• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
What's a good low to mid-range 5" phone right now? Looking for a 2+ years update range.
The Android One Moto X4 is a good option but I'm not sure how long they promised to support it. To be honest, at $210 on Amazon it'll probably be your only good option. I can't think of any other small phones let alone ones that will have long term update support.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
As a dev, the permission changes are pretty wild and take some valuable cues from iOS (e.g. it looks like devs will have to provide reasoning as to why each permission is needed). Not entirely clear how it'll work yet with regards to background services.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Android One Moto X4 is a good option but I'm not sure how long they promised to support it. To be honest, at $210 on Amazon it'll probably be your only good option. I can't think of any other small phones let alone ones that will have long term update support.

The X4 is currently $165 at B&H Photo (US).

I agree that it's probably the best option, but any updates beyond last year's Pie are unlikely. Security updates should continue for another year, though.

Alternatively, wait for the Sony XZ4 Compact, but that's going to have flagship pricing.

The Nokia 3.1 is underpowered and lacks a finger print scanner, but should get updates and is cheap.

If you're willing to go a little larger, Nokia's 6.1 ticks all the other boxes.

If you can wait two months, new phones revealed at MWC may be available.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming the battery life is rock solid on the Pixel 3 Lite, it's one of the first Pixel phones to really tempt me. Hopefully great price, headphone jack, amazing camera, etc.
Unfortunately I just don't know if I can get by with 32GB of storage anymore, especially without an SD card slot.

My Moto Z Play has 32gb thats only has 5gbs of storage left and that's all just apps.
I know Pixels come with unlimited picture and video storage, but on my Z Play the photos, videos, and downloads all go to the SD card and I still barely have much space to work with.

With no external storage for Pocketcast downloads (I guess I could stream it though...) I could run out of space really quickly.

Maybe they'll release a 64gb+ model later on?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a good thing that Pixel 3 Lite video was in my suggestions this morning and i watched it already!
Android Q leaked today and not a peep about it from any of you in this thread.

No wonder random Android threads are more popular than here.
what 'new' features did they implement that was considered OEM Bloatware in the past?

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My LG G6 is pretty much one of the most severe cases of regret I had recently. Front camera is trash, battery life is bad, and now it takes forever to charge because it got wet a few times (used in after the shower).

I'm tempted to buy a Pixel 2 or 3, but here in Brazil they cost way too much. There's an import store around that sells the Pocophone F1 for around $600. I don't know what to do.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
My plan is to wait until the Note 10 (or whatever Samsung calls it) releases and the Note 9 drops in price, then I'm going to upgrade from my Note 8 to the 9. The only thing I want is the 600mhz support for T-Mobile and the bigger battery.

I love my Note 9 I came from the iPhone X and man how much I have been missing... Loved my freaking S Pen back in the Note 4

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed there's a Canada-wide ban on Huawei, ZTE, OnePlus, OPPO, Xiaomi, etc devices, technology, and infrastructure from PRC national corporations. They're obviously too fucking dangerous to use in the backbone of telecommunications infrastructure and to let their devices proliferate.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
So I have an S9+ I didn't like the new P update. It broke magnification button and full screen, and video viewing with magnification. If I factory reset the phone I can go back to Oreo, right?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
New images supposedly showing off the Xperia XZ4 (which might not be the name?)

68327346ly1fzc7k9vq7sj21hc0u07m6.jpg

68327346ly1fzc7k9rb8tj20kh1dcwgd.jpg

Presumably the bar on the right side there has something to do with Sony's new UI. I do like that they've gone back to having the fingerprint sensor on the side. And since it's separate from the power button there shouldn't be any issues selling it in the USA.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
New images supposedly showing off the Xperia XZ4 (which might not be the name?)

