• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Android tablets are pretty much a dead duck these days. Do any of you rock an Android phone/iPad combo? Assuming all the Google apps etc work well?
Yeah, I do.

All the google apps I use work.

The only app I had problems with was Google Music sometimes listing each track in albums I owned twice in a row (track 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, etc) but that's not a problem with YouTube Music.

And for podcasts I use Pocket Casts so my Android/iPad podcasts sync up and I can switch between devices pretty easily. It's all pretty good.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Speaking of Android tablets, my old Nexus 7 is pretty much dead. I'm looking for low-end replacement. Not gonna use it for gaming, just browse web and watch Netflix.

My budget is 100€, any recommendations? (7')

Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I recently bought a Note 9 after seeing that horrid hole on the display, so no. I'm not willing to buy a phone with holes or notches on their screen, hope they managed to do under-screen cameras by the time I need to upgrade again.

I also bought the Note 9 yesterday! Just finished up ordering my Galaxy Watch 46mm to go along with it.. Ended up selling my iPhone X and Apple Watch Series 3.

I'm curious to see what the Note 10 will look like but for now I'm quite happy with this big beast.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Removing the Huawei launcher over ADB from my Mate 20 Pro has made it so much nicer. Oreo style multitasking (with a reliable previous app double tap), better RAM management (apps seem to stay in memory way longer, it was terrible before) and Nova doesn't seem to be forced to refresh anymore, which it used to every now and again.
Starting to be happy with this phone.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

If true then nope to the Galaxy S10 (I guess unless it's the last flagship with a headphone jack?) I don't know if the decision to forego this is a move to control costs. After my next phone I likely won't upgrade for 3 to 4 years because all I really care about upgrade wise is an in screen fingerprint reader and better telephoto caera. I'm not going to drop money on a phone that they aren't trying to make future proof when they are perfectly capable of doing so.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After my next phone I likely won't upgrade for 3 to 4 years because all I really care about upgrade wise is an in screen fingerprint reader and better telephoto caera

5G (real 5G) is going to drive a lot of upgrades in 2020, 2021, and 2022.

2019 is a bad year to upgrade unless you're still on a 12-24 month cycle.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Internet speed has not been an issues for me at all really. Any annoyance I've had has come from design decisions on the actual device. Size screen issues have been resolved due to changes Samsung have made to their version of Android. Between that and fingerprint scanning placement, that will keep me on the same phone for a while.

Real 5G will be great I'm sure. I'm in no rush to hop on that wagon due to LTE being solid for me all these years. This was not the case when I had my Xperia Z3 Compact. I loved that phone, but it did not carry 12 band LTE, which I desperately needed. That difference in connection speed and reliability was one of the largest smartphone upgrade experiences that I ever witnessed.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
5G will not be a thing for most people for at least a couple of years unless you live in a big city anyway.

I don't know a whole lot about fingerprint readers but are in screen ones as secure as capacitive ones? They're just a camera under the screen (at least the OP6T one is).

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
https://m.gsmarena.com/geekbench_sh...y_be_the_first_with_6gb_of_ram-news-35060.php

6GB ram+SD710 would make this a ridiculously powerful upper midranger alongside stock Android. It all depends on the price now.
If this is true I'm guessing they are pricing it around the $500-$600 OnePlus 6T range and don't want it to look as outclassed as it already will. I find it really hard to believe they are going to stick 6GB RAM into their mid-range phones compared to skimping out on their flagship devices.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
5G is more of a home internet thing. For mobile use there is currently no real practical use imo.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
5G is more of a home internet thing. For mobile use there is currently no real practical use imo.

Yep, that's my thought as well. I'm paying $50 for Xfinity with 250 MBPS down. That contract price is set to expire at a time that 5G home service is more of a thing so I hope that pricing is competitive enough to give me options because Comcast will likely bump it up to $70 or something.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
After my next phone I likely won't upgrade for 3 to 4 years because all I really care about upgrade wise is an in screen fingerprint reader and better telephoto caera.
Out of curiousity: why the on-screen fingerprint reader? They just don't work as well, I would much rather have a rear one on my M20P

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiousity: why the on-screen fingerprint reader? They just don't work as well, I would much rather have a rear one on my M20P

Most of the time my phone is facing up on my work desk and like being able to unlock it while laying flat down and using it like that instead of having to pick it up and move it around.

I'm expecting that the tech is now good enough with the ultrasonic version as it's supposedly superior to One Plus's implementation, which is at least decent.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the time my phone is facing up on my work desk and like being able to unlock it while laying flat down and using it like that instead of having to pick it up and move it around.

I'm expecting that the tech is now good enough with the ultrasonic version as it's supposedly superior to One Plus's implementation, which is at least decent.
also, any % is better than 0%

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

5G is a waste of time, just the ridiculous amount of infrastructure required is going to make it flop imo, not to mention cost for the next 3-4 years.

