

Brave is literally a means of pushing the BAT crypto currency. It's explicitly what the founder created it for, and he's been very public about it. The roadmap is first for Brave to block existing website ads, then insert new ads in and before pages (the ads are paid for using BAT currency and a fraction goes into the end-user's wallet). It's already enabled in the desktop version.

With Opera, there's no evidence of anything untoward, but I am more willing to enter banking information in an app owned by Microsoft/Google/Apple than by a Chinese conglomerate. I'm writing this in Opera Touch, as I'm not as concerned about my Era account info.

(If you like Opera on Android, give Opera Touch a try. The UI is very different; IMO much improved.)

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Amazfit bip is basically an applewatch knockoff. It's like $50 and gets good reviews. Battery lasts for like a month. More of a fitness tracker than a smartwatch though just because you can't really add much in the way of apps. Gps and waterproof though. Been thinking of grabbing one for a while now.

Oct 25, 2017
evotype.jpg

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...includes-a-miniature-soft-touch-nfc-keyboard/

OK this is my kind of dumb gimmick case. No clue if its any useful haha. Would totally buy one if it was available for other phones to at least give it a try.

usually during holidays, ace attorney stuff get price cuts to like $10. Not sure about dq.

I'm the lone owner of a tab s4 and I love it. Dex mode is nice for getting some light work done (and my tablet can actually connect to my printer unlike my chromebook), and one can't disregard a large amoled screen for watching stuff while relaxing in bed.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
evotype.jpg

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...includes-a-miniature-soft-touch-nfc-keyboard/

OK this is my kind of dumb gimmick case. No clue if its any useful haha. Would totally buy one if it was available for other phones to at least give it a try.

usually during holidays, ace attorney stuff get price cuts to like $10. Not sure about dq.

I'm the lone owner of a tab s4 and I love it. Dex mode is nice for getting some light work done (and my tablet can actually connect to my printer unlike my chromebook), and one can't disregard a large amoled screen for watching stuff while relaxing in bed.
Yeah I did think about the tab S4. It looks really nice.

I just held the 12 inch iPad pro and it's a thing of beauty!

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Well I think my Nexus 6 is finally dying. Keeps turning itself off after an hour or so and won't turn on until it's plugged in and the battery percentage is stuck back at 100% when it comes back on. Also makes a weird coil whine sound sometimes when watching videos or scrolling. Farewell old friend. Lasted me almost 4 years with one battery replacement and never had any problems till now.

Ordered a Mi Mix 2s, hopefully I haven't made a mistake.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I have been thinking about moving from iOS ever since the Note 9 has been announced.

I'm happy to report that I did so yesterday, ordered from Amazon the Ocean Blue 128GB Note 9 (Exynos variant) it even comes with a free 128GB Samsung Micro SD Card.

I haven't been on android since the original pixel so I'm quite excited, I'm coming from the iPhone X.

For me the biggest jump is gonna be having a S-Pen back alongside a 4000mAH battery compared to the current 2200mAH one I have on my iPhone X (90% battery health degrade in an year)

I'm still planning things out but I'll be buying the Galaxy Watch come the next sale.

I'll be using Nova Launcher with Google Feed with a Full black amoled theme from the App Store.. in terms of ads blocking I'll be using Blockada.

Now I have one question, how can I block ads inside Google Feed and Google News?

The sell a lot of different colors and stuff and they have round displays (which I greatly prefer the look of over square or rounded square watches).

I am torn between buying a Fossil Watch or the Galaxy watch for my wife.. hmmm

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in to give my guesses/predictions on the Samsung event. I have a feeling that the S10 comes out March 8th. And the 3 versions will prob have bigger battery sizes of 3100/34/41.........or thereabouts to support the higher power and bigger displays. Respect to Samsung for base storage of 128gb on all 3 in advance, they're always on the forefront of base storage so I think they will do this. I mean, I I think the top end one will even have 1TB storage option and probably a better material option like ceramic or something. Just makes sense. There will likely be camera differences between the base model and the more expensive two i.e extra lenses. Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor and emphasis on better camera and all that. On trend to boast about how many lenses you got.

I can't guess USD for obvious reasons but if I were to guess just based on direct conversions it might be ~650-700 for base, ~850 for base of second one, and 950 for base of third. Give or take on each.

Just wanted to give those guesses. Will be on my way now cheerio.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Just popping in to give my guesses/predictions on the Samsung event. I have a feeling that the S10 comes out March 8th. And the 3 versions will prob have bigger battery sizes of 3100/34/41.........or thereabouts to support the higher power and bigger displays. Respect to Samsung for base storage of 128gb on all 3 in advance, they're always on the forefront of base storage so I think they will do this. I mean, I I think the top end one will even have 1TB storage option and probably a better material option like ceramic or something. Just makes sense. There will likely be camera differences between the base model and the more expensive two i.e extra lenses. Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor and emphasis on better camera and all that. On trend to boast about how many lenses you got.

I can't guess USD for obvious reasons but if I were to guess just based on direct conversions it might be ~650-700 for base, ~850 for base of second one, and 950 for base of third. Give or take on each.

Just wanted to give those guesses. Will be on my way now cheerio.

I was gonna wait for the S10 but went for the Note 9 until Note 10 comes out.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My mum loves her Huawei tablet I got her so much, she's switching her phone from Samsung to them

Deleted member 14887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Androids Messages for web is a great idea it seems it's never wants to stay connected and I have to open the app on the phone to get it to reconnect which makes me just want to forgo the web page and just message through the app. I hope they make the connectivity better going forward.