68327346ly1fzc7k9vq7sj21hc0u07m6.jpg

68327346ly1fzc7k9rb8tj20kh1dcwgd.jpg

Presumably the bar on the right side there has something to do with Sony's new UI. I do like that they've gone back to having the fingerprint sensor on the side. And since it's separate from the power button there shouldn't be any issues selling it in the USA.
Thats a massive nav/home bar

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
The pill shaped thing at the bottom? I assume that's an on-screen home button, but it seems to be on its own, it doesn't look like a bar
yes the pill home button, the vertical height of the space is pretty thick, it's about the size of the app icon. I guess it's to make it easier to reach

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
yes the pill home button, the vertical height of the space is pretty thick, it's about the size of the app icon. I guess it's to make it easier to reach

Hmm, I assumed you'd be able to pin frequently used apps along either side of the home button. Even if you can't, it's a pretty tall screen so maybe it's just done that way to create some clearly visible separation between the home button and everything else.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Fingers crossed there's a Canada-wide ban on Huawei, ZTE, OnePlus, OPPO, Xiaomi, etc devices, technology, and infrastructure from PRC national corporations. They're obviously too fucking dangerous to use in the backbone of telecommunications infrastructure and to let their devices proliferate.
Honestly if you want security just go iPhone I guess. I want to get rid of my OP6 as well tho and will never buy Huawei. Looking at the Pixel 3 atm.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
That is a stupidly tall screen, haha.

Should be great for movies at that aspect ratio, but unless it's a small phone it seems like screen reachability will be pretty bad.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finding good apps is hell. Search on Youtube is worthless. Techwiser is the 1 guy who would try to feature good new apps. I have $25 in Google Rewards credits.
I always say get Audify Notifications Reader since I found it 2 years ago.
Yeh I have $104 Google rewards credit lol. I don't play games so hard to find stuff to spend it on.

I wish you could convert the credit to a gift card 😁

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that does look like a Razr phone.

Curious how big the hinge part will end up in reality. These folding phones seem to need quite a substantial bump to avoid breaking the screen.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung finally pushed through the Watch update.

If you have a Gear S3 or Sport the update to the Galaxy Watch OS with Tizen 4 is out.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
https://m.gsmarena.com/meizu_zero_has_no_buttons_speaker_or_even_a_charging_port-news-35194.php

No buttons, no speakers, no headphone jack, AND no usb port. Charging and data transfer is all wireless, headphones are even more wireless than other USB type-c phones, and the speaker and lack of physical buttons are using previously utlized tecu that has been so and so. Vivo is debuting a phone like this as well tomorrow. 2019 is going for some weird market trends, I'll give em that.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
https://m.gsmarena.com/meizu_zero_has_no_buttons_speaker_or_even_a_charging_port-news-35194.php

No buttons, no speakers, no headphone jack, AND no usb port. Charging and data transfer is all wireless, headphones are even more wireless than other USB type-c phones, and the speaker and lack of physical buttons are using previously utlized tecu that has been so and so. Vivo is debuting a phone like this as well tomorrow. 2019 is going for some weird market trends, I'll give em that.
I have wireless charging in my home office and in my car, and I'm a huge fan. And listen to everything via BT. I'm ready for this future.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Wireless charging is still way too slow for me to bother with. Meanwhile, charging with a cable is getting WAY faster. The speed my Mate 20 Pro charges has completely changed my charging routine.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, wireless charging is good but sometimes I need the quick charging, especially when I am out and traveling. Maybe they can expose contacts for charging.

bakalhau

Dec 29, 2017
Lisbon (Amadora), Portugal
I'm so tempted on getting huawei mate 20 x. Only wished it had a in display fps.

Nevermind that, ain't worth it. Having the Mate 20 Pro, I'd have a regular back finger print if I could. Best thing was that you could even customize it to perform actions on it, like taking pictures by leaving the finger there. I had the X for a week and if I could've chosen to keep it instead of the Pro, I would've kept the X instead. It has mind-blowing battery life.

Just go and grab the phone.

Wireless charging is still way too slow for me to bother with. Meanwhile, charging with a cable is getting WAY faster. The speed my Mate 20 Pro charges has completely changed my charging routine.

Yeah. I understand the utility of wireless charging, but man, I'd take charging to 90% in 45 minutes any day of my life.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
One Ui Beta popped up for Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Unlocked. Just finished downloading it and Omg its freaking beautiful lol. I love how night mode makes the notifications dark too. Been wanting that for years.