And IoT ain't gonna save it either.

Money/incentives should've gone to broadband development in rural areas.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
TIL that you can swipe left and right on either the address bar on the top or the navigation toolbar at the bottom of mobile Chrome to navigate through all the opened tabs.

Am I too late?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Found the below info on the esato forums.

Looks like Sony's sending out their MWC invitations:

6-Yy-DBHD4qyi-O.jpg

Don't know exactly what it says, but the color scheme of the design could indicate we're gonna be seeing some colorful Xperias.

Also, this was interesting

Wonder what he's referring to.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the advice earlier everyone on using an iPad along with my Android phone. Did any of you pick up one of the new iPad Pro models? I know they are ridiculously priced but I love the form factor, screen refresh and sheer power.

I won't be doing any video editing etc so am torn on whether to splash out. I know there is a cheaper model but I like the features I've already said on Pro models and they will be more future proof.

Anyone rocking an iPad Pro for casual useage and do you regret it?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the advice earlier everyone on using an iPad along with my Android phone. Did any of you pick up one of the new iPad Pro models? I know they are ridiculously priced but I love the form factor, screen refresh and sheer power.

I won't be doing any video editing etc so am torn on whether to splash out. I know there is a cheaper model but I like the features I've already said on Pro models and they will be more future proof.

There have been some great deals on the holdover 10.5 Pro. It's the sweet spot if you want a great device now that will last into the future but don't want to go all out with the late 2018 models.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

I use my 10.5 64 GB iPad Pro almost daily. No regrets because I paid $425 for it before the gift card. It's also funny because I still use all Google apps on it primarily just like i did with any other Android tablet. The only downside is that Google Photo's is sometimes slow to load to my uploaded photos (stays blurry) whereas my phone will load it instantly in HQ. 11 inch looks amazing, but 10.5 is still superior because of the headphone jack. The top and bottom bezels are not a big deal at all - it's very slim on the sides. With the 10.5 inch version, you get the same refresh rate.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I use my 10.5 64 GB iPad Pro almost daily. No regrets because I paid $425 for it before the gift card. It's also funny because I still use all Google apps on it primarily just like i did with any other Android tablet. The only downside is that Google Photo's is sometimes slow to load to my uploaded photos (stays blurry) whereas my phone will load it instantly in HQ. 11 inch looks amazing, but 10.5 is still superior because of the headphone jack. The top and bottom bezels are not a big deal at all - it's very slim on the sides. With the 10.5 inch version, you get the same refresh rate.
Thanks didn't know this one had the high refresh rate also. Don't see any UK deals but will keep my eyes open. I've also looked at the Galaxy Tab S4 has anyone tried that? Put off by the thought of the usual Samsung bloat but it seems to get good reviews also.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

If you can spare the money, they're the tablet to get. 11-inch is the best for video content and the speakers are legit the best speakers I've ever heard in any mobile device, including laptops. The 120hz refresh rate makes everything look great.

Get the pencil regardless though, replace your notepads with the iPad, save some trees. Seriously, you won't regret getting it.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
To add to the iPad discussion - yes the 11 inch version will be more future proof. I don't think that getting the 10.5 inch version would set you back much at all. Just make sure to take care of your battery and it should be good for the long term.

My mom's iPad Air 2 on still fly's today on iOS 12 and has solid battery life. We got this thing for her 3+ years ago.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I also have last year's iPad Pro and it works great. I mainly use Google apps (and a few games, nothing more), as said before the only one that is less than perfect is the Photos that takes a few seconds to load the latest photos. I like how the screen looks, not just the refresh rate, but the colors and brightness. I only use it at home (aka: Chrome and Youtube mostly) and I dont have the Apple pencil though.

I think it is overpriced for what I paid and how much I use it (but I didnt have much choice because it wasn't my money lol), but I tihnk it is better to get an iOS tablet than an Android because Apple supports it's devices for much longer and I think most people don't replace their tablets as much as their phones, so it is great for future proofing and having support (iOS updates) for a long time.

Last edited:

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks guys for the helpful comments above! It's crazy how poor the Android tablet situation is at the moment. I was excited when I heard about the Pixel Slate but the reviews of it have been terrible!

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
Android era just bought a s9+ last night and realized there are shadow like lines on both edges of the screen(where display curves) is it normal or my unit is faulty

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
Android era just bought a s9+ last night and realized there are shadow like lines on both edges of the screen(where display curves) is it normal or my unit is faulty

It's probably a feature that Edge phones have where you can drag either side to access some quick functions. You can disable it if you want.

I don't quite remember what Samsung calls it though.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Android Q leaked today and not a peep about it from any of you in this thread.

No wonder random Android threads are more popular than